*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? Grad students pay tuition just like everyone else. Now Holmes may have had a scholarship, but simply being a grad student doesn't make you immune from paying tuition. (Speaking from extensive personal experience here.)

Well I guess people have different personal experiences. A lot of programs waive tuition, or advisor pays tuition.

Dan Oates:

-Suspect had a very high number of deliveries to home/work-- explains gear and ammunition, and the explosive set up materials-- he ordered them.

-Evidence of calculation and deliberations.

-Tip line generated 84 leads- phone calls from people who knew the suspect.

-Theatre- completed search, removed personal effects, will start returning to victims and families on Monday if not held as evidence.

-Normal patrol operations resume at 5pm.

Theatre cleared forensically by monday by police. Defense gets Tuesday, hand theatre back to management on Wednesday.

Activity on UC campus-- concern about what suspect had access to in research materials.
- No hazardous materials missing, suspect had no access.
-Non-essential personnel evacuated, no threat, swept buildings anyway, no hazards found.
-Business as usual

Motive for Suspect:
BAU is involved in investigation, will help determine motive.
Motive will be revealed in court, not until.

Paris St. Apartment:
Designed to kill whoever enter it-- most assuredly first responder would have been police officer.
" we sure as hell are angry"
Explosives cleared by 7pm.
Other four buildings can return late tonight
Still collecting evidence, so suspects building closed 'til tomorrow.

No dangerous materials are missing from the University.
No hazards were found during University search where he worked.

"A lot of questions about motive. Now, we're not going to talk about motive...." etc.

FBI behavioral unit is trying to figure out what his motivation was.

"This apartment was designed to kill whoever entered it."

Observation for Oates talking and saying he thinks the apartment was "designed to kill" whomever opened, and he thinks that was intended for LE. No. Any good defense attorney will get the idea shot down if Holmes doesn't talk. Could have been intended for roommate, guy across the hall, landlord, and so on.

Holmes is going to jail forever, no doubt. But attempting to murder a cop is not going to be one of the reasons. jmo

Wish they could tell us something besides there are rumors, and all of the law enforcement involved is great. Although those things did need to be said.

Guess we have to wait for trial, if it gets televised.

Now that everyone knows the defense will be at the theatre all day tuesday, it's going to get ugly, I imagine.

I know I'd be over there.

It's a tragedy :(
My condolences to the families of the victims;
I've mentioned a similar shooting case on the Luka Magnotta thread a month ago when people discussed about the insanity defense, 'movies made me do it', 'videogame made me do it'
The Aurora shooting reminds me of another shooting episode that happened in 1999 in Brazil, when a 24 years old, Medical student (Mateus da Costa Meira) entered a movie theater (Fight Club) in a shopping center mall and shot at everyone with a machine gun. He killed 3 persons plus injured 5, his defense alleged insanity, he was under the effect of cocaine and anti-anxiety medication and claimed that he was influenced by a scene from some videogame called 'Duke Nukem 3D'. He was sentenced to 120years in prison (but technically it is much less). Ten years later he tried to kill another inmate in jail, that homicide attempt was added to his criminal record and the killer got a new psychological re-evaluation and was transfered to a psychiatric ward for life. This case is again making the news here in Brazil, every time they mention the Aurora Massacre. My thoughts are with the victims families, it is very upsetting.

links about the 1999 case:
http://translate.google.com.br/tran...//pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateus_da_Costa_Meira
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/nov/05/alexbellos
http://www.economist.com/node/258497
http://www.dealspwn.com/whoops-spilled-hot-coffee-rifle-5328

Right now everything points to a state prosecution.

Moo and i havebt a clue ofwhat he was wanting to portray IMO it is the joker and hearing his hair was cotton candy pink is even more indicative of it being him on July 5th red headed aff profile.. the vibrant Red hair color bleaches the dark hair and deposits the bright red...therefore as it fades it absolutely fades to pink.. moo is he either re colored it and we'll see that it again was bright red or still pink.. moo he re colored it for his big event..another thought about his being red instead of green...being a hairdresser i have a lot of teenagers that go thru this home hair coloring of these vibrant colors(as well as I have plenty who come tome to do it) ..very easy for me to get green from our supply houses but i do know that our Sally stores(open to public)that the "N rage" most popular vibrant coloring brand DOES NOT CARRY GREEN IN THEIR STORES OR ON LINE..

while I realize that there are other non professional colors that have green available I will say that ffrom my experience I have had several teens choose an alternate color due to the fact that the brand that IS KNOWN TO WORK THE BEST "N RAGE" OVER THE COUNTER COLOR DOES NOT CARRY GREEN AS ONE OF THEIR AVAILABLE COLORS..

I see this as a realistic possibility of why he went with the red...besides the fact that I believe any wild vibrant color would have served this maniacs purpose.. jmo

I don't know if this is possible, but... if he was red/green colorblind, could he have thought that the Joker had red hair?

Massacres should = federal crime. The feds will put him to death in 2 years. It's not even appropriate reading about his pink hair, is he the joker?, does he have an advisor, et al. Geez... He's a mass murderer.

To be honest I dont personally find his hair color relevant, but quite obviously many ppl find it of some relevance due to the fact that there are literal hundreds of posts in this thread discussing it in some manner.. i don't think its appropriate to tell others what they should or should not be posting about. .

Quite obviously the vast majority of us are shocked and devastated about what has happened and I believe whatever helps each other to deal with and work through this tragedy is perfectly fine(so long as its within TOS which btw telling others how/what to post is AGAINST TOS) ...and yes that includes any who wish to discuss hair..JMO

Dan Oates takes questions:

-Firearms, ammo are all legal.

-State prosectution planned, not federal

-Loud music triggered neighbors to call police, don't know anything beyond that. They know for sure that this is deliberate.

-No idea what was in the canisters in theatre.

-"Passionate to protect evidence."

-names of deceased released by coroner this afternoon.

To be honest I dont personally find his hair color relevant, but quite obviously many ppl find it of some relevance due to the fact that there are literal hundreds of posts in this thread discussing it in some manner.. i don't think its appropriate to tell others what they should or should not be posting about. .

Quite obviously the vast majority of us are shocked and devastated about what has happened and I believe whatever helps each other to deal with and work through this tragedy is perfectly fine(so long as its within TOS which btw telling others how/what to post is AGAINST TOS) ...and yes that includes any who wish to discuss hair..JMO

I also don't think FBI behavioral unit is going to just decide that nobody cares why he did what he did. So hair or whatever else was going on with him is relevant in term of his motivation. We are doing the same thing professionals are going to be doing in trying to figure out his motives.

Huh? Grad students pay tuition just like everyone else. Now Holmes may have had a scholarship, but simply being a grad student doesn't make you immune from paying tuition. (Speaking from extensive personal experience here.)

Actually in the sciences, most good universities give stipends to the PhD students and waive tuition. Thus is due to grant funding, the NIH, HHMI and the NSF grants pay overhead on grants to cover the cost of PostDocs and grad students, which includes tuition to the university. So, if the program is in a university that is well stocked with grant funded faculty, the student is almost absolutely not paying tuition. It is VERY different outside of the sciences. University if Colorado is well funded and respected, so there was almost no chance that he was paying anything, and he probably was getting around 20k a year in stipend to go there.

PS, you all think this is so inviting that you want to try it? Well, they work like slave labor for 20k for around five to six years, then get a 2-5 year job as a Post Doc for a whopping 30-40k a year and still, as an academic researcher they are lucky to hit six figures in 10 years at the age of fifty. Sound good? Compare this to a 2 year MBA, make 6 figures in a couple of years. Or to an MD or JD, less time in school for them and much larger salaries with no Post Doc years. Everyone I know that goes through it doesn't do it for the money, as we all know it isn't worth it on that end.

Was deadly Colorado shooting inspired by a 1986 Batman comic book?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inspired-Batman-comic-book.html#ixzz21IE4QIzn

Note the location of this comic and the color of the guys hair.

article-2176683-142603C4000005DC-377_634x501.jpg

article-2176683-142603C0000005DC-818_634x496.jpg

Actually in the sciences, most good universities give stipends to the PhD students and waive tuition. Thus is due to grant funding, the NIH, HHMI and the NSF grants pay overhead on grants to cover the cost of PostDocs and grad students, which includes tuition to the university. So, if the program is in a university that is well stocked with grant funded faculty, the student is almost absolutely not paying tuition. It is VERY different outside of the sciences. University if Colorado is well funded and respected, so there was almost no chance that he was paying anything, and he probably was getting around 20k a year in stipend to go there.

PS, you all think this is so inviting that you want to try it? Well, they work like slave labor for 20k for around five to six years, then get a 2-5 year job as a Post Doc for a whopping 30-40k a year and still, as an academic researcher they are lucky to hit six figures in 10 years at the age of fifty. Sound good? Compare this to a 2 year MBA, make 6 figures in a couple of years. Or to an MD or JD, less time in school for them and much larger salaries with no Post Doc years. Everyone I know that goes through it doesn't do it for the money, as we all know it isn't worth it on that end.

And it doesn't get better from there. After graduating, working as a Post Doc, he would be expected to get a position for which he would need to obtain his own grants. Which is extremely competitive, and gets harder and harder due to funding levels. So it's not an easy career by any means. He couldn't find a job after B.S.? There is no guarantee he would have found a job after Ph.D. either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daniellelacy