Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Release
Students leaving school prior to dismissal
time need a signed note stating
the time and purpose. For security purposes,
students will come to the office
where they will be released to the parent/
adult. Parents must sign their student
out from the office. We ask that
parents do not go directly to the classroom
to pick up their child.
Students can be released to individuals
on the District’s signed registration
card only. A written note is required if
a person other than the child’s parents
are picking up a student from school.
Photo identification will be required

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/files/school-skyline/Parent_Handbook_2008-Final.pdf

Seems to me it be the school's responsibility to follow up on Kyron's absence if he was not checked out by a parent.

But I think the problem was that he was never checked IN. This policy is for those that have already been accounted for during attendance and then need to leave early. The Science Fair started before school began. IMO this was the big mistake made by the school. Of course it's hindsight now.

ETA: Agreeing with Bean above that special events need to be addressed. Not only at this school but mine as well! :(

Early Release
Students leaving school prior to dismissal
time need a signed note stating
the time and purpose. For security purposes,
students will come to the office
where they will be released to the parent/
adult. Parents must sign their student
out from the office. We ask that
parents do not go directly to the classroom
to pick up their child.
Students can be released to individuals
on the District’s signed registration
card only. A written note is required if
a person other than the child’s parents
are picking up a student from school.
Photo identification will be required

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/files/school-skyline/Parent_Handbook_2008-Final.pdf

Seems to me it be the school's responsibility to follow up on Kyron's absence if he was not checked out by a parent.

Well then. Case solved. Since the teacher's understanding was that Terri took Kyron to the doctor (or anywhere else), then the teacher has a note signed by Terri, and the office has Terri's signature where she checked him out at the office.

This is great news! Thanks so much for finding this, gliving.

I wonder what in the world all the confusion is about.

But I think the problem was that he was never checked IN. This policy is for those that have already been accounted for during attendance and then need to leave early. The Science Fair started before school began. IMO this was the big mistake made by the school. Of course it's hindsight now.

ETA: Agreeing with Bean above that special events need to be addressed. Not only at this school but mine as well! :(

I don't see anything in the handbook about checking in. Plenty of people including school staff, the head of the PTA, and Kyron's teacher saw him there and participating in the science fair.

This is crystal clear. If the whole 'teacher thought he went with Terri for a doctor's appointment' thing is true, then there will be both a signed note by Terri, and her check out signature at the office.

Additionally, Kyron usually took the bus. So if Terri was taking him to the doctor or anywhere else, there will be more documentation, signed by her:

Temporary Changes or
Alternate Pickup Plans
On occasion, student’s regular after
school destinations or method of transportation
changes. Students need written
permission to go home with another
student/adult or ride a different
bus. With exceptions for emergencies,
these alternate plans must be made
prior to the start of the school day. It
is important that any emergency
changes be made by 2:00 in order to
insure that the message is able to be
passed along to your child's teacher. A
written note is required before a bus
pass can be issued. If a student does
not have a note, he/she will ride his/her
regular bus, or be sent to his/her
“normal” destination

This discussion has reminded me of something that I had not thought about in many years. I hope it doesn't seem too far OT because I realize now that I shouldn't have made a big deal about an attendance issue.

When my DD was in elementary school (and beyond, also) she was active in many local theatre productions. While in 4th and 5th grade, she had the opportunity to perform as a child actor in two college shows. Since the productions were holiday offerings, there were student matinees during the run of the show. The 4th and 5th grade classes, teachers, and chaperones from her school attended both productions.

Because my DD had to be at the theatre about an hour prior to curtain, I picked her up at lunch time to drive to campus. The 4th grade teacher marked her absent that afternoon even though she was in the same place that her classmates and teachers were. I was puzzled about this and asked him why he marked her absent, and he said it was because she wasn't "in class" at that time. The following year, 5th grade teacher didn't bother with reporting DD as absent on the afternoon of the play.

In hindsight, I realize that the 4th grade teacher was acting responsibly because my DD was not in his care nor was she in the care of the school on those half days. If something had happened to us on our trip to and from the campus theatre, the school could not have been held accountable. jmo

I'm not sure where to post this....But, if TH was saying that Kyron was acting differently, how come there was not a conference with his teacher about it. Was he acting differently around them or just TH? IF he knew something that was going on, obviously, he was afraid. It makes me wonder if there was some type of abuse going on. WHy was no one, including his mother questioning, why he did not want to go home. If you make a child comfortable enough, they will tell what is going on. I feel Kyron had no one to talk to about what was going on. It is so sad.

Please parents, if you notice a change in your child, please find out what is going on and take care of it.

I don't see anything in the handbook about checking in. Plenty of people including school staff, the head of the PTA, and Kyron's teacher saw him there and participating in the science fair.

This is crystal clear. If the whole 'teacher thought he went with Terri for a doctor's appointment' thing is true, then there will be both a signed note by Terri, and her check out signature at the office.

Additionally, Kyron usually took the bus. So if Terri was taking him to the doctor or anywhere else, there will be more documentation, signed by her:

Temporary Changes or
Alternate Pickup Plans
On occasion, student’s regular after
school destinations or method of transportation
changes. Students need written
permission to go home with another
student/adult or ride a different
bus. With exceptions for emergencies,
these alternate plans must be made
prior to the start of the school day. It
is important that any emergency
changes be made by 2:00 in order to
insure that the message is able to be
passed along to your child's teacher. A
written note is required before a bus
pass can be issued. If a student does
not have a note, he/she will ride his/her
regular bus, or be sent to his/her
“normal” destination

By "checking in" I mean he was never marked "here" at attendance time. The policies are referring to after a student is accounted for during attendance. Again, I think the school bears some responsibility for their lack of security during these special events. There is also some questions about written rules not being followed to a "T" as I know in our school which is similar in size...you can read the handbook all you want but that doesn't mean that sometimes rules aren't loosened as we all know each other. Many of the parents who are well known at the school, volunteer often, sometimes daily, do not sign in every time.

By "checking in" I mean he was never marked "here" at attendance time. The policies are referring to after a student is accounted for during attendance. Again, I think the school bears some responsibility for their lack of security during these special events. There is also some questions about written rules not being followed to a "T" as I know in our school which is similar in size...you can read the handbook all you want but that doesn't mean that sometimes rules aren't loosened as we all know each other. Many of the parents who are well known at the school, volunteer often, sometimes daily, do not sign in every time.

Where do you see that in the handbook about the policies only referring to after a student's attendance has been taken? Where are you getting that from?

Would the teacher be in error for not taking attendance at the 8:45 bell when school is scheduled to begin?

Kyron's regular classroom studies were delayed until 10:00 so they could attend the science fair, however the scheduled start for the school day on June 4th was 8:45.

Agreed. When a child tries to tell the teacher that his friend is missing, and a substitute (or whoever the person was, volunteer?) and the teacher says "oh, he's probably in the bathroom" something is really wrong.

Great minds are thinking alike! I earlier opened a thread to discuss school-related abductions.

Abductions or Attempted Abductions Involving Schools - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I agree. Especially if the aide or whomever, after mentioning the child being missing is told, "calm down, calm down, he's probably getting water", or whatever, but then when the child fails to reappear there is no follow up. That is ridiculous if true.
I'm just not sure it is though. I have yet to see an article on panic in the community about a possible abduction from the school and thus my sense is most parents think this was a family issue not a school/stranger one.
But I don't know. Since the media have nothing much to report and school is going to start soon, maybe that would be a good article to write.

Where do you see that in the handbook about the policies only referring to after a student's attendance has been taken? Where are you getting that from?

Well I guess I'm just assuming...maybe in error...that the school is asking for a parent to sign them out after they've been accounted for in their classroom. The big 'ole gray area of the time the morning of the Science Fair was completely lax in my opinion. Like I said, that event was not handled well at all. The confusion about the doctor's appointment...I can just see that happening at our school so easily.

Would the teacher be in error for not taking attendance at the 8:45 bell when school is scheduled to begin?

Kyron's regular classroom studies were delayed until 10:00 so they could attend the science fair, however the scheduled start for the school day on June 4th was 8:45.

I'm very interested in knowing about that because of children who arrived at the school that day via bus, or walking to school, or were dropped off at the curb, etc. Very interested. Some buses dropped off as early as 8:25 IIRC. Who was responsible for making sure the children went into the school and got to their classroom? Did no one check or care about those children for an hour and a half? Could anyone could have taken those children out of the school without that required written note or check out at the office?

Lord God, what a mess.

I'm very interested in knowing about that because of children who arrived at the school that day via bus, or walking to school, or were dropped off at the curb, etc. Very interested. Some buses dropped off as early as 8:25 IIRC. Who was responsible for making sure the children went into the school and got to their classroom? Did no one check or care about those children for an hour and a half? Could anyone could have taken those children out of the school without that required written note or check out at the office?

Lord God, what a mess.

I think that's a great question. I know in some schools, the children that are dropped off early, go directly to a specific area such as the gym until it's time to head to their classrooms. I wonder if Skyline had such a policy or if they had early care. I can't remember if that was mentioned already. ??

I just read at the Skyline website that they had before school care that began at 7:00, and after school care until 6:00 pm.

The program required enrollment and wasn't just a drop in type thing.

I have the perfect example of how school events should be run:

This was the first week of school for my kids. Today, the kindergarten classes did "Parents Day". We could go in and have our kids give us a tour of their class and the school, tell us about the process of their day.

All kids were to report to their class as normal (8:10). After attendence was taken, you let the teacher know you were there for the tour and were told to have the kids back in class by 8:50. She said if you were going to be leaving with your child (as some were half day anyways), you must check out with her and the office. When I returned my son to his class, the teacher was telling the kids to remain in their seats until attendance was taken again. There was also two staff members at the two main entrances and ones monitoring the side doors.

That is how a school should handle events! Proud to say that is my childs school!

I have the perfect example of how school events should be run:

This was the first week of school for my kids. Today, the kindergarten classes did "Parents Day". We could go in and have our kids give us a tour of their class and the school, tell us about the process of their day.

All kids were to report to their class as normal (8:10). After attendence was taken, you let the teacher know you were there for the tour and were told to have the kids back in class by 8:50. She said if you were going to be leaving with your child (as some were half day anyways), you must check out with her and the office. When I returned my son to his class, the teacher was telling the kids to remain in their seats until attendance was taken again. There was also two staff members at the two main entrances and ones monitoring the side doors.

That is how a school should handle events! Proud to say that is my childs school!

BBM So what would have happened if your child didn't make it to the classroom by 8:10 in time for attendance? What if you were there and thought your child was at the door of his classroom but he never made it inside? What if your teacher thought she heard you say you were going to a Doc appointment? And I know you said there were staff members monitoring the doors. Would they have stopped a parent from leaving if they said we're heading to a Doctor appointment? I'm just throwing out scenarios....

Reiterating though that I think Skyline bears some responsibility for the chaos of that morning and no policy to handle it.

I just read at the Skyline website that they had before school care that began at 7:00, and after school care until 6:00 pm.

The program required enrollment and wasn't just a drop in type thing.

Thanks for looking that up. Just wondering though what system they had. Do the early drop off kids go to the Science Fair anytime? Starting at 8:00? I think Bean had a good question about how that part worked that day or any day for that matter. At our School the before care kids arrive at the Gym entrance and cannot wander around the school. They go to their classrooms after the front door is officially opened at 8:00am. But they do so all by themselves. No one walks them to class.

BBM So what would have happened if your child didn't make it to the classroom by 8:10 in time for attendance? If we had been late, I would have still checked in with his teacher before heading out for the tour

What if you were there and thought your child was at the door of his classroom but he never made it inside? Just me, but I watch my son walk inside

What if your teacher thought she heard you say you were going to a Doc appointment? Then I would be checking my son out with her and the office. It wouldn't be a matter of "I think I heard her say such and such"

And I know you said their were staff members monitoring the doors. Would they have stopped a parent from leaving if they said we're heading to a Doctor appointment? I think they are there more for supervision. For one, I doubt a stranger will try to remove a child with staff members standing at the door. Two, if I child did turn up missing, hopefully said staff members would be able to say "I saw him leave with his mom"

I'm just throwing out scenarios....

Reiterating though that I think Skyline bears some responsibility for the chaos of that morning and no policy to handle it.

Red by me -- Just my thoughts as a parent

Red by me -- Just my thoughts as a parent

Thanks for sharing them! ;) Your school sounds lovely!

I was just trying to apply your schools very good security to this scenario. If TH is guilty of something, your system wouldn't have made a difference with the exception of the part about a staff member seeing TH leaving with Kyron.

Thanks for sharing them! ;) Your school sounds lovely!

I was just trying to apply your schools very good security to this scenario. If TH is guilty of something, your system wouldn't have made a difference with the exception of the part about a staff member seeing TH leaving with Kyron.

A staff member saw Terri leave with Kyron??

A staff member saw Terri leave with Kyron??

No,No...that would be applying YellowSubmarine's school policy for a special event at Skyline. She mentioned staff members monitored their doors for Parents day. I said if that had been in place then a staff member would have seen TH (or someone else) leaving with Kyron...or Kyron leaving on his own. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody