Deputies seek public’s help in HaLeigh case/update:woman contacts LE

I am leaning towards neither. I think we will find out who the tipster lady is soon enough ;)

"An FBI Informant with Special Psychic Abilities"? ooookaaaay? Is it just me or does this sound disturbingly like a bad network tv show propossal, probably involving some 1990's era teen tv actress?

~SNIP~
Investigators using cadaver-sensing dogs to check a tip describing the burial site for Putnam County’s missing Haleigh Cummings did not find her there.
~SNIP~
Schauland said a woman who dropped the tip off at offices of the St. Augustine Record Wednesday later told detectives she was passing it on from a retired FBI agent who is in his early 80s. He said she did not name the man.

“Hopefully she will get him to talk to us,” Schauland said. The woman’s name has not been released.
~SNIP~
http://jacksonville.com/community/m...search_in_haleigh_cummings_case_does_not_find

Maybe we were right when we speculated that the "messenger" lady worked at a nursing facility or for home health, and she delivered the letter for an elderly gentleman who really believes what he wrote.

Below the typewritten directions is a rectangular box representing the Satsuma trailer HaLeigh Cummings was living in on Feb. 9, the night she disappeared.
Broken lines lead off to the side of the drawn trailer. More broken lines lead upward, then stop at a circle.
“Check the back of father’s mobile home,” the letter read. “From the right end of the mobile home extending out continue for 540 yards straight. At that point go north 12 yards. Dig 2∏-3 feet, will strike metal covering an old well, check inside, black plastic garbage bag.
“Circumstances extend statewide and beyond.”
The typed initials at the bottom are “SAM.”
The woman who dropped off the letter went to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office on Friday when she learned that investigators wanted to talk to her.
She told detectives that she dropped the letter off for someone else, an elderly man who had been an FBI informant “with special abilities,” Schauland said Monday.
“SAM” was the informant’s code name, the woman wrote in an e-mail to the paper on Saturday.

http://news.staugustine.com/news/2009/09/29/‘mystery-letter’-leads-nowhere/

This is the most ridiculous mess I have ever seen. I will just bet there is no elderly man who was an FBI informant. I think this note was the work of the woman in scrubs. It is a shame that this sort of thing happens in a missing child's case.

JMO

Since the supposed informant is 80 and the lady was in scrubs it could be that she works in a nursing home and he is one of her patients.

ok.....i want to know.....is there a old water well there ?......has anyone looked up info on the property to see if there is such a thing? that would be intersting if there was....:)

im sure LE did that....but curious if anyone here has that ability to look something like that up and see....:)

These threads should be merged. hint hint New Letter On Haleigh May Prove Helpful - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I mapped it out and it would appear to place the site between Tyler and Monroe Alley right off Hunter Road. Interesting.

http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm <This is a good tool to measure it, but I couldn't figure out a fast way to save it.

If my calculations are right, it would put the spot almost in the backyard of the old man who said he watched the kids play every day in a very early article. I remember because I could not figure out how he could see the kids from where he lived. (I will have to find it later, but I think it was on the First Coast News.) Makes me wonder if he is SAM.

Don't you think an exFBI person would just pick up the damn phone and call the FBI? I don't buy that story for one minute or one second..nope.

That is such a good point! Or buy a stamp and mail it.

I hate that the false tips take away time and resources from LE. People can be mistaken and call in an honest but incorrect tip, but some are just loons and some desperately want to make themselves part of the story. They make me angry.

These threads should be merged. hint hint New Letter On Haleigh May Prove Helpful - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I mapped it out and it would appear to place the site between Tyler and Monroe Alley right off Hunter Road. Interesting.

http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm <This is a good tool to measure it, but I couldn't figure out a fast way to save it.

If my calculations are right, it would put the spot almost in the backyard of the old man who said he watched the kids play every day in a very early article. I remember because I could not figure out how he could see the kids from where he lived. (I will have to find it later, but I think it was on the First Coast News.) Makes me wonder if he is SAM.

That's a pretty nifty tool right there! Now if we could only get these map people to zoom in a litttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttle closer.

ps....I thought the guy who saw them play was a former neighbor.....

ETA: Using the FIRST thing mentioned...starting at the back of the MH and going straight from the right end.....you'd be almost going NW for 540 yards, then turning 12 yards due north.....which tells me it isn't in the direction of Monroe Alley afterall, but instead up in that little field area next to the little boat docks.

(And I really hate myself for playing mapquest with this bogus letter right now, but there you have it.)

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to point something out...since some people are getting confused with the correct title of this 80 y/o man. Thank you SeriouslySearching for providing the link. According to The St Augustive Record, which also happens to be the newspaper which "mystery lady" gave the letter to, the originator of the letter was an FBI informant. An informant and FBI agent are 2 different terms. This does not state he was an FBI agent. A good comparison would be a narc giving info to county cops. They are "informants" and not police officers. IMO, this exFBI informant with "special abilities" was held in high regard if they took his note serious enough to make a statement to the public regarding it - one in which they said "It could lead to the where abouts of Haleigh Cummings". I just wanted to make it clear that, according to all the newspapers posting about it, he was not exFBI but an exFBI informant.

Linkhttp://news.staugustine.com/news/2009/09/29/%E2%80%98mystery-letter%E2%80%99-leads-nowhere/

Snippet
She told detectives that she dropped the letter off for someone else, an elderly man who had been an FBI informant &#8220;with special abilities,&#8221; Schauland said Monday.
&#8220;SAM&#8221; was the informant&#8217;s code name, the woman wrote in an e-mail to the paper on Saturday.
Unquote

ok.....i want to know.....is there a old water well there ?......has anyone looked up info on the property to see if there is such a thing? that would be intersting if there was....:)

im sure LE did that....but curious if anyone here has that ability to look something like that up and see....:)

TakeNote, Let's not assume anything in this case.
It's gone on way too long, seems there's a problem somewhere... something is very wrong with this picture...imo

I don't understand Le asking the FBI informant to come into their office. Wouldn't that EXPOSE his identity for the criminal world to take retaliation to his family or himself?
Why not simply send someone from the LE office to question him in private?
Quote:
"We have not talked to him," said Schauland. "We've asked her to bring him in. I don't know if she'll be able to or not."

Remember Le searched very near where the Anthony baby was found, and didn't find her?
Remember how close Sandra Levy was found in the park, when hundreds of searchers had looked for her there and didn't find her?

I'm not assuming the child is not in that area or that R or M is telling the whole truth. I am assuming this whole 'wild goose chase' story was made-up during those 20 phone calls that night.

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to point something out...since some people are getting confused with the correct title of this 80 y/o man. Thank you SeriouslySearching for providing the link. According to The St Augustive Record, which also happens to be the newspaper which "mystery lady" gave the letter to, the originator of the letter was an FBI informant. An informant and FBI agent are 2 different terms. This does not state he was an FBI agent. A good comparison would be a narc giving info to county cops. They are "informants" and not police officers. IMO, this exFBI informant with "special abilities" was held in high regard if they took his note serious enough to make a statement to the public regarding it - one in which they said "It could lead to the where abouts of Haleigh Cummings". I just wanted to make it clear that, according to all the newspapers posting about it, he was not exFBI but an exFBI informant.

Linkhttp://news.staugustine.com/news/2009/09/29/%E2%80%98mystery-letter%E2%80%99-leads-nowhere/

Snippet
She told detectives that she dropped the letter off for someone else, an elderly man who had been an FBI informant “with special abilities,” Schauland said Monday.
“SAM” was the informant’s code name, the woman wrote in an e-mail to the paper on Saturday.
Unquote
bbm
I think the confusion is that the other article said: Schauland said a woman who dropped the tip off at offices of the St. Augustine Record Wednesday later told detectives she was passing it on from a retired FBI agent who is in his early 80s. He said she did not name the man.

That's a pretty nifty tool right there! Now if we could only get these map people to zoom in a litttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttle closer.

ps....I thought the guy who saw them play was a former neighbor.....

ETA: Using the FIRST thing mentioned...starting at the back of the MH and going straight from the right end.....you'd be almost going NW for 540 yards, then turning 12 yards due north.....which tells me it isn't in the direction of Monroe Alley afterall, but instead up in that little field area next to the little boat docks.

(And I really hate myself for playing mapquest with this bogus letter right now, but there you have it.)
I tried it that way, but it would put it right ON St. John's Court by those measurements. Bing maps let you get a little closer than the others, but still...I don't know. I read "going straight" to mean straight out which would be to the right putting it along Monroe Alley.

bbm
I think the confusion is that the other article said: Schauland said a woman who dropped the tip off at offices of the St. Augustine Record Wednesday later told detectives she was passing it on from a retired FBI agent who is in his early 80s. He said she did not name the man.

Thank you Flossie:)

It is not uncommon for an elderly patient in a nursing home to use computerized devices to make their needs known to the care staff. May it be they lost their speech partially and are difficult to understand or have no use of their speech at all. In this case, patient who are able to use their hands, CAN use typewriters, computers and the such to voice their needs.
Perhaps this gentleman DID ask scrub lady to drop off his letter with the newsstation and perhaps scrub lady was not aware of the content of the typed letter as it appeared to be sealed.
I do know that elderly people have funny ways of making us do strange things; in part because we know that at a certain agecategory they do not have many requests left.
I do know that elderly people have vivid dreams and visions and they DO believe what they saw in their mind. From my experience I know that 90% of the elderly, perhaps dying, or ill, have a good sense of 'when' it is time to 'go home'. This is especially true to many native people and certainly not uncommon to celebrate these 'spirits and visions' withhin their tribes.
I do know that patient in a nursing home have access to a TV or own a TV in their room. This makes me believe that this elderly gentleman has been following this case intently, however I do doubt he is reading NG or WB online for additional information.

With that I'd like to say hello to everyone here and throw myself out there with the rest of you supersleuthers. Keep up the great work !!

:twocents:, as always, just that

I happen to know a lot of people his age (if he is a real person and did send this letter). They are still working, living alone, and as healthy as a horse. I could easily see someone from the area who used to work with the FBI following this case very closely and studying it from his perspective (whatever he may use as his "special gifts"). Maybe he does possess a gift which has been useful in working with the FBI which they don't want to acknowledge. It would not be uncommon for LE to deny using psychics or other people who are outside the norm.

I still recall Sheriff Brown in NC searching for M. Lauterbach with the divining rods and people thinking how crazy it was at the time...but he found the grave and it had her inside. (The local news did a story on it and showed how he used simple hangers to accomplish this unusual task.)

Welcome to WS, PrinceSSa~

It is not uncommon for an elderly patient in a nursing home to use computerized devices to make their needs known to the care staff. May it be they lost their speech partially and are difficult to understand or have no use of their speech at all. In this case, patient who are able to use their hands, CAN use typewriters, computers and the such to voice their needs.
Perhaps this gentleman DID ask scrub lady to drop off his letter with the newsstation and perhaps scrub lady was not aware of the content of the typed letter as it appeared to be sealed.
I do know that elderly people have funny ways of making us do strange things; in part because we know that at a certain agecategory they do not have many requests left.
I do know that elderly people have vivid dreams and visions and they DO believe what they saw in their mind. From my experience I know that 90% of the elderly, perhaps dying, or ill, have a good sense of 'when' it is time to 'go home'. This is especially true to many native people and certainly not uncommon to celebrate these 'spirits and visions' withhin their tribes.
I do know that patient in a nursing home have access to a TV or own a TV in their room. This makes me believe that this elderly gentleman has been following this case intently, however I do doubt he is reading NG or WB online for additional information.

With that I'd like to say hello to everyone here and throw myself out there with the rest of you supersleuthers. Keep up the great work !!

:twocents:, as always, just that

:Welcome-12-june:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm