Defense Team's Horrible Display Celebrating

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"A Florida attorney has filed a Bar complaint against Cheney Mason, who he said has brought the profession into disrepute. In the complaint, lawyer John Thompson said that Mr Mason violated Bar rules for 'Maintaining the integrity of the profession'."

Full article: Cheney Mason faces disciplinary action

Bogus complaint. It was on his OWN time. Plus, he said in an interview that it was directed at one person, someone who'd been heckling him all through the trial, not at the public in general. He says he's embarrassed, but hey, haven't we all done stuff in the heat of emotion we're embarrassed about?

(I hate that fake hair color he's sporting now tho. Wasn't he totally gray at the beginning of trial?)

Bogus complaint. It was on his OWN time. Plus, he said in an interview that it was directed at one person, someone who'd been heckling him all through the trial, not at the public in general. He says he's embarrassed, but hey, haven't we all done stuff in the heat of emotion we're embarrassed about?

(I hate that fake hair color he's sporting now tho. Wasn't he totally gray at the beginning of trial?)

Not bogus at all imo. They're supposed to comport themselves professionally at all times. He has been abusive throughout this trial.

His own time he hawing it up through a window they knew everybody could see through. They knew what the public was feeling.
The whole party was a f u to the public.
Not just CM's finger.

He should not have done that. Shows the type of person he is IMO.

"A Florida attorney has filed a Bar complaint against Cheney Mason, who he said has brought the profession into disrepute. In the complaint, lawyer John Thompson said that Mr Mason violated Bar rules for 'Maintaining the integrity of the profession'."

Full article: Cheney Mason faces disciplinary action

Did this come down? Hmmm, Mason must have the magic litigious touch. :loser:

If CM's lips are flapping, he's lying ... I wanted to stick my two cents in about Mason giving the one arm salute IN COURT to Ashton ... IN COURT ....
(for those unfamiliar with it, if you watched Sopranos, you saw it a lot) ... same gesture as the recent one, only without sticking the middle finger up ... same exact meaning ... I'm hoping by now the FBA has heard and seen plenty of disgraceful courtroom behavior from both of them in court, in session ...

In light of the ruling, they should have been more discreet about their celebration and words and not had their usual "in you face" attitude ...
CM came into this to fight the courts and the laws and has won ...you would think he'd be happy ... but NO

No one on the defense team seems to care about public outrage or inciting more protests, etc. ... they should be keeping a low profile and letting things die down, but nope, instead they're making matters worse

IMO, the big celebration was about the win ... not that they are so fond of KC or believe she's innocent and has been vindicative ...
That's not what I saw ... I saw arrogance and them putting one over on the system ... fighting a losing battle and winning ...
This celebration was about egos, winning and anticipation of celebrity futures they all so want ... PERIOD

AND IT'S DISGUSTING AND CLASSLESS ...

I'm going to make an unpopular statement here. I am heartbroken and outraged about the outcome of this case, and I want CA brought up on perjury charges, but the only thing truly wrong with the celebrating was that so-and-so Mason flipping the bird from inside the restaurant at cameras. I'm so not surprised at his behavior. I'll leave it at that because I prefer to retain my posting privileges.

These defense people, however despicable they are (and I believe they are) were celebrating "saving a life." That was and is more important to them than getting justice for a murdered little girl. But they are entitled to let off steam after the hard work, the exhaustion, the tension, etc. However, I'm still absolutely outraged and totally disgusted, and I especially have no respect at all for JB or CM. It's hard for me to say who I respect less.

Mods: now that the case is over, are we still required to refer to these people by their initials?

I don't mind that they were celebrating, they worked hard. But, given the high profile status of this child murder case, they should have slunk away to jump up and down in private, away from the area. Just tacky, and the bird, well, the epitome of tackiness.

One other thing ... it's these small things that bring me joy

If you google Cheney Mason, "Cheney Mason Vulgar Gesture" comes up first in the list .... :great:

That was also my first thought when I saw that. :sick:

5908904627_486754dbbf_o.jpg

What a nice southern gentleman. :loser:

This was a shameful display. I don't dispute their right to celebrate at all. But they didn't have to do it across the street from the courthouse in front of a massive window where they KNEW they would be seen.

I keep hoping that these people will show one ounce of class or respect but luckily I haven't been holding my breath.

May not be popular for this, but I can understand, as one who has been in the legal profession, the celebration. However, doing it in public is in horribly poor taste!
Especially Sims, jumping up and down as if she were at a sporting event. That was sickening. :sick:

Well, I'm going make another unpopular statement. That's the restaurant they frequent every single day. It's next door to CM's office. They wanted to be where they are comfortable and know people. Many high profile attorneys have an office right next to a nice restaurant and/or near the courthouse. I really don't hold it against them.

OT: What I hold against them is the issue of advocacy. I could never be a criminal defense lawyer. They stand to make huge sums off of this case, and to do so many attorneys have to resort to lies, innuendo, snark and sleaze. Jeff Ashton was so gracious yesterday, taking the high road. He's a class act. Even with the smiling. Baez is a buffoon in the legal community. Let's see if he gets any better as an attorney. I don't think he'll practice much law. He'll end up like Anna Nicole Smith's attorney - Casey will likely be his only client.

I don't mind that they were celebrating, they worked hard. But, given the high profile status of this child murder case, they should have slunk away to jump up and down in private, away from the area. Just tacky, and the bird, well, the epitome of tackiness.

Actually, "tacky" was the first word that came to mind when I saw the picture & video. Oy.

Sour grapes. If I were on a defense team that had just gotten a not guilty verdict in a death penalty case, I might have turned somersaults in the courtroom. What I saw here were hugs and tears.

I found it very disrespectful.

JMO

Celebrating a win in a case is normal I'd imagine. But doing it in a place where they could be seen when the case was such a high profile one about a child'd death... weeeell, that wasn't exactly TACTFUL. Probably best behind closed doors away from prying eyes.... the flipping the bird moment was the nasty cherry on a rather unappealing cake.

EXACTLY!! We don't know what that middle finger salute is in response to, do we? Some of the crazy mob or the media could have been yelling insults at them or even threatening them.. who wouldn't respond?

<snipped for clarity>

These people are well to do and powerful enough to hire or designate someone to deal with the crowds. CM didn't have to make that gesture. He's got very little class or impulse control except in front of a judge, but apparently not even a courtroom in open proceedings.

"Mason&#8217;s showing of his middle finger Tuesday shortly after the verdict was read appears to show one of the few ways he wishes to communicate to the media -- and that got the attention of Jack Thompson. The permanently disbarred lawyer has mailed a Florida Bar complaint alleging Mason violated Bar rules about maintaining the integrity of the profession. He wants disciplinary action against Mason."

"Thompson said via phone, "When I see a lawyer acting the way he did, I have to speak up. It's not the way our profession should be represented."

Here's the article: Gesture To Media Puts Mason Under Fire

EXACTLY!! We don't know what that middle finger salute is in response to, do we? Some of the crazy mob or the media could have been yelling insults at them or even threatening them.. who wouldn't respond?
I don't begrudge them their celebration, and I think they should have taken it to a more private place, BUT it wouldn't matter where they went, the media would have followed them and played it up to up their ratings. I'm disgusted with HLN after all this.
Aside from that, I don't think they are acting any worse than the idiotic protestors who are carrying offensive signs and screaming Baby Killer and saying the JURY is guilty of murder. Most of them are just clamoring to get on camera. Makes me sick.

This seems to be typical behavior for CM. Bill S. reported that CM made an obscene gesture toward JA in open court during one of the hearings. BS reported it on WFTV. I don't think he would have reported it if there was any question. The difference this time is CM was caught on camera.

His own time he hawing it up through a window they knew everybody could see through. They knew what the public was feeling.
Not just CM's finger.

Okay guys, let's not get too excited. I think I figured it out. We see DS jumping up and down for joy, up and down, overwhelming joy I would say. My guess is she just found out she is not the one who has to bring KC home with her. Now CM and the "magical finger", I'm guessing he drew the short straw.

It's as clear as day and that window we were looking through. Good luck guys.

P.S. - I think KC is going home. For this team to say one of them is taking it for the team and bringing KC into their home, well, I just don't believe it. Won't be the first time this defense team has lied to us. jmo

Not just CM's finger.

And since no one on God's green earth, including them probably, thought they would win, and since everyone, including me, called Baez incompetent and basically gave him and his whole team the finger, don't you think they were justified in their feelings? This inexperienced guy who's only been practicing law for three years, went from, as he put it, 'Jose who?" to "Oh, THAT Jose Baez!"

And no matter how invested in following this trial people were, Caylee was not your kid. I don't get how people were crying outside the courthouse and acting like this acquittal was personal to them. They got involved in a murder case of a little girl and completely lost their minds.

I've been following this case for three years, but in no way am I wandering around muttering "Justice for Caylee." I am a mother and grandmother. I live in a city that had over 55 murders last weekend. I live in the city where the deceased Danieal Kelly had to be literally peeled off her bed. I live in the city where an elderly woman was found to have murdered EIGHT of her children when they were babies. I live in the city where Eddie Polec was beaten to death around the corner from my house on the steps of my church. I live in the city where the mayor burned down an entire neighborhood, killing several children. I guess I'm a bit jaded.

Those guys were there to do a job - free Casey, as abhorent as it was. They succeeded and had a right to celebrate. And no offense to you, really, but people saying things like the defense team should have taken in consideration the public's feelings and acting like Caylee was their own kid, and acting like the defense team should have considered Caylee their own kid, need to get a life. Sorry if this offended anyone. Truly. It's just how I feel and it doesn't mean I don't respect you.

I was also a legal secretary for 22 years and KNOW what goes into planning a trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back