Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone know if Skyline Elementary has vending machines? For chips, etc? If the school does then I wonder if the same people service or deal with vending machines outside of the school board? I wonder if these machines were being loaded that morning?

Very interesting question,IMO...

All JMO

What did you do to confirm that the person called in giving Grammy permisson was the parent with authority to do so? I've had to do this with my kids in pre-school and was grateful that they took my word over the phone. But if you're worried about abuse, nothing short of photo i.d. and signatures of permitted persons, confirmed by the authorizing person, and the authorized person, in person, at the time of the authorization and the pick up will do. And this NEVER happens. And that's fine with me.

I am not the original poster, but I was an emergency "pick-up person" for a friend of mine whose child was in a local elementary school. Each child had a folder (probably on computer, too!) and when parents called in to inform the school that someone else would be picking up their child, they had to use a "code" word. My friends code word was "housefly" which I thought was hilarious, but it truly was a word that would have been hard for someone else to guess! That school also had a policy of having xeroxed copies of driver's licenses of anyone who would be picking up the child. Both things were required: If the code word was not given OR if a copy of the DL wasn't in the file, the child was not released.

The school had my DL pic on hand, and they did have the pic out to compare! I was very, very impressed!

nor would it make a difference about what happened to him.

Cameras may well have made a difference. If, as on my local high-school campus, signs are strategically placed informing the students, staff and public that they are being filmed, then Terri (or whoever took Kyron) might have decided not to attempt to pull this off on school grounds. Of course, Kyron may have been abducted from other locations, but cameras would have been a simple security device to protect the school and the students.

At the very least, LE could have identified the person who took Kyron very early on and recovered him quickly.

This is why I firmly believe had there of been a camera or two in this school that day there would be no confusion on how Kyron left the school that morning. Meaning, the school wouldn't have to deal with any speculation on who took the child. Oh, and it would also probably help reduce many of the stress the students/parents have about dropping their children off at the schools in this area. Even though they say "there is no evidence to say this will happen again" doesn't mean that perps don't see the faults these schools have and want to take advantage of that. Kyrons case, this entire situation, shouldn't be vain. Time for the school to take action, IMO.

I totally agree.

It seems like Kaine Horman might indeed be looking into the possibility of culpability of the school. His curious language regarding security, not his wife, being the problem points to that, anyway. IMO.

I don't find his language to be curious, because as a parent, he had every right to expect the school to have adequate security to protect his son from danger. I really don't think it matters what direction danger came from, if Kyron was taken from school grounds without any security in place to protect him, then the school is liable. And it is just common sense, at least in my opinion, to point out that the lack of security had a play in this case.

When I re-read my post,it sounded quite accusatory... That was not my aim at all. I just want to be sure that my assumptions are accurate. I do not remember where I first read that Skyline has no security cameras. And I wanted to ask someone in the Skyline community.....

No Security cameras at Skyline....an online petition was started in June to get some before the school year starts. I don't believe that has happened thus far.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5518122/kyrons_law_sign_a_petition_to_mandate.html?cat=9

As a parent of two Skyline students, it pains me to see these kinds of accusations, especially from those who have no knowledge of the school and its procedures. Skyline does have sign in and sign out procedures and they are very safety conscious. Terri took advantage of what was to be a very hectic day and did her evil deed. She took advantage of a situation and manipulated the situation to make it seem like the school's fault.

I have no problem with sending my kids back to Skyline this fall as this was a family tragedy, and certainly not a school tragedy.:banghead:

With all respect, I have to point this out: the fact that someone was able to take advantage of a hectic day and remove a child without the school's knowledge means NO child is safe there, regardless of whether a family member was involved or not. If nothing changes in how Skyline handles the safety and security of its students, I would think a pedophile, a kidnapper, disturbed parents and even a serial killer of children would be able to enter school grounds on the next "hectic" day and manipulate the system with exactly the same result: someone's child would be gone, and no one would have a clue who took him/her. The school must take steps to prevent this from happening again, even if the steps are as simple as "we will follow our security measures even when it is not convenient." We are all suspecting TH as being the culprit here, and she may well be. But if she could do this, so could your friendly neighborhood child molester.

Skyline, and hopefully all schools nationwide, need to have security measures in place AND USE THEM, even on hectic days, ESPECIALLY on hectic days. All the unused security in the world cannot protect a flea, much less a child.

What I am trying to say, in a nutshell, is that if security measures have failed, and they failed spectacularly for Kyron, then something needs to be done.

