Discussion of the New Lead in the Search for Stacy Peterson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If cadaver dogs alerted on Stacy's car and Drew would not allow them to examine it I don't understand why they did not leave an officer there to guard the car and go get a search warrant for the car immediately???

If cadaver dogs alerted on Stacy's car and Drew would not allow them to examine it I don't understand why they did not leave an officer there to guard the car and go get a search warrant for the car immediately???
Because fellow police are like family, and families have each other's backs. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. It just is what it is.

That would make too much sense now, wouldn't it?
If drug dogs alert on a car, they can search via probable cause- wouldn't that rule come into play here, as well? And a cadaver alert would be way more serious than a drug alert imo.

Still saying it is the weather?? oh well..........

Today is the first day in over a week that it has not rained. I am about a 3 hr drive west from Peoria and the weather is quite alike. Hopefully the sun has dried a lot out today, but I believe it is supposed to storm again tomorrow. :(

I'm not completely discouraged by these reports. I've felt all along that the police never intended on having the media focus on their search efforts, and also didn't want the defense team alerted.

Now, with the trial of DP for Kathleen's murder looming - the trial beginning three weeks from tomorrow, I think LE is purposely downplaying the new lead and the search site.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn later on that while media was focused on the trial, LE resumed the search at the site northwest of Peoria.

I'm encouraged by this article:

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1602636486/Search-for-Stacy-Peterson-goes-quiet

In the above article is states.................................

"Peoria County Sheriff Mike McCoy said Tuesday his department still is awaiting word from the lead investigators on the case.

"The Will County State's Attorney's Office and Illinois State Police District 3 said that when they return, they would contact us before they came," he said. "At this time, we're protecting the site, waiting to assist them when they return."

My comment...........if the lead wasn't important and credible, why would they have another police agency protecting the site? That's a utilization of manpower and unnecessary expense if the lead isn't important.

If the lead didn't pan out, I think they would state that publicly rather than leave questions about the search site in limbo.

I think if it wasn't credible, they wouldn't be guarding the area also. I can testify to the rain around in these here parts as of late. It came down in sheets yesterday, from noon til 7pm and a couple of random showers last night. I thought it was a mirage when I got up this morning and the sun was out!

Yeah-guarding the site seems to be a dead give away to me. JMO.

How is that possible? I mean if I was a cop and a fellow cops wife was missing and he didn't want me to examine her car then red lights would be flashin big time. Couldn't they get a warrant to search that car?

On the subject of the bikini ... if I went missing I swear my husband couldn't tell you what I was wearing at the time much less if a bikini was missing from a drawer. DP is so full of it!

As closeobserver mentioned, DP was a fellow police officer, and this probably came into play at that moment.

The state police did get a search warrant and searched the house and cars. They impounded Stacy's car, and if I remember correctly, I think they impounded Drew's car too. I know that Stacy's car was held for months. I definitely remember that when the search of the house was done, LE came out with several boxes of evidence.

I'm vague on this, but I think that during the search of the house the dogs also hit on the master bedroom.

I've always had the feeling that he put her in an old house somewhere, and old house that he has access to. I'm sure LE must have checked any place like that his family or him may own.

This is just speculation on my part but I wonder if LE wants to downplay this until after the KS trial starts so DP's defense can't claim that the jury pool was tainted by this. In other words, if they don't downplay it and they are publicly stating that they think they have found SP, it could be fresh in the minds of potential jurors and they could have a harder time seating a jury for the KS trial. KWIM?

Another story, dated yesterday, about why the search hasn't resumed. It doesn't really tell us more than we already know, but I wonder what LE means by follow up work on the lead?

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/7480126.php?contentType=4&contentId=6296091

That could include tasks like checking up on the rest of the informant's story, searching other sites that person mentioned, digging out background information on the person, verifying other incidents or information the person provided, researching property owners, checking out who had access to the property, talking to neighbors who might have noticed something, etc. etc. etc.

<snip>

DAVE ALWAN SPEAKS OUT ABOUT PETERSON SEARCH

By WEEK Producer
Story published: June 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM CDT

"Illinois State Police have stalled the search for Stacy Peterson in Peoria County, but the owner of the farm they are searching is speaking out.

Dave Alwan says he was shocked when police called him June 4th to search his property, not knowing it had to do with the Peterson case.:

<"Alwan says police do not think he was involved in the disappearance of Stacy Peterson.

Police also say just because they aren't out there searching right now, doesn't mean the search is suspended.">

http://www.centralillinoisnewscenter.com/news/local/96602914.html

Another story, dated yesterday, about why the search hasn't resumed. It doesn't really tell us more than we already know, but I wonder what LE means by follow up work on the lead?

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/7480126.php?contentType=4&contentId=6296091

From the article;

They said they didn't take any evidence away from the scene.

But the anthropologist working with state police told Newsradio 780 that he thinks investigators are still "very convinced" that Stacy Peterson's body is somewhere on that property.

If it's true they haven't taken any evidence away from the scene then the press conference being a way to lure the media to another location is probably not right.

Would they lie about that? If so what possible repercussions could it have in a trial for SP's murder? :waitasec:

Police can lie to the media. Just like the media can be intentionally mislead during times of conflict by, say, the WH-IIRC during Gulf1, we sent 100K troops but the media was told it was 400K...something like that?

The downside? It kind of kills a feeling of trust between the police sources and the journalists...it makes the media less likely to cooperate. I think it is akin to lying to suspects to get a confession-you know what I mean?

This is just speculation on my part but I wonder if LE wants to downplay this until after the KS trial starts so DP's defense can't claim that the jury pool was tainted by this. In other words, if they don't downplay it and they are publicly stating that they think they have found SP, it could be fresh in the minds of potential jurors and they could have a harder time seating a jury for the KS trial. KWIM?

I've thought from the beginning - when we first heard of the new search - that LE didn't want the media attention on their search. I think they intended on carrying out the search in secret, and if they found Stacy's remains and it was confirmed, then they'd make an announcement.

But with the Kathleen Savio murder trial so close at hand, LE might delay any announcement until after the trial was over and a verdict in. That way, there would be no question of the announcement affecting the outcome of the trial, and no grounds for appeal.

Leila I hope you are right.

It would take weeks to identify any remains found anyway. Hopefully Drew did put her in a container though, that way most of the remains will be together and identification just a bit easier. I still cannot believe Drew said anything, or that it is the truth.

Fingers crossed that the search continues and Stacy is found. LE will let us know when they find Stacy and identify her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapturedOnCamera
Back