DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the project planning on taking their cases?
They already do in large part. Southwest Michigan is very eager to work with them. Their first case from that region was Marcia Bateman and now they're working on some more, including two cases from the same county where she was discovered, but I think they're probably working on a third one as well. Colleen Fitzpatrick is working on a John Doe case from St. Joseph County too. There are some other cases from the same region they could take on as well. This region is district 5 of Michigan State Police and covers the following counties: Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Cass, Calhoun, Branch, and St. Joseph. These counties have about a dozen of cases on NamUs collectively.

Last edited:
They already do in large part. Southwest Michigan is very eager to work with them. Their first case from that region was Marcia Bateman and now they're working on some more, including two cases from the same county where she was discovered, but I think they're probably working on a third one as well. Colleen Fitzpatrick is working on a John Doe case from St. Joseph County too. There are some other cases from the same region they could take on as well. This region is district 5 of Michigan State Police and covers the following counties: Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Cass, Calhoun, Branch, and St. Joseph. These counties have about a dozen of cases on NamUs collectively.
Michigan does seem to be one of the largest places asking for the DDP's help. I'm still trying to get Virginia on board, I worked at a vaccination clinic recently and managed to talk to someone who knows the higherups in Richmond

Michigan does seem to be one of the largest places asking for the DDP's help. I'm still trying to get Virginia on board, I worked at a vaccination clinic recently and managed to talk to someone who knows the higherups in Richmond
I love that you're helping spread the word. I keep reading that many police departments don't know about DDP. Anyone who has connections with local LE should make sure to mention it to them.

I love that you're helping spread the word. I keep reading that many police departments don't know about DDP. Anyone who has connections with local LE should make sure to mention it to them.
The problem with Virginia though is most UID cases are routed through Quantico, up near DC so the FBI can help work on them, and they tend to be very tight lipped about their cases.

There is a very promising match for Ventura co Jane Doe 1980, there are a lot of messages about her in the dedicated thread, I think it is her. I hope her identification will not take too much time! The DDP was informed about her.

There is a very promising match for Ventura co Jane Doe 1980, there are a lot of messages about her in the dedicated thread, I think it is her. I hope her identification will not take too much time! The DDP was informed about her.
I need to email Natalie Murry again on the potential match I had found for Rebel Ray

Wow, they are very close to identify Apache Junction Jane Doe, I believe a very close relative can be her father

https://www.kgun9.com/investigations/finding-the-family-of-apache-junction-jane-doe

Finding the family of Apache Junction Jane Doe
Investigators discover new lead to help identify unknown woman

By: Shawndrea Thomas
Posted at 12:37 PM, Jun 06, 2021

and last updated 1 hour ago

TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — Corporal Marshall Harshman with the Apache Junction Police Department is excited about a new discovery.

The department recently got new details in the 28-year-old mystery surrounding the case of Apache Junction Jane Doe.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Apache Junction police have been trying to solve a 28-year-old cold case and mystery

A man walking his dog found her body on a desolate dirt road on the morning of August 6 1992.

She was between the ages of 16-18 at the time of her death and was determined to be half Black and Hispanic through DNA. Her body had been the desert for nearly five weeks.

“We have developed a new lead. Through the DNA Doe Project, we were able to identify someone who was a first or second cousin to our Jane Doe,” Harshman said.

Investigators were able to find the names of at least three blood relatives through genealogy, but detectives could only reach one of them.

“That individual gave us the name of Bernhard Lyon Neumann,” Harshman said.

That particular relative had simply heard of Bernhard Neumann's name in the family tree, but that was it. Police also say they’re having a hard time tracking him down and aren't sure if he still has that name or was adopted at some point in his life.

“They were very surprised about it and had no idea there was an investigation and no idea there was any kind of relationship and of course now would like to see this come to an end,” Harshman said.

Another note, police want to clarify exactly why they're desperately trying to find Neumann.

"We want to make it abundantly clear sufficiently clear that Bernhard Neumann is not a suspect in this case. In fact, we don’t know how our Jane Doe died. We are strictly interested in identifying who he is so we can possibly figure out who she is,” Harshman said

According to investigators Bernhard Lyon Neumann is a very close relative to Apache Junction Jane Doe. He was born in 1953 near Darmstadt and Eberstadt Germany to a woman named Else Maria Neumann. His father was an African-American service member, but that’s all police were able to find out.

"We’re not really sure if that’s his name now he may have been adopted. We know that somehow or another that he was in the United States at some point, but we don’t know if he still has the name Bernhard Neumann,” Harshman said.

As the case inches closer to being solved, you might have the missing piece that can finally give investigators what they need to give Apache Junction Jane Doe a name and proper burial. We're told that researchers were able to eliminate surnames from the list of possible relatives during the process.

"We’re just hoping that somebody recognizes the name or the town as part of their history, the history of their family and be able to connect us with the right people so that we can put this to rest find out who our Jane Doe is,” Harshman said.

Last edited:
Wow, they are very close to identify Apache Junction Jane Doe, I believe a very close relative can be her father

https://www.kgun9.com/investigations/finding-the-family-of-apache-junction-jane-doe

TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — Corporal Marshall Harshman with the Apache Junction Police Department is excited about a new discovery.

The department recently got new details in the 28-year-old mystery surrounding the case of Apache Junction Jane Doe.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Apache Junction police have been trying to solve a 28-year-old cold case and mystery

A man walking his dog found her body on a desolate dirt road on the morning of August 6 1992.

She was between the ages of 16-18 at the time of her death and was determined to be half Black and Hispanic through DNA. Her body had been the desert for nearly five weeks.

“We have developed a new lead. Through the DNA Doe Project, we were able to identify someone who was a first or second cousin to our Jane Doe,” Harshman said.

Investigators were able to find the names of at least three blood relatives through genealogy, but detectives could only reach one of them.

That particular relative had simply heard of Bernhard Neumann's name in the family tree, but that was it. Police also say they’re having a hard time tracking him down and aren't sure if he still has that name or was adopted at some point in his life.

“They were very surprised about it and had no idea there was an investigation and no idea there was any kind of relationship and of course now would like to see this come to an end,” Harshman said.

Another note, police want to clarify exactly why they're desperately trying to find Neumann.

"We want to make it abundantly clear sufficiently clear that Bernhard Neumann is not a suspect in this case. In fact, we don’t know how our Jane Doe died. We are strictly interested in identifying who he is so we can possibly figure out who she is,” Harshman said

According to investigators Bernhard Lyon Neumann is a very close relative to Apache Junction Jane Doe. He was born in 1953 near Darmstadt and Eberstadt Germany to a woman named Else Maria Neumann. His father was an African-American service member, but that’s all police were able to find out.

"We’re not really sure if that’s his name now he may have been adopted. We know that somehow or another that he was in the United States at some point, but we don’t know if he still has the name Bernhard Neumann,” Harshman said.

As the case inches closer to being solved, you might have the missing piece that can finally give investigators what they need to give Apache Junction Jane Doe a name and proper burial. We're told that researchers were able to eliminate surnames from the list of possible relatives during the process.

"We’re just hoping that somebody recognizes the name or the town as part of their history, the history of their family and be able to connect us with the right people so that we can put this to rest find out who our Jane Doe is,” Harshman said.
So close and yet so far.

I wonder though, with this information they should be able to look at other close family members I’d imagine.

I wonder though, with this information they should be able to look at other close family members I’d imagine.
It seams that her father was born in Germany from German mother and African-American father, he was later given for adoption to US, so his blood family don’t know him and have no contact with him and probably his name was changed after adoption. And I guess there are less matches in Gedmatch connected to her mother, her mother was of Hispanic origin

It seams that her father was born in Germany from German mother and African-American father, he was later given for adoption to US, so his blood family don’t know him and have no contact with him and probably his name was changed after adoption. And I guess there are less matches in Gedmatch connected to her mother, her mother was of Hispanic origin
I guess the other scenario is that he was adopted in Germany/South America later on where he changed his name and might currently live. Seems that there is a good possibility that Jane Doe might have also later been adopted as well, considering the circumstances. Hopefully they will be able to solve the case, but it definitely seems like a grind.

I need to email Natalie Murry again on the potential match I had found for Rebel Ray
Did she answer you about your previous submission?
Carl wrote on the Ventura co JD thread that they ruled out the person I thought was her, they also ruled out 2 other missing women (interestingly it was on Gedmatch)

I guess the other scenario is that he was adopted in Germany/South America later on where he changed his name and might currently live. Seems that there is a good possibility that Jane Doe might have also later been adopted as well, considering the circumstances. Hopefully they will be able to solve the case, but it definitely seems like a grind.
Not sure about South America, I don't think there was the adoption of kids born in Germany from US servicemen to South America, I know there was immigration in post-war Germany to South America, but he was born from a US military man (western Germany hosted a big US military base, while Eastern Germany had Soviets).
As he was of African-American father it could be that he was adopted by another US military family who later went back to the US.

Did she answer you about your previous submission?
Carl wrote on the Ventura co JD thread that they ruled out the person I thought was her, they also ruled out 2 other missing women (interestingly it was on Gedmatch)
She had said that the family would be contacted for DNA testing, but I haven't heard since.

I wonder if Florida will reach out to help identify the Fort Myers 8. One of the Daniel Conahan's victims just got identified.

East Texas sheriff’s office turns to DNA to identify 2002 remains

In 2002, human bones were found by workers along highway 271 near Gladewater.

They were never identified.

But the Gregg county sheriff’s office, who worked successfully with the “DNA Doe” project to find the identity of “Lavender Doe” in 2019, have turned to them again.

And some progress has already been made.

“They have her tracked to the North Carolina, West Virginia area where she has some family roots. And their working through possible family members to see if we can get her identified,” said lieutenant Josh Tubb of the Gregg county sheriff’s office.

Did they ever fully fund Live Oak Doe? I was browsing their cases on their website and that case's funding meter was incomplete.

Did they ever fully fund Live Oak Doe? I was browsing their cases on their website and that case's funding meter was incomplete.
I don't think so, but I don't think they ask for any more funds on solved cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo