DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Three new cases, 2 from Tucson and one from a new county in Arizona, Santa Cruz County.

Sanford Maine Cemetery Doe is Edith Patten 1867- November 1891. She likely died of tuberculosis

Sanford Maine Cemetery Doe is Edith Patten 1867- November 1891. She likely died of tuberculosis

With those dates, she was older than they thought - wasn't Woodlawn Jane thought to be a child? '67 - '91 means she was in her twenties.

Sleep well, Edith.

With those dates, she was older than they thought - wasn't Woodlawn Jane thought to be a child? '67 - '91 means she was in her twenties.

Sleep well, Edith.
24 years… old very young, feel bad tuberculosos was a cause of death in this time still

Last edited:
Nogales John Doe is certainly an interesting case. Although the name Edward C was a false name, since he was wearing a C medallion, I'd think his real name, first or last, had something to do with a C, as it seems odd to wear something like that because of a fake name. I could not find a thread for him on here.

I wonder what the head surgery and scar was all about. I suppose he was likely seeking medical care in Mexico because it was less expensive than in the US, but he may have recieved bad medical care in Mexico, a not uncommon thing from what I've read. I wonder if his head injury had anything to do with his death.

Nogales John Doe is certainly an interesting case. Although the name Edward C was a false name, since he was wearing a C medallion, I'd think his real name, first or last, had something to do with a C, as it seems odd to wear something like that because of a fake name. I could not find a thread for him on here.

I wonder what the head surgery and scar was all about. I suppose he was likely seeking medical care in Mexico because it was less expensive than in the US, but he may have recieved bad medical care in Mexico, a not uncommon thing from what I've read. I wonder if his head injury had anything to do with his death.
If he is not a DDP case yet, you can always suggest, they know accept suggestions and they can contact the agency when they have resources

If he is not a DDP case yet, you can always suggest, they know accept suggestions and they can contact the agency when they have resources
Look further up the thread - he and two others were announced as new cases yesterday. That's why summergirl1 was talking about him.

The success stories page itself seems not to have been updated in a long time, it still doesn't have Hardin County John Doe and Carson City Jane Doe, and if you click onto it, Woodlawn Jane Doe disappears.

The success stories page itself seems not to have been updated in a long time, it still doesn't have Hardin County John Doe and Carson City Jane Doe, and if you click onto it, Woodlawn Jane Doe disappears.
I have noticed it is well, it looks like something goes wrong and they are listed in Active cases but if you click on it, it says that it is a success story

According to a new Sonoma Library article, on March 28, 2023 Margaret Press will make a virtual presentarion about history and development of the genetic genealogy. Per the article, the DDP solved more than 100 cases.

I’ve noticed that the Camp Fire victims are no longer listed as pending on the site, I wonder if they’ve all been identified.
It’s now listed under “success stories” but just says “several additional IDs have been made”.

Last edited:
It’s now listed under “success stories” but just says “several additional IDs have been made”.
In January 2019 Dr. Selden was put in contact with the DNA Doe Project to explore using whole genome sequencing, bioinformatics, and investigative genetic genealogy to attempt to identify the remaining victims. Since that time DDP has been working with the Sacramento County Coroner and ANDE Corporation in this endeavor. Several additional identifications have been made as a result, with ANDE generously covering all costs.

DDP is honored to be a part of this important effort and shares the hope that ultimately every victim will be identified, and every family will have an answer.

That implies that there are identifications still outstanding. But perhaps DDP isn't responsible for them any more, hence the case being moved to success. If the ones that couldn't be IDed were badly damaged, perhaps another agency who gets results from badly degraded remains is stepping up to the plate. Very much MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam
Back