*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AURORA, CO -- A man who was at the Colorado movie theater where a dozen people were killed this morning, says he saw the gunman.

He says he thinks someone deliberately let the gunman inside once the movie started.

Here's what he told TV station KCNC this morning live on their newscast.

Expanded coverage

"As I was sitting down to get my seat, I noticed that a person came up to the front row, the front right, sat down, and as credits were going, it looked like he got a phone call. He went out toward the emergency exit doorway, which I thought was unusual to take a phone call. And it seemed like he probably pried it open, or probably did not let it latch all the way. As soon as the movie started, somebody came in, all black, gas mask, armor, and threw a gas can into the audience, and it went off, and then there were gunshots that took place."
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/25...one-let-gunman-inside-Colorado-movie-theater-

The guy going out and the guy coming in were most likely the same person. Nothing in this story indicates someone let the guy in.

Not directed at the O/P, just conjecture on the story.

Any ideas how long he has been planning this? I bet he is kicking himself concerning the flat - that didn't go to plan.

According to this:

http://news.yahoo.com/police-colo-suspect-planned-attack-months-232812400.html

It sounds like he's been planning it for four months or more. IMHO, that would indicate to me that it's got nothing to do with his recent grades - if anything, his grades started falling either because he was so busy plotting this, or because he knew he wouldn't be going to school much longer and didn't care.

Yes I'll bet 48 hours is a special tonight and regular programming preempted

Someone mentioned that they only defense this guy would have was insanity. I believe that he can;'t even claim this. This was all premeditated.

1. He ordered guns, ammo, and chemicals, months in advance
2. he booby trapped his apartment
3. he set his music to loop, trying to lure someone to open that door.
4. He purchased a movie ticket,
5. he went out the door, knowing full well what he was gonna do
6. he surrendered to police

Someone who is mentally ill would not pre plan all that he did. Nor would they have everything set up perfectly. If someone snapped, or had a psychotic break they don't take time to think about their actions, they just react. He took a lot of time to plan this out, so an insanity defense may not even work here. The only thing he may be able to claim is being a sociopath, and even then that won't get him off, he will still be doing hard time.

I think the only thing that might save him from the Death penatly is that he told the police that his apartment was booby trapped. This helped to save many more lives.

Agreed.

At heart the insanity defense is that the perpetrator did not understand what he/she was doing was wrong.

That will be difficult if not impossible to prove here.

Someone mentioned that they only defense this guy would have was insanity. I believe that he can;'t even claim this. This was all premeditated.

1. He ordered guns, ammo, and chemicals, months in advance
2. he booby trapped his apartment
3. he set his music to loop, trying to lure someone to open that door.
4. He purchased a movie ticket,
5. he went out the door, knowing full well what he was gonna do
6. he surrendered to police

Someone who is mentally ill would not pre plan all that he did. Nor would they have everything set up perfectly. If someone snapped, or had a psychotic break they don't take time to think about their actions, they just react. He took a lot of time to plan this out, so an insanity defense may not even work here. The only thing he may be able to claim is being a sociopath, and even then that won't get him off, he will still be doing hard time.

I think the only thing that might save him from the Death penatly is that he told the police that his apartment was booby trapped. This helped to save many more lives.
It is quite doubtful a jury would believe an insanity defense, however, being caught at the scene combined with what he had in his apartment, it is probably the only thing his defense could be able to try. There certainly isn't any doubt he is the perpetrator, in my opinion.

As for being saved from the DP by telling LE the apartment was booby-trapped, he put their lives at risk, the lives of everyone in the building, and countless manhours to get the devices out of the apartment. He may think telling them may spare his life, but again, it probably won't work. It is my belief he told them as a dare, such as "see if you're smarter than I am".

MOO

February said:
I think somehow, his education/study got into his head.

He is studying this :

Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders
NRSC 7614 - Spring 2012

Department of Psychiatry and Neuroscience Program

Jason Tregellas, PhD, Course Director

These suggested reading materials are an educational resource for UCD faculty and students taking NRSC 7614, a course offered at UCSOM during the spring in even-numbered years.

Alzheimer's D​isease, by Christopher Filley, MD

Alzheimer's disease. Cummings JL. N Engl J Med. 2004 Jul 1;351(1):56-67

Alzheimer's disease. Querfurth HW, LaFerla FM. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jan 28;362(4):329-44. ​

Multiple Sclerosis, by Timothy Vollmer, M.D.
​
Cognitive reserve

Demyelination, Inflammation, and Neurodegeneration in Multiple Sclerosis Deep Gray Matter

Evidence for progressive gray matter loss in patients with relapsingremitting MS

Inflammation, demyelination, and degeneration — Recent insights from MS pathology

Pathophysiology of implammation and tissue injury in ms What ar the targets for therapy​
Traumatic Brain Injury, by David Arciniegas, M.D.

Movement Disorders, by Al Anderson, M.D.

Substance Abuse, by Nancy Zahniser, Ph.D.

Depression, by Christopher Schneck, M.D.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/co.../NRSC7614.aspx
I am fairly confident in saying that I don't believe it was anything in the above coursework of his that caused him to commit the murders. In college I got my Bachelor's in Linguistics with a Minor in Cognitive Psychology, and my Master's in Communicative Disorders because I was fascinated with the study of the Brain.(I studied most of the above topics, and did my Thesis on Alzheimer's). I also have a strong interest in True Crime, as evidenced by my presence on Websleuths. For 13 years, I used my studies to help people with brain disorders as a Speech-Language Pathologist, not to harm people!!! This guy clearly had other issues going on with him, his eyes look creepy in his photos that have been in the news and his smirk is evil, not "normal",IMO.:twocents:

Guess he won't be repaying his student loans, unless somehow the government can garnish his future wages

IDK but IIRC and I very well may not, there has been no other case of mass killing where the mugshot wasn't released out of respect for the victims.

I'm betting that he was wearing full Joker make-up - it may even have been applied with some sort of permanent or semi-permanent dye (like magic-marker) so that it was not easily removed.

Thanks. That title is not in my guide. What time did it start where you are? I got one coming up at 8pm and 9pm on CBS.

It's almost over now. I tuned in about 35 minutes ago. (9 pm, Central time)

A different thought...

Is there any way this guy could have been experimenting on himself (whether via drugs or some sort of biological agent) that, for want of a better term, "messed up his brain?"
This is something I also wondered...

Watching the tv... how eerie... old comic, man with red hair shoots up that theater. I know it's been talked about on here, but this made it come to life.

I can appreciate your opinion, however, having seen the movie last night, the characters in the movie are killing and picking off people left and right just as the shooter did in the theater. I am not saying it is their fault by any means, but I am entitled to my opinion that a midnight showing of a very violent movie that lasts 3 hours is not the place for a 6yo.

As I posted before, they may have kept the child up past his/her usual nap so he/she would sleep through it.

My parents had me when they were very young and naive and this was exactly the kind of thing they might have done.

And I also agree with the OP that no parents, however naive, would have ever expected a crowded movie theater--which I am sure had added security for this event--to turn into a killing field.

if there was a system in place to call his phone when his
apartment was to explode, theoretically the calling device
would have been destroyed before completing the call.
he could have simply set a timed bomb in his apartment
for midnight which would have diverted first responders.
thankfully he didn't think of that, but considering the
methodical planning involved in this, the apartment
bomb plot seems sloppy.

mrsu said:
I'm not trying to be judgmental, but WHY in the world was a 6yo (and other small children) at a midnight viewing of The Dark Knight Rises?? It is NOT a children's movie! And the movie was almost 3 hours long.

My thought was that they just didn't want to spend money on a sitter. The 'sleeping thru the movie' is questionable to me, b/c a ticket was bought for them, although the ticket was probs about $10, and to pay a sitter it would have been around $50...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay