Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, would you have white in your eyes if Jodi Arias were your daughter?:thinking:

I assumed it was a photoshop, but who knows?

I thought Photoshop at first, too. I took it from the HLN site, but seeing the youtube logo in upper right corner - HLN took it from the video. I could totally see ja with black devil eye pits.

*shuddering* I'd say poor woman, but...

Can a person have plenty of money for commissary and still be declared indigent?

Let's say an inmate has $150 in their prison account and that's all the money they have. They could not hire an attorney to represent them and pay for representation of their case for $150 so yes, they would be considered indigent even with money in their prison account.

There are financial standards to determine indigency, but I don't know what they are and it probably varies state to state. Maybe if one is at or below the poverty level in terms of income.

As for that trust account, no idea.

Now I see from this that even low-phase inmates can get $60 per week in commissary. (This is very different from the inmate handbook.) Let's hope Jodi is non-compliant with her required medication. That would keep her from advancing. It seems from the trial (e.g. JSS' questions to her at allocution time) that Jodi might have been out of compliance. I can't imagine she doesn't have required medication. She also is not going to do very well in "Cognitive Restructuring." That's a requirement to get out of Phase I.

What meds does she take other than for her alleged migraine? I keep seeing references to it, but I can't find it while googling - arrrghhhhh!

The state's costs as presented by Richardson only included direct costs that could be categorized to the Arias case. There are fixed costs that occur no matter what case or trial and those costs were not part of the $132K+ number quoted. Most of the costs are fixed, when only looking at what the prosecution spent.

Fixed costs such as:

Courthouse
Courthouse staff
Prosecutor
Assistant Prosecutor
Prosecution Staff
Security
State crime lab
State M.E.
Costs of LE
Cost to run the courthouse, lighting, heating, air conditioning, payment of loans

The defense team is not on staff and therefore their hourly rates are direct costs, paid by the state.

Oct 23, 2014 Dr Drew had Tara Kelley on his show, here is the tweet:

EXCLUSIVE: Tara Kelley, juror #17 in #JodiArias' criminal trial, will join Dr. Drew tonight -- 9pET on HLN.
https://twitter.com/drdrewhln/status/525402560270585857

Defense saw a social media post about Juror #17 being on Dr Drew on Oct 23, jumped to the wrong conclusion, and that's how (penalty phase) Juror #17 ended up in chambers that afternoon.

Even the tweeters who responded to this tweet seem confused, some asking if she had been dismissed before the clarification, one even mentions the uproar caused in court by the announcement.

Think that was in one of the articles, but I have to think they got something confused. She'll go to Perryville when sentenced and brought back if necessary, IMO.

What I wondered is why she would still have the copy in her cell. It says she gave it to her visitor, but I wouldn't think she'd have access to a copier...

I could take a photo of this screen and email or text it to someone in less than 5 seconds. Just sayin'...copiers aren't needed these days - just hold it up or put it on the table and done. Doesn't even have to change hands and she would still have the original.

I don't see that her restrictions would have allowed that opportunity after the verdict :thinking: but prior to verdict... :dunno:

.... more likely MDLR :moo:

The prison handbooks are all well and good but they are not a representation of real life. First IMO JA is a psychopath and no medication, no treatment and no Cognitive Restructuring through Dreams & Imagery is going to make her feel empathy nor make her stop manipulating others - it's who she is, it's what she does. Bottom line, as long as she does what she is supposed to do, her job etc., and attempts to participate in classes or whatever is required and doesn't have things in her cell that she isn't supposed to have and doesn't spit at the guards and doesn't throw her food or bodily fluids at the guards- all is good. It's all routine, bed checks, meals at certain specific times - same routine day in and day out. No need to try to make it horrible, it is horrible, it's prison, most likely for the rest of her life.

I don't think she did...

You mean like how TH did some fancy backstepping in his tweets about what she'd said to him on March 6,2015, even though he was the one that had used quotes for what she'd said?

Troy Hayden @troyhaydenfox10 · 17m 17 minutes ago 3:48pm March 6,2015.
To clarify: Willmott said both sides knew #juror17's 1st husband had "a past." But says she did not know Juan Martinez prosecuted case.

Troy Hayden @troyhaydenfox10 · 47m 47 minutes ago
#jodiarias def atty Jennifer Willmott told me she did not know #juror17's husband was prosecuted by Juan Martinez. #Fox10Phoenix

Troy Hayden @troyhaydenfox10 · 1h 1 hour ago
#jodiarias atty Jennifer Willmott, "We all knew (#Juror17's) 1st husband had a past. If Juan didn't check it out, that's his fault."

The prison handbooks are all well and good but they are not a representation of real life. First IMO JA is a psychopath and no medication, no treatment and no Cognitive Restructuring through Dreams & Imagery is going to make her feel empathy nor make her stop manipulating others - it's who she is, it's what she does. Bottom line, as long as she does what she is supposed to do, her job etc., and attempts to participate in classes or whatever is required and doesn't have things in her cell that she isn't supposed to have and doesn't spit at the guards and doesn't throw her food or bodily fluids at the guards- all is good. It's all routine, bed checks, meals at certain specific times - same routine day in and day out. No need to try to make it horrible, it is horrible, it's prison, most likely for the rest of her life.

As horrible as jail/prison probably is, some personalities do do better with a strict routine, I can't recall what it's called but there is a label for it. These personalities just can't cope with the uncertainty of living out in the real world with all the vagaries of each person's needs/wants/moods let alone having to abide by society's rules that often do not jive with their own needs/wants/moods, which iirc from the literature, is why their need for control is so powerful(so others cannot threaten "their" life...) and ultimately destructive. MOO.

I could take a photo of this screen and email or text it to someone in less than 5 seconds. Just sayin'...copiers aren't needed these days - just hold it up or put it on the table and done. Doesn't even have to change hands and she would still have the original.

I don't see that her restrictions would have allowed that opportunity after the verdict :thinking: but prior to verdict... :dunno:

Follow the money?

What meds does she take other than for her alleged migraine? I keep seeing references to it, but I can't find it while googling - arrrghhhhh!

If this is from JSS's question as to whether JA had taken her meds when JA refused her chance to allocute on the last day, this is allegedly something that judges commonly ask defendants when they don't do what would normally be in their best interest and that we shouldn't read too much into the question.

Afaik, the only meds ever identified were for migraine, iirc her DT had stated that, but I don't recall if they actually said what the meds were and it's not like she needs birth control. So unless she's now on some kind of anti-depressant too, I'm sure we'll never know, unless they figure it's grounds for yet another appeal.:/

The boogie man can get you only because he doesn't look like what you expect him to look like.

Right.....or changes his appearance......? :hills:

Attachments

• JANurmiYoungUgly.jpg
    JANurmiYoungUgly.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 57
  • JANurmiBald.jpg
    JANurmiBald.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 48
  • JANurmiNew1.jpg
    JANurmiNew1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 47
She's convinced herself if the State had only gone along with her 2nd degree plea brainstorm SO much money could have been saved.
It's all the Alexander's fault...and Juan's

#threemillion
#moneywellspent
I think Nurmi even suggested that there would be evidence that could "realistically" lead to a conviction on a lesser included offense such as manslaughter.[emoji15]

(July 2011 pre Settlement Conference)

Well I've been so caught up in this case i missed lacey spears case. I spent all night reading about it. Completely different kind of murderer. Its so sad

I wonder why there was no investigation into the use of the trust fund?

If someone is soliciting funds for a specific cause and the funds aren't used for that purpose - I think it's called fraud, or at the very least embezzlement? I could be totally wrong, maybe the fraud part is only if you site a specific cause knowing that you'll use the money for other things. I know there's a legal issue regarding how solicited funds are used.
Its possible that there is already an investigation into the fund IMO. Aunt Sue showed up every day of the last trial. She sure seemed to enjoy each day having a giggle fest with her twin. There doesn't seem to be a feud between sisters, or Jodi as the parents have been on YouTube trying to solicit funds for the account Aunt Sue controls. Aunt Sue even sent an affidavits in support of Jodi in this last phase. I haven't seen any tweets that Aunt Sue has shown up for even one day of this trial that I can remember. Why? Could it be because If she steps foot into the state of Arizona she knows there are officials waiting to at the very least question her about the fund? There has got to be a reason she has not shown up for this last phase of the trial. My guess is legal issues pertaining to the trust fund.

For me, it goes beyond just a closed mind and determination to vote her own way. I see this as an infraction of the rules because the movie was not part of the evidence and had no place in deliberations. Furthermore, if she viewed the movie while on jury duty in this case it is another infraction.
I haven't seen anything that indicates she watched the movie during the trial. She had seen at least parts of it, but that could have happened before the trial, and previous knowledge of the case was not a dis-qualifier to being on the jury. The fact she brought it up as an issue of debate is against the rules of deliberation, but is not necessarily a valid cause for removal; she could have been instructed by the judge to keep to the information and evidence presented at trial.

Which leads me back to the question, that if it is in her legal paperwork, how does the jail go about searching for it there?

My sense is that it will be years before she is a medium security inmate, and she can never be minimum security. She can evidently be in max and be in a general population of max-ers. Inmates with 16+ years left are housed together, as far as I can tell. The regulations seem quite complicated.

My least favorite feature of any of the regulations is that they can have $60+ to spent every month in commissary and extra at Christmas. They can even buy makeup; this seems to me completely unnecessary.
Unnecessary? Have you seen some of these women??:laughing:

Its possible that there is already an investigation into the fund IMO. Aunt Sue showed up every day of the last trial. She sure seemed to enjoy each day having a giggle fest with her twin. There doesn't seem to be a feud between sisters, or Jodi as the parents have been on YouTube trying to solicit funds for the account Aunt Sue controls. Aunt Sue even sent an affidavits in support of Jodi in this last phase. I haven't seen any tweets that Aunt Sue has shown up for even one day of this trial that I can remember. Why? Could it be because If she steps foot into the state of Arizona she knows there are officials waiting to at the very least question her about the fund? There has got to be a reason she has not shown up for this last phase of the trial. My guess is legal issues pertaining to the trust fund.

I would have guessed it would have something to do with withholding evidence.. or tampering with it(that recording just didn't sound right), though I suppose the trust fund could be a problem too though since that crosses state lines wouldn't that be more something for the feds to concern themselves with(FBI/IRS)?

Which leads me back to the question, that if it is in her legal paperwork, how does the jail go about searching for it there?

Otoh, she could be hiding razorblades in her legal files... I'm sure the sheriff has the authority to check everything she has in that cell for contraband.

Iirc it was that he had searched her "legal" documents previously and JA had made allegations against the authorities that they had photo copied her book notes or something like that, plus I think they may have tried to confiscate one of her "art" pieces at one time that MDLR had hidden in her "legal" papers, that stirred up some controversy(that may even be some of these civil matters that people are asking about, wasn't JA going to sue for slander or something like that... rofl).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand