Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Blink.

Why would Chris' scent be there? He disappeared from miles away, correct?

Hope you're enjoying your vacation! :)

fran

The problem with that is that if the scent dogs used to look for Chris were used to look for him PREVIOUSLY, the "hit" is unreliable, a fresh dog would need to be used. Unfortunately as was in Mike's case, I learned from some of the best handlers in the world there are many variables when using k9's. I would love to heart someone with first hand knowledge of that area comment on the findings of the monastary.

Thanks, I am, but am going to need a vacation from my vacation- our kids don't stop!!

But wasnt there the issue his Dad said he sounded confused about where he was and that cell phone pings had him 45 min away from where his car was?

I believe that the difference of location was from where Brandon had told his dad he was and where they found his car. I believe it was following the pings that enable them to locate the car.

JMHO
fran

DD- I know this has been mentioned before, but can you remind me where the info that Tommy Booth was "posed" came from- I have researched that again and again and I can't confirm it.

It came from denisenevergivesup. She is Tommy Booth's cousin and she posted a few times on here. She posted the info about Tommy's body position over on the godlikeproductions board on their thread about the Smiley Faces Murders. After she came here I pm'd her asking about the positioning. She verified that his arms were crossed across his chest and he was biting his lower lip. Sorry I didn't save the pm.

It came from denisenevergivesup. She is Tommy Booth's cousin and she posted a few times on here. She posted the info about Tommy's body position over on the godlikeproductions board on their thread about the Smiley Faces Murders. After she came here I pm'd her asking about the positioning. She verified that his arms were crossed across his chest and he was biting his lower lip. Sorry I didn't save the pm.

I remember her saying that too. Didn't she say he was biting his lower lip like he was cold?

I remember her saying that too. Didn't she say he was biting his lower lip like he was cold?

Yes she did say that. I think that his body being positioned like that and Chris Jenkins body also having his arms crossed and all clothing intact is too much of a coinky dink..they were in different states and years apart.

Another update on KSTP regarding a possible new case connected to the smiley face killers: http://kstp.com/article/stories/S502294.shtml?cat=1

2005 disappearance is getting new attention because of the Smiley Face Killer theory. It's a story of another college-aged man walking out of a bar and vanishing. Unlike many of these missing person cases that I've been reporting on and blogging about, this man's body has never been recovered.

Keith Ryan a 22-year-old from Springfield, Illinois was last seen on April 12, 2005. After a night of drinking in Peoria, Ryan told his friends that he needed some fresh air. He never returned. According to reports, surveillance cameras captured him walking alone on city streets.

His father, a retired Decatur Police Department Detective, has always suspected foul play. He is now considering that his son's disappearance is connected to 40 others across the country.

Ryan heard about the Smiley Face Killer Theory that we first reported in a 5 Eyewitness News Investigation in April. Since then, he's searched along the river for signs of a smiley face.

According to a new article in a Peoria newspaper, retired New York Detective, Kevin Gannon is now working with Ryan. The two are trying to gather police reports to piece together new evidence. In the article, Roger Ryan says, "I sent (Gannon) an e-mail the day I saw an article about the 'Smiley' case murders. He's interested in it and is going to try and connect" his son's case with the others.

Peoria detectives also heard about the Smiley Face Killer theory and considered it in the Ryan case. The newspaper reports that the Peoria detectives determined that there is no evidence to suggest a connection.

another son of a cop :(

I noticed that right away too! Is there a lot of victims that have parents in the LE? It jumped out at me right away. The only other victim that I can remember off hand was Matt Kruziki. His dad was a former Sheriff.

What a handsome young man...so much promise...these families deserve to bring their children home.

What do all these young men, 40 in all, 5 states, have in common: some with the smiley face grafitti some not.

1/ Athletic college student/male/good looking
2/ drinking in a bar and vanishing afterward

I am sure there had to be witnesses. These men had to be talking, flirting with many people in these bars.

Is there a map made up of all 40 deaths yet?

Which ones had the smiley face graffiti on them? What's the percentage?

What was the sexual orientation of these me?

Whether these men were seen or receiving emails prior to their disappearance? Were all these men's computers checked, college outside activities checked?

What else links them?

I am wondering if the guys were kidnapped and put in a chest type freezer alive, then later taken out to the lakes, rivers and ponds and slipped into the water??? just a thought
(Or maybe put them into a bobtail type freezer truck, alive but bound ??) Terrible thought and terrible way to die.

What do all these young men, 40 in all, 5 states, have in common: some with the smiley face grafitti some not.

I am sure there had to be witnesses. These men had to be talking, flirting with many people in these bars.

What was the sexual orientation of these men?

I'd like know more!

The ONLY thing all these young men have in common is that every single one of them was drinking and they died from drowning and/or hypothermia. And many were 2 to 3 times the legal limit or more. Many of them were NOT athletic; many of them were NOT excellent students and some were not even in college. Obviously if a kid is unathletic the family won't say he was unathletic or if his grades were sub par it won't be mentioned. Thats why many kids are not described as being athletic or academically advanced. But for KTSP and their ratings grab it sounds juicy to say all 40 were intelligient and also athletic. The kids families who died from foul play have seen their chances of justice fall back; due to this silly, unsubsantiated money grab that Gannon and KTSP have initiated. The ONLY killers in all but a few of these cases is alcohol, hypothermia and drowning. This is why Homeland Security; who employs Duarte as a supervisor; has completely rejected Gannon and Duarte's idea and also why the FBI and almost every police unit; has also rejected Gannon and Duarte's idea. KTSP held the story for 9 months as more kids died from 9/07 to 5/08 because this story was simply a sweep weeks rating money grab. There was no concern among KTSP or Gannon as to the safety of kids or they would have released the story PRIOR to Septrember of 2007; since KTSP got the story in the summer of 2007. Advertising dollars throughout the year are based in large part on the rating sweeps week numbers and KTSP hit a home run with their multi part smiley face killer story. And the "compelling" clue of Sinsinawa is not compelling at all because it was written at a Michigan drowning site 4 years BEFORE the actual drowning in Iowa along Sinsinawa Avenue. Of course Gannon and KTSP didn't say there was a 4 year separation in time. Again; Hypothermia kills in minutes and if a kid falls in and gulps water he'll go under and be dead in less than a minute often; he'll never resurface. It's a natuaral reflex for anyone to gulp water when they accidentally fall in water. Within minutes all body muscles tighten and the ability to swim is near impossible; and alcohol adds greatly to the muscle weakness and the disorientation as the body temperature quickly drops. Low body fat and athletic men will have their body temps drop much faster that the average person; as will children. There is not 1 shred of evidence at any bar or drowning site; of any foul play; except for Chris Jenkins. Not 1 bartender or friend has come forward with any suspicion about any one in any bar who they thought were behind a drowning death; yet Gannon says these crimes were mostly initiated INSIDE the bar. This is near impossible to believe that not one bar employee or friend had any suspicion of anyone they saw inside any bar; and that not 1 video inside a bar or outside a bar captured any of these kids getting abducted or slipped some GHB on camera. Chris Jenkins family spent close to $200,000 to investigate; and its the word of a jailed inmate and his story which greatly helped get it turned to homocide; yet still NO arrests; so even Jenkins is a complete mystery until there's an arrest. Personally I think maybe him, Szostak and maybe 1 or 2 other kids were murdered, but that's it. I continue to read this thread with interest; but there remains NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE of anything but accidental drowning deaths following many hours of drinking. Alcohol, accidental drowning and hypothermia are the only killers!

The ONLY thing all these young men have in common is that every single one of them was drinking and they died from drowning and/or hypothermia. And many were 2 to 3 times the legal limit or more. Many of them were NOT athletic; many of them were NOT excellent students and some were not even in college. Obviously if a kid is unathletic the family won't say he was unathletic or if his grades were sub par it won't be mentioned. Thats why many kids are not described as being athletic or academically advanced. But for KTSP and their ratings grab it sounds juicy to say all 40 were intelligient and also athletic. The kids families who died from foul play have seen their chances of justice fall back; due to this silly, unsubsantiated money grab that Gannon and KTSP have initiated. The ONLY killers in all but a few of these cases is alcohol, hypothermia and drowning. This is why Homeland Security; who employs Duarte as a supervisor; has completely rejected Gannon and Duarte's idea and also why the FBI and almost every police unit; has also rejected Gannon and Duarte's idea. KTSP held the story for 9 months as more kids died from 9/07 to 5/08 because this story was simply a sweep weeks rating money grab. There was no concern among KTSP or Gannon as to the safety of kids or they would have released the story PRIOR to Septrember of 2007; since KTSP got the story in the summer of 2007. Advertising dollars throughout the year are based in large part on the rating sweeps week numbers and KTSP hit a home run with their multi part smiley face killer story. And the "compelling" clue of Sinsinawa is not compelling at all because it was written at a Michigan drowning site 4 years BEFORE the actual drowning in Iowa along Sinsinawa Avenue. Of course Gannon and KTSP didn't say there was a 4 year separation in time. Again; Hypothermia kills in minutes and if a kid falls in and gulps water he'll go under and be dead in less than a minute often; he'll never resurface. It's a natuaral reflex for anyone to gulp water when they accidentally fall in water. Within minutes all body muscles tighten and the ability to swim is near impossible; and alcohol adds greatly to the muscle weakness and the disorientation as the body temperature quickly drops. Low body fat and athletic men will have their body temps drop much faster that the average person; as will children. There is not 1 shred of evidence at any bar or drowning site; of any foul play; except for Chris Jenkins. Not 1 bartender or friend has come forward with any suspicion about any one in any bar who they thought were behind a drowning death; yet Gannon says these crimes were mostly initiated INSIDE the bar. This is near impossible to believe that not one bar employee or friend had any suspicion of anyone they saw inside any bar; and that not 1 video inside a bar or outside a bar captured any of these kids getting abducted or slipped some GHB on camera. Chris Jenkins family spent close to $200,000 to investigate; and its the word of a jailed inmate and his story which greatly helped get it turned to homocide; yet still NO arrests; so even Jenkins is a complete mystery until there's an arrest. Personally I think maybe him, Szostak and maybe 1 or 2 other kids were murdered, but that's it. I continue to read this thread with interest; but there remains NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE of anything but accidental drowning deaths following many hours of drinking. Alcohol, accidental drowning and hypothermia are the only killers!
We are here to discuss these cases. Though your opinion is sincerely appreciated, IMHO what has been asked by KR2 has not been addressed in your response. We need to stay on topic if we're ever going to make headway. This is the "quiet time" and the best time to put all our heads together and try to answer the questions posed.

What was the sexual orientation of these me?

Whether these men were seen or receiving emails prior to their disappearance? Were all these men's computers checked, college outside activities checked?

What else links them?
I've often wondered if the computers have been put through the necessary forensics. Somehow, I think there is a link there. Unfortunately, because of the circumstances surrounding these young men's deaths (drunk college kids), LE has once, again, "assumed" too much...and looked very little.

So much for these are all just young guys out drinking too much and caused their own death or disappearance. Guess this can dispel some of that, I would think. After all, IF this young man wasn't found, we probably would have put him on the list too!:eek:

Oh, wait, that was TWO missing young men. Imagine that, Keith disappeared while walking home alone on 4th of July night.

JMHO
fran

http://www.wbay.com/global/story.asp?s=8647472

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (AP) - Two missing men have been found in Saratoga, and police have arrested a third man.

1 of the men found was 23-year-old Keith Karnatz, who disappeared Friday after telling friends he was going to walk home from Fourth of July fireworks in Wisconsin Rapids.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080709/APC0101/80709073

Missing men were held captive in central Wisconsin

A $1 million cash bond was set in Wood County Circuit Court this afternoon for 46-year-old Edward J. Lanphear, who police say took two men against their will and held them captive.
Keith Karnatz, 23, of Grand Rapids, who had been missing since Friday, was found Tuesday in Saratoga, a rural town east of Wisconsin Rapids in Wood County.

Another man, reported missing Tuesday in Wisconsin Rapids, was found near the intersection of Mill Road and 52nd Street. Investigators were withholding further information about the second man today.

My question is, how long has this guy been doing this?

fran

http://www.waow.com/global/story.asp?s=8648797

Wood County "House of Horrors"

Posted: July 9, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

by Meg Bonacorsi

WOOD COUNTY (WAOW) -- Police identify the second missing man who disappeared from Wisconsin Rapids early Tuesday morning.

Newsline 9 has learned the names of both men, but chooses not to release them due to the nature of this case.

The 21-year-old, awoke hanging up in the garage, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The 21-year-old man reported that he was at a bar, passed out in his car and woke up chained, locked and naked in the garage.

The 21-year-old then escaped from the garage and went to a neighbor's home, where police were notified.

Once police went to the 52nd Street home in the town of Saratoga, they found a 23-year-old man, who was reported missing late Friday night.

<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>

We are here to discuss these cases. Though your opinion is sincerely appreciated, IMHO what has been asked by KR2 has not been addressed in your response. We need to stay on topic if we're ever going to make headway. This is the "quiet time" and the best time to put all our heads together and try to answer the questions posed.

RR is right, as per usual, your opinion is not supported by fact. Let's stay on topic and appreciate those with experience that those of us do not posess.

A 23-year-old man was held in Lanphear's home from Saturday until Tuesday, according to an affidavit filed by sheriff's investigators seeking support for Lanphear's arrest. The young man had told friends Friday that he was going to walk home after a fireworks show, the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune reported.

Lanphear was driving the man home when he pulled over, told him he was a police officer and handcuffed him, the affidavit said.

When one of the handcuffs became loose, Lanphear hit the man in the head and knocked him out, the document said. When the man revived, he was chained up in Lanphear's basement.

The affidavit said Lanphear used a knife to cut off the man's clothing and sexually assaulted him at least three times while he was restrained.

~snip~

Another affidavit says that sometime Sunday or Monday a 21-year-old man got drunk at a Wisconsin Rapids bar and passed out in his car, then later woke up naked and hanging in Lanphear's garage by locked chains.

He told authorities Lanphear hit him with a metal pipe and sexually assaulted him. His hands were bound by chains and flex cuffs, and he was blindfolded, the affidavit says.

The 21-year-old man identified his captor, saying Lanphear frequented the same Wisconsin Rapids bar, the documents said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379285,00.html (Bolded by me)

This story jumped out at me. Could it be connected? The men are about the right age. At least one was drinking, but they have not reported on the other one yet. I just think this is something we should look at.

They have a thread on him here and is where I found his myspace page. Look at it closely and tell me if you see anything familiar: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=186412465

The Temple student is another one that should be considered. Do we know any more about that case?! Maybe someone could write the reporter who did that initial story. I want to know everything we can about that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState