Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
quote; seriouslysearching

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379285,00.html
snip;This story jumped out at me. Could it be connected? The men are about the right age. At least one was drinking, but they have not reported on the other one yet. I just think this is something we should look at.

SS,IIRC none of the missing/found in bodies of water were sexually assaulted?
snip;They have a thread on him here and is where I found his myspace page. Look at it closely and tell me if you see anything familiar: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=186412465

SS,Okay. I give up. What is familiar? lol
He looks like a real creep but I didn't see much else on there. He doesn't even have a blog (that I could find).

I believe we should keep an eye on this case. Who knows how long this guy has been going around Wisconsin doing this. Heck, he had abducted two guys in one weekend. Both young men disappeared just like the young men in this forum. After a night of drinking, alone, outside the bar or walking home alone, late at night or early morning hours.

JMHO
fran

CAUTION TO READER, ADULT CONTENT

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/assets/pdf/U011247579.PDF

Probable Cause Affidavit.

snip;This story jumped out at me. Could it be connected? The men are about the right age. At least one was drinking, but they have not reported on the other one yet. I just think this is something we should look at.

snip;They have a thread on him here and is where I found his myspace page. Look at it closely and tell me if you see anything familiar: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=186412465
He looks like a real creep but I didn't see much else on there. He doesn't even have a blog (that I could find).

Both of these guys disappeared exactly like many of the young men in this forum.

One had been at a bar. He went to his car and fell asleep in the parking lot. He woke up in an unfamiliar surrounding (suspects home), bound with chains and his clothes removed.

The other victim had been out celebrating the 4th of July with friends, he'd been drinking. When his friends wanted to go to another bar, he decided he wanted to go home. He'd had a great deal to drink. While he walked home, he tried to call a few people to get a ride. They all turned him down. This guy pulled over, offered him a ride, and after he accepted was handcuffed and knocked out. He too woke up inside the suspects residence, and was restrained with chains.

Water destroys evidence plus many of the young men in this forum have disappeared without a trace. IMO, that's most likely what would have happened to these two young men.

We do NOT know yet if the other cases here are in any way connected, but who knows, some may be. I think we should watch this case closely.

JMHO
fran

This guy is scary. Because of lack of serious injuries in most of the drowning cases, I'm not sure he could be connected to the vics that ended up in the water. But he certainly could be connected to the ones who were never found.

Thanks Fran!

I wonder if this scary dude owns a van?

I don't know about a van SuziQ. But he owned a truck which LE has taken in to go over.

I also read that various jurisdictions are getting together to discuss the case. I think they're going to be contacted by a few other jurisdictions as well. Seems this guy liked to hang out at a number of bars around town and was always with younger guys, ie 20's.

Oh, he's been divorced since about '97.

You're right, he could be responsible for SOME of the disappearances of other young men in and around Wisconsin.

JMHO
fran

This guy is scary. Because of lack of serious injuries in most of the drowning cases, I'm not sure he could be connected to the vics that ended up in the water. But he certainly could be connected to the ones who were never found.
If the injuries had time to heal after he abducted them...were they looked at as part of the initial crime? He didn't give them a skull fracture, just a bump on the head and a concussion it sounds like. While some of the vics showed up right away...many took months to show up in the water.

***********************Define the sexual assault. Frankly, a bj would never be detected and, like I mentioned before, if there is time between the abduction and when they are found...other wounds could heal. snip;They have a thread on him here and is where I found his myspace page. Look at it closely and tell me if you see anything familiar: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=186412465

Death metal, heavy metal, and the other "music" he is into look familiar to me and the groups he is associated with also raise a red flag.

How many "wounds" have they taken for granted have been inflicted by debris in the water, too?

RR is right, as per usual, your opinion is not supported by fact. Let's stay on topic and appreciate those with experience that those of us do not possess.
There is a handy tool we have that will simply allow us the freedom not to read posts and save time. It is called ignore. I recommend it highly. :)

If the injuries had time to heal after he abducted them...were they looked at as part of the initial crime? He didn't give them a skull fracture, just a bump on the head and a concussion it sounds like. While some of the vics showed up right away...many took months to show up in the water.

I'm not saying discount the found vics. But he does appear to like to inflict injury. Doesn't mean he operated the same way with either vic. Then I think how closely did the ME's and LE's ever look? Some were deemed accidental drownings as the bodies were zipped up into a body bag.

Here's another article from the Green Bay paper:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/GPG0101/80710061/1978

WISCONSIN RAPIDS — Investigators plan an “exhaustive” investigation into the background of a man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting two young men to see whether he is connected to other cases, the Wood County sheriff said today.

Thomas Reichert said his agency will dig into Edward Lanphear’s past and cross-reference him with other missing persons cases. Other law enforcement agencies likely will do the same, he said.

More at the link.

I'm not saying discount the found vics. But he does appear to like to inflict injury. Doesn't mean he operated the same way with either vic. Then I think how closely did the ME's and LE's ever look? Some were deemed accidental drownings as the bodies were zipped up into a body bag.
When they detemine the COD as drowning, they have to go with accidental unless they can prove motive or have other evidence which obviously has never been found in these cases. It doesn't mean the men did not have other marks on them as many did. They determined those to have been caused by debris etc. No one ever examined them close enough to determine if a tool caused them or not, imo.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-wisconsinabductio,0,7438072.story

Past of man accused in Wis. abductions examined

By ROBERT IMRIE and TODD RICHMOND | Associated Press Writers

2:05 PM CDT, July 10, 2008

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. - Investigators plan an "exhaustive" investigation into the background of a man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting two young men to see if he is connected to other cases, the Wood County sheriff said Thursday.

Thomas Reichert said his agency will dig into Edward Lanphear's past and cross-reference him with other missing persons cases. Other law enforcement agencies likely will do the same, he said.

Lanphear, 46, of the Town of Saratoga, is being held on $1 million bond after police say he held two men in his house, stripped them, beat them and sexually assaulted them several times.

Lanphear's attorney has disputed the allegations. Formal charges have not yet been filed.

<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>

Lanphear's next door neighbor Dave Kostyn, 42, described him as an average guy who enjoyed fishing, hunting and playing pool. The two also worked together at a local paper mill.

Lanphear had joint custody of his son, who often practiced target shooting at his range, Kostyn said. He never saw Lanphear drink, but sometimes he would send his son over with a beer when Kostyn was mowing the lawn. It was a neighborly thing to do, he said.

"I have nothing but good to say about the guy," Kostyn said. About the allegations, he said, "Everybody at the mill, everybody who knows him is flabbergasted. It is just unbelievable."

<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>

Death metal, heavy metal, and the other "music" he is into look familiar to me and the groups he is associated with also raise a red flag.

How many "wounds" have they taken for granted have been inflicted by debris in the water, too?
***********************Define the sexual assault. Frankly, a bj would never be detected and, like I mentioned before, if there is time between the abduction and when they are found...other wounds could heal.

Good point. I am hoping, wishing, and praying that the 40+ missing/drowned guys were not ever sexually assalted (in any way shape or form)

Lanpear is definitely a real creep-pervert. What's a 46 year old doing on myspace anywho!?!?

As Fran previously posted he was divorced in '97. Coulda been the trigger for this type of behavior. whew. makes me sick to my stomach:sick:

Both of these guys disappeared exactly like many of the young men in this forum.

One had been at a bar. He went to his car and fell asleep in the parking lot. He woke up in an unfamiliar surrounding (suspects home), bound with chains and his clothes removed.

The other victim had been out celebrating the 4th of July with friends, he'd been drinking. When his friends wanted to go to another bar, he decided he wanted to go home. He'd had a great deal to drink. While he walked home, he tried to call a few people to get a ride. They all turned him down. This guy pulled over, offered him a ride, and after he accepted was handcuffed and knocked out. He too woke up inside the suspects residence, and was restrained with chains.

Water destroys evidence plus many of the young men in this forum have disappeared without a trace. IMO, that's most likely what would have happened to these two young men.

We do NOT know yet if the other cases here are in any way connected, but who knows, some may be. I think we should watch this case closely.

JMHO
fran

It sounds like the guy that fell asleep in the car may have been drugged - he was asleep in his car and woke up hanging in the garage. I would think that if he was simply drunk and passed out in his car, he would have woken up sometime during the abduction. :waitasec:
I know that many of us thought that the missing/drowned college guys may have been drugged with GHB or Ecstasy or some other hard to detect drug. May have been this creep-perverts MO too.

JMHO
fran

Hi Fran
I understand the similarities between these two victims and the 40+ victims and totally agree that they are eerily similar. I was just asking SS the answer to her question re: the creeps myspace and anything familiar. I didn't see anything familiar. Her answer was the music. Not arguing, just clarifiying :blowkiss:

It sounds like the guy that fell asleep in the car may have been drugged - he was asleep in his car and woke up hanging in the garage. I would think that if he was simply drunk and passed out in his car, he would have woken up sometime during the abduction. :waitasec:
I know that many of us thought that the missing/drowned college guys may have been drugged with GHB or Ecstasy or some other hard to detect drug. May have been this creep-perverts MO too.

I agree that some of these guys could have very well been drugged. That could be why the one guy who survived drowning, didn't know how he got into the river.

IMO, I believe many LE agencies all over that area are taking a quick look at some of their missings. They were all so quick to chalk them off to 'boys just having fun and doing something stupid,' NEVER dreaming there was a 'perv' like this guy in the midst.

Let's face it. Now that we know about HIM, how many more are there?:eek:

JMHO
fran

I agree that some of these guys could have very well been drugged. That could be why the one guy who survived drowning, didn't know how he got into the river.

IMO, I believe many LE agencies all over that area are taking a quick look at some of their missings. They were all so quick to chalk them off to 'boys just having fun and doing something stupid,' NEVER dreaming there was a 'perv' like this guy in the midst.

Let's face it. Now that we know about HIM, how many more are there?:eek:

JMHO
fran

The neighbors and co-workers state that this guy was just a quiet hard working type. The kind that flies under the radar IMO. He seemed to abduct these two guys so quickly, quietly and easily. Like you, I ask how many more are there going to be. I'm feeling sick.

Interesting about the Mom who said that Lanphear tried to get her 13 year old to hang out and shoot guns. I'm sure she is thankful that she never let her son go!
"Robin Smalley, 45, lives near Lanphear in a rural subdivision with large, wooded lots. She met him two years ago when their sons took a hunter safety class together.

Smalley described Lanphear as a quiet but friendly man who worked hard and had a nice home and truck. He "latched onto" her 13-year-old son and wanted the boy to shoot at the range behind his house, she said. Her son never went"

reposting the link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-wisconsinabductio,0,7438072.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members