Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and I just walked outside with a cold Heineken in my hand. Barefoot. Earth beneath my feet on this Earth Day. Another thing the inmate will never do. If I'm not careful, Jodi Arias is going to be credited for me enjoying my life more!

I first knew about this case through watching the first 48 Hours Interview. Like you, I knew very little when listening to her testimony during the first trial. I knew nothing at all about Travis Alexander beyond a few articles on the overall case. From that position I found the sex tape to be shocking. Not because of the pitiful phone sex but because of how Travis sounded. Quite frankly, he didn't come across as a nice guy. He sounded bored, judgemental and (like Arias) hypocritical. I am not embarrassed at feeling that way - nor should you be - as this was exactly how Arias had edited and constructed it all to sound. She wanted Travis at his worst and posed and repeated questions to highlight how 'nice' she was. It all failed spectacularly as much of what she said in that tape contradicted her later posturing as an exploited victim. Add her days of indulgent whining and screamingly obvious lies and her defence deteriorated rapidly.

Arias' arrogance and smug cruelty was highlighted on day one of Juan's cross. She blew Nurmi's efforts out of the water within minutes of the brilliant Martinez questioning her. She is a monster. An evil, manipulative, smug, calculating excuse for a human being. No one summed her up better than Travis. Juan and the family and friends of Travis painted a picture of a caring, sweet, hard working man. Like us all, he had flaws. Like you, I am in awe of Juan Martinez. What a champion for justice.

This is from yesterday but I didn't get a chance to read here so I'm just going back and reading.

I found it HILARIOUS when her mom Sandy was outside the courthouse on sentencing day saying that "all Jodi's ever done is tried to help people." Barf. "Like if there was a kid at school being picked on, she would try to help." No, I don't believe Jodi ever did anything selflessly for someone else in her whole entire life. Do I believe she sometimes did nice things for other people? Yes, I do. But ONLY BECAUSE SHE WAS GETTING OR WANTED SOMETHING IN RETURN. That is how these types work - they always have an agenda and they are always looking out for themselves first.

She was nice to Darryl, so he says. Why? He provided her a house and stable life. On her trip to murder Travis, she only "stopped by" in her own interest to borrow the gas cans and possibly get rid of the DVD player or whatever it was.

She might have been nice to her sister at times. She needed her sister for covering for her with Mom and Dad. I can also imagine she probably needed to "borrow" money from her at times.

I think that NOW she is being nice to her mom, for obvious reasons. First, to help keep her off Death Row (even if she didn't actually get put to death, I think it was the thought of solitary confinement and a lot of restrictions that terrified her). Second, she needs her Mom to run her fraudulent activities for her to get prison money for her. And to keep her sympathizers active for $$$ reasons.

The mom I think, maybe was always just a not-so-nice person. Or maybe she is actually buying the prisoner's act that she loves her mom so much now, maybe she is just so happy her daughter is showing some "love" for her that she deludes herself. Who knows.

Oh and poor Travis, she was "nice" to him in the beginning because he was her ticket out of the boring life she was destined to have. Like Darryl, he could give her a house, a stable life, comfortable living. On top of that, travelling and other cultural things she could have never dreamed of without him.

and I just walked outside with a cold Heineken in my hand. Barefoot. Earth beneath my feet on this Earth Day. Another thing the inmate will never do. If I'm not careful, Jodi Arias is going to be credited for me enjoying my life more!

ahhh, sounds wonderful. I had a friend who went on vacation to Ireland, when he came back he showed us the pictures and in every picture was a cold glass of Guinness in front of him. Ever since I saw that, I've always wanted to try that beer but never have. Actually, I just wanna go to Ireland and enjoy it there!

She's wearing a used T shirt. There will be many more of these to come while on Restrictive Housing, since she's not allowed to buy her own, evidently. She will exchange dirty for clean at shower time. Also at shower time she will be shackled.

She deserves it, IMO

I agree with dog.gone.cute in principal. I don't think JSS had to be "told" to give LWOP, but d.g.c is absolutely correct that it was like night and day when it came time for JSS to rule on the sentence. Her speech was tight and concise and contained zero fluff or delay. It got right to the point and told exactly what happened in summary form. I really think the jury could have/should have taken no more than 15 minutes of deliberating to come up with a verdict (any verdict). It wasn't that tough. List aggravators and mitigators. Discuss. Which one is more significant. Done. That's what JSS did in the last moments, but a far far cry from how she behaved the whole rest of both trials.

There was a link posted here a few days ago to Trial Divas interview with the Jury Foreman. He talked about J17. He said she kept saying, paraphrasing, but I think these mitigators apply to Jodi. That makes me think that maybe she didn't realize that the Mitigators actually had to outweigh the Aggravators. I don't know. I just think since they had J17, that's why the deliberations were so hard.

I think with the first jury, IMO, it was because they had a lot of older people for whom it was probably harder to put such a young person to Death. And also the Jury Foreman who we all know what he was like.

Seems like she'd be more despised for her pretentiousness. They do have Mexican gangs there.

But the problem is that she is going to have more $$$ in her prison account with which to do her bargaining with in order to win favor with the tough ones. That is what worries me, that she will be a Leader in the prison because of this.

It is really interesting to hear the different opinions re her mug shot at PV. Like everyone, I have tried to "read" her reactions, especially at critical times. Just for interest, I have listed my personal impressions. It would be interesting to hear your interpretations of her reactions per the photos and video.

Mug shot on arrest.
-Either confidence that could she lie her way out of it, or pure denial of the reality that she got caught.

First trial--guilty of first-degree murder and eligible for the DP.
-Shock and fear.

Second trial--hung jury
Absolutely no reaction, as if she already knew this--as did her DT.

Sentencing of LWOP by JSS.
-Crushed that JSS wasn't manipulated by her, which was her only hope.

Mug shot at Perryville.
-Reality had set in. I also suspect that the snowflake might have been treated like the evil killer she is by the guards transporting her, and by the reception personnel at PV.

This is from yesterday but I didn't get a chance to read here so I'm just going back and reading.

I found it HILARIOUS when her mom Sandy was outside the courthouse on sentencing day saying that "all Jodi's ever done is tried to help people." Barf. "Like if there was a kid at school being picked on, she would try to help." No, I don't believe Jodi ever did anything selflessly for someone else in her whole entire life. Do I believe she sometimes did nice things for other people? Yes, I do. But ONLY BECAUSE SHE WAS GETTING OR WANTED SOMETHING IN RETURN. That is how these types work - they always have an agenda and they are always looking out for themselves first.

She was nice to Darryl, so he says. Why? He provided her a house and stable life. On her trip to murder Travis, she only "stopped by" in her own interest to borrow the gas cans and possibly get rid of the DVD player or whatever it was.

She might have been nice to her sister at times. She needed her sister for covering for her with Mom and Dad. I can also imagine she probably needed to "borrow" money from her at times.

I think that NOW she is being nice to her mom, for obvious reasons. First, to help keep her off Death Row (even if she didn't actually get put to death, I think it was the thought of solitary confinement and a lot of restrictions that terrified her). Second, she needs her Mom to run her fraudulent activities for her to get prison money for her. And to keep her sympathizers active for $$$ reasons.

The mom I think, maybe was always just a not-so-nice person. Or maybe she is actually buying the prisoner's act that she loves her mom so much now, maybe she is just so happy her daughter is showing some "love" for her that she deludes herself. Who knows.

Oh and poor Travis, she was "nice" to him in the beginning because he was her ticket out of the boring life she was destined to have. Like Darryl, he could give her a house, a stable life, comfortable living. On top of that, travelling and other cultural things she could have never dreamed of without him.

Regarding Jodi's mom, here's a new video by SprayCanAnn which clearly shows lying behavior. (apple/tree)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qplv1oLJPFg

Regarding Darryl, I find it fascinating that, yes, as Jodi has stated, she has other ex-boyfriends, and they're all still alive and on friendly terms with her.

But why?

She totally ruined Darryl's life; destroying his credit and leaving him homeless. I think she was also instrumental in him losing his job at Ventana. And yet, he welcomed her with open arms that fateful morning?

Matt M. might talk a good game about Jodi being a nice person, but who wouldn't get freaked out when a crazy ex-girlfriend drives 100s of miles to confront their new (sane) girlfriend? His complicity regarding the magazine messages? It might have seemed like the lesser of two bad options.

Bobby? Conspicuous in his absence throughout both trials.

My take-away is that she scared these guys to their core. Each one in his own way sought to distance himself from her so as not to draw out her ire and thus feel her wrath. In DoD terms, it's called appeasing the terrorists. Make nice with them and let's just hope they move on.

I do hope that someday we will hear the truth from these bit players. I have a feeling they know more than they feel comfortable admitting at this time, but perhaps in the near future, they'll open up and reveal her secrets.

Ty
It is really interesting to hear the different opinions re her mug shot at PV. Like everyone, I have tried to "read" her reactions, especially at critical times. Just for interest, I have listed my personal impressions. It would be interesting to hear your interpretations of her reactions per the photos and video.

Mug shot on arrest.
-Either confidence that could she lie her way out of it, or pure denial of the reality that she got caught.

First trial--guilty of first-degree murder and eligible for the DP.
-Shock and fear.

Second trial--hung jury
Absolutely no reaction, as if she already knew this--as did her DT.

Sentencing of LWOP by JSS.
-Crushed that JSS wasn't manipulated by her, which was her only hope.

Mug shot at Perryville.
-Reality had set in. I also suspect that the snowflake might have been treated like the evil killer she is by the guards transporting her, and by the reception personnel at PV.

I agree with everyone.

