*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I can attest personally to the fact that this is a misleading statement. YES, grad students are often paid a small salary. In the sciences it is usually for some type of a lab research study done on federal or private industry grant money. BUT, it does not cover much more than basic living expenses. It would normally be between $1500 and $2000 dollars a month at the most. Below is one ESTIMATE I found handy to gauge the cost of the average tuition and fees and living expenses for a graduate student in the USA.

Tuition - $43,930

Room & Board - $18,973*

Books & Supplies - $1,200

Personal Expenses - $1,300

Travel - $500

Mandatory Health Insurance - $1,800 (estimated)

Matriculation Fee (1st year students) - $500

Total Cost - $68,203

http://www.grad.jhu.edu/admissions/cost-financial-aid/

The starred amount for room and board is what is normally covered by being a "paid" position.

This is pretty spot on with what I've read. I read last night he received a salary of about $24k (so that would be $2k a month) for his work at the University. I've never heard of Ph.D programs being free for science per another poster (not saying it's not true, never heard it though). I wonder if that's because you can only get in with a full scholarship? Re: the health insurance, he was probably covered under his parents since he was single and under age 26.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree....these students DO pay tuition and fees at VERY high rates. My DH, myself and my DS all have advanced degrees from three different institutions. NONE of us received free tuition and neither did ANY of the other students with whom we were studying at the various times or places.

Believe me....if advanced degrees were FREE and PAID positions, MILLIONS of out of work college graduates would be ecstatic in this country right now!!!!!!!!

jmo

If it is, I'm enrolling Monday.

That is correct. I am about to finish my Ph.D. in Psychology. My tuition is paid and I receive a small salary. I do have to pay for student health insurance and fees related to the tuition. I get more than the average graduate student, but it's still not enough to live off so I have had to take loans, but it certainly does add up to $100k.

Are you on a scholarship? Are all of your classmates in a free program as well?

This is pretty spot on with what I've read. I read last night he received a salary of about $24k (so that would be $2k a month) for his work at the University. I've never heard of Ph.D programs being free for science per another poster (not saying it's not true, never heard it though). I wonder if that's because you can only get in with a full scholarship? Re: the health insurance, he was probably covered under his parents since he was single and under age 26.

I just posted above, but I am getting my Ph.D. in Psychology and our tuition is paid. It's not a scholarship, it's just how it works. And this is true for all areas of Psychology whether you are in clinical, social, neuroscience, developmental, or cognitive.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree....these students DO pay tuition and fees at VERY high rates. My DH, myself and my DS all have advanced degrees from three different institutions. NONE of us received free tuition and neither did ANY of the other students with whom we were studying at the various times or places.

Believe me....if advanced degrees were FREE and PAID positions, MILLIONS of out of work college graduates would be ecstatic in this country right now!!!!!!!!

jmo

Right. I took a semester off from my MPA because I'm knocked up. We have sooo much more money right now. Well, at least we will until the baby comes. :woohoo:

this is a sex meet-up website. I wonder if he has a online *advertiser censored* addiction.

A guy with his lack of social skills may be a virgin...repressed sexuality can lead to obsessive thoughts and anger. He certainly seems very obsessive, looks like he had every detail of his crime planned out beforehand, including techno music at his apt. He did target a place where lots of couples go; he may have been depressed/angry he was so alone.

I just posted above, but I am getting my Ph.D. in Psychology and our tuition is paid. It's not a scholarship, it's just how it works. And this is true for all areas of Psychology whether you are in clinical, social, neuroscience, developmental, or cognitive.

I think that sound you heard was the entire board switching majors.

Are you on a scholarship? Are all of your classmates in a free program as well?

No, it's not a scholarship. And yes, every single Ph.D. student in our department has their tuition paid. The department may help pay for some students, but most people get paid from their advisor's grant money. When you write a grant to do your research, you include the cost for graduate students which includes the cost of tuition as well as their stipend.

I think that sound you heard was the entire board switching majors.

Ha, well, we may not have to pay tuition, but it's very difficult to get accepted into these programs. You can't just have a good GPA and GRE and get in. And believe me when I say, although I don't have to pay tuition, this has been the longest, most physically and emotionally exhausting 6 years of my life. I am just a few weeks away from defending my dissertation and I couldn't be more relieved!

Oh, and just to add, so many people drop out of the program. It is very challenging and many people can't handle it or realize it's not for them and leave the program.

jmo

A lot of graduate programs offer a tuition waiver to qualified students. However, I have googled his specific program and can not find any information on tuition waivers.

No, it's not a scholarship. And yes, every single Ph.D. student in our department has their tuition paid. The department may help pay for some students, but most people get paid from their advisor's grant money. When you write a grant to do your research, you include the cost for graduate students which includes the cost of tuition as well as their stipend.

Right, it's a common practice in a science fields. If this particular guy had an advisor and was working in a paid position (which we already know he had a paid position) that advisor could have been paying his tuition.

IMO this Aurora massacre was probably inspired by the norwegian massmurderer/terrorist Anders Behring Breivik.

And I see it as the same type of terrorist attack as Anders Behring Breivik commited.

James Holmes's aganda was probably not the same as Anders Behring Breivik's, however it is as if JH used Breivik's deeds as a recipe for his own horrible deed.

There are SO many similarities:

Both targeted a location with potential young people-victims.

Both choose to kill as many people as possible.

Both had parallel second crime scen/location involving bomb/bombs.

Both used timer mechanisms
ABB: for the car bomb in Oslo city
JH: to stop the techno music playing in his apartment at precisley 1AM.

Both used several simelar weapons, example; both had 2 Glocks each.

Both pretened to be somthing they were not:
ABB: a policeman
JH: a moviegoer

Both used more than one outfits throughout their crime.

Both wore bulitsafe west.

Both wore a specific black outfit:
ABB: Black ballistic outfits.
JH: Black police outfits

Both had a fantasy identity:
ABB: belive he is "knight Justiciar grand master" of a Templarorganisation
JH: The Joker (villain in the Batman saga).

Both used Hyundai cars, different types but both Hyundai brands,
ABB: possibly grey
JH: white .

Both took drugs in the hours before the attack.
ABB: steroid ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin before his rampage
JH : reports that JH had taken 100mg of Vicodin about two and half hours before the shooting.
Some have stated that it in fact was 100 mg of hydrocodone, the actual narcotic in Vicodin. Time will tell I guess.

Both used music as a part of their crimes.

Both used long time planing the crimes.

Both highly intelligent.

Both was "under the radar", neither had criminal records.

Both surrended calmly, willingly.

Both massacre commited in July:
ABB: Jul 22, 2011
JH: Jul 20, 2012,
JH: massacre was 2 days short of ABB's 1 year anniversery.

Both had high numbers of victims:
ABB: victims all together 102, 77 died, 25 wounded
JH: victims all together 71, 12 died, 59 wounded.
However JH probably inteded to kill many more but his amo round jamed, which saved lots of lives.

Additinal info of interest concerning this theorie:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-to-make-himself-strong-before-shooting.html

Breivik had referred to other “cells” outside Norway that were ready to follow his example.
“He says there are two cells in Norway and others from the Western world,” Mr Lippestad said at a press conference in Oslo.

It's going to be interesting to know what JH's motive/inspiration was.

Personaly I do belive that, one way or the other, some kind of manifesto/explanation from James Holmes, will appear soon.
It might even already be out there somwere, its possible that it has just not been found yet...time will tell I hope...

Adding more similarities:

Both had NOT been in military

Also adding images of their outfit and weapons:

<modsnip>

A lot of graduate programs offer a tuition waiver to qualified students. However, I have googled his specific program and can not find any information on tuition waivers.

Well, I know two people who recently graduated from the neuroscience program at my university and are now both faculty members at his school and they actually knew who he was. Anyway, I believe it works the same way there.

I'm not really familiar with the subject since post-grad degrees in my field are never paid or paid for by grant money, but I know two people whose kids recently were offered full rides and stipends for their masters/ph.d work. One in a science at SMU and one in a liberal arts field at Purdue. They are both top of their classes, so I don't know how easy they are to come by.

I'm sorry, I need to say this, and please no tomatos...

I understand, from a psychological viewpoint, that anger is necessary. I know why people are raging against this man. But, I just can't feel anger toward him. I am disgusted, horrified and heartbroken at his actions. I believe in the days to come, we, as a nation, will need to have an open dialogue about gun control, early intervention for mental health and the impact of violence in our society, among other things. But, this man was disturbed. He was ill. I just cannot fathom an alternative. He is intelligent and calculating, but not in his right mind. It is a sickening, terrible tragedy, but I view it the same as the disaster in Japan or hurricane Katrina. There is no one, in my mind, to rail against, because he was not in his right mind.

I can easily hate parents who kill their children, or rapists, pedophiles and terrorists. And, if the coming days bring evidence that he did this political reasons, I may feel differently. But, today, I only feel saddness and pity. I honestly pray God will have mercy on his tortured soul.

I do agree that we need to lift up and honor the innocent victims of this senseless act. We need to remember their lives and names, and do all we can to lessen the pain for their families. We don't need to remember his name. I just can't keep reading (comments from news sites, mainly, not necessarily here...) hate filled comments. Calling him a coward and a monster will not ease the hurt. Anger and hate will not heal the damage done yesterday. Compassion, empathy and understanding will.

Okay, I am done, go easy... All moo...

Is there a specific reason that it matters where his money came from? I doubt that there is any implication of liability for CU if they were giving him $24,000 a year as a lab technician. Nor would there be for his family if they were paying another $40,000 in tuition for him. I guess it could come into play somehow in a civil suit. But in the current criminal case, I am not sure why it would matter if any of his finances came from the school or family members.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member