Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression of Judge Stephens is that she is very "nice" and even tempered. She comes across to me as the type of person that would never spank her children, regardless of how badly they misbehaved.

Nice and even tempered doesn't cut it when dealing with a defense team as sneaky and slimy as this one.

The wrong judge, with the wrong temperament, was assigned to this case from the git-go.
Nice and even-tempered are qualities admirable in anyone, judges included, and I don't think those qualities alone should disqualify JSS to her position. The fact she has shown poor judgment in matters of law again and again in this trial are issues worth taking a closer look at, and should apply directly to her ability to hold her position with the integrity and reliability it requires.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ex-husband-prosecuted-juan-martinez/24532359/

It's not clear if she realized Martinez prosecuted her ex-husband. And if she did, why she didn't disclose it.

In a statement, Maricopa County Attorney spokesman Jerry Cobb said:

"We are aware of these issues and are looking into them. Beyond that we are not commenting further at the moment."
During a news conference Thursday after the mistrial was declared in the Arias penalty phase, Juan Martinez said, "Sometimes the outcome is what you hope. Other times it's what the system provides you so you accept it and you move on."

When it comes to a motion for a new trial, Arizona Revised Statutes, Rules of Criminal Procedure specifically states:

"To impeach the verdict whenever the validity is challenged the court may receive the testimony or affidavit of any witness, including members of the jury, which relates to the conduct of a juror, official of the court, or third person. No testimony or affidavit shall be received which inquires into the subjective motives or mental processes which led a juror to assent or dissent from the verdict."

PPP
I'm glad you asked this. I want to know why she has the right to delay her sentencing.

:seeya: I think it was Nurmi who requested the delay, but sorry, I don't remember the reason ... but I am certain someone here will know:)

JMO and you can mark my words ... lol :

JSS will delay the April 13 Sentencing date.

JA and her DT will come up with some BS excuse for a delay and I have no doubt that JSS will grant the request.

:gaah:

Sounds like character assassination of the juror.

Not from where I sit. And certainly not like the character assassination, mercilessly trashed, slaughtered VICTIM, Travis Alexander. Remember him?

Have been a lurker here since the sentencing retrial. Joined after the recent news of the hung jury.

After having a couple of days to cool down, I now think this is the best case scenario. The fact that 11 of the 12 jurors were not fooled speaks volumes—to TA's family/supporters as well as JA/DT. Juror # 17, no matter what her story is, prevented an automatic appeal (if not many others) as a result of not voting the DP. TA's family won't have to live in that heightened state of hell. I know they want JA off this planet (which I completely understand), but they need to heal and it will never happen in that courtroom.

I believe JSS gave the DT leeway, not as a courtesy to the JA/DT, but to avoid appealable issues if JA had gotten "death." And imagine if JSS had stopped the deliberations to investigate the lone jury for "life." The DT would have pitched such a fit that there would have been a mistrial declared, then and there. The current uproar would pale in comparison to that scenario. I do think the DT dragged this out as long as they could in the hopes that the number of the jury would be whittled down to where there wouldn't be much of one left and if the trial lasted this long, it ups the chances for a mistrial in general.

I also wonder if the death penalty option were replaced by "Life in Solitary Confinement (i.e. confined 23/24 hours) if the number of hung juries would drop dramatically as well as the appeals. Imagine the life of a defense attorney.... "Jury, can you confine this woman to a tiny cell with little sunlight and human interaction for the rest of her days?" Jury thought, "Why yes, yes we can."

Lastly, my heart goes out the Alexander family. They're the ones who have been in hell and I hope they can find peace…. far, far away from Maricopa County.

Not from where I sit. And certainly not like the character assassination, mercilessly trashed, slaughtered VICTIM, Travis Alexander. Remember him?

It is amusing how there are people in here feeling sorry for this juror and disliking the premise that she is being "trashed" or "crucified". They forget that the defense team did nothing but trash and crucify a dead man during the first trial, during the original sentencing phase, and then again during this sentencing phase.

He has been trashed and crucified going on 7 years now.

A person who has no way to defend himself............ This juror had the opportunity to right a wrong....but she chose to do the wrong thing.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Husban...uted-by-Martinez-295429721.html#ixzz3TfCKOkxU

What civil suit does JA have to testify in before she is shipped off to prison? When is the civil suit? She's just never going, is she? :facepalm:

Civil suit, whatever it is (wrongful death suit, maybe?) could be handled in reasonable amount of time with her then swiftly sent away. But just watch--it won't be a reasonable amount of time and justice that is yet to come will not be swift. There will be delay after delay after delay once again, unless the judge assigned this time around has a clue.

Travis Alexander 5/26 g chat, "Tell me the truth: I hate you. Say it. I want the truth just once and then tell me why you hate me and desire to destroy my life. Why did you manipulate me into loving you? I was a good guy. Why did you have to do it to me? ...What was your objective? What was the point?...Even now you only talk but your actions show that you hate me."

image.jpg

Justice for Travis

For those trial watchers who have been very shocked and upset by the defence team tactics as well as the images and information which have been part of this "trial", katiecoolady has a healing perspective.
http://twoinnocents.com/2015/03/07/open-letter-to-the-jodi-arias-jurors-second-panel/

I have brought up the slandering and victim blaming indulged in by the DT, abetted (IMO) by JSS, in past posts. I firmly believe that what happened in this trial is no different than the old defence of rapists tactic--only here, instead of "she asked for it", the DT's cant was "she said he strung her along so he deserved it".

I really hope the Alexander family did bring a civil lawyer to court with them, and that they find grounds to prove that the estate of Travis Alexander was suffered damage from the lies spun by the DT. It is my hope that every single person on the DT who propagated those lies about Travis Alexander will be sued,at the least. And, if jury tampering can be proved, I'd like to see some of these people disbarred.

Probably what I would really like to see is a justice system in which the victims have as many rights as the criminals.

Amen, Amen!! This trial, my friend Martha's killer, and Katiecoolady's sister's killers - there are hundreds more - the victims become victimized again by the very system that is supposed to bring justice.

Have been a lurker here since the sentencing retrial. Joined after the recent news of the hung jury.

After having a couple of days to cool down, I now think this is the best case scenario. The fact that 11 of the 12 jurors were not fooled speaks volumes—to TA's family/supporters as well as JA/DT. Jury # 17, no matter what her story is, prevented an automatic appeal (if not many others) as a result of not voting the DP. TA's family won't have to live in that heightened state of hell. I know they want JA off this planet (which I completely understand), but they need to heal and it will never happen in that courtroom.

I believe JSS gave the DT leeway, not as a courtesy to the JA/DT, but to avoid appealable issues if JA had gotten "death." And imagine if JSS had stopped the deliberations to investigate the lone jury for "life." The DT would have pitched such a fit that there would have been a mistrial declared, then and there. The current uproar would pale in comparison to that scenario. I do think the DT dragged this out as long as they could in the hopes that the number of the jury would be whittled down to where there wouldn't be much of one left and if the trial lasted this long, it ups the chances for a mistrial in general.

I also wonder if the death penalty option were replaced by "Life in Solitary Confinement (i.e. confined 23/24 hours) if the number of hung juries would drop dramatically as well as the appeals. Imagine the life of a defense attorney.... "Jury, can you confine this woman to a tiny cell with little sunlight and human interaction for the rest of her days?" Jury thought, "Why yes, yes we can."

Lastly, my heart goes out the Alexander family. They're the ones who have been in hell and I hope they can find peace…. far, far away from Maricopa County.

Welcome! I very much agree!

Civil suit, whatever it is (wrongful death suit, maybe?) could be handled in reasonable amount of time with her then swiftly sent away. But just watch--it won't be a reasonable amount of time and justice that is yet to come will not be swift. There will be delay after delay after delay once again, unless the judge assigned this time around has a clue.

IIRC the Alexanders brought this suit so that she cannot profit from her 'art' or murderabilia....

Nice and even-tempered are qualities admirable in anyone, judges included, and I don't think those qualities alone should disqualify JSS to her position. The fact she has shown poor judgment in matters of law again and again in this trial are issues worth taking a closer look at, and should apply directly to her ability to hold her position with the integrity and reliability it requires.

You're right Steve, I'll put myself on a self-imposed, 30 minute timeout, as a penalty for an incomplete and poorly thought out assessment.

I've been trying to catch up with this forum for days.....:panic:.....Just a few thoughts on juror #17......If you claim to have a history of DV in your background, knowing this DT's tactics you know they are going to target you as a potential juror. They will fight to get you on the jury panel. I just can't believe that somebody with that type of background would have 2 marriages with violent felons, it just doesn't ring true to me.

JMHO

It has entered my head that Juror #17 might be experiencing DV currently and was coerced into getting on that jury no matter what it took. The behavior of her Husband #2 in speaking for her at the press conference (IIRC) and explicitly soliciting interviews, etc. for them both through social media could be understood as very controlling behavior vis à vis his wife.

So it is possible to impeach the verdict? I wonder if the jurors are mad enough to do it. I would be, in fact I would be dead set on it, if it were possible. I am sure a number of those jurors have relationships now and are in touch. The one on the phone hoped charges were pressed against #17. Hopefully the county will reach out to them for statements.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ex-husband-prosecuted-juan-martinez/24532359/

It's not clear if she realized Martinez prosecuted her ex-husband. And if she did, why she didn't disclose it.

In a statement, Maricopa County Attorney spokesman Jerry Cobb said:

"We are aware of these issues and are looking into them. Beyond that we are not commenting further at the moment."
During a news conference Thursday after the mistrial was declared in the Arias penalty phase, Juan Martinez said, "Sometimes the outcome is what you hope. Other times it's what the system provides you so you accept it and you move on."

When it comes to a motion for a new trial, Arizona Revised Statutes, Rules of Criminal Procedure specifically states:

"To impeach the verdict whenever the validity is challenged the court may receive the testimony or affidavit of any witness, including members of the jury, which relates to the conduct of a juror, official of the court, or third person. No testimony or affidavit shall be received which inquires into the subjective motives or mental processes which led a juror to assent or dissent from the verdict."

IIRC the Alexanders brought this suit so that she cannot profit from her 'art' or murderabilia....

I believe that could be their reason.

A very good one, imo.

Let's hope the judge assigned this civil procedure does not allow the killer's victim to be crucified in the courtroom again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member