Discussion Thread #61 ~ the appeal~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...-prison-slain-girlfriends-mother-says/6476508

Oscar Pistorius should not be given early release from prison, June Steenkamp says

"I don't think it is long enough for somebody who has caused somebody's death," Steenkamp's mother June told South Africa's Sunday Times newspaper.

"Surely her life is worth more than 10 months' incarceration?

"He's taken something so precious out of our lives. Her life is gone.

"All I could think about was her in that toilet and that she couldn't move.

"She couldn't get out of the way. She was trapped in there. She was suffering. She was in pain and agony.

"Her brains all over... I've had nightmares over that."

Steenkamp was 29 years old when Pistorius shot her dead.

For those wanting to follow the Christopher Panayiotou bail hearing, it will continue tomorrow. Here's the thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ort-Elizabeth-21-April-2015-**ARRESTS**/page4

http://citizen.co.za/388111/june-steenkamp-feels-panayiotou-pain/

Steenkamp spoke of the gut-wrenching heartache she felt upon hearing the news of the incident, and the shock to later find out that Panayiotou’s death was allegedly orchestrated by her husband, Christoper. It brought back feelings of the day she heard Reeva was shot dead by the hands of her boyfriend Paralympian and culpable homicide convicted Oscar Pistorius.
“I was sick. Absolutely physically ill when I heard about this.

“I think the emergency bells are ringing in this town. It’s totally out of control. We women are the ones taking the brunt, with no respect for our lives even. And the men are showing this all the time.
“We are always the one beaten up or bruised. Anene Booysen, look at that, there was no respect for her life.

http://ewn.co.za/2015/05/20/Rameez-Patel-Second-bail-application-hearing-today

Rameez Patel is accused of strangling, beating and shooting his wife Fatima in their home last month.

Patel is adamant he didn’t kill his wife and maintained she was killed by a burglar who entered their rented house in a secured complex.

He has pleaded not guilty and wants to be released on bail saying he has been psychologically and emotionally affected by the murder.

It seems to exist one Oscar after another ......

http://ewn.co.za/2015/05/20/Rameez-Patel-Second-bail-application-hearing-today

Rameez Patel is accused of strangling, beating and shooting his wife Fatima in their home last month.

Patel is adamant he didn’t kill his wife and maintained she was killed by a burglar who entered their rented house in a secured complex.

He has pleaded not guilty and wants to be released on bail saying he has been psychologically and emotionally affected by the murder.

It seems to exist one Oscar after another ......
...one of the reasons why justice needs to be seen to of been done ...

A thorough, independent judgement that was published before Judge Masipa gave her verdict.

http://siegfriedwalther.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/oscartrial-oscarpistorius-verdict-by.html

.... also paid from family P and PR-machine?

In the instant case, no evidence was led that to demonstrate that the accused’s judgement was affected by alcohol or drugs.

Not for nothing "a good friend of the family" was at the right time at the crime scene, IMO.

There is no evidence to show that the Accused is prone to resorting to violence of any description against women.

So violence/murder counts only as from the 2nd time (then there would be evidence from the time before)?

I have no desire to read this judgment to the end. I have to get upset otherwise.

In the instant case, no evidence was led that to demonstrate that the accused’s judgement was affected by alcohol or drugs.

Not for nothing "a good friend of the family" was at the right time at the crime scene, IMO.

There is no evidence to show that the Accused is prone to resorting to violence of any description against women.

So violence/murder counts only as from the 2nd time (then there would be evidence from the time before)?

I have no desire to read this judgment to the end. I have to get upset otherwise.

BiB... probably

Although a well written article by Judge Knott, the analysis and conclusions are naive at best.

1. "... there was no evidence to suggest that the Accused stood to make any financial gain, nor that he stood to benefit from any insurance policy pay-out arising from the demise of the Deceased"

Would a call to police/estate security by OP's neighbours resulting in a formal complaint by Reeva against OP not affect OP's financials ?... It would most certainly would : OP's entire revenue model rests almost exclusively on sponsorships which are predicated on a positive public image. Therefore OP had nothing to gain by shooting and killing Reeve, he only had everything to loose, which in my opinion, is a stronger motive.

2. "Most sober persons, no matter how angry, would never come close to a situation where their resulting loss of control would cause them to think it would be a good idea to fire at anyone"

Judge Knott must be unaware of crimes of passion which, coincidentally, occur between individuals in a close relationship. I wonder how many sober individuals thought it was good idea to examine by touch an unfamiliar loaded firearm underneath the table of a crowded public restaurant ?

3. "most sober people (i.e. not under the influence of alcohol or drugs) would stop far short of murder

Is this guy for real ??... prisons all around the world are filled with criminals who killed whilst not intoxicated... Furthermore, it is true that most sober people do not commit murder... but the same is true for most intoxicated individuals as well... very specious arguments by Judge Knott.

4. "because spousal killing in the absence or alcohol or drugs, is likely to be the exception rather than the rule... It is incumbent upon the State to lead admissible evidence relating to a relevant personality disorder or character defect on the Accused’s part which might cause him, even when sober, to lose control to the extent that the Accused in this case is alleged to have done"

LOL... basically if one cannot prove intoxication or a demonstrable psychological disorder, then one cannot successfully convict an accused for an anger induced murder !!!... Judge Knott can be quite funny !

... I could go on and on about the nonsensical elements in each of the paragraphs and the mounting sophistry being this article... but I believe it to be unnecessary as reading it is amusing enough.

BiB... probably

Although a well written article by Judge Knott, the analysis and conclusions are naive at best.

1. "... there was no evidence to suggest that the Accused stood to make any financial gain, nor that he stood to benefit from any insurance policy pay-out arising from the demise of the Deceased"

Would a call to police/estate security by OP's neighbours resulting in a formal complaint by Reeva against OP not affect OP's financials ?... It would most certainly would : OP's entire revenue model rests almost exclusively on sponsorships which are predicated on a positive public image. Therefore OP had nothing to gain by shooting and killing Reeve, he only had everything to loose, which in my opinion, is a stronger motive.

2. "Most sober persons, no matter how angry, would never come close to a situation where their resulting loss of control would cause them to think it would be a good idea to fire at anyone"

Judge Knott must be unaware of crimes of passion which, coincidentally, occur between individuals in a close relationship. I wonder how many sober individuals thought it was good idea to examine by touch an unfamiliar loaded firearm underneath the table of a crowded public restaurant ?

3. "most sober people (i.e. not under the influence of alcohol or drugs) would stop far short of murder

Is this guy for real ??... prisons all around the world are filled with criminals who killed whilst not intoxicated... Furthermore, it is true that most sober people do not commit murder... but the same is true for most intoxicated individuals as well... very specious arguments by Judge Knott.

4. "because spousal killing in the absence or alcohol or drugs, is likely to be the exception rather than the rule... It is incumbent upon the State to lead admissible evidence relating to a relevant personality disorder or character defect on the Accused’s part which might cause him, even when sober, to lose control to the extent that the Accused in this case is alleged to have done"

LOL... basically if one cannot prove intoxication or a demonstrable psychological disorder, then one cannot successfully convict an accused for an anger induced murder !!!... Judge Knott can be quite funny !

... I could go on and on about the nonsensical elements in each of the paragraphs and the mounting sophistry being this article... but I believe it to be unnecessary as reading it is amusing enough.

1. I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that OP murdered Reeva and then invented the intruder story to avoid bad publicity and loss of earnings because of a complaint she might make?

2. A crime of passion is perfectly possible but what is the convincing evidence? The small number of messages suggesting a problem would fit right in with a crime passionnel but in themselves are unconvincing.

3/4. I don't know the statistics but in my experience fights tend to occur at closing time rather than when the pub opens. Not that I'd deliberately spill a man's pint to prove the point but it makes sense to me that loss of control followed by murder is much more likely if there is drink involved.

IIRC there was no evidence that OP was under the influence of anything. If the police had noticed anything in his behaviour in this regard then I'm sure they would have spoken up.

It seems to me that it is about the weight of evidence rather than a hard and fast rule. Of course he could have become angry and then murdered her without being under the influence but it is less likely. This makes it more difficult for the prosecution to say "this is how it happened and it could not have reasonably happened any other way"

I think Botha said that the alcohol/drug test results were lost?

Do you think that a friend of the family was able to make the test results disappear?

1. I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that OP murdered Reeva and then invented the intruder story to avoid bad publicity and loss of earnings because of a complaint she might make?

Reeva was screaming her head off at 3AM in a quiet rural upscale estate... Neighbours were calling security...

OP realized that if Reeva kept screaming, security/police would eventually be knocking at his front door and they would want an explanation for the disturbance from both parties (OP and Reeva)... at which time Reeva would most certainly lodge a formal complaint (let us not forget she was a victim of domestic abuse from a previous boyfriend AND she was a guest speaker at a high school that very morning on that very subject)

Therefore OP had an escalating imperative to silence Reeva... but the more he got angry at her because she would not stop screaming, the more she got terrified of him and what he might do to her and the more she screamed... this escalation spiralled out of control until OP lost it and shot her.

When your pay check comes from your public image you are very much aware of the impact a domestic violence complaint from Reeva would have on your career : media frenzy and loss of sponsors.

2. A crime of passion is perfectly possible but what is the convincing evidence? The small number of messages suggesting a problem would fit right in with a crime passionnel but in themselves are unconvincing.

Much convincing evidence was led about OP's very short fuse and reckless/confrontational attitude towards others.

I don't know what kind of evidence you expect to obtain in such a case ?... a long documented and corroborated history of OP physically abusing Reeva ??... otherwise, we can't infer it... let us not forget proving motive is not necessary.

An argument about "who cares" between boyfriend and girlfriend escalated and boyfriend shot and killed girlfriend... the only way we could know anything about said argument is from the 2 people involved... but one is dead and the other stands accused of murder.

3/4. I don't know the statistics but in my experience fights tend to occur at closing time rather than when the pub opens. Not that I'd deliberately spill a man's pint to prove the point but it makes sense to me that loss of control followed by murder is much more likely if there is drink involved.

IIRC there was no evidence that OP was under the influence of anything. If the police had noticed anything in his behaviour in this regard then I'm sure they would have spoken up.

Why are you mentioning pubs ??... how is that relevant ?

Many millions of individuals intoxicate themselves to various degrees with alcool and/or drugs every day... BUT only a extremely small fraction of them act violently.

A few billion individuals do not intoxicate themselves... AND an extremely small fraction of them still act violently : road rage, spousal/child abuse, bullies, rape victims, etc. etc.

The whole drug/alcool argument or lack there of is specious.

Had OP drank a few beers, would that have made him more likely to have killed and more likely to be found guilty of murder... NO

Had Reeva drank a few beers, would that have made OP more likely to have killed her and more likely to be found guilty of her murder... NO

It seems to me that it is about the weight of evidence rather than a hard and fast rule. Of course he could have become angry and then murdered her without being under the influence but it is less likely. This makes it more difficult for the prosecution to say "this is how it happened and it could not have reasonably happened any other way"

BiB... that is not only an inadmissible inference but an incorrect one at that... some are mean drunks others are mellow drunks... alcohol does NOT equate to violent behaviour.

I think Botha said that the alcohol/drug test results were lost?

Do you think that a friend of the family was able to make the test results disappear?

In the sense of:
“From our view, South Africa hasn't had that many heroes to be proud of since Nelson Mandela. We're kind of desperate to hold onto every hero,” says Max du Preez, who founded and edited Vrye Weekblad, an anti-apartheid newspaper that uncovered death squads.

.... yes, I think OP got help, perhaps by the influential high ranking PO (collegue and friend of Micki P.) who was at the crime scene in the night of murder to support OP.

No way I mean Botha as a "supporter". Botha was certainly forced into a very pitiable role, IMO.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Afri...ove-a-never-ending-soap-opera-in-South-Africa

....there may have been other reasons than an argument, since the very beginning i have suspected OP of photographing RS without her knowledge...

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/se...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Serial killer accused's Oscar comparison falls flat

Ntsieni has pleaded not guilty.

In his bail application, Ntsieni's legal team tried to use Oscar Pistorius as an example, saying that even a schedule six offence suspect deserved bail.

Pistorius, the disgraced Paralympian, shot and killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria on Valentine's Day 2013.

Reeva was screaming her head off at 3AM in a quiet rural upscale estate... Neighbours were calling security...

OP realized that if Reeva kept screaming, security/police would eventually be knocking at his front door and they would want an explanation for the disturbance from both parties (OP and Reeva)... at which time Reeva would most certainly lodge a formal complaint (let us not forget she was a victim of domestic abuse from a previous boyfriend AND she was a guest speaker at a high school that very morning on that very subject)

Therefore OP had an escalating imperative to silence Reeva... but the more he got angry at her because she would not stop screaming, the more she got terrified of him and what he might do to her and the more she screamed... this escalation spiralled out of control until OP lost it and shot her.

When your pay check comes from your public image you are very much aware of the impact a domestic violence complaint from Reeva would have on your career : media frenzy and loss of sponsors.

I just don't think that is how someone would behave and it doesn't fit the evidence. The loud screaming would not have started until Reeva was already locked in the toilet because Mrs Stipp heard nothing before the first bangs. With Reeva behind the closed door OP could have easily stopped Reeva screaming by stopping his attack. If she was screaming in the toilet he would not have hit the door with a bat in order to silence her. It's totally different to a situation where they are face to face.

IMO it is absurd to think that OP was thinking about his reputation and livelihood and think that murder was a better solution than ditching Reeva and using the family PR machine to cover it up.

Much convincing evidence was led about OP's very short fuse and reckless/confrontational attitude towards others.

I don't know what kind of evidence you expect to obtain in such a case ?... a long documented and corroborated history of OP physically abusing Reeva ??... otherwise, we can't infer it... let us not forget proving motive is not necessary.

Yes, a history of abuse against persons would be necessary when there is just circumstantial evidence as in this case. There are many many many young men with reckless/confrontational attitudes - a miniscule number go on to murder.

An argument about "who cares" between boyfriend and girlfriend escalated and boyfriend shot and killed girlfriend... the only way we could know anything about said argument is from the 2 people involved... but one is dead and the other stands accused of murder.

The frustration of the prosecution's lack of good evidence unfortunately only increases their burden. They don't get a free ride just because the accused has to be found guilty.

Why are you mentioning pubs ??... how is that relevant ?

Many millions of individuals intoxicate themselves to various degrees with alcool and/or drugs every day... BUT only a extremely small fraction of them act violently.

A few billion individuals do not intoxicate themselves... AND an extremely small fraction of them still act violently : road rage, spousal/child abuse, bullies, rape victims, etc. etc.

The whole drug/alcool argument or lack there of is specious.

Had OP drank a few beers, would that have made him more likely to have killed and more likely to be found guilty of murder... NO

Had Reeva drank a few beers, would that have made OP more likely to have killed her and more likely to be found guilty of her murder... NO

I don't think alcohol was involved I was responding to a previous point.

BiB... that is not only an inadmissible inference but an incorrect one at that... some are mean drunks others are mellow drunks... alcohol does NOT equate to violent behaviour.

The fact remains that alcohol and violence are connected. Of course one does not automatically mean the other but statistically if alcohol is involved then violence is more likely.

BIB replies

BIB replies

It's one thing to speculate to connect the dots (i.e. infer possible scenarios to connect the evidence) but it's another to state outright that someone would not behave in a specific manner or would behave in a specific manner.

e.g.

"I just don't think that is how someone would behave"

"OP could have easily stopped Reeva screaming by stopping his attack"

"he would not have hit the door with a bat in order to silence her"

"it is absurd to think that OP was thinking about his reputation and livelihood and think that murder was a better solution than ditching Reeva"

Let us not forget OP was instantaneously concerned about his reputation and livelihood after he discharged the firearm in Tasha's restaurant, begging for someone else to take responsibility for his action.

Common sense : if we picture a quiet rural upscale private estate at 3AM... it is reasonable to infer :

- that escalating screams of a woman would most certainly attract attention from the neighbours (which they did)...

- that neighbours would call security and police (which they did)...

- that security/police would locate and investigate the house where the screams emanated (which they did)...

- that this domestic situation would be quite embarrassing for the homeowner/perpetrator

... when you factor in the media attention this incident would most definitely generate in OP's case, it is quite reasonable to infer that OP would desperately want Reeva to stop screaming at all cost.

Furthermore, I believe hindsight reasoning is not at all suited to this kind of situation... people act on impulse and instinct rather than on measured rational thinking in an emotionally charged and dynamic situation... OP never though that shooting or killing Reeva was a better solution it just unfolded that way.

As for the whole alcohol argument...

You stated : "There are many many many young men with reckless/confrontational attitudes - a miniscule number go on to murder."

but as I stated, there are many many many young men that intoxicate themselves - a miniscule number go on to murder.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander !!... You can't have it both ways

If reckless/confrontational attitudes is not a reinforcing argument to infer a high probability of violent behaviour then the absence of intoxication cannot be a reinforcing argument to infer a low probability of murder.

Nevertheless, the whole argument is specious... had OP been drunk, he would have used his intoxication to bolster his mistaken identity intruder version of events.

It's one thing to speculate to connect the dots (i.e. infer possible scenarios to connect the evidence) but it's another to state outright that someone would not behave in a specific manner or would behave in a specific manner.

e.g.

"it is absurd to think that OP was thinking about his reputation and livelihood and think that murder was a better solution than ditching Reeva"

Let us not forget OP was instantaneously concerned about his reputation and livelihood after he discharged the firearm in Tasha's restaurant, begging for someone else to take responsibility for his action.

Common sense : if we picture a quiet rural upscale private estate at 3AM... it is reasonable to infer :

- that escalating screams of a woman would most certainly attract attention from the neighbours (which they did)...

- that security/police would locate and investigate the house where the screams emanated (which they did)...

- that this domestic situation would be quite embarrassing for the homeowner/perpetrator

... when you factor in the media attention this incident would most definitely generate in OP's case, it is quite reasonable to infer that OP would desperately want Reeva to stop screaming at all cost.

Furthermore, I believe hindsight reasoning is not at all suited to this kind of situation... people act on impulse and instinct rather than on measured rational thinking in an emotionally charged and dynamic situation... OP never though that shooting or killing Reeva was a better solution it just unfolded that way.

You stated : "There are many many many young men with reckless/confrontational attitudes - a miniscule number go on to murder."

but as I stated, there are many many many young men that intoxicate themselves - a miniscule number go on to murder.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander !!... You can't have it both ways

If reckless/confrontational attitudes is not a reinforcing argument to infer a high probability of violent behaviour then the absence of intoxication cannot be a reinforcing argument to infer a low probability of murder.

Nevertheless, the whole argument is specious... had OP been drunk, he would have used his intoxication to bolster his mistaken identity intruder version of events.

bbm red= because of damage to his Hero image and sponsering, I think: no, he wouldn't have used and he wasn't allowed to use (also thinking of the boat accident with "no intoxication", but several alcohol bottles on board - and so on).

bbm red= because of damage to his Hero image and sponsering, I think: no, he wouldn't have used and he wasn't allowed to use (also thinking of the boat accident with "no intoxication", but several alcohol bottles on board - and so on).

What I was trying to say is :

A. Had OP been found to be intoxicated (lab test results) on the night he shot and killed Reeva he would have used that fact to add credence to his mistaken identity story... i.e. it was pitch dark, it was noisy because of the fans, I was facing away from the bed and I was intoxicated... as we all know alcohol intoxication will alter perceptions and "normal" behaviour... therefore being drunk would have helped OP's defence.

B. Whereas Judge Knott in his article used the fact that OP was not intoxicated as evidence (or a strong indication) that OP would/could not have shot and killed Reeva as a result of anger.

Ergo, one can (misleadingly) use both, intoxication or lack there of, to argue against the murder charge... which means the consumption of alcohol argument is ineffectual and pointless.

As for the "Hero image and sponsoring"... it is insignificant in the context of Reeva's death at the hands of OP and a murder Trial... the sponsors dropped OP because he shot and killed Reeva and was charged with murder... same goes for his image... had OP been intoxicated, it would not have changed anything with sponsors or his image.

As for the "he wouldn't have used and he wasn't allowed to use", OP's training regimen and diet prohibited the consumption of alcohol... which means the only consequence for OP if he did decide to "cheat" and consume alcohol would be reprimands by an unhappy coach if he found out.

e.g.

I agree about the speculation but the facts are that no screaming was heard by Mrs Stipp until after the first bangs. This does not fit in with OP trying to silence Reeva's screams since she was not screaming until she was supposedly already locked in the toilet.

What I was trying to say is :

A. Had OP been found to be intoxicated (lab test results) on the night he shot and killed Reeva he would have used that fact to add credence to his mistaken identity story... i.e. it was pitch dark, it was noisy because of the fans, I was facing away from the bed and I was intoxicated... as we all know alcohol intoxication will alter perceptions and "normal" behaviour... therefore being drunk would have helped OP's defence.

B. Whereas Judge Knott in his article used the fact that OP was not intoxicated as evidence (or a strong indication) that OP would/could not have shot and killed Reeva as a result of anger.

Ergo, one can (misleadingly) use both, intoxication or lack there of, to argue against the murder charge... which means the consumption of alcohol argument is ineffectual and pointless.

As for the "Hero image and sponsoring"... it is insignificant in the context of Reeva's death at the hands of OP and a murder Trial... the sponsors dropped OP because he shot and killed Reeva and was charged with murder... same goes for his image... had OP been intoxicated, it would not have changed anything with sponsors or his image.

As for the "he wouldn't have used and he wasn't allowed to use", OP's training regimen and diet prohibited the consumption of alcohol... which means the only consequence for OP if he did decide to "cheat" and consume alcohol would be reprimands by an unhappy coach if he found out.

I was trying to say the following :)

There have been several incidents in OP's life, where he probably was very drunk, it had always been covered up (because of his status as a Hero, Medalist and sponsored Sport Star). If he had called beeing severely drunk as an apology or explanation for a murderous "overreaction", would one not subsequently call into question all other critical incidents and his alleged "soberness"? Had there not been possibly a wave of demands for clarification of old accidents? Had it not possibly hurt his image much more? Would he have to repay a lot of sponsor money? - Therefore I think, he could not use that excuse. Only my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1