Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this article. and much of the anti-death penalty argument, is that it characterizes the DP as "revenge". The DP, or any penalty, is not revenge, no matter how much an individual wishes it were. All penalties meted out as the result of conviction at trial, by US law, which is based on Judeo-Christian priciples, are to serve justice. Revenge is not, and never has been, a part of our legal system (although, certainly, there are people who attempt to exact revenge in individual cases; humans are certainly flawed).

Revenge is retaliation and carries with it a sense of "this person wronged me so now I get to wrong him"; "he needs to go through what I went through", etc. It's about "victimizing the victimizer". Justice, on the other hand, is about attempting to achieve "fairness"; about compensation, about righting a wrong. In our legal system, it ensures that the person who willfully takes an innocent human life (i.e. that person didn't murder someone) forfeits his own life. In my view, the very basis of civilization. Justice doesn't encompass "an eye for an eye", though, such as torturing a person who tortured someone else. It does involve ensuring that society is safe from that person and that the willful criminal "pays" in a way commensurate with, if not similar to (such as torture) the seriousness and gravity of the crime. If Casey Anthony is found guilty of willfully murdering the very essence of innocent life, a child who isn't even yet at the age of reason, and so not capable of choosing and doing wrong, she forfeits her own life.) Justice demands it.

I think the problems I have are with the way the DP is handles then. If you are going to give someone the DP, then lets not let it run on and on for twenty or more years. If we are going to have this as a penalty, then it needs to be carried out and we need to be VERY sure of the persons quilt, as there is NO take back if in error.
I had most times when watching trials feeling for the accused and really wanting the prosecution to prove to me 100% he/she is guilty. I am perplexed by myself, that in this case, I am 100% prosecution. I don't know why this is so different for me.

Life With Out Parole or The Death Penalty? and Why.

For me, it's a toss up....... Although I really want them to give Casey the DP.

I think they will give her LWOP due to a few factors like no cause of death, no witnesses to death, etc.

Although, from what I understand, it only takes a majority of the jury to vote for the DP so who knows?

If we don't end up with a hung jury, and she is convicted I somehow think the judge is going to have something to say.

Yes, the jury can recommend a sentence but JP has the final say.

I think Casey will get LWOP and only because I believe that Cindy and George will beg for them to spare her life. Even though Cindy will be proven to have lied, I think the jury will understand that she did it to save Casey's life. Premeditation was what Cindy was trying to erase from the equation. It does not excuse her behavior... and I still will NEVER buy anything they are selling. However, I believe that the jury will have some sympathy for them.

That, or they will think the best thing for the Anthony's is to have Casey erased from their lives forever... much like she erased Caylee from her life.

I wish someone here knew specifically about Florida prisons, but it was always my understanding that Death Row inmates have almost total restriction (23hr/day). I don't want ICA in the General Population, because she'll eventually (IMO) draw people in and become a Queen Bee, and I really don't want her having a good time.
For now she is a 'baby killer' but prison is full of vulnerable women ripe for the picking. I just can't stand the idea of her finding a girlfriend and living happily ever after.
Sociopaths adjust happily to prison (as I've read from multiple sources), and I want ICA as isolated as possible. So if it's DP that will do that, that's the sentence I want for her.

ETA: I'm a spiteful b!tch, that's why.

I wish someone here knew specifically about Florida prisons, but it was always my understanding that Death Row inmates have almost total restriction (23hr/day). I don't want ICA in the General Population, because she'll eventually (IMO) draw people in and become a Queen Bee, and I really don't want her having a good time.
For now she is a 'baby killer' but prison is full of vulnerable women ripe for the picking. I just can't stand the idea of her finding a girlfriend and living happily ever after.
Sociopaths adjust happily to prison (as I've read from multiple sources), and I want ICA as isolated as possible. So if it's DP that will do that, that's the sentence I want for her.

ETA: I'm a spiteful b!tch, that's why.

Here is a good thread about the prison she will be going to if convicted--

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73374"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

There is also another great thread that someone started who had a family member in the prison. I cannot seem to find it right now, maybe someone else can find it.

I suspect it will be LWOP if there is a first degree murder conviction. I don't think they will convict based on premeditation but since the child died while committing a felony (abuyse, neglect, etc) then that would count toward 1st degree. I doubt it will be the death penalty out of concern for KC's parents and also because of her age. It is unusual for someone to get the DP for a crime committed at the age of 22. If its 2nd degree or something less, than it will be a long a sentence as possible. Personally, I have very mixed feelings about the DP. I don't think it is a deterent and intellectually I don't think it is morally correct; but I know if my loved one was murdered I would want the killer executed. If she gets the DP, she gets an automatic appeal which I would resent. I would rather she get LWOP and is denied an appeal.

How old was Scott Peterson when he murdered Laci? He was a young, attractive young man and got the DP!!!

LWOP is ok with me but I really think she deserves the DP for the way she disposed of little Caylee....as NG would say, like she's trash.....and it's true!

I am almost scared to post anything on here anymore because earlier I was joking and someone got mad at me...I will just look at it as proof of how much we all care about justice in this case.

What I believe is justice and what I believe will happen are two different things.

I believe the jury will convict at this point, on what though, is the question. I do not believe she will get the death penalty, especially with her family not wanting that-they will have an impact on sentencing, I am sure. They are Caylee's family, too. What they say will determine it, for sure.

To me, justice at this point would be the death penalty. I will not feel justice was truly served otherwise, but that is just my opinion. But, I do think that her family's wishes are more important than mine.

IMO...The lessor of the charges

Child neglect resulting in death
The coverup of a dead corpse

LWP I think she would be treated better if she got the death penalty. This way she will be in general population, and the chances of someone duct taping her face are greater.

LWP I think she would be treated better if she got the death penalty. This way she will be in general population, and the chances of someone duct taping her face are greater.

DP: in cell 23 hours a day except for shower, no contact with anyone etc.

This is how her life in jail has been for the past three years.

Casey should have no problem with being on DR then.

I would like to see Casey get LWOP, but I don't think that will happen.
She'll probably be sentenced to life, but with an opportunity for parole eventually.

If there's any justice, she will be locked in her cell with a flipchart, forced to view Baez University telecourses featuring a never-ending array of "experts" on every subject, droning on and on in meaningless blathering about minutiae, whilst Mr. Baez interjects every so often to misspell or mispronounce a word in an attempt at "clarification". That would be a fitting punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member