The rules for Restrictive specifically mention mental scores of over 3 as a reason for Restrictive Housing, but I think those w/ really severe issues that require constant monitoring (suicide, danger to others, etc.) go to the psychiatric unit. Restrictive may be for temporary watches or issues that don't rise to the level of needing psychiatric commitment. I haven't been able to find definitions for the mental health scoring levels, so just guessing.

Gen'l population is generally described as non-isolation. Max is maximum security, but not complete isolation, since outside their own cells they can mingle with others depending upon what step level they've earned. So there is a gen'l pop group within Max.

What I find really interesting is that this prison uses concerted behavioural modification to shape prisoners. So delicious to know when it comes to the likes of 281129. I had no idea! It's not chaotic as I imagined. Thanks LinTx for this new and vital information. It's so satisfying to know, too. The management of prisoners seems to have been really thought out. I think 281129 is going to have a rough ride with all the nuances.

State VS. JA fb has a former inmate of Perryville answering questions and gives a good rundown of what the murderess will go through. She does it through comments section mostly. Her name is Maggie K. I love where she talks about the 6'8" female guard.

Is there a link for this?

She's wearing a used T shirt. There will be many more of these to come while on Restrictive Housing, since she's not allowed to buy her own, evidently. She will exchange dirty for clean at shower time. Also at shower time she will be shackled.

Imagine being naked and shackled.

Regarding Jodi's mom, here's a new video by SprayCanAnn which clearly shows lying behavior. (apple/tree)

Regarding Darryl, I find it fascinating that, yes, as Jodi has stated, she has other ex-boyfriends, and they're all still alive and on friendly terms with her.

But why?

She totally ruined Darryl's life; destroying his credit and leaving him homeless. I think she was also instrumental in him losing his job at Ventana. And yet, he welcomed her with open arms that fateful morning?

Matt M. might talk a good game about Jodi being a nice person, but who wouldn't get freaked out when a crazy ex-girlfriend drives 100s of miles to confront their new (sane) girlfriend? His complicity regarding the magazine messages? It might have seemed like the lesser of two bad options.

My take-away is that she scared these guys to their core. Each one in his own way sought to distance himself from her so as not to draw out her ire and thus feel her wrath. In DoD terms, it's called appeasing the terrorists. Make nice with them and let's just hope they move on.

I do hope that someday we will hear the truth from these bit players. I have a feeling they know more than they feel comfortable admitting at this time, but perhaps in the near future, they'll open up and reveal her secrets.

I read somewhere that he may be writing a book???????

Re: JA being nice to people to get what she wants:

I find it interesting that when I had a look at her myspace page a couple years ago, it listed Atlas Shrugged as one of her favorite books. Now, that may have been another copying of Travis' or someone else's faves, but the essence of that book is that you do whatever is in your own self interest and assume everyone else is too. So, basically look out for number 1, and let others fend for themselves. Buyer beware, etc. IOW, be nice to people if it gets you what you want, not bc you're a good person.

she will be incubated all right if they run the heaters in the summer like the article says.

I did not read that heaters are run in the summer. They use swamp coolers in the summer. Some cell areas have AC but articles have claimed that doesn't always work.

What the article said was heat is on during the winter and stays on all winter, even on warmer days. Apparently once the system is turned on it stays on for the season and guards do not have the authority to turn it off, up or down. The article talking of warmer days gave the impression it was summer but in AZ, winter can have some really warm days.

That article speaks of all kinds of horrors and I have no doubt some are true. We do know that a person was left out in the sun unattended and died from complications of that. That is a torture that should not be allowed even if it was not intentional and was a one-time occurrence. It is something that should not happen, ever, and protocols should be in place to ensure that it doesn't. For all we know, protocols have been in place since the incident. Just because the author did not report it doesn't mean changes weren't made after that horrible incident.

I do not condone torture and inhumane treatment even for those who themselves have tortured and treated others inhumanely. But folks, it's prison. It's punishment. It's not a stay at a resort.

I expect prison to be horrible, but if black mold really is growing on cell walls it needs to be eradicated because some black molds are health hazards for staff as well as inmates. There also needs to be some sort of alarm system in place to signal when an inmate is to be brought in from their stay out in the sun and the alarm needs to be checked routinely to be sure it is in working order. On days when it is 115 degrees and climbing, inmates' time out in the sun should be canceled. Or, let them out in the early morning or at dusk rather than midday on such days.

That's just my two cents to keep everyone safe and secure while they do the time for their crime. It's not a country club and their stay should not be at all comfortable, but the place should not be in such disrepair that it is no more than a hellhole.

But why?

Awesome youtube video! Short, simple, true.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982958927/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slumber Party from Hell by Sue Ellen Allen. A great read. At one point, I'd offered to purchase a copy for those that could not afford one. I set the limit at 5. Only 2 people took me up on the offer. If there is anyone out there curious about life at Perryville, but just can't justify the cost of the book, I'll cover it for you. Three spots left. It is a heartening read for a JA UNsupporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove