*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how he got out of the apt.?

LOL..........very carefully?

Not to make light of it. When I woke up this morning thought to myself, did that ACTUALLY happen?

Still feels .............surreal.

He was not far along enough in his studies to have developed a thesis project. Usually it takes a couple of years of classes and a few rotates through different labs before a student picks a thesis advisor and a project.

OK, I thought that was the way things go with a Masters and to be admitted into a PhD program one has to have an advisor with a main idea for what the direction of individual study will be.

Good photos of today's apartment disabling of bomb activity (and more) here:

Colorado shooting: Aurora police disable booby traps; families and friends mourn victims

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2012/...urora-colorado-leaves-12-dead-dozens-injured/

Yikes some sad photos. One of them shows a bloody back door area to that theater with one of the weapons and a pair of pink flip flops on the ground.

Here's the photo.. could be considered graphic.. :notgood:

http://i.imgur.com/5LvRx.jpg

He was not far along enough in his studies to have developed a thesis project. Usually it takes a couple of years of classes and a few rotates through different labs before a student picks a thesis advisor and a project.

Normally by the end of first year students are expected to pick an advisor.

OK, I thought that was the way thing go with a Masters and to be admitted into a PhD program one has to have an advisor with a main idea for what the direction of individual study will be.

I believe he had a B.S., not masters. Also, in order to be admitted, one doesn't need to have an advisor. Advisors are picked during the first year. As he was there for year, he should have picked an advisor already.

I just got on, have not gotten to read any threads today, so not sure if its been told already, but witness is saying he had Cotton Candy Pink hair on July 1st when he was having AR fitted for a scope at Gander mountain guns. I am thinking the red hair was not part of the "Joker" persay, but just an expression of his frame of mind as his life was changing.

Moo and i havebt a clue ofwhat he was wanting to portray IMO it is the joker and hearing his hair was cotton candy pink is even more indicative of it being him on July 5th red headed aff profile.. the vibrant Red hair color bleaches the dark hair and deposits the bright red...therefore as it fades it absolutely fades to pink.. moo is he either re colored it and we'll see that it again was bright red or still pink.. moo he re colored it for his big event..another thought about his being red instead of green...being a hairdresser i have a lot of teenagers that go thru this home hair coloring of these vibrant colors(as well as I have plenty who come tome to do it) ..very easy for me to get green from our supply houses but i do know that our Sally stores(open to public)that the "N rage" most popular vibrant coloring brand DOES NOT CARRY GREEN IN THEIR STORES OR ON LINE..

while I realize that there are other non professional colors that have green available I will say that ffrom my experience I have had several teens choose an alternate color due to the fact that the brand that IS KNOWN TO WORK THE BEST "N RAGE" OVER THE COUNTER COLOR DOES NOT CARRY GREEN AS ONE OF THEIR AVAILABLE COLORS..

I see this as a realistic possibility of why he went with the red...besides the fact that I believe any wild vibrant color would have served this maniacs purpose.. jmo

Normally by the end of first year students are expected to pick an advisor.

Two separate universities I have worked for do not require this until after qualifying exams and at the end of three rotations. Each rotation is a minimum of one semester.

Two separate universities I have worked for do not require this until after qualifying exams and at the end of three rotations. Each rotation is a minimum of one semester.

There might be differences from school to school.
In a lot of schools by the end of first year students are expected to pick an advisor.
He could have picked an advisor already, but would not be far along in the project if he did.
Also, no one would advise him to go do what he did-regardless of whether he picked an advisor or not.

Massacres should = federal crime. The feds will put him to death in 2 years. It's not even appropriate reading about his pink hair, is he the joker?, does he have an advisor, et al. Geez... He's a mass murderer.

So many times parents beg to have their children treated, so many times it is quite obvious that people who are medicated are better, and less unstable. And so many homeless are out in the street Becasue there is no institution to house them any longer.
I agree. This is such a huge, huge problem. And the original 60s deinstitutionalization, while altruistic, was a phenomenal failure. Primarily bc the funds that were originally allocated for half-way houses and transitional programs, which I hold are extremely important in helping the institutionalized successfully transition back into society, ended up being spent on other things.

As for medication, unless we come up with some sort of voluntary subcutaneous system that is designed to release "much needed" medications into a person's system, there is no real means (outside of institutionalization) to keep people on their meds. If you just take a look at schizophrenia (it occurs with bi-polar I as well), you'll find that people will inevitably start feeling better (due to med stabilization) and then, stop taking their meds bc they feel better. And end up crashing. There is also the side affect issue. Which can involve everything from dry mouth and blurred vision, to weight gain and libido decline. Or the more permanent, irreversible stuff, such as tardive dyskinesia.

Wrt the meds bit, one problem however, that I, personally, think should/must be addressed, if we are ever to make any headway at all, is the cost of meds. Anti-psychotics, for example, run over $100/month. Now, add to that medications that are designed to combat side affects, and you can, perhaps, see how easily the cost also works against those who are mentally ill.

As for the homeless issue. Even when communities provide homeless shelters, they are less than palatable. It is unsurprising, therefore, that so many take to the streets, prefer sleeping on park benches or under bridges. Don't know exactly how to explain this bit but I have talked with several homeless who would not go to a shelter, even if you paid them. Well, they'd go long enough to get the money, but not stay.

As for getting mental health help for children. The biggest problem, imho, is that, in order to get help, families often end up in the system. Which in turn, ends up being counter productive. In the end, and in the case of children, specifically, I really do believe that our society needs to find its way back to community and actually establishing roots. Bc I do think the breakdown of community, and for that matter, family, plays a role in not only increased risk for criminal behavior but increased risk for mental illness as well.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

Chief Dan Oates on suspect's apt:
Believe they've eliminated most threats, still working.
Robot has been in, emerged.

FBI:

FBI team from Quantico Lab Division arrived last night- chemists, examiners, post-blast recovery, bomb techs.
Safety is paramount, then preservation of evidence.

Made entry with robot driven by bomb tech
Disabled trip wire
Neutrolized hyperbolic mixture
Then on to IED with unknown liquid- disabled trigger

THREAT HAS BEEN REDUCED, NOT ELIMINATED

Still sending techs in for unknown incendiary substances
Residents should be able to return tomorrow
Evidence sent to Quantico

Since he is in the graduate program, he would not be paying tuition to begin with.

Huh? Grad students pay tuition just like everyone else. Now Holmes may have had a scholarship, but simply being a grad student doesn't make you immune from paying tuition. (Speaking from extensive personal experience here.)

ETA: Never mind. I see from the ensuing posts that the sciences work very differently from the arts, the latter being my area of expertise. Personally, I didn't pay much tuition because I did so much teaching; but the cost of grad school in the arts is absurd relative to the potential earnings in the field.

Questions ( Will not jeopardize investigation):

-Have done field tests on substances, but won't make definitive conclusion until Quantico.

-Apartment was extremely dangerous environment-- would have killed first responders

-Analyzed each device before disabling, then sent evidence out of apt to preserve it.

-Devices were very sophisticated, won't give details.

Oh I know, I'm very curious about what his intentions were for his research in the first place and whether he would have been kicked out of school anyway. He clearly was not intending on dying during his killing spree and he may have been developing his own research. JMO I think he was really enjoying what he was doing.
Yeah, I know. And totally get what you're talking about. In fact, I've been scouring the web, trying to educate myself wrt "MicroRNA biomarkers" and how such a presentation would relate to his course, "Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders." Esp since, from what I can find, so far, MicroRNA seems to be related to cancer research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielfromlb