Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WTH happened here!!!!

When I saw it happened in Calif. I had my doubts because reading about these cases , it seemed like they were more centralized to other states. But I did notice that a guy that was missing right before this that was in a costume, left a party and found dead in water was missing in CALIFORNIA, KY . I have read that the killers have left clues for the next murders at the scene of previous crimes. I just thought that was a wierd coincidence.

I have been reading in the missing person section about the Mt man that went missing in Dec. He left the Eagle bar at 2am , and has completely disappeared. They are still searching for him. Sounds so much like the other stories here!

There's a video of Darrell Dullum leaving the bar, etc. : [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4673409#post4673409"]MT - Darrell Dullum - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Maybe somebody who's followed the River cases more closely could have a look and see if anybody resembles the people seen in some of the other videos...

Ames, Iowa-
Iowa State University student Jon Lacina missing for nine days. WAs last seen walking home three blocks from bar. He is a good student and no clues what happened to him.

www.kcci.com

There was nothing in the article that made me think he was targeted but his picture does remind me a lot of William Hurley.

Johnathan Lacina is described as being 5' 11" tall, 155 lbs.,brown hair, green eyes.

William Hurley is described as being 5' 8" tall, 150 lbs.,blonde hair, blue eyes.

I hope he is found to be alright.... but they are searching the waterway. :(

Having lived in Ames for 30 years I'm very familiar with where this happened. The house he left is only 2 blocks from Lake Laverne where Abel Bolanos was found. There is a busy street between the two locations and it was early enough in the evening that there would have been a lot of foot traffic. I do know that they had divers in the lake yesterday and today. There is also a system of steam tunnels and under the street streams that run into Lake Laverne. The police in this town are aware of the "smiley face" clues so I think they know what they are doing. If someone drowns in this lake, they had help.

cmofames- Thank you for explaining the area. I am not familiar with the location (though I've been to ISU). I also didn't remember that that is where Abel Bolanos was found (Lake Lavern).

Do you remember the other young man who was found under a pool cover? I can't remember if it was ISU or Grinnell. But it was odd IMO that they ruled it suicide even though it was reported his hands were bound with duct tape. Do you recall that case?

laini,
I remember that case. His name was Paul Schuman-Moore and he was a student at Grinnell.

Yes he was from Grinnel. What I found interesting is that today KCCI is reporting that :

Iowa State is working with Ames police and the state Department of Criminal Investigation on a possible connection with two other missing person cases in the Midwest. Both cases involve young men around the same age as Lacina and who went missing around the same time, one is from Minnesota and the other from Wisconsin.

I found a story about Sylvester McCurry- Duluth MN but I cannot find anything about the Wisconsin missing person.

Other Missing Persons Connections?

Iowa State is working with Ames police and the state Division of Criminal Investigation on a possible connection with two other missing person cases in the Midwest. Both cases involve young men around the same age as Lacina and who went missing around the same time, one is from Minnesota and the other from Wisconsin.

Sylvester McCurry, 18, was reported missing from Duluth, Min., on Jan. 17. Eric Michael Peterson, 24, was last seen in Lakeville, Min., on Jan. 19.

Investigators said it is too early to say whether there may be any connection between the cases, but investigators are looking into them and not ruling out any possibilities.
http://www.kcci.com/news/22411734/detail.html

I followed the smiley face killers even before I came to websleuths but have not contributed much here... the first thing I thought of when reading about a possible connection being investigated was the smiley face/river murders.

Chris is related to one of my friends and this was a definite suicide. He left a note....
http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1127668.shtml

Body Found in St. Croix River is Missing Man

STILLWATER, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say the body of a 21-year-old man who's been missing since last week was pulled from the St. Croix River near Stillwater.
The Washington County sheriff's office says Christopher Long's body was found Saturday about 500 yards south of the Arcola High Bridge on the Minnesota side of the river.
Long's wallet and keys were found on the railway bridge last week, and several agencies searched the river and shoreline after receiving a report that someone was thinking of jumping off the bridge.

Kristi Piehl will be on C2C Sunday night to discuss the Smiley Face Murders.

Journalist Kristi Piehl will discuss the latest evidence in the string of nationwide drowning deaths that may have been caused by the "Smiley Face Killers." She'll be joined by forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Sikirica, who'll explain the difficulties associated with the investigation. Hosted by Ian Punnett.

This has interested me since the beginning but the more time that goes by the more doubts I have. If a lot of people are involved in this I think somebody would have tried to cut a deal by now. JMO

I'm leaning toward a series of coincidences at this time. IIRC, the FBI doesn't think there's enough to pursue the case.

I'll reserve more judgment til after I listen to the C2C show on Sunday night.

Here's a link to the Smiley Face Killer website.

I haven't worked on this case for quite a long time. I see the victims are still appearing. :(

Steely Dan, were you able to watch the show? What did you think?

TIA,
fran

I haven't worked on this case for quite a long time. I see the victims are still appearing. :(

Steely Dan, were you able to watch the show? What did you think?

TIA,
fran

It's a radio show that comes on in 10 minutes. After listening I'll let ya know. :thumb:

Smiley Face Killer Notes - Kristi Piehl C2C 12/15/10

Todd Geib was found in water by a guy who had been out in the area several times since his abduction and never saw him until 21 days after Todd went missing.

An independent medical examiner (Michael Sikirica) believes that the original coroner's report was wrong in relation to the time the body had been in the water. He believes the body had been there no more than approx. five days. The question now becomes where was he for the other 16 days?

Sikirica took his theories to a meeting of 200 scientists and showed the evidence and they all agreed with his interpretation.

The bodies BAC was .12 not very high. (My question is that if his BAC was .12 and he was supposed to have been somewhere for 16 days other than the water then how did he get re-intoxicated?)

It's believed 80 similar cases are connected to each other. A big problem is police are sceptical about this because they figure a drunk kid fell into the water and drowned.

Kristi thinks that the name "Smiley Face Killers" isn't helping to get LE to look into these deaths further.

Kristi doesn't fully believe that it could be a group, but if some of these cases are related there would have to be others due to distances.

Another guy went missing last night in LaCrosse.

These crimes seem to be localized to a certain area over a few states. If this were a common way college students died then there should be a lot of cases like this at spring break in Florida or in California colleges etc... etc...

Just found this news article on the latest missing college guy!
Student still missing; dog tracks scent to river

Authorities searching for Craig Meyers will return today to the Mississippi River, after a dog tracked his scent to the ice and video footage showed what appears to be the missing college student walking alone through downtown La Crosse.

I don't think these are just coincidences........

Craig Meyers was dropped off near his girlfriends place. You don't just decide to go jump in the river & kill yourself. This is like the 9th student went missing from this college!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back