Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. He uses these cases to get money. He asks for support, and probably pockets all or some of the money. JA had a fit about it when her 'support' group split, and she wanted the money to go to her family and this guy was still collecting in her name. If I read everything correctly her family never saw a dime from this guy. That's how I understand it, I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Actually, I think you're talking about the other website , although this one I'd also suspect is not doing it without compensation of some type. This JAII one is the one that JA and her family preferred & support - they sell the 'art' and collect funds that goes into an account in Aunt Sue's name, supposedly dedicated for appeals funding.

Is this definitely related to Arias? Maybe Nurmi hasn't fully applied the brakes. Either way, we all know she's going to file appeals. I don't think a single one of them will be successful.

It could be a cover letter for notice of appeal, or notice of intent to file appeal, or some such thing regarding her appeal of her conviction. Even though she will have an appeals attorney handle it, Nurmi could file the notice.

I do not know for a fact that is what this is...just guessing based on prior statements that she would appeal. And it is not an appeal of her sentence because she hasn't been sentenced yet.

Doesn't Jodi have to pay for her own appeals now that she didn't get the DP.

Actually, I think you're talking about the other website , although this one I'd also suspect is not doing it without compensation of some type. This JAII one is the one that JA and her family preferred & support - they sell the 'art' and collect funds that goes into an account in Aunt Sue's name, supposedly dedicated for appeals funding.

Ah ok thanks. Different yet the same I suppose, at least from this far out, where I prefer to be.

Unfortunately I don't think so, since she has indigent status, but she has to accept the court appointed appeals attorney. If she wants to hire her own, she has to pay for it.

IMO, an appeal means more time in the spotlight, more access to the AZ taxpayers' money, more chances to inflict her twisted will on the world. Even though I believe it should be the State should be the one driving this process to get a new trial.

I truly believe j17 was an outlier in every sense of the word. The other jurors AND alternates saw through the dt's BS, and were fully prepared to vote for death. This tells me that it is worth it for the State to pursue an appeal.

As many of my fellow WSers have stated (and as a previous resident and taxpayer of the State of AZ), there are $3M reasons they should proceed. In addition to the heartbreaking wishes of the Alexander Family.

:twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ironic thing is that JSS did such a good job as she went along to prevent issues for an appeal it is doubtful there is anything remaining to try for a new trial. Different legal experts have said that it is also unlikely that if she did get a new trial that the state could try for the death penalty again. There is no "appeal" process for the prosecution team.

I thought I would feel better once the trial was over, but the way it ended actually left me feeling sort of hopeless because I know that there really will never be true justice for Travis and his family. I wish I had never heard her name or flipped to the 48hrs episode she was in so many years ago. There just isn't any resolution for me and I can only imagine how his family feels.

No. She is indigent. State will pay for her appeal.

The difference is with life sentence she has to appeal...if it had been death the appeal would have been filed for her automatically.

But either way, state pays.

Let me try and explain this so even I understand it.

We can't post J17 name, or her husband's name unless it comes from an official source. If the YouTube is up for the husband but has nothing to do with this case you can't post it. It will end up in a discussion regarding this case and we just can't do that. Until it is official he is the husband of J17 and that is how he should be identified. We know he gave an interview to the media but his identity was not revealed. Hang in there because at some point the name will be released. If they feel she feels confident that there was no wrongdoing on her part she may opt to do an interview. If her name is not released there is no harm. It is possible what we are hearing are rumors and there may not be any truth to them.

So do not mention by name any of the jurors unless they come forward and identify themselves. I hope that is clear.

The ironic thing is that JSS did such a good job as she went along to prevent issues for an appeal it is doubtful there is anything remaining to try for a new trial. Different legal experts have said that it is also unlikely that if she did get a new trial that the state could try for the death penalty again. There is no "appeal" process for the prosecution team.

I thought I would feel better once the trial was over, but the way it ended actually left me feeling sort of hopeless because I know that there really will never be true justice for Travis and his family. I wish I had never heard her name or flipped to the 48hrs episode she was in so many years ago. There just isn't any resolution for me and I can only imagine how his family feels.

The appeal will no doubt mention prosecutor misconduct. And the victim being a pedophile, probably. Also DV and self defense, which won't fly because nothing regarding that was inadmissible during the trial. I mean, it's not like there was a witness to DV and the judge would not allow them to testify. In fact, they testified by affidavit when they refused to appear because she did not want to risk them not testifying to what the killer was claiming was her reason to kill.

There were no doubt many errors in this trial but it would have to be something significant for her to win a do-over...some significant error that it could reasonably be assumed that if it had not occurred it would have changed the verdict.

Yes indeed there are lots of rumors, however, I *thought* that I heard one of the jurors say this during their press conference, that J17 was doing this during deliberations.

*sigh* THIS is how rumors begin! I was just wondering if anybody else remembered hearing the same.

If you mean the press conference right after the mistrial was declared, I just listened to it again. I didn't hear them saying that she was following the media and wanted off the jury. I may have missed it. Listen again and if you find it, please post the time stamp from about where it is in the YouTube video.

http://youtu.be/Anvp_y811hE

I hear their frustration. The 11 jurors in that presser—they all got it. They got everything we understand and we've been discussing and examining and rehashing this case for years. Still, even with the disappointment of this jury being unable to reach a verdict, I will support #17's holdout vote if she's cleared by the official investigation.

The website for JA has been begging for money since the first trial, for appeals (they say.) I understood if a DP sentence the State of AZ had to pay for appeals but with a life sentence does AZ still pay for the appeals? Is there a limit to appeals for a life sentence. I know a DP appeals process can go on for years and years.

I can't find out anything about the civil case either. It is not a wrongful death suit by the Alexander family. It appears to have something to do with Cassandra Collins the former cellmate of JA that had her 15 minutes of fame. Collins went on the media rounds stating things JA had said to her when they were cellmates.
JA will not be transported to Perryville until after she testifies in a civil suit. So she will continue to sit in Estrella even after sentencing.:gaah:

It is my understanding that if she had received th DP she would be granted ONE automatic appeal (I assume paid for by the state) after that I'm not sure.

With a life sentence there is no guarantee of appeal, and she's all on her own. Her days of milking the state are over. That's why in a weird twisted way this was the worst outcome for her. Someone earlier summed it up very consisly.

The majority of 2 juries voted for the DP, Thereby robbing her of her victim card. She'll fade into obscurity and won't be able to torture the Alexanders any longer.

I think the only guarantee now is that she'll receive a LWOP sentence.

Well if she had committed the crime in a state without the DP this would be the most severe punishment she could receive (assuming JSS gives LWOP), plus the DP is a farce that gives the convict more of a chance to get out or get parole than LWOP does. I wish it wasn't true but it is. This is punishment, this is not what's-her-name in Florida. As a great man once said, "It's over Jodi."

Unfortunately I don't think so, since she has indigent status, but she has to accept the court appointed appeals attorney. If she wants to hire her own, she has to pay for it.

Are you sure??? That's never the way I understood it??:confused:

Are you sure??? That's never the way I understood it??:confused:
Hopefully AZL will be around to clarify it, but I'm pretty sure she said the state will pay for her appeals even with LWOP, but I don't think she has an unlimited number of them as she would with the DP. I even saw a message from her family (I think the Youtube video of her parents) saying they want to raise money for her appeal so they can hire their own attorney and not have to rely on the state-appointed one. It's very, very unlikely that any of her appeals will be successful, and that's from AZL. It's completely normal to file them, but that doesn't mean they'll get anywhere.

It's sort of like the Casey thing. It feels like grasping at straws - no one is gonna do anything - law breakers or whatever!!

Hopefully AZL will be around to clarify it, but I'm pretty sure she said the state will pay for her appeals even with LWOP, but I don't think she has an unlimited number of them as she would with the DP. I even saw a message from her family (I think the Youtube video of her parents) saying they want to raise money for her appeal so they can hire their own attorney and not have to rely on the state-appointed one. It's very, very unlikely that any of her appeals will be successful, and that's from AZL. It's completely normal to file them, but that doesn't mean they'll get anywhere.

Here I go again with my, "Am I remembering correctly?", buuuuut, don't the Arias peeps believe they are going to get the conviction overturned? The whole, she was wrongly convicted thing. Is it possible to appeal a conviction or just a sentence?

And my brain is mush. Something happened to my memory after having kids!

Agree, jurors names should not have been released, and certainly not circulated .. none of them, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this actually. Did you all read this article, it's lengthy but a good read ..

http://www.examiner.com/article/jod...-being-investigated-post-verdict-juror-17-und

Also can someone remind me, we know how and when the 11 jurors that voted for death's names were released, but what about Juror #17 .. where did her name pop up, and who published first?

Jodi had her cell tossed( looking for the "list" ) and is being questioned:hilarious: wish we had a video, headstand anyone?

Counting on people to "self report" things just does not work...not saying they have to go to this extend but as they were down to even 40 left or so...starting running the checks...the prosecutor's office has much more access to background info that us "old ladies on twitter" do...and that is a good point too ...could have been same judge or attys or many things...she had red flags that went right past the state...I imagine the defense was just laying low wondering why state was not doing anything...the whole trial has been bizarre including the end.

BBM

Oh yes, I assume they had done the checks and knew wondering how everyone else had missed it. This is a huge fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton