Dr. Sievers' RHHC Medical Practice - Operations & Website

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Medical records have to be securely stored, HIPPA standards absolutely apply. One requirement deals with proper retention of the medical records for a time after the doctor-patient relationship ends. The same rules that applied to the storage of medical records when the business was active, probably apply during the retention period, IIRC is 7 years? I haven't researched whether in FL, storing medical records in locked file cabinets in a garage even temporarily is a violation of MS's duty to retain and safeguard the records.

JMO, if I were MS I would send those files to a company in the business of storing records. Iron Mountain, for example, will pick up boxes of files and store them in a disaster proof area that is completely secure. No worries, no clutter. You can even set a 'destruction' date for when the retention period ends.

True, and we don't know that he didn't do just that. I would hope he has some good legal advice about the practical mechanics of closing the practice. :/ Brings up an idea for a business: how to CLOSE a business. Sad, but I think there would be a market for that. Gosh, there are all kinds of people to help you start a business and open an office or practice of all kinds. As far as the delivery van at his home, there are all kinds of other things he would have brought home.

I have a question. Is the same brand of "supplements" the same as his e-mail to patients in the last few days? I am stuck on why a Doctor would also sell "supplements" of one certain brand within their practice.

Secondly it seems to me that the main concern is to maintain the business of selling those supplements. In looking up the manufacturer in Orlando, it seems that they are available from WM and others as well. Why buy them from MS at this point?

https://www.xymogen.com/

More questions than answers and JMO's

I have a question. Is the same brand of "supplements" the same as his e-mail to patients in the last few days? I am stuck on why a Doctor would also sell "supplements" of one certain brand within their practice.

Secondly it seems to me that the main concern is to maintain the business of selling those supplements. In looking up the manufacturer in Orlando, it seems that they are available from WM and others as well. Why buy them from MS at this point?

https://www.xymogen.com/

More questions than answers and JMO's

MS gets a commission on sales I would think.

Bit like selling cosmetics online. Customers use salespersons ID number and salesperson receives a % of sales.

MS gets a commission on sales I would think.

Bit like selling cosmetics online. Customers use salespersons ID number and salesperson receives a % of sales.

TS told me that they did receive a commission. She had a "code phrase" that would allow the supplement company to charge the patient at her cost, if she felt the patient should not be charged the normal fee.

FWIW: I believe the rule of confidential paper records is that they be "kept under double locks" meaning, in a locked file cabinet in a locked room. Electronic records must be stored on an encrypted, password protected computer or server, they must also have a dedicated back up system (removable encrypted hard drive, secure storage cloud, etc).

Incoming Records: I understood her practice to be paperless. As labs and records came in, they would be scanned into electronic client files and the hardcopies shredded. IMO

Her practice records: During my office visits, she would type the notes as we spoke into my electronic record, that note was printed and sent home with me along with any lab reports. It is MOO, that MS does not have "boxes" of client records sitting in his garage.

With that said, a paperless office is only as good as the person in charge of scanning them in, so theoretically, yes there could be boxes and boxes, but it would be incoming labs, other tests, and incoming records from other professionals.

IMO, they were good about their scanning, because TS could pull up my reports from another doc in 10 seconds flat!

I find it creepy that he has patients records at his home. Especially now knowing he has friends in low places. I also think if it had come out about CWW,s past and his connection to the practice it would have damaged her practice. jmo.

I find it even creepier that he has kids & dogs in his home.

FWIW: I believe the rule of confidential paper records is that they be "kept under double locks" meaning, in a locked file cabinet in a locked room. Electronic records must be stored on an encrypted, password protected computer or server, they must also have a dedicated back up system (removable encrypted hard drive, secure storage cloud, etc).

Incoming Records: I understood her practice to be paperless. As labs and records came in, they would be scanned into electronic client files and the hardcopies shredded. IMO

Her practice records: During my office visits, she would type the notes as we spoke into my electronic record, that note was printed and sent home with me along with any lab reports. It is MOO, that MS does not have "boxes" of client records sitting in his garage.

With that said, a paperless office is only as good as the person in charge of scanning them in, so theoretically, yes there could be boxes and boxes, but it would be incoming labs, other tests, and incoming records from other professionals.

IMO, they were good about their scanning, because TS could pull up my reports from another doc in 10 seconds flat!

I agree. Our records may have been "at home" all along...at least accessible from home.

Medical records have to be securely stored, HIPPA standards absolutely apply. One requirement deals with proper retention of the medical records for a time after the doctor-patient relationship ends. The same rules that applied to the storage of medical records when the business was active, probably apply during the retention period, IIRC is 7 years? I haven't researched whether in FL, storing medical records in locked file cabinets in a garage even temporarily is a violation of MS's duty to retain and safeguard the records.

JMO, if I were MS I would send those files to a company in the business of storing records. Iron Mountain, for example, will pick up boxes of files and store them in a disaster proof area that is completely secure. No worries, no clutter. You can even set a 'destruction' date for when the retention period ends.

Jumping off your post, I asked my DH MD what he is required to do with patient charts. He still does paper lol. He stated that HIPAA recommends keeping the records for 3 years on adults, and for 3 years after a pediatric patient turns 18. He has to keep stored charts in a double locked "facility", which is actually a space in his office that is double locked with no exterior access. He said that the patient owns the information and the doctor owns the paper which is why some doctors charge for copies of the patient chart.

Each patient chart has "value" which is why physicians will sell their practice upon retiring to another physician that seems to come with all the equipment and patients. Patients are free to transfer to another physician of their choice, but many seem to stay with "the new doctor".

Is this why MS held on to the practice/records so long? Trying to find a physician to buy it? Because the more patient charts you have, mo' money. In the email, he recommends another physician at another location. Did the practice do this initially also? TIA

Jumping off your post, I asked my DH MD what he is required to do with patient charts. He still does paper lol. He stated that HIPAA recommends keeping the records for 3 years on adults, and for 3 years after a pediatric patient turns 18. He has to keep stored charts in a double locked "facility", which is actually a space in his office that is double locked with no exterior access. He said that the patient owns the information and the doctor owns the paper which is why some doctors charge for copies of the patient chart.

Each patient chart has "value" which is why physicians will sell their practice upon retiring to another physician that seems to come with all the equipment and patients. Patients are free to transfer to another physician of their choice, but many seem to stay with "the new doctor".

Is this why MS held on to the practice/records so long? Trying to find a physician to buy it? Because the more patient charts you have, mo' money. In the email, he recommends another physician at another location. Did the practice do this initially also? TIA

Very informative post, thanks! TS's practice used EMR, I'm not sure if she kept paper copies too. IIRC, MS held on to the records, despite requests for transfer, citing "IT issues" and difficulty going to the office due to the media. Initially, the practice did refer patients to Dr. Pati(?) on a temporary basis, right after TS was murdered. That doctor has an office in Orlando, which wasn't feasible for most of TS's patients. I wonder if the 'it issues' existed when Dr. Pati needed records from MS for those temporary patients?:thinking:

Exactly, MS delayed releasing the medical records because the value of the practice was dependent upon the number of charts he retained. Let's face it, he was sitting on a gold mine...an entire practice made up of cash pay patients. Selling the practice was his plan B after his first plan (running the practice with a new doc didn't work out). But like everything else he screwed up. I can't wait to learn what plan C is.

I keep checking every day to see if he has been arrested. I hope there is resolution soon for everyone's sake. I imagine the neighbors are extremely uncomfortable not knowing if he hired someone to murder his wife. jmo.

I saw a news report on the news last night on ABC17 News in Columbia MO. I cant find the link to it but here is an article relating to the same thing. MO is the ONLY state that does NOT have a drug registry database. I believe it could be that prescriptions could be made in FLA and filled all over MO and shipped in supplement labeled bottles. What a business model.

JMO

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/u...esisting-prescription-drug-database.html?_r=0

Not having the database has not only hampered Missouri’s ability to combat prescription drug abuse, but also attracted people from neighboring states looking to stockpile pills and bring them home to take themselves or sell to others, according to law enforcement officials, legislators and data compiled by a prescription drug processing firm.

I saw a news report on the news last night on ABC17 News in Columbia MO. I cant find the link to it but here is an article relating to the same thing. MO is the ONLY state that does NOT have a drug registry database. I believe it could be that prescriptions could be made in FLA and filled all over MO and shipped in supplement labeled bottles. What a business model.

JMO

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/u...esisting-prescription-drug-database.html?_r=0

Not having the database has not only hampered Missouri’s ability to combat prescription drug abuse, but also attracted people from neighboring states looking to stockpile pills and bring them home to take themselves or sell to others, according to law enforcement officials, legislators and data compiled by a prescription drug processing firm.

Not sure if you are talking about this link?

http://www.abc17news.com/news/authorities-investigating-illegal-pill-rings-in-midmissouri/36128874

-Nin

I believe there is a connection to computers, drugs, prescriptions, CWW and the clinic. JMO

JMO

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/us...base.html?_r=0

NoItsNot help me find the other link:

"According to court documents obtained by ABC 17 on Thursday, employees at Hils Pharmacy in Moberly contacted the State Highway Patrol about several people trying get prescriptions filled for pain killers that were written by a doctor in Florida."

ETA

http://www.abc17news.com/news/authorities-investigating-illegal-pill-rings-in-midmissouri/36128874

Great catch, jggordo! There we have a nice Missouri/Kentucky/Florida meds corridor! The idea to fill supplement labeled bottles with prescription meds (FL precriptions) in MO and ship them all over the place is quite the business model, you are right!

Thanks for the post!

-Nin

If the pill mill was all working and lucrative , a like-minded Dr. would have been a perfect way to extend the money flow. ....That is till they found out......

Thank you for info, jggordo! CWW is criminally minded, based on his extensive criminal history, combined with Greg Bolin stating in his 10/29/15 interview with Tricia that CWW stole from everyone he worked for in addition to Missouri's lax laws on prescription drugs, I strongly suspect that CWW may have been doing something illegal regarding drugs and Dr. Seivers's practice. At this point, I would be surprised if he didn't at least try to.

If the pill mill was all working and lucrative , a like-minded Dr. would have been a perfect way to extend the money flow. ....That is till they found out......

Hmmm. Sounds possible since IIRC, the doctor MS initially had in mind reportedly backed out due to legal reasons.

With pads of prescription pads in the office IMO TS would not even know about it. But she may have found out. With MS keeping his MO telephone number it would be easy to set up another "office" there. Could even order a set of prescription pads or that location too. With no oversight in MO and using multiple "patients" it could be MO MONEY...MO MONEY!

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485
Back