Delay revealed-Motion to determine competency filed by defense

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it was a ploy by Cheney Mason to buy the defense some time, to possibly stall the trial, and / or to create havoc. I don't think he expected the Judge to appoint the doctors instantly and to be back in session on Monday. I think Mason thought it would buy them at least a week, taking them beyond the Fourth of July three day weekend and into the next week or beyond before the jury would likely get the case. JMO.

I suspect she found the idea rather insulting. It would be fascinating to read them. This morning the TH's were reporting the ICA was reading intently and mouthed 'Wow' several times while she did.
I'm just trying to figure out what prompted it seemingly out of the blue. She appears competent IMO. Even the passive aggressive episode caught on tape is justifiable. A reasonable person might be expected to be angry that their lead counsel was repeatedly acting in contempt of court. :twocents:

BBM I would imagine the doctors were commenting on her intelligence, her overall appearance, her level of cooperation, her ability to relate to them, her grasp of reality etc.

Much of it was flattering to ICA, I assume, and she honed in on that :floorlaugh:

I would also think that the negative stuff (at least that *she* was privy to in the reports she was given) was worded in such a way as to not upset her. JMO

Comes now the Defendant, Casey Marie Anthony, by and through her undersigned Counsel, and pursuant to Fla. R. Crim. P. 3.210(b) and Fla. Stat. 916.12 (2010), and asserts the following:

Based on privileged communications between Casey Marie Anthony and her Counsel, Counsel reasonably believes that Ms. Anthony is not competent to aid and assist in her own Defense and is incompetent to proceed. As a result of this well-founded concern, Counsel requests a full competency determination before the continuation of trial proceedings.

The undersigned Counsel does hereby certify that this motion is made in good faith and on reasonable grounds that Defendant is incompetent to proceed.

SIGNed BY CHANEY MASON

Maybe Mason was frightened by her display in court that day (Friday) and thought the jury might have seen it. This is when she was looking at Mason but pointing to Baez saying "You, get him" with that vicious look on her face.

We all seem to have been shocked by it and I daresay that we know what ICA is capable of better than Mason. Up until the trial he had been to see her TWICE in a whole year. Whereas we have poured over her interviews, all the depos and interviews of witnesses, all her phone records, photobuckets, Instant messages, jail visitations etc.

There is no way I would ever believe that ICA suddenly changed whilst in jail, as far as I'm concerned, she is still the pathological, lying, manipulator she always was and she MUST be doing it to her defense team. I'm pretty sure that Mason doesn't know which way is up with this girl - I think he would have been worried about the jury seeing her display and although we can't ever know this, there is probably something going on with her testifying or not testifying.

Mason must have also brought Ann into the mix or demanded that she come back as it's usual that Ann shouldn't be tainted with this phase of the trial, and that also speaks of trouble in the team.

eta: I should have made it clearer that I think Mason is aware that this jury has now been tainted by the actions of his client - he wants a new jury, and it goes back to her actions on Friday.

I think after LA refused to admit to the sexual abuse, KC had violent emortional reaction and became impossible to deal with - crying, yelling, screaming, anger, etc. JB just ignored it, but CM realized that she needed to be put in her place. So ... well, I'll request a competency hearing.

She sees that and immediately changes her behavior -- hence the smiles this morning.

She was decompensating and they stopped her.

Comes now the Defendant, Casey Marie Anthony, by and through her undersigned Counsel, and pursuant to Fla. R. Crim. P. 3.210(b) and Fla. Stat. 916.12 (2010), and asserts the following:

Based on privileged communications between Casey Marie Anthony and her Counsel, Counsel reasonably believes that Ms. Anthony is not competent to aid and assist in her own Defense and is incompetent to proceed. As a result of this well-founded concern, Counsel requests a full competency determination before the continuation of trial proceedings.

The undersigned Counsel does hereby certify that this motion is made in good faith and on reasonable grounds that Defendant is incompetent to proceed.

SIGNed BY CHANEY MASON

I'm not a lawyer but ... It seems telling that Cheney Mason filed it, not Baez. Could one of the WS lawyers give an opinion on this ?

I stick by my gut belief; Lee didn't come through & Mason is desperate to keep her off the stand against her wishes ( because he KNOWS, just like the rest of us, what really happened).

Hmmm.....after thinking this whole thing over for a few....I think that Casey wants to testify on her own behalf, and I think the DT did this as a CYA manuever. This really does protect the DT against any future liability as the result of her either not taking their direct advice on many issues, i.e. not accepting/proposing a plea; taking the stand in her own defense; knowingly accepting and being satisfied with the level of competence of her DT; putting forward that bizarre OS defense theory, etc. ....and probably a few more instances that may come into play here.

Oooh....i can't wait to sit back and watch more of this 3-ring circus act!:great:

SIGNed BY CHANEY MASON

I'm not a lawyer but ... It seems telling that Cheney Mason filed it, not Baez. After all, witnesses were at court & it seems Baez was ready to keep going. Could one of the WS lawyers give an opinion on this ?

I stick by my gut belief; Lee didn't come through & Mason is desperate to keep her off the stand against her wishes & Baez's also, ( because he KNOWS, just like the rest of us, what really happened).

Just read the motion. I have to say, I didn't glean much from it. The only things that stood out to me, besides the "appropriate courtroom behavior," were the phrases about "mental illness" and being able to receive "treatment for that mental illness in the community." Wasn't she already determined to not have a mental illness? And wouldn't you think that whatever mental illness one might have, there would be someone who could treat it in a city the size of Orlando?

I don't think KC was "in" on it. CM motioned to keep KC out of the meeting with PT. DS signaled for Melinda to take her out so she would not read the transcript from the court reporter. After she went in the holding room with Melinda, JB and CM talked to her. That was when she was throwing her hands up, like "whatever".

I think you are spot on here. Thanks for explaining it so succinctly :)

I just have one niggling doubt, all the lawyers went back there first thing in the morning to have a chat with her, Fryer was the only one left with her when the others came out, and Sims was in the hall. When she finally came out she was as mad as a cut snake. Do you think Mason ran it by her first, she refused, Fryer still tried to talk her into it, and Mason decided to do it anyway.

But why now?? Why didn't they do this a long time ago? That's what I don't understand. How can you suddenly decide, mid-trial, that you aren't competent?? I'm just amazed that it can happen this way. I realize it HAS to be done if requested because it's a huge appeal issue but still. Isn't it obvious that it's just a last-ditch attempt to get out of paying for her crime??

:dunno:

Theoretically, I guess, the stress could push a defendant over the line. Not sure how this stuff works according to the law, though.

I believe Casey did exhibit behavior that made Cheney question her competency. There's no denying that the girl has issues, but nothing that prevents her from being capable of assisting in her own defense. I'd love to see the doctor's reports.

Psychologists: Jailhouse letters offer insight into Casey Anthony’s life behind barsBy Sarah Lundy, Orlando Sentinel
2:01 a.m. EDT, April 11, 2010

The letters Casey Anthony penned in jail show an immature woman who needs attention and adoration from others.

Looking more & more like classic attachment disorder.

I've watched and re-watched videos from Saturday morning and IMHO I don't think JB knew that CM as going to raise a competency issue. JB was blithley arguing the Dr. Furton stuff and then all of a sudden CM asks for the sidebar on another matter. It really looked like to me that JB didn't know it was coming. Pure speculation on my part that ICA said or did something that really alarmed CM specifically and his motion for competency was sincere. Maybe she is insisting on testifying to a whole new story, maybe related to Lee's testimony, but I honestly don't think it was just a stall tactic.

ETA: I also think JB was against it and CM pulled rank as lead attorney and it maybe the reason JB was texting Beth Karas that he is DP qualified.

Maybe Mason was frightened by her display in court that day (Friday) and thought the jury might have seen it. This is when she was looking at Mason but pointing to Baez saying "You, get him" with that vicious look on her face.

We all seem to have been shocked by it and I daresay that we know what ICA is capable of better than Mason. Up until the trial he had been to see her TWICE in a whole year. Whereas we have poured over her interviews, all the depos and interviews of witnesses, all her phone records, photobuckets, Instant messages, jail visitations etc.

There is no way I would ever believe that ICA suddenly changed whilst in jail, as far as I'm concerned, she is still the pathological, lying, manipulator she always was and she MUST be doing it to her defense team. I'm pretty sure that Mason doesn't know which way is up with this girl - I think he would have been worried about the jury seeing her display and although we can't ever know this, there is probably something going on with her testifying or not testifying.

Mason must have also brought Ann into the mix or demanded that she come back as it's usual that Ann shouldn't be tainted with this phase of the trial, and that also speaks of trouble in the team.

eta: I should have made it clearer that I think Mason is aware that this jury has now been tainted by the actions of his client - he wants a new jury, and it goes back to her actions on Friday.

This is the best explanation I have heard or read. I think you may be onto something here. :twocents:

I wonder if the Psych eval was due to ICA bearing her teeth at CM the other day? Wonder what she said?

yup! I was gonna post the same thing! That 2 part video from the other day is exactly why they asked for a competency hearing, IMO. She's turning on her own "team", cuz they aren't letting her be CEO and she's Frushtrated. Their thinking she must be crazy to be acting like this when her life is on the line, when in reality she's used to be enabled and everyone at home let her be in charge cuz her family doesn't want her upset. She isn't crazy she's enabled!

Looks like a Hail Mary Pass by CM to me. Speculation: Casey changed her story AGAIN (explaining JB's comment about the theory of defense being what he said in opening "among other things"), and Casey wanted to testify to her new lie. CM knew that would never work in front of the same jury who heard JB's idiotic opening, so he was hoping to get her declared incompetent for a while. By the time she was "restored" to competency, they would need a new jury, and CM could either tie JB to a chair and stuff a sock in his mouth and do the opening himself (consistent with Casey's new story) and/or convince Casey not to testify.
CM forcing this motion makes sense with the visuals showing Baez with an exasperated look on his face as it transpired.

Plus, with his history, I see CM wanting to ensure best possible defense is provided.

HLN is taking calls to address the Q: Is Casey competent to continue to stand trial?

HUH? How would any caller have a clue about her competence? Oh well, I guess they're just filling air time...but they drive me nuts, especially that Jean woman.

I've watched and re-watched videos from Saturday morning and IMHO I don't think JB knew that CM as going to raise a competency issue. JB was blithley arguing the Dr. Furton stuff and then all of a sudden CM asks for the sidebar on another matter. It really looked like to me that JB didn't know it was coming. Pure speculation on my part that ICA said or did something that really alarmed CM specifically and his motion for competency was sincere. Maybe she is insisting on testifying to a whole new story, maybe related to Lee's testimony, but I honestly don't think it was just a stall tactic.

I completely agree, I think Cheney was sincere in his concern about Casey's competency. No normal person could spend 10 minutes with her and not see that she has problems.

I have seen in the middle of Trials a DT ask for Evals because the client kept asking for a “CANDY-BAR”

To everything they asked him, he would reply “CANDY-BAR” :floorlaugh:
He was found competent

Mesac Damas, who killed his family of 5.

When he stood in court here in my county over the last few court hearings he just keeps talking out loud and he was sent to Evals by many psychologists.

He was found competent

After the nine years of trying to avoid his trial by pulling the same stunts, and worse, baby killer Justin Grodin was found competent as well. We just don't mess around here in the 20th Judicial Circuit!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back