From the handbook:

2/3 Team
2/3 Mrs. Karen Hanson . . . . . . . . . . . 215
2/3 Ms. Kristina Porter. . . . . . . . . . . . . 213
2/3 Mrs. Melissa Ritter. . . . . . . . . . . . . 217

Thank YOU!!!!! :)

Do you have a link to the handbook?

Thank YOU!!!!! :)

Do you have a link to the handbook?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5531037#post5531037"]Skyline school handbook, Skyline school factsheet - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If people want security measures in their schools, then they have to go ask the school board to do that. It is up to the taxpayers who pay the bills for the schools.

I have posted this before, but I will again. We have had issues like everywhere with the need to close schools because of declining enrollment. This has been going on for 20 years with HUGE fights in the community.

Five years ago we got a new gutsy superintendent and he got the ball rolling to have some of the old schools eliminated and new SECURE schools built.

Everyday in the paper here there are negative comments about these new schools being built. Everyday for five years since this process started in earnest.

Our old schools are nasty with issues, but they are a rabbits nest of warrens and no way to secure the buildings. The new schools are being built brilliantly with brilliant security.

So taxpayers, unite and ask for the money to be spent on school security. Good luck in your community, I hope it goes better for you than it has in mine.

BTW, the district had to take $130,000 out of the general fund to pay to stop a law suit that challenged the validity of these schools being built,

The superintendent has even received DEATH threats.

From the handbook:

2/3 Team
2/3 Mrs. Karen Hanson . . . . . . . . . . . 215
2/3 Ms. Kristina Porter. . . . . . . . . . . . . 213
2/3 Mrs. Melissa Ritter. . . . . . . . . . . . . 217

I guess that confirms that Kyrons classroom door is right next to the stairwell leading to the side door which leads to the stairs down the embankment which lead to the path around the soccer field which lead to the access road. I think, thanks to the great pictures posted here, it's pretty easy to visualize:
  • Terri and Kyron walking up the central staircase (the one leading from the lower level and the front/south exit door) after viewing the science projects downstairs ("His stepmother and he were in the school looking at the science fair, had been in 2 or 3 different classrooms. I am told he went up one stairwell, she went up the other stairwell. She saw him walking down the hall toward his classroom, and that’s the last she saw him.” (KATU 6/5) NOTE: the part about going up different stairwells makes no sense, given the layout and must have been inaccurate, IMO)
  • Terri turning right to exit through the east dooor to the parking lot and Kyron turning left to walk towards his classroom
  • Kyron runs into his friend T after a few steps ("He walked by the hallway and I'm like, Hi Kyron, and he's like Hi, I'm gonna go see this cool one, electric one." (KPTV 6/9) "I went downstairs and that was the last time I saw him, I never did see him after that.” (KOIN 6/11))
  • Terri walking around front to the truck parked on Skyline
  • Kyron checking out the project he wanted to see, probably in one of the classrooms down the west side of the upper hallway
  • Terri moving the truck up the access road
  • Kyron just walking down the stairwell outside his classroom, out the building and to the waiting truck
The only places Kyron would have been visible on that exit route to people inside the school, had anyone even been looking, would have been at the top of the interior stairs and the top of the exterior stairs - a few seconds total.

I wonder if the blinds in many of the rooms were still drawn from the previous day. The front of the school does face west somewhat and even though the previous day was generally cloudy the sun could have broken through in the afternoon. I ask this because Kyron's classroom seems extra dark in the pictures Terri took of Kyron and his front of their projects.

Like many of you have indicated, I don't think the school is technically "responsible" for whatever happened to Kyron; that blame can only be laid at the feet of the perp(s).

That being said, I think it's downright shameful that a child can go missing from a school relatively early in the morning, and no one figures out he's gone until much later.

I'm not sure if it was just general incompetence, poor policy, or a unique set of random and unfortunate miscommunications, but schools need airtight check-out procedures in today's day and age. Of course, stranger abductions from inside schools are indeed rare, but there are other good reasons for having tight school security. Many of today's parents are divorced or separated, and non-custodial parents can easily use children as a way to "get back" at the other parent. In addition, we all know that a lot of harm can come to children via mommy's shady new boyfriend or daddy's suspicious new girlfriend, and these individuals have also been known to put kids in the middle. Finally, a commitment to security reinforces the notion of taking school seriously -- an attitude that is certainly worth instilling in both kids and parents. If kids aren't at school, people need to notice and take action, for reasons involving both safety and morale.

Well, I'm just going by all the reports that there were no sign in procedures. And by my own sense of logic - which admittedly ain't what it used to be - that if there was a sign out procedure, we wouldn't be where we are today.

So. What time did Terri sign in that morning, and who signed Kyron out and at what time? And why hasn't this sign in/out procedure ever been mentioned in the press in regards to specifics about what happened to Kyron?

TIA

There was no sign in that day--the day of the IB exhibit. Can you imagine waiting in line for an hour to sign in before heading out to look at the exhibits? Who would do that? It was suspended for that special event. It simply could not work to expect every parent to sign in that morning. Too many.

Under normal day to day circumstances, there is a sign in sheet. All visitors must report to the office upon entering the school.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/...ool/?action=view&current=SkylineSchool016.jpg

The writing on the window says "visitors report to office" and the paper says "Please use main entrance only."

If any blame must be assigned to the school, it would be holding a public event before school instead of evening hours.

If people want security measures in their schools, then they have to go ask the school board to do that. It is up to the taxpayers who pay the bills for the schools.

I have posted this before, but I will again. We have had issues like everywhere with the need to close schools because of declining enrollment. This has been going on for 20 years with HUGE fights in the community.

Five years ago we got a new gutsy superintendent and he got the ball rolling to have some of the old schools eliminated and new SECURE schools built.

Everyday in the paper here there are negative comments about these new schools being built. Everyday for five years since this process started in earnest.

Our old schools are nasty with issues, but they are a rabbits nest of warrens and no way to secure the buildings. The new schools are being built brilliantly with brilliant security.

So taxpayers, unite and ask for the money to be spent on school security. Good luck in your community, I hope it goes better for you than it has in mine.

BTW, the district had to take $130,000 out of the general fund to pay to stop a law suit that challenged the validity of these schools being built,

The superintendent has even received DEATH threats.

Human, I don't think anyone is arguing that people just blindly turned their eyes...not at all...they are mearly saying that the lack of security has indeed contributed to the position the investigation is in today...that's it.

We all feel for the state your community is in, many of us are right there with you! And in my opinion, it is a good percentage of the reason that Kyron's case has drawn so much attention - it has literally scared the bageezus out of many of us!

Know that our prayers are not in anyway solely directed to Kyron and his family...our wish, with Kyron as the representation of that, is for all children to be treated and cared for as well as those precious garments that are safe and secure in all of our malls...better yet, like the jewlery & art in the store next to them.

[[[hugs]]]

Many of today's parents are divorced or separated, and non-custodial parents can easily use children as a way to "get back" at the other parent. In addition, we all know that a lot of harm can come to children via mommy's shady new boyfriend or daddy's suspicious new girlfriend, and these individuals have also been known to put kids in the middle.

<respectfully snipped>

And bullying in schools!

There was no sign in that day--the day of the IB exhibit. Can you imagine waiting in line for an hour to sign in before heading out to look at the exhibits? Who would do that? It was suspended for that special event. It simply could not work to expect every parent to sign in that morning. Too many.

Under normal day to day circumstances, there is a sign in sheet. All visitors must report to the office upon entering the school.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/...ool/?action=view&current=SkylineSchool016.jpg

The writing on the window says "visitors report to office" and the paper says "Please use main entrance only."

If any blame must be assigned to the school, it would be holding a public event before school instead of evening hours.

Yes, I know the lack of sign in procedures was for days like that day when there were special events. Please see my subsequent posts.

Skyline prepares for start of school year without Kyron

Skyline Elementary School administrators are working to make sure that returning to class will be as easy on students as possible, even though their classmate Kyron Horman is still missing.
Kyron vanished after attending a science fair at Skyline on June 4, just before school was out for the summer.

Background: Kyron Horman investigation
Portland Public Schools spokesman Matt Shelby told KGW as long as Kyron remains missing, nothing will ever be completely back to normal at Skyline. But teachers, principals, administrators and parents have been discussing how they can make it as normal as it can be.

Many parents have said they dread the return of reporters and photographers on campus. But Skyline parent Don Kruger said he knows that&#8217;s all part of the new reality at the school, given the situation.
&#8220;I think we're going to go back to school the first day and the media is going to be across the street and there's going to be a lot of attention,&#8221; he said. &#8220;But I think we're kind of used to it and I think we'll be ok.&#8221;

Classes will resume on September 7th but school officially opens next Monday for registration. There will be extra counselors at the school, to help students and staff cope, along with "safe rooms" and continual check-ins with parents.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Skyline-prepares-for-start-of-school-year-without-Kyron-101074399.html

This may be totally inappropriate, but something is kinda bugging me...

Intel, a technical/computer/software/hardware business is ding pretty well for itself, right?

I mean it's not like this business has been hit as hard as some others, ya?

And how much would you guestimate a security system in a measly little elementary school would cost?

Why haven't they stepped up to the plate yet...do they actually have this type of equiptment? Pfff, what does it matter...with their connections & clients, I bet they could have a whole state of the art system installed in days and at a nice write off for them as well...how many of their employees go to Skyline? What the heck are they waiting on? And while I'm at it...why haven't they forked over a nice donation to the reward fund?

Like I said, perhaps totally off topic, maybe even inappropriate, but I don't get it!!!

School is about to start...hey Intel, give these children & parents some peace of mind huh? Be a sport!

Intel, a technical/computer/software/hardware business is ding pretty well for itself, right?

And how much would you guestimate a security system in a measly little elementary school would cost?

Why haven't they stepped up to the plate yet...do they actually have this type of equiptment? Pfff, what does it matter...with their connections & clients, I bet they could have a whole state of the art system installed in days and at a nice write off for them as well...how many of their employees go to Skyline? What the heck are they waiting on? And while I'm at it...why haven't they forked over a nice donation to the reward fund?

Like I said, perhaps totally off topic, maybe even inappropriate, but I don't get it!!!

School is about to start...hey Intel, give these children & parents some peace of mind huh? Be a sport!

Because that would be patently unfair to the other hundred-and-some schools in the Portland school district. Regardless of this incident, I think Skyline is one of the safest schools. There are others that would need it much more.

And most Intel employees probably live in Hillsboro and Beaverton.

What a great idea, Bring! I really like the idea of businesses sponsoring such things as security systems in schools. They're not horribly expensive from a corporate standpoint, it's good for the company's image, and of course, most importantly, it helps the children.

Maybe a local could give a call to the branch of Intel where Kaine works, maybe start with Human Resources, and suggest it as an idea for Skyline.

Children at Skyline are going to be nervous, as well as parents, and this would be just the ticket to help set their minds at ease, and let the children get off to a new school year with a better ability to concentrate on their studies, and have fun too.

It might even inspire some other businesses to step up and offer the same to local schools, or for parents of students at other schools to ask around where they work to see if their own company might sponsor a security system.

Good, proactive thinking for the kids, Bring. :)

Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow over on the other side of the country where I live, and see if I can inspire some companies over here to do the same here. :)

The school did not follow its own security measures, as outlined in the school policy book, because, as you've pointed out, it would have been inconvenient to the school staff and visitors. However, they seem to have had NO policy for busy days, days in which the campus was open to anyone who cared to walk through the doors. That's just foolish and dangerous, as has been demonstrated by the fact that someone was able to remove a child from school grounds with no one noticing.

If a sign in sheet is logistically impossible on days such as Science Fair day, then the district needs to either suspend such events OR develop a plan that will work. Having such events in the evening would be an honest attempt to move in the right direction, but if they suspend security measures for evening events, it isn't going to prevent the exact same thing from happening again.

Yes, I know the lack of sign in procedures was for days like that day when there were special events. Please see my subsequent posts.

Howdy, BeanE! Just wanted to tell you that so often I agree with you, enjoy reading your posts.

What'cha want to bet there are going to be some improvements in security before the next "open campus" event in that district?

As much as the school may want to give the public impression that they are not to blame, they know things need to be changed. Good grief, imagine if they made no improvements and someone else goes insane and takes another child???? The liability would be off the charts.

Editing to add: I know in my area, it is not unusual for armed off duty police officers to be hired to provide security when our campuses are open to the public.

Early Release
Students leaving school prior to dismissal
time need a signed note stating
the time and purpose. For security purposes,
students will come to the office
where they will be released to the parent/
adult. Parents must sign their student
out from the office. We ask that
parents do not go directly to the classroom
to pick up their child.
Students can be released to individuals
on the District’s signed registration
card only. A written note is required if
a person other than the child’s parents
are picking up a student from school.
Photo identification will be required

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/files/school-skyline/Parent_Handbook_2008-Final.pdf

Seems to me it be the school's responsibility to follow up on Kyron's absence if he was not checked out by a parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatMeryl