Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RR is right, as per usual, your opinion is not supported by fact. Let's stay on topic and appreciate those with experience that those of us do not posess.

For the 1 or 2 kids who might have been murdered; including Josh Szostak; Gannon has only set their cases back. Instead of trying to link 40 cases over 11 years; the real help would be to target a few cases individually that might actually have been murders and try to help those families. The number of accidental drowning deaths among young men who have been drinking; hasn't changed in 40+ years. That's not an opinion; its a fact. So are the hypothermia links I posted. Every death exactly matches what a death from an alcohol related accidental drowning/hypothermia death looks like; with no trauma, no robbery, no nothing; but an unfortunate accident. So I looked at individual cases for any that might be different. Early reports were that Josh Szostak had a lot of money on him and a gold chain that was missing; so I view his as maybe the only murder here. But his case is closed; thanx in part; maybe to the bs hype created by Gannon and KTSP's money grab. Let's not be naive. KTSP held the story for 9 months; just to intemtionally release it during ratings sweeps weeks. This sends up an immediate red flag to anyone with a shred of common sense that the story could easily be complete garbage. KTSP broke the story into several parts so they could run it each night of the week because ad revenue throughout the year is based in large part on the results of the entire ratings sweeps week. I know you people think Gannon's great, but his claim to have come forward to warn others; makes absolutely no sense at all because if he was really concerned about saving lives; he would not have waited and watched 8 more boys die from drowning or disappear; from September of 2007 until April of 2008. He would have insisted on the story being released BEFORE the time frame of the deaths; which has been from September to May. So if you want to save lives you release the story in late August of 2007 BEFORE the school year starts and BEFORE the deaths begin happenning and you warn young men to stick together during the 2007-2008 school year. This wasn't done because sweeps week was the end of April; not the end of August. If KTSP and Gannon never say another word about this case; then what? That's my point here(to help those that look like murders)

My question is, how long has this guy been doing this?

fran

http://www.waow.com/global/story.asp?s=8648797

Wood County "House of Horrors"

Posted: July 9, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

by Meg Bonacorsi

WOOD COUNTY (WAOW) -- Police identify the second missing man who disappeared from Wisconsin Rapids early Tuesday morning.

Newsline 9 has learned the names of both men, but chooses not to release them due to the nature of this case.

The 21-year-old, awoke hanging up in the garage, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The 21-year-old man reported that he was at a bar, passed out in his car and woke up chained, locked and naked in the garage.

The 21-year-old then escaped from the garage and went to a neighbor's home, where police were notified.

Once police went to the 52nd Street home in the town of Saratoga, they found a 23-year-old man, who was reported missing late Friday night.

<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>

Fran, disturbing news story and I hope this guy gets life in prison and the max, but this is a kidnapping and sexual assault case; which involves trauma to the body. So it has no connection to any kid who drowns after a night of drinking

There is a handy tool we have that will simply allow us the freedom not to read posts and save time. It is called ignore. I recommend it highly. :)

You have 40 men who died from drowing who showed no trauma and you think they might relate to a guy who's arrested for knocking a kid unconscious with a BLOW to the head; chaining him up and BEATING him as the cops have said and then committing sexual ASSAULT??? A man chains and beats 2 men and commits sexual assault and you think it could connect to 40 others who drowned with ZERO trauma??? He might have killed others who never were found, but this clearly does not connect to any of the 40 cases Gannon and KTSP promoted. You're right; there are some posts that should be ignored

Fran, disturbing news story and I hope this guy gets life in prison and the max, but this is a kidnapping and sexual assault case; which involves trauma to the body. So it has no connection to any kid who drowns after a night of drinking

I don't agree with you at all. I'll wait until there's an investigation before I rule out foul play on these missing and drowned male college students.

To say it has no connection to any kid who drowns after a night of drinking is a little premature, IMO. BOTH of these victims had been out drinking and were alone when they were abducted.

JMHO
fran

You have 40 men who died from drowing who showed no trauma and you think they might relate to a guy who's arrested for knocking a kid unconscious with a BLOW to the head; chaining him up and BEATING him as the cops have said and then committing sexual ASSAULT??? A man chains and beats 2 men and commits sexual assault and you think it could connect to 40 others who drowned with ZERO trauma??? He might have killed others who never were found, but this clearly does not connect to any of the 40 cases Gannon and KTSP promoted. You're right; there are some posts that should be ignored

I don't believe for a minute that all the 40 men who died from drowning showed no trauma. One guy was hit, IIRC, more than once by the propeller of a large boat. IMO, all other markings on the bodies were attributed to happening after the man died while floating in water. There was no DNA evidence, as water would have washed away all evidence.

LE is waaayyyy to quick to attribute these young men's death to them being drunk and stupid. Even the LE agencies investigating this most recent case in Wisconsin, are blown away that this happened to these young men.

I won't believe a similar type thing didn't happen to these young men until a thorough investigation is completed.

JMHO
fran

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=771771

Reichert said he was unable to speculate about what might have prompted Lanphear to abduct the two young men, both in weakened states due to their respective levels of inebriation, and then chain them to ladders and previously installed loops on the floor and ceiling before beating and sexually assaulting them, as the victims’ statements said he did.

“(These victims) were subjected to some things that would boggle your mind,” Reichert said, adding that Lanphear is accused of threatening to kill the young men if they didn’t comply.

Still, according to investigators, he gave decent amounts of food and water to the victim in the basement, and when asked by his second victim in the garage for some cigarettes, Lanphear left the house Tuesday to get them.

I think-if for no other reason than this case illustrates how 2 men can simply disappear- it does have some bearing on the other cases. Especially the young man who left the fireworks display. We have discussed in the past the LE ruse when contemplating how these drowning victims were lured away. What really ticks me off, is the pat "no evidence of foul play" the moment these "drunk" guys disappear. I'm sure from now on LE won't be so quick to say stupid like that 'cause they couldn't have been more WRONG this time. JMO

I believe one of the reasons that LE doesn't want to accept that these men aren't accidentally drowning is because they are males. The majority of LE are men. If they admit these men aren't accidentally drowning, they would have to admit that men are as vulnerable as women. IMO

I believe one of the reasons that LE doesn't want to accept that these men aren't accidentally drowning is because they are males. The majority of LE are men. If they admit these men aren't accidentally drowning, they would have to admit that men are as vulnerable as women. IMO

I absolutely agree MCDRAW!

I saw it said, I think I'm right on this, that there are approximately 90K cases of sexual assault on males per year, yet most go unreported. It's not just that males don't want to think that they're as vulnerable as females for this type of crime, it's a macho thing, IMO.

They need to realize, that just like with women victims of sexual assaulty, IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT!

The sad thing is, these male victims, now know first hand the devastation females victims have had for 1000's of years.

JMHO
fran

I believe the "Jenkins case" was initally ruled an accidential drowning ... until the parents persisted in further investigation to have the case re-opened and cause of death changed. The only one ( out of the 40 or so cases) so far to succeed in doing so.

Peace.

Respectfully, Peace, the Scott Javins case is also an open homicide investigation. There is pending litigation in that case and it is my understanding that is the only reason there is no public statement about linking his case- Can you imagine the implications? The detectives would be spending all their time in a court room instead of trying to investigate.

I absolutely agree MCDRAW!

I saw it said, I think I'm right on this, that there are approximately 90K cases of sexual assault on males per year, yet most go unreported. It's not just that males don't want to think that they're as vulnerable as females for this type of crime, it's a macho thing, IMO.

They need to realize, that just like with women victims of sexual assaulty, IS IT NOT THEIR FAULT!

The sad thing is, these male victims, now know first hand the devastation females victims have had for 1000's of years.

JMHO
fran

True, very sad, and needs to change. A victim is exactly that, regardless of gender.

I would like to bring attention to the last paragraph of this linked article. Please note, the suspect supplied alcohol to his captive.
IMHO, IF this is the sort of thing that has happened to some of the students on this forum, this would account for the high blood alcohol content of some of the victims. Some of the victim's friends said they hadn't had that much to drink, yet IF they were recovered, they may have had a very high blood alcohol level.

See, their friends MAY NOT have been lying to cover for their friend! The perp COULD have held them for a # of days, plied them with alcohol and eventually the victim died. Thus their body found days, weeks, months later.

It's also important to note, that several of these cases, LE couldn't explain how the student ended up in the water, couldn't understand how they drowned, sometimes just said it was 'suspicious,' and then ruled an 'accident.'

Also, FWIW, can't remember the specific case, but one student was found with such a high blood alcohol level, LE was unable to explain how he had even been able to find his way to the water across eight lanes of highway without being detected or passing out!

IMHO, this most recent case in Wisconsin, is {proof} that SOME of these cases could be related AND MURDER! Any LE agency that's involved in any of these cases, if they don't see the possibility, then they need to look for a new line of work, IMHO.:eek:

JMHO
fran

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/24489729.html

<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>

The second alleged victim says he had been at Johnny's Bar in Wisconsin Rapids and decided to sleep in his truck in the parking lot because he was intoxicated. The complaint says he woke up to a man, later identified as Lanphear, attempting to restrain him and eventually blindfolding him.

After arriving at Lanphear's home, he was chained to a ladder, beaten, stripped of his clothes and drank orange juice and vodka. The complaint says he was taken to the living room and raped, then again chained to the ladder in the garage.

I don't believe for a minute that all the 40 men who died from drowning showed no trauma. One guy was hit, IIRC, more than once by the propeller of a large boat. IMO, all other markings on the bodies were attributed to happening after the man died while floating in water. There was no DNA evidence, as water would have washed away all evidence.

LE is waaayyyy to quick to attribute these young men's death to them being drunk and stupid. Even the LE agencies investigating this most recent case in Wisconsin, are blown away that this happened to these young men.

I won't believe a similar type thing didn't happen to these young men until a thorough investigation is completed.

JMHO
fran

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=771771

Reichert said he was unable to speculate about what might have prompted Lanphear to abduct the two young men, both in weakened states due to their respective levels of inebriation, and then chain them to ladders and previously installed loops on the floor and ceiling before beating and sexually assaulting them, as the victims’ statements said he did.

“(These victims) were subjected to some things that would boggle your mind,” Reichert said, adding that Lanphear is accused of threatening to kill the young men if they didn’t comply.

Still, according to investigators, he gave decent amounts of food and water to the victim in the basement, and when asked by his second victim in the garage for some cigarettes, Lanphear left the house Tuesday to get them.

I think the most mportant part of this post is the PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED LOOPS TO HOLD THE LADDERS??
Predator, and a skilled one- why aren't reporters banging down his haunts before even LE?? It's like since AP everyone just sits around at the water cooler?

I think I'm going to go over to Greta's blog and see if I can spark her interest in the case. She did a blip on this 'missing' guy on Tuesday night, but they had already found him (that was a breaking news part of her report). But it hadn't yet been reported that he'd been assaulted.

Seriously, my FIRST thought was that he had been assaulted. They said he had been taken to a hosiptal.

Anyway, Greta is from Wisconsin and this should be of great interest to her. That and IF she caught on early, before any of the other MSMs, this could be a HUGE story for her IF they can now begin linking some of these various other cases.

Greta needs to get Mark Fuhrman on this STAT!

JMHO
fran

:(

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=62950&rnews_story_type=18

Gorge Death Ruled Accidentalby Cristina Domingues
Photo courtesy of family.
Published Jul 11, 2008

The Monore County Medical Examiner's office says the death of a man pulled from the Genesee River gorge Tuesday was accidental.

David Jackson's family says the 23-year-old was out Saturday night at the Water Street Music Hall, when he allegedly got into an altercation with security personnel there.

......................more at link..............

PS.............I doubt if this is related. But what this case does show, is there needs to be some behavior prior to the 'drowning' that makes sense. This young man may have dived in the water to get the mace off of him. I'm not familiar with the currents in this river, so it does make an 'accident' a strong possibility here. But.......like I said, there was 'behavior' prior to the incident that led up to this....imho, fran

I don't agree with you at all. I'll wait until there's an investigation before I rule out foul play on these missing and drowned male college students.

To say it has no connection to any kid who drowns after a night of drinking is a little premature, IMO. BOTH of these victims had been out drinking and were alone when they were abducted.

JMHO
fran

The only similarity is that these kids were out drinking. The cops have said, "chained, beaten and sexually assaulted"; so clearly this is an abduction with physical and sexual trauma; which is not the case with any of the river drownings. I respect your view to wait; just to clarify that the cops story doesn't change or the kid who claims to have fallen asleep doesn't change either, but pathologist always look for physical and sexual assault when a body is recovered and none of the 40 river drownings had any sign of any kind of trauma; even Chris Jenkins had none except for hair pulled out which he did himself. Also remember that there's no evidence that the 40 river drownings were abductions and murders; as Gannon claims. There's simply not 1 shred of evidence of any kid being abducted; not a single witness in 11 years.

The only similarity is that these kids were out drinking. The cops have said, "chained, beaten and sexually assaulted"; so clearly this is an abduction with physical and sexual trauma; which is not the case with any of the river drownings. I respect your view to wait; just to clarify that the cops story doesn't change or the kid who claims to have fallen asleep doesn't change either, but pathologist always look for physical and sexual assault when a body is recovered and none of the 40 river drownings had any sign of any kind of trauma; even Chris Jenkins had none except for hair pulled out which he did himself. Also remember that there's no evidence that the 40 river drownings were abductions and murders; as Gannon claims. There's simply not 1 shred of evidence of any kid being abducted; not a single witness in 11 years.

FWIW, from what I understand, Gannon has NOT revealed all the evidence he has uncovered.

So, again the jury is still out on this one.

Just the fact of what was uncovered in Wisconsin this past week, should make all of the involved LE agencies to take at least a second look at their now closed cases.

Wouldn't it be a shame to find out in another 10 years, that Gannon was right all along? That 100's of lives might have been saved if LE had just stopped, looked, reviewed for even one day?

That's all I'm sayin'. Just take a look over the file, make a few contacts, look at a few photos,.................be SURE!

FWIW, there were several of these cases where LE said they didn't see how it could have happened, but it did.

Also, a general question, why doesn't this happen in Seattle, Berkely, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Barbara, San Diego? Hypothermia excuse doesn't count, because one is suseptible to that in these other environments.

Just wonderin':waitasec:
fran

The reason these are ruled as accidents is that; with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 cases; there's not 1 shred of evidence to suggest anything but an accident. The problem isn't LE or the pathologists; it's alcohol abuse and immaturity. And if you want to bring gender into it; the interesting sidebar to gender is that for whatever reason; women seem to have a smarter instinct and a more natural instinct for sensing the potential danger of walking alone at night and for walking near bodies of water in the winter.

Why doesn't it happen right here where I live?! There is a river just a few blocks from our bar district loaded with hundreds of college aged males on any given night. The banks of the Arkansas do not have any kind of barriers to prevent people from going into the water. Yet...we have not had a single drowning death except for the one where a guy decided to ride a raft after a flooding rain on a lesser creek which feeds directly into the river. He was swept away and drowned due to his own stupidity while people stood around to watch him do it.

BTW, Fran...people can argue with a fencepost only so long before it makes you go crazy. LOL hint...hint.

:(

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=62950&rnews_story_type=18

Gorge Death Ruled Accidentalby Cristina Domingues
Photo courtesy of family.
Published Jul 11, 2008

The Monore County Medical Examiner's office says the death of a man pulled from the Genesee River gorge Tuesday was accidental.

David Jackson's family says the 23-year-old was out Saturday night at the Water Street Music Hall, when he allegedly got into an altercation with security personnel there.

......................more at link..............

PS.............I doubt if this is related. But what this case does show, is there needs to be some behavior prior to the 'drowning' that makes sense. This young man may have dived in the water to get the mace off of him. I'm not familiar with the currents in this river, so it does make an 'accident' a strong possibility here. But.......like I said, there was 'behavior' prior to the incident that led up to this....imho, fran
There it is again...another "scuffle" with the security guards as we have seen in a few of these cases already. I wouldn't be so quick to think this is unrelated.

I think the most mportant part of this post is the PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED LOOPS TO HOLD THE LADDERS??
Predator, and a skilled one- why aren't reporters banging down his haunts before even LE?? It's like since AP everyone just sits around at the water cooler?
It is a very important part. Also...that he gave them vodka and orange juice after the abduction is another important clue. I still say this case could well be related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ula