Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doggone, That's probably a pretty good prediction.

Can I borrow one of your frustrated guys? :gaah: I think I may need him Monday. It's sounding like it will be a long day. Ugh.

:seeya: Hi Gin !

Yep ... Monday is going to be a long, longgggggggggg day :gaah:

:gaah: is going to get a real work-out Monday !

No telling what kind of :drama: the :dramaqueen: will come up with !

And no telling how long we will be :waiting: around ...

No doubt, there will be :judge: and :judge: and more :judge: . . .

:gaah:

As a reference, Marissa DeVault's sentencing hearing took approximately 55 minutes. It began with the State making an oral motion for aggravators to be heard, which was denied. Nine persons made statements to the court, some on behalf of DeVault and others on behalf of the victim. DeVault appeared in stripes and made a tearful statement to the judge.

The judge had a few choice words for DeVault when he sentenced her to natural life. http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/judge-speaks-out-at-marissa-devault-sentencing

Minutes of the hearing also reflect that the State announced restitution was being sought and the judge ordered the State to submit a written motion.

I think it would be foolish of Arias not to address the court, yet she does not make wise decisions. My gut says she will not speak- in her mind, I think she will stick to her new mantra of being afraid to speak out in court, plus I don't think she wants to give the Alexander family the satisfaction of her "groveling" to the judge or them. Having said that, don't be surprised if she publishes a letter to her supporters on her blog after she is sentenced.

JM mentioned the Cat in one of the tapes during a hearing in the retrial case, sorry I don't know which hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might have been the hearing about McGee and affidavits coming in. JM said something like "it will open the door" for evidence of what she did to her cat then he says what she did to it. . JW said there is no evidence of ja hurting a cat and JM said I have evidence.

Those are not exact words, but similar.

It might be the hearing where The def withdrew MM from the witness list. I watched all the tapes except Fon and Bishop Parker.

I actually believe JSS will sentence her to LWOP. I don't think CMJA is her pet at all. I just don't see it going any other way. Do you really believe that JSS would sentence her to LWP? When 11-1 wanted to give her a death sentence and JSS has had to put up with all CMJA crap?
Zuri, I sure do. Since when did JSS care about what we the people wanted? The jury's part of "we, the people". I believe she will try to find any way to sentence JA to several years with possibility of release.

I thought this sentencing hearing would be brief; I hope JSS doesn't allow it to become another allocution/mitigation hearing...........

:seeya:

Considering how JSS has run her courtroom in the past, and HOW LONG it has taken to get JA sentenced since she was found GUILTY ...

I think it will be just another day at the

th

:gaah:

link: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...14DA05CFDD3E0C81876F4C0508CE&selectedIndex=15

It might have been the hearing about McGee and affidavits coming in. JM said something like "it will open the door" for evidence of what she did to her cat then he says what she did to it. . JW said there is no evidence of ja hurting a cat and JM said I have evidence. Those are not exact words, but similar.

It might be the hearing where The def withdrew MM from the witness list. I watched all the tapes except Fon and Bishop Parker.

It's in ZoeyW's post above...#727. JW said it wasn't in the record and JM said it's in his record. lol

I thought this sentencing hearing would be brief; I hope JSS doesn't allow it to become another allocution/mitigation
hearing...........

That's exactly what I was thinking-but knowing CMJA and her crew it could end up taking all day. So ridiculous.

Count me as another who doesn't understand why any witnesses would need to speak on behalf of The Queen at her sentencing. For one thing, Sherry has proven time after time she takes forever to make a decision on ANYthing. So, what... is she now supposed to listen to several witnesses plea for LWP for JA and "take that under advisement" and make her decision in two weeks? Of course not. Her sentence for JA has already been made. Nothing any witness has to say now is going to change that.

I really hope Sherry lowers the boom on JA on sentencing day, but because she has no backbone I expect she will merely give her a calm, motherly explanation instead.

I really hope JA will be in stripes and shackles on sentencing day, but I expect she will be dressed in her usual rumpled street attire instead.

After a quick wardrobe change, JA will leave for Perryville will all the emotion of a personal timeout.

Can't wait for her 48 Hours and Inside Edition follow-up specials to hear how she was wronged all the way through the justice system.

I thought this sentencing hearing would be brief; I hope JSS doesn't allow it to become another allocution/mitigation
hearing...........

Good grief, look at how long this whole circus has taken to this point. If the DT decides to put on a guilt phase retrial, how far will JSS allow them to go?

Continued mockery of justice presented by Jodi Arias & Company... I won't be surprised by her attempting it and JSS allowing it.

It's in ZoeyW's post above...#727. JW said it wasn't in the record and JM said it's in his record. lol

So was she an adult when she did this? I can imagine a kid maybe - a very young, Addams Family type kid - but an adult? If so, she is even sicker and nastier than I thought.

I agree that she won't want to have to 'grovel' for a lesser sentence. IMO that is half the reason she didn't allocute recently - she didn't want to be in the position of saying sorry or seeming to be begging for mercy. That way she could, in her mind at least, hold her head up high and give no-one the satisfaction of seeing her humbled. For that reason alone I very much hope she's striped and shackled on sentencing day.

I wonder if any of her psych witness supporters will speak on her behalf? It would be incredibly insensitive to the Alexanders, but it didn't seem to bother them while testifying. LaViolette, anyone?

Hi FelicityLemon, I can't figure out what difference it would make for anyone to speak for the murderer. I feel like I'm missing something, maybe something legal, something that is always done at the sentencing phase???? Who really cares what lies anyone has to say about the murderer? And what lies are left to be told? I just hope nothing delays this judge from doing right by Travis and Travis' family.

Here's hoping the move to PV triggers early menopause for CMJA............hot flashes in that Arizona heat. :hot::hot::hot: :anguish::anguish::anguish: I can only wish, lol!!!

I now have the song "The Final Countdown" playing over and over in my head. Suddenly the lyrics have taken on a whole new meaning. :gaah:

Count me as another who doesn't understand why any witnesses would need to speak on behalf of The Queen at her sentencing. For one thing, Sherry has proven time after time she takes forever to make a decision on ANYthing. So, what... is she now supposed to listen to several witnesses plea for LWP for JA and "take that under advisement" and make her decision in two weeks? Of course not. Her sentence for JA has already been made. Nothing any witness has to say now is going to change that.

I really hope Sherry lowers the boom on JA on sentencing day, but because she has no backbone I expect she will merely give her a calm, motherly explanation instead.

I really hope JA will be in stripes and shackles on sentencing day, but I expect she will be dressed in her usual rumpled street attire instead.

After a quick wardrobe change, JA will leave for Perryville will all the emotion of a personal timeout.

Can't wait for her 48 Hours and Inside Edition follow-up specials to hear how she was wronged all the way through the justice system.

The judge was ready to sentence her immediately after the deadlock was announced. It was Nurmi who asked for more time, and it is the defendant's right to do so, up to 30 days.

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorCourt/CriminalDepartment/caseProcedures.asp

Doggone, I just have to tell you how much entertainment you've given my granddaughter during this trial.

When I'm watching her, a lot of time she's sitting in my lap as I'm scrolling through posts. She is absolutely DELIGHTED! when we come upon one of your posts with all the animated stuff. We have laughed together as I taught her to fake laugh "hahaha" to:lol: (it's hysterical!); say "eek!" to :gaah:; and she waves to the computer when you offer a simple :seeya:.

I might be missing a few, but I just wanted you to know that a little person has been highly amused by your posts. Plus, you've helped build some basic language skills.

So from my granddaughter and myself, :loveyou:.

My four year old is amused by them, as well. The baby, on the other hand, is usually nursing when I scrolling through posts.

Zuri, I sure do. Since when did JSS care about what we the people wanted? The jury's part of "we, the people". I believe she will try to find any way to sentence JA to several years with possibility of release.

Hey Curious, my hubby agrees with you, 100%. I really really hope you two are wrong!

Hi FelicityLemon, I can't figure out what difference it would make for anyone to speak for the murderer. I feel like I'm missing something, maybe something legal, something that is always done at the sentencing phase???? Who really cares what lies anyone has to say about the murderer? And what lies are left to be told? I just hope nothing delays this judge from doing right by Travis and Travis' family.

It's fairly typical for family or a very close friend (if no family available) to get on the stand at sentencing and say nice things about killers. Mothers, fathers, sisters, spouses...or maybe an aunt or a teacher/mentor from days gone by...they try to convince the court that the killer has redeeming qualities or, sans that, that others in society will be hurt by the killer getting a severe sentence. Usually this is done during a penalty phase though, to convince the jury not to vote for death, so in a situation like now I am not sure who would be allowed to speak and what they might be allowed to say. I could say what might happen in court where I live but that may vary significantly from what goes on in courts elsewhere, probably because we don't have a penalty phase in my state.

I wonder if any of her psych witness supporters will speak on her behalf? It would be incredibly insensitive to the Alexanders, but it didn't seem to bother them while testifying. LaViolette, anyone?

How about Samuels, Gus, both MM's?

Most murder trials are over and done in a week, maybe two. The judge may have had limited contact with the defendant.

Not so in this case. Arias has had more ex parte hearings with the judge than I care to remember. JSS must have a very clear opinion of CMJA by now, and it is difficult to imagine anyone else's words swaying her.

It would be kinda funny to have the judge tell CMJA or anyone trying to speak on her behalf to just sit down and shut up.
:silenced:

How about Samuels, Gus, both MM's?

Maybe BE will get on the stand and sing the killer's praises, then get on one knee and propose marriage. Then JSS will marry them and all will be well with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela