Defense at crime scene jan. 30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
that is what I am going to do. buckle up and stop posting for a minute.

They completed their investigation on Sat, Dec 20:

Saturday, Dec. 20

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008/12/12/minutetominute_update_in_remains_discovery_12_11.html

5:00 p.m.
News 13 has learned George and Cindy Anthony have decided to take all the toys left in memory of Caylee Anthony and donate them to underprivileged children for the holidays.

3:10 p.m.
Orange County Sheriff's office obtain a search warrant for the Anthony home. Four crime scene investigation vans were at the house. Investigators have not said what they are looking for. They did say evidence found at the crime scene has led them back to the family home. George and Cindy Anthony were home and were allowed to remain present.

3:00 p.m.
Orange County Sheriff's office officially released the crime scene location where the remains of Caylee Anthony were found.

11:30 a.m.
Investigators tried to release the crime scene to Jose Baez and the rest of Casey Anthony's defense team, but they declined. The scene can now be accessed to the general public.

I'm puzzled by it being accessed to the general public, is this normal? If it is private property I thought the search warrant was for LE only. How does this make sense? For the purposes of a memorial only?

Yes...weeks after the fact he would need those things. He and his dream team were on Geraldo kvetching because they could not get in there WHILE OCSO was doing their investigation (which the defense was not entitled to do). Immediately afterward when the scene was released...he did not need those things to go photograph the area and take samples etc. He, once again, did not want to do the work, imo.
IIRC, you're right. That's not what he crying about back then-he was also crying about being given notice to assemble his "team" to get back there. I don't remember him crying about photos. By law, LE is given a certain amount of time to get them to him. He can come up with as many excuses for not going in immediately, but the truth is he was not legally able to do so.

hold it. is the identical conversation going on in 2 threads or am I losing my mind?
Hey, JB...to answer your question from the other thread, I was referring to the time when the scene was released by LE.

Maybe, just maybe someone had a gun to KC's head and made her put the duct tape and sticker on and then forced her into Caylees room and got her blanket etc etc and that is why it made it look like KC is "looking guilty"? The real killer made her do all this stuff to her daughter so therefor wouldnt that mean that KC was the real victim here?...lol
That was hard to write but I finally got it all out.. hehe

No. Baez asked OCSO for crime scene photos and other documents. They refused to give them. The scene itself is useless to Baez and his forensic team without that documentation. They wouldn't even know where the skull was found. In the court hearings prior to yesterday, Baez begged for this stuff. Yesterday he referred to it as a "mountain" of discovery documents. He can't do anything meaningful at the crime scene until he knows very specific details about it.

Begged? You mean when he was pulling that PR stunt of requesting for stuff that hasn't been compiled yet, etc. That makes it sound like he wouldn't have gotten it in due course, if he hadn't 'begged'. Which isn't factual. Turning over evidence like that is pretty standard stuff.

I watched that. It was discussed in detail. It was clearly spelled out that JB could not, would not, be on the scene until the LE investigation was done with the scene. And the LE would turn it directly over to him. He agreed to that and and made no mentioned that he had to have ALL the documentation about the scene before hand.

He also knows that such documentation would not be available to him that quickly. THAT was what he was given up, to be able to access the site before it was turned over to the general public. He made sure they agreed that the cops would not call him as they were driving away. Leaving the area ungaurded. That was a major concern for him. They promised they would give him time to show up and take over before leaving.

So for him to act like THAT is the reason for turning down getting to go on the crime scene, pretty much says he was wasting the courts time in the first place.

It's pretty standard stuff that the defense would get such documentation and they would go to the crime scene. JB is just making a circus show out of the whole thing.

Didn't I see something about the stains all over the clothes from her closet or something?! Ewwwww! :eek:

ETA: Where are the cameras on the site today?! I figured it would be fair to have all the media there covering their investigation just like OCSO had to deal with when they were there!! Someone call Foxorlando and get a cam set up! LOL

(I would bet that Geraldo's camera crew is onscene getting everything!!)

I'm puzzled by it being accessed to the general public, is this normal? If it is private property I thought the search warrant was for LE only. How does this make sense? For the purposes of a memorial only?

Just means the LE are no longer holding it as a crime scene. Before that, even the owner couldn't acess it. Now, he/she and anyone he/she allows (general public) is allowed. Ownership laws would still apply.

BS! They could have gone into the scene and done an investigation on their own without those things just like OCSO did! The problem is JB's team never wants to do the work!
There's no reason to go in now IMO. It made a heck a lot more sense to do it then.He doesn't even have a botanist listed as a witness (yet).
One of the talking heads last night speculated he'll come in saying something along the lines that the body wasn't there as long as they're saying. Ok...

Begged? You mean when he was pulling that PR stunt of requesting for stuff that hasn't been compiled yet, etc. That makes it sound like he wouldn't have gotten it in due course, if he hadn't 'begged'. Which isn't factual. Turning over evidence like that is pretty standard stuff.

I watched that. It was discussed in detail. It was clearly spelled out that JB could not, would not, be on the scene until the LE investigation was done with the scene. And the LE would turn it directly over to him. He agreed to that and and made no mentioned that he had to have ALL the documentation about the scene before hand.

He also knows that such documentation would not be available to him that quickly. THAT was what he was given up, to be able to access the site before it was turned over to the general public. He made sure they agreed that the cops would not call him as they were driving away. Leaving the area ungaurded. That was a major concern for him. They promised they would give him time to show up and take over before leaving.

So for him to act like THAT is the reason for turning down getting to go on the crime scene, pretty much says he was wasting the courts time in the first place.

It's pretty standard stuff that the defense would get such documentation and they would go to the crime scene. JB is just making a circus show out of the whole thing.
Poor Jose.

(Great post btw)

There's no reason to go in now IMO. It made a heck a lot more sense to do it then.He doesn't even have a botanist listed as a witness (yet).
One of the talking heads last night speculated he'll come in saying something along the lines that the body wasn't there as long as they're saying. Ok...

I thought he had one - some guy (not K Reich) out of Canada.

I get the impression that Baez is saying that the owners would not give him permission to go on their property. But he didn't seem to know exactly who they were, and I wonder if he did not simply ask politely.

If they did not want him there, then I can not see how JB could go there straight away? Surely the court would have to send the owners some sort of notice that they were required to let JB on their property. I imagine that notice would have to be in triplicate. signed, sent out, returned, appealed, reissued and lost a few times, before JB actually got on the land?

Just means the LE are no longer holding it as a crime scene. Before that, even the owner couldn't acess it. Now, he/she and anyone he/she allows (general public) is allowed. Ownership laws would still apply.

Thanks, Spangle. :)

Well the site was relatively denuded after the processing was done. Can he afford to do all of the testing on the plant material it would take to reach that conclusion. Will he have access to the plant material?

I get the impression that Baez is saying that the owners would not give him permission to go on their property. But he didn't seem to know exactly who they were, and I wonder if he did not simply ask politely.

If they did not want him there, then I can not see how JB could go there straight away? Surely the court would have to send the owners some sort of notice that they were required to let JB on their property. I imagine that notice would have to be in triplicate. signed, sent out, returned, appealed, reissued and lost a few times, before JB actually got on the land?

:) giggle

What are you talking about? OCSO investigated the crime scene with all the evidence sitting right there on and in the ground. That stuff was removed before Baez would be given any chance to enter the woods. How would Baez's forensic experts even begin to know where the skull and bags were laying? Were they supposed to take wild guesses? :confused:

I think the denuded area made it pretty obvious. And they did get a general view of the scene while LE was working. They knew where the tent was. (I don't know if the flags were left there. Were they?)They could have taken photos and combed through everything if they really wanted to. I believe they also took photos that day of grandstanding, from a distance. By law, they are not entitled to anything while LE is investigating the crime scene.

Photos were released, some of them, to Baez and the general public, of the area days later. As I understand it, there are procedures for discovery. What you are suggesting is that Baez should have gotten whatever he demands without going through procedure. Yeah, it makes him look the victim, whining away that he's not getting stuff, which is, IMO, his intent. It's a great way to twist perception that somehow he's entitled. He's not. He's getting stuff in a timely manner but he wants everyone to believe that he isn't. Evidently, you are buying into that lie.

Logically speaking, if I were in Baez's shoes I would have gone in there right after and done the job. Combed through the place. It's logical to anyone with half a brain if he wanted it right away. He knew that later he would have to get permission, so why didn't he give it the once-over? With Baez it's all or nothing. Either he gets his way or he sets out to prove that he can't do his job because LE is tying his hands. All his stunts are to manipulate public perception.

Why didn't Baez go in afterwards when it was easy and do a little investigating of his own if it was so important to him and the area was still pristine? Even a cursory once-over would have been more convincing than this crap he's pulling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back