Disturbing LA quote

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughter at times that seems inappropriate to others is really a way of coping. Police do it alot when faced with some of their crime scenes. They just can't let things get to them and sometimes the laughter breaks that stress barrier. Not that they are being disrespectful, it just helps them deal and detach from the situtation. I would imagine LA might have picked this up from his father as this family is able to detach themselves quite easily....all of them. JMO

This is a really good point and the more I listen to him it seems to be what he does. And I know police even make jokes at murder scenes just to help cope with the situation. The fact that his father may have unknowingly passed this onto LA is definitely an interesting point of view.

And again, I'm certainly not trying to draw any conclusions from LA's laughter I just think it is interesting to look at some of the subconcious things we all do because they can sometimes be so telling.

I just began watching CA's deposotion again and was trying to look at the times she took a drink of water. Again, this appears to be another sort of subconcious reaction. I'm not sure why she does it but I'm sure it's not because she is thirsty (have you noticed how long it lasts even after taking so many drinks?)

Here's a quick transcript of a few of the times. It would be great to hear everyone's opinions. I've put mine, but again this is just an opinion.

Making the obsurd sound normal
JM: Have you ever seen a picture of Zanny?
CA: No, but I have a picture in my head. From descriptions, from the last 2 and a half years... (Drink of Water)

Possible lie since the need to call Zanny sure would have come up during the 31 days she was trying to track down her daughter and grandaugher. It's funny how she never has said that she was frantically searching or attempting to locate Zanny's number during this time.
JM: If the need arose that you ever needed to talk to her (Zanny), you would have had to go to these addresses and phone numbers that Casey gave you?
CA: Yes, correct.
JM: Did you ever dial or call or talk to this person.
CA: No, I have not. (Drink of Water)

Possible Lie
JM: Did you ever hear Jesse talk about Zanny?
CA: Yes...
JM: What did he say?
CA: I can't rememnber, I just remember the name came up. (Drink of Water)

Making the obsurd sound normal
JM: Is there any other adult that has said to you 'I have met Zanny and know who she is'.
CA: Not that I'm aware of (long sigh and whispers 'this is not relevant') (Drink of water)

Possible lie. I find it hard to believe the topic of paying for Zanny never came up. I have a feeling Casey used it as an excuse for never having money.
CA: Casey would give me a new phone number for Zanny probably every three months. She said the girl changed her phone number almost like she changed her address.
JM: Did Casey tell you that she was paying Zanny?
CA: I never asked her (Drink of Water)

Possible Lie
JM: How many times did Casey stay out of the house with Zanny and Caylee?
CA: (Drink of Water) What time frame?
JM: Let me narrow it down, how many times was it before June 15th. That Casey stayed out of the house with Zanny?
CA: Maybe on an average, once or twice a month.

Avoidance
JM: There came a point in time when your daughter. According to her, gave Caylee to the babysitter.
CA: What specific date are you talking about? (Drink of Water)
JM: June 15th...
CA: Casey in my understanding never gave Caylee to Zanny (she goes on to correct him that it was June 16th).

SFW: do you think that LA was in the pontiac post Caylee's murder? Or do you think LA was meaning to say what people keep repeating....like, "once you smell that smell for the very first time you'll never, ever forget it"?:yuck::ghost::borgsmile:

Or was he meaning that he went out and repeatedly smelled that smell just because he couldn't (laugh) believe how horrible it was.....ahem.....or who it was?

I think he meant that was the first time he had smelled THE horrible smell coming from the Pontiac. CA or GA probably had described it in a conversation with him prior to his arrival at the house. I really don't think there is any more to it than that. But.....what do I know.

CA: Yes, correct.
JM: Did you ever dial or call or talk to this person.
CA: No, I have not. (Drink of Water)

*snipped to point*

First, thanks for this. I know how difficult it is to sit through that deposition, so I appreciate the hard work and pain this represents.

O/T Did you notice that JM asked about a specific and finite time period, but Cindy answered in an "not ever" way? She didn't say "No, I didn't." She said "No, I have not."

*snipped to point*

First, thanks for this. I know how difficult it is to sit through that deposition, so I appreciate the hard work and pain this represents.

O/T Did you notice that JM asked about a specific and finite time period, but Cindy answered in an "not ever" way? She didn't say "No, I didn't." She said "No, I have not."

It was extremely difficult to listen to this interview. It makes me almost livid. She has absolutely no concept of or sympathy towards someone who has been hurt by KC's lies - even though she has been so many times before.

She is ready to convict anyone that show's even the slightest inconsitency but protects her daughter when she lies 99% of the time.

And yes, I did notice the she answers in a "not ever" way. This is even more peculiar to me considering CA herself asks JM to be specific on times and dates before asking many questions.

Does anyone recall whether LA laughed inappropriately or frequently during his secretly taped meeting with Tony in the car?

I remember thinking he seemed cavalier, like he was planning a party & deciding who to invite & what to eat. Specifically, I recall him laughing inappropriately when something was inferred about KC lying. He seemed serious only about the 'timeline' - just trying to figure out this timeline dude (I'm paraphrasing from memory).

What I found most odd though, was that he was supposedly trying to figure out the timeline but he didn't seem to be writing anything down - he did pull out his cellphone to look at a calendar once or twice & I think he even pulled out a small notebook & flipped it open for reference - but I did not see him write anything down.

Now, did I miss something? Does he have such a good memory that he will be able to recall everything he's told w/o writing it down? Is it possible he was surreptitiously recording that conversation in the car too? I know T. said he had to get back to him about a couple of things but there were definites he told LA & I just don't know how someone can remember that much info w/o writing it down, particularly when there's so much conflicting info coming from various people.

JMO

I remember thinking he seemed cavalier, like he was planning a party & deciding who to invite & what to eat. Specifically, I recall him laughing inappropriately when something was inferred about KC lying. He seemed serious only about the 'timeline' - just trying to figure out this timeline dude (I'm paraphrasing from memory).

What I found most odd though, was that he was supposedly trying to figure out the timeline but he didn't seem to be writing anything down - he did pull out his cellphone to look at a calendar once or twice & I think he even pulled out a small notebook & flipped it open for reference - but I did not see him write anything down.

Now, did I miss something? Does he have such a good memory that he will be able to recall everything he's told w/o writing it down? Is it possible he was surreptitiously recording that conversation in the car too? I know T. said he had to get back to him about a couple of things but there were definites he told LA & I just don't know how someone can remember that much info w/o writing it down, particularly when there's so much conflicting info coming from various people.

JMO

I didn't even notice he wasn't writing it down. I remember him saying that when they first found out Caylee was missing he ran to get a notebook and paper to start writing things down that KC was saying. He added that he only got a few lines down before the police arrived. Very odd that he wouldn't have a pen and pad when he certainly had time to prepare.

If I had to guess I would say he was recording it too which is pretty ironic.

JMO

But what did Tony offer to Lee for him to write down? Nothing basically. It was really sad to me seeing Lee desperate for information and TL obviously not caring one bit about any of it. If I'd been Lee, my blood would have run cold. I would have really been frightened seeing TL's cavalier attitude and noncommunication. Lee had incredibly good faith to go there to talk to TL in the first place, treating him like a friend and assuming he would also want to help find Caylee. He could see that TL didn't care at all. Then TL actually ridiculed him afterward, this young man worried to death to find his little niece. The only information I can remember Tony mentioning at all was reiterating how annoyed he had been picking Casey up at the Amscot and the part about his drug dealer in the complex (which made Lee slow down and become pensive and worried). When Lee went into that meeting with TL, he seemed to still be thinking (or at least convincing himself) that this was all some crazy Casey stunt or mix-up, and that Caylee was with some friend of hers. When he heard from TL about the drug dealer, he did pause and look worried and pensive, you could see he was worried Casey might have stolen money from the drug dealer or something, which could be a more serious situation than he'd allowed himself to consider up to that point. (Because TL had mentioned she'd said she had some money to get a new car or something? IIRC.) Lee does seem to laugh out of embarrassment regarding Casey, and out of nervousness, and I think also to be accomodating/deflect confrontation, for example, when the officers in the other interview are saying, I hope you don't mind me asking this question or making this face and Lee laughs and says no problem. It does sound like a nervous laugh and him trying to be cooperative. Not that there couldn't be some kind of pattern of exactly what kind of questions make him laugh. It's an interesting question.

I honestly think from everything I've seen of Lee, if he had wanted to record TL he would have said, "I'm going to record this if that's okay with you" or something like that.
I agree with the above poster who said that Lee seems pretty serious and sincere when trying hard to get information out of Casey in the prison conversation. He seems to want very badly to find Caylee.

I don't think he laughed when talking to Casey, did he? I'm trying to remember now. Maybe just when talking to others about her? And about the horrible situation that you can tell he was trying to believe was going to turn out just fine, Caylee must be with some friend, this is all a stupid stunt or mixup, or something like that.

your question about the line "smelled for the first time" is very interesting SFW. Thanks for the thread.

(It kind of stands out, kind of like KMT's statement of "and that was the last time I ever heard her".) It's like, why throw in that detail?

IMO, the A's haven't said very much that makes sense..."not ever"... lol. If we really wanted to challenge ourselves, we could start listening for information that DOES make sense!

One thing is driving me crazy..... DEAD SQUIRRELS DON'T CRAWL!! It's also not common practice for a dead squirrel to come back to life, find his friend, crawl into a car engine, and then RE-die. And in my experience, live squirrels don't normally get together and decide to climb under the hood of a vehicle, either. I live in Arkansas, though, so maybe our squirrels aren't advanced enough to schedule their gatherings and make plans to rendevous inside of car engines.

IMO, the A's haven't said very much that makes sense..."not ever"... lol. If we really wanted to challenge ourselves, we could start listening for information that DOES make sense!

One thing is driving me crazy..... DEAD SQUIRRELS DON'T CRAWL!! It's also not common practice for a dead squirrel to come back to life, find his friend, crawl into a car engine, and then RE-die. And in my experience, live squirrels don't normally get together and decide to climb under the hood of a vehicle, either. I live in Arkansas, though, so maybe our squirrels aren't advanced enough to schedule their gatherings and make plans to rendevous inside of car engines.

Right - not unless you've got a really good stash of nuts or something hidden in our engine compartment. Rats, on the other hand, will. Pack rats love the wiring in engine compartments. But then KC didn't say rat, did she? She had machinery-invading squirrels.

In listening to one of LA's interviews I noticed a disturbing quote that caught my attention and hadn't noticed before - "the trunk was open, the windows were rolled down to what I assume was to ventilate the horrible smell i had just (laughter) smelled for the first time..."

It just feels very odd that he would make this statement. It wasn't asked and seems so out of place when you think about it. Also, I know he has a nervous laugh but I always wondered if it occurs more when he is about to lie.

I always believed the "smelled for the first time" line was said because he is telling the story of what happened that night. In the course of the that night he goes in and out of the garage, not staying in the garage long because of the smell. When he approached the car on arrival at the house, was when he smelled that horrible smell "for the first time."

When I first read his interview, the central theme seemed to be the overwhelming horrible smell. He even asks Casey about it at one point. I believe he knew then what the smell was, too. This makes his constant laughing very creepy to me.

Laughter at times that seems inappropriate to others is really a way of coping. Police do it alot when faced with some of their crime scenes. They just can't let things get to them and sometimes the laughter breaks that stress barrier. Not that they are being disrespectful, it just helps them deal and detach from the situtation. I would imagine LA might have picked this up from his father as this family is able to detach themselves quite easily....all of them. JMO

I understand what you are saying, but George doesn't seem to use laughter as a way to deal with stress. I don't think Lee gets the "laughter as a coping mechanism" from George.

During his interviews when George gets stressed, he seems to lash out, not laugh.

FWIW...when I took my wedding vows, I was so nervous that when it came to the part where I said fidelity......I giggled through it. Not the same as describing the smell of decomp, but inappropriate nonetheless.

I also wonder if it is plausible that Lee was trying to avoid saying something like "smell of death", "decomp", or anything else that would validate that he thought it was his niece he was smelling. OR perhaps he was concerned that he would be an automatic suspect and wanted to interject that he had in fact NOT smelled it prior to that evening. I can't remember if ShawnHS did a reverse speech analysis on this segment of the LA interview. Off to check.

I believe you have just highlighted a very, very important statement. As for his laugh, it has always gave me the creeps. It's as is his emotional circuit board is not the same as ours.

Novice Seeker

IMO it's not. Rewatch the video of him and the dog lady.. when he takes the sign and is destroying it.

IMO Lee is the one in that family who "mimic's" human emotions.

Yes, George and Cindy went back to work! They went back to work after smelling that car and knowing it sure smelled just like a dead body does. The smell was coming from their daughter's abandoned car. They went back to work knowing it was the smell of death in that car picked up from the tow yard. They went to work even though they had not seen or talked to Caylee in 31 days, and the car smelled like death. It was a super human denial they had going.

Lee tries laughing at the absurdity of the situation when he has to convey what he, himself, thinks is a bizarre-can't-be-true situation. Tracy did a lot of laughing in her interview, and we know she didn't think it was really funny, but absurd, outrageous stuff. Maybe some people laugh when faced with something bizarre and outrageous to them. Maybe they laugh to convey what even they feel is bizarre.

Or Lee could be kinda dense about appropiate behavior in general. None of the Anthonys have shown appropiate behavior now that I think of it. They would gloss over Caylee's death if they could with a tap dance and a song trying to cover up and rewrite history.

Curious Me, I so agree with you!
As we have seen from the beginning, none of this family responds " appropriately." More of my Psycho blabber here, but I just don't think they know how, due to their "enclosed" family dynamic. There is a wonderful alcoholic counselor / writer named Earnie Larson, who has written prolifically about how families in closed, alcoholic, sick,severely dysfunctional situations, do not know what is normal. To them avoiding, covering, protecting " the secret," telling lies, etc is just SOP. If waking up every morning and getting a beating by your father is what you know, it is "normal" to you. They were behaving like this, way before Caylee went missing, it is how they live. Having the spotlight shone upon them, for what is a horrific, tragic and truly unbelievable situation is not only their worst nightmare, but ours. We, the public, sympathetic, somewhat "normal" population are so appalled and horrified about a child missing form a family and the cavalier way it was treated by them, ( having nothing to do with Casey's act) and then their response of complete denial & then support of the murderer is just beyond our comprehension. Fortunately, I believe that we, here on websleuths, probably represent a cross section of the general population, from whom the jury will be selected. My humble opinion only of course!

Curious Me, I so agree with you!
As we have seen from the beginning, none of this family responds " appropriately." More of my Psycho blabber here, but I just don't think they know how, due to their "enclosed" family dynamic. There is a wonderful alcoholic counselor / writer named Earnie Larson, who has written prolifically about how families in closed, alcoholic, sick,severely dysfunctional situations, do not know what is normal. To them avoiding, covering, protecting " the secret," telling lies, etc is just SOP. If waking up every morning and getting a beating by your father is what you know, it is "normal" to you. They were behaving like this, way before Caylee went missing, it is how they live. Having the spotlight shone upon them, for what is a horrific, tragic and truly unbelievable situation is not only their worst nightmare, but ours. We, the public, sympathetic, somewhat "normal" population are so appalled and horrified about a child missing form a family and the cavalier way it was treated by them, ( having nothing to do with Casey's act) and then their response of complete denial & then support of the murderer is just beyond our comprehension. Fortunately, I believe that we, here on websleuths, probably represent a cross section of the general population, from whom the jury will be selected. My humble opinion only of course!

No joke, normal isn't so "normal" anymore. Many of us were brought up in homes with some of the same issues, it's how we recognized it. I think the average jury member will have little problem recognizing these people for what they are. Dysfunctional, enabling, co-dependant, personality disordered liars.. addicted to drama and interested in saving only their own skin.

Though I disagree that a family such as this think they are "normal" or don't know what "normal" is. IMO they know they are not normal, they know their family doesn't behave like other family's- it's why they are so closed off! It's why the adults don't have close friends, it's why the children don't have friends over, etc. If they didn't know they weren't normal they wouldn't be closed off. They know right from wrong, they choose wrong and blame the rest of the world- it's easier than changing or accepting responsibility for their behavior.

I understand what you are saying, but George doesn't seem to use laughter as a way to deal with stress. I don't think Lee gets the "laughter as a coping mechanism" from George.

During his interviews when George gets stressed, he seems to lash out, not laugh.

Yeah that he does.. and when he lies he gets that stupid painted on smile and head nodding stuff.

Lee doesn't even get angry- even when he's angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!