Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
News article:

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/04/delaware_officials_look_to_tre.html#incart_m-rpt-1

This article states she died from septicemia (infection) and her death may not have been related to an attempt at abortion.

Maternal relatives have been found in Virginia and North Carolina, but they have no idea how they could be related to Jane Doe! This is really intriguing if scarce information; could Jane Doe or one of her ancestors have done something to earn disapproval and thus be one of those family members who was never spoken of again, meaning the relatives never got to know her?

This article made my day, thank you for sharing! Miss X is very close to my heart and I'm so glad there are new developments in this case. I hope she is identified soon.

No, actually bleeding is the most common complication.

True, but septicemia is a common complication in chemical soap abortions, when unsanitary tools, tap water, and irritating disinfectants are inserted into the uterus.*

I wonder if the soap found in her uterus was actually from a misguided attempt at treating an existing infection (like a yeast or STI).*

I still think it's puzzling how difficult it is to even find potential matches that haven't been ruled out. I wonder if it's because many towns and cities still haven't entered missing persons cases into NAMUS and people have forgotten the case due to time. I hope eventually we see new candidate matches and an eventual identification. The pictures of her are so clear, and it seems unlikely to me that no one missed this woman.

In the post-mortem photos she almost looks like Rose McGowen. I was always amazed by how pretty she was, her recons really don't do her justice.

So they have found her relatives but they can't identify her? How does that work? How awful.

My grandfather had a rupture with his brothers many years ago, and while they were still speaking to each other politely, we aren't in any way close to the other branch of the family. The brothers are all long gone and I'm pretty sure both sons are gone, too. I don't know how many children they had or where they're living. If LE came to me and said, "We have a dead young woman and DNA says she's related to you," all I could say would likely be, "Uh. Yeah, yeah, she probably is related."

Infection followed by lack of treatment followed by death.

Possibly her family were Christian Scientists?

Infection followed by lack of treatment followed by death.

Possibly her family were Christian Scientists?

This suggestion makes sense given the history of Christian Science and the timeframe of this young woman's death.

However, I do want to say that I grew up in a Christian Science church, and the church has greatly changed. I have met a lot of Christian Scientists and have yet to find a Christian Scientist who will not seek medical treatment for a serious medical condition ESPECIALLY when it comes to their children. Sorry to get on my soapbox and to sound defensive. I realize that the church has a negative past. I just also know a lot of very good people who are Christian Scientists.

This suggestion makes sense given the history of Christian Science and the timeframe of this young woman's death.

However, I do want to say that I grew up in a Christian Science church, and the church has greatly changed. I have met a lot of Christian Scientists and have yet to find a Christian Scientist who will not seek medical treatment for a serious medical condition ESPECIALLY when it comes to their children. Sorry to get on my soapbox and to sound defensive. I realize that the church has a negative past. I just also know a lot of very good people who are Christian Scientists.

Peace, Hannah. I intended no indictment or attack, just a possible scenario that explains the known facts and circumstances. Remember, apparently no one wanted this woman dead. She DID die, however, and this might account for why no one filed a missing person report. The people who should have been the ones to file it may have been the ones who did not get her medical care.

I thank you for your insight into Christian Science. You may have some unique insight to contribute in this case. Do you know what would have been the course of action if someone died while under the care of a CS practitioner at that time? Did they just not talk about them anymore, as if they never existed? It would seem callous and out of character for people of a religious nature to just place a loved one in a bag and dump her remains, so I have not entirely convinced myself of my hypothesis! However, anyone can panic when things go badly.

Anyone know if there are other religions that do not seek medical care, or did not back in the era of this case?

I think the mitochondrial DNA will lead to a solution. Genealogists will get to the bottom of it, they can do some amazing things.

I thank you for your insight into Christian Science. You may have some unique insight to contribute in this case. Do you know what would have been the course of action if someone died while under the care of a CS practitioner at that time? Did they just not talk about them anymore, as if they never existed? It would seem callous and out of character for people of a religious nature to just place a loved one in a bag and dump her remains, so I have not entirely convinced myself of my hypothesis! However, anyone can panic when things go badly.

Anyone know if there are other religions that do not seek medical care, or did not back in the era of this case?

I think the mitochondrial DNA will lead to a solution. Genealogists will get to the bottom of it, they can do some amazing things.

I completely understand why you suggested this theory, and it does make sense given the circumstances. It's a great point, and I'm not offended - just wanted to give a little more insight.

I have not heard of any cover-up situations or special protocols relating to Christian Science and deaths. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible - it certainly is. But from my experience, most Christian Scientists are laid to rest according to their family wishes - usually a "typical" burial or cremation.

Wow, this case is wild. Being able to talk to relatives and they still are not able to shed any light on this girls identity. If an investigator came to me with a relative I was not aware of I believe I at least could point them in the right direction, meaning what side of the family or someone related who may be able to help them. This makes me think maybe she was adopted or from an unknown branch of family. How strange. It just seems crazy, a healthy young girl and no one reports her missing! A girl who is with child, I guess if no one knew she was pregnant, no one would think twice of it. Someone had to care about this girl, though? I hate to think of someone just having no one. Know what I mean? So sad... I know she will get her name back. That laundry bag, LE knows where it came from and I think this is going to be the credible lead in the case.

Wow, this case is wild. Being able to talk to relatives and they still are not able to shed any light on this girls identity. If an investigator came to me with a relative I was not aware of I believe I at least could point them in the right direction, meaning what side of the family or someone related who may be able to help them. This makes me think maybe she was adopted or from an unknown branch of family. How strange. It just seems crazy, a healthy young girl and no one reports her missing! A girl who is with child, I guess if no one knew she was pregnant, no one would think twice of it. Someone had to care about this girl, though? I hate to think of someone just having no one. Know what I mean? So sad... I know she will get her name back. That laundry bag, LE knows where it came from and I think this is going to be the credible lead in the case.

Hiya Lost,
Well, given how mitochondrial DNA works, they may have found 3rd or 4th cousins in the maternal line. A genealogist will have quite a task, but. It can be done, as long as there is a paper trail to follow.
You are right about the bag. I'd start looking for relatives from the area that bag came from.

News article: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_3fd46b98-e462-5a4e-acbf-8edd36df3be2.html

* The relatives were found when Hal Brown submitted the DNA to a genealogy site for people seeking relatives:

Although four biological relatives were located, Brown said none of them recognized the woman or were aware of a missing relation, even a distant one. They were also unable to locate other family members who knew the woman.

* The genealogy testing shows she might be of Italian, Greek or Jewish descent

I wonder if they could use DNA from the fetus to attempt to locate the father's relatives. It's less likely to be successful, but perhaps worth a shot.

News article: http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_3fd46b98-e462-5a4e-acbf-8edd36df3be2.html

* The relatives were found when Hal Brown submitted the DNA to a genealogy site for people seeking relatives:

* The genealogy testing shows she might be of Italian, Greek or Jewish descent

Considering that this poor girl would have been born in the 50's, I think there's a high likelihood that the mother got pregnant, covered it up, and gave the baby up for adoption. If that happened, it's quite possible the relatives, especially the surviving ones, never knew about it.

Considering that this poor girl would have been born in the 50's, I think there's a high likelihood that the mother got pregnant, covered it up, and gave the baby up for adoption. If that happened, it's quite possible the relatives, especially the surviving ones, never knew about it.

Good point. I agree that this is a very possible explanation.

But still, no one knowing this girl? It seems she had to be with a man to get into the state she was in, right? Well I am sure even if they broke up he would be aware of this girl just disappearing off the face of the earth. Maybe she told him she was pregnant, maybe not, but the fact remains she was just gone. It makes me think maybe the father was there with her that night, panicked and helped put her in said destination. There is a man out there who was with this girl! I know I would know if some of my exes just vanished! It is just too much that no one knew her, We know at least one man did.

But still, no one knowing this girl? It seems she had to be with a man to get into the state she was in, right? Well I am sure even if they broke up he would be aware of this girl just disappearing off the face of the earth. Maybe she told him she was pregnant, maybe not, but the fact remains she was just gone. It makes me think maybe the father was there with her that night, panicked and helped put her in said destination. There is a man out there who was with this girl! I know I would know if some of my exes just vanished! It is just too much that no one knew her, We know at least one man did.

Well, yeah, somebody has to know she's there, because she didn't get in that bag by herself, and the father is a likely candidate. I was addressing the issue of why her genetic relatives didn't know about her.

O.K and iv'e been thinkin, we either have a crime that happened in NJ and he drove all that way for disposal, or the bag and maybe our UID came from NJ. It seems unlikely that our criminal would drive all that way just to dispose of a body, so when did this bag come into play? Was it just laying around the house, Did he or her frequent that establishment, or maybe the bag was being used by a family that had it for a while and meant nothing. A fluke to throw us off. It seems he would have noticed the writing on the bag? If you were the criminal would you have let a detail like that slip, it seems too obvious. Man this is just so sad. Someone has that one clue needed to crack this, maybe it will be the family or the business on the bag but this seems very solvable.

No wedding ring; I'd be willing to bet that the baby was not welcome in those days. My understanding is that Hal is saying that it's not necessarily a death due to an abortion, but that it's not ruled out either. Wouldn't it be wild if that were just a red herring, though?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back