DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In more familial terms, how close of a match is 30 cM ?
Vernon County Jane Doe's closest match is stubbornly close to being ''a close match''.
This is a case I have a particular interest in. Can they do anything with what they have ?

In more familial terms, how close of a match is 30 cM ?
Vernon County Jane Doe's closest match is stubbornly close to being ''a close match''.
This is a case I have a particular interest in. Can they do anything with what they have ?
It's kind of difficult to tell exactly what relation a family member has to you if the match is 30 cm. I'm currently looking at my own 23andme results and am looking at a match that I share exactly 30 cm with. We share .4% of the same DNA. It seems fairly distant so you could assume that Vernon County's highest match shares even less than .4% with her.

So, this woman I am matched with on 23andme and I share 3 segments of DNA. She is estimated to be my third to fifth cousin. It says we could share a set of great-great grandparents, be from different generations (removed cousins), or only share one ancestor (half cousins). I have NO IDEA who this person is and in fact, they live across the country from where I live.

Vernon County Jane Doe is going to be a difficult case. She doesn't even have one good match over 30 cm so I definitely believe it is going to take a while unless a closer family member opts in. I can't remember the matches for cases that were solved because I did not take screenshots. I do remember that Pillar Point Doe's highest match was a little bit above 50 cm, but he had like nine close matches.

Hope this gave you a bit of insight. I am hoping more people OPT IN on GedMatch. I have personally opted in and have many matches over 30 cm. I am 99% European so my DNA won't really assist in the cases where the Does are a minority.

Alachua County John Doe is an active case! I’m glad about this one. I donated to it earlier this year.
Splendid! Lime Lady is also now an active case. There has been an influx of active cases lately and that presentation I posted earlier indicates that the number of volunteers has nearly doubled. I'm curious regarding their pending cases, not much update on those and Summit County John Doe 2016 isn't even on the Facebook list.

Also regarding Alachua County John Doe, their website mentions difficulties in obtaining sufficient DNA and numerous attempts at bone extraction that resulted in this case becoming a pilot study for researching amplification and enrichment for other cases with low quality samples. I hope this bodes well for cases with similar issues like Julie Doe, Corona Girl and Rebel Ray.

Big update on their Facebook list!
Julie Doe is now undergoing re-sequencing.
Barron County John Doe from 2017 is undergoing sequencing, as are Rebel Ray and Corona Girl.
Birchwood John Doe is in bioinformatics, as are Kenosha John Doe, Pulaski County Jane Doe and Plainview Jane Doe.

Barron County John Doe from 2017 is undergoing sequencing, as are Rebel Ray and Corona Girl.
Birchwood John Doe is in bioinformatics, as are Kenosha John Doe, Pulaski County Jane Doe and Plainview Jane Doe.
Excellent!! Boy oh boy, someone mentioned it upthread, but it looks like DDP has got some good traction and really progressing in their work! It’s very exciting to be able to witness from its infancy! Lots of lives have already been changed and I expect there will be many many more to come!! :)

Birchwood John Doe is in bioinformatics, as are Kenosha John Doe, Pulaski County Jane Doe and Plainview Jane Doe.[/

that’s amazing!!! I’m pretty sure all of those cases (except Kenosha and Planview) had caused some issues.

You know what? I haven’t heard ANY updates about Houston John Doe (Dean Corrl’s victim) since he was added to the list. Any speculation about that? Maybe it is the police department or something. Taking too long to send the bone for extraction, I guess.

That's right...I don't know why there wouldn't be updates on Houston...they've not been ones to drag their feet when it comes to getting what needs to be done done. Hmmm. good question!

Sometimes people on Facebook ask them questions about cases, usually on the pinned post, and they often receive an answer. Margaret herself is very responsive to public inquiry. Someone can ask about Houston John Doe on Facebook. The list isn't always up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopE