Dr. Teresa Sievers - Alternate Motives and Theories (NOT involving MS)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised no home schoolers have chimed in. I understand it is highly regulated and monitored. I would think they would follow the school "seasons" also. Plus if MS was the office manager, they would almost have to hire someone for that. Due to the amount of regulation, the school day is not much different than a traditional day, just the location happens to be at home. The traditional school systems within the US are taking a lot of heat for poor quality education, also everyone is concerned about school safety these days with drugs, bullying, abuse and shootings. Homeschooling is becoming more popular all the time. I would love to have that opportunity.

I am a homeschooler, and there is NO WAY I could help manage a medical practice on the side. It's very much like a full-time job.

Sandra is not a nurse. That was ascertained by several sleuthers. What was her job? Wasn't there another person in the office, too?

With the high regard TS had for education, I would think that she would want someone with a grasp of the rules of English to be teaching the children. I think it is hard to write an essay or a research paper if he cannot provide proper instruction.

I wonder if that bugged her as well.

So MS was the office manager, which I agree with bvstrish, should have been a full time job.

Sooo, when does he do his other full time job, home schooling his two kids? There are only so many hours in the day, know what I mean?

It's probably neither here nor there, especially if MS is not involved. Just seems like he would have been spread a little thin I guess.

Homeschooling isn't full-time in the same way of an outside job or a public school day. It's a much more concentrated and learning-rich environment. It's more efficient, time-effective and flexible to an extent. A lot of the office work would have been able to have been done from home, too.

Homeschooling isn't full-time in the same way of an outside job or a public school day. It's a much more concentrated and learning-rich environment. It's more efficient, time-effective and flexible to an extent. A lot of the office work would have been able to have been done from home, too.

I think it is like being on your phone when other people are around. Either you are engaged or you are not. Sure he could do other things, but he is not focusing on the children and their work.

Learning is about interacting and exchanging ideas and information. Hard to do that when you are doing another job.

So MS was the office manager, which I agree with bvstrish, should have been a full time job.

Sooo, when does he do his other full time job, home schooling his two kids? There are only so many hours in the day, know what I mean?

It's probably neither here nor there, especially if MS is not involved. Just seems like he would have been spread a little thin I guess.

Quite a while back, it was stated that the girls had a tutor. I don't know any more details and don't recall where this came from, so you may want to take it with a grain of salt. Maybe NIN or someone knows where to find it.

I think it is like being on your phone when other people are around. Either you are engaged or you are not. Sure he could do other things, but he is not focusing on the children and their work.

Learning is about interacting and exchanging ideas and information. Hard to do that when you are doing another job.

Learning is about interacting and exchanging ideas and information. - I love that quote. I wish more teachers/schools would actually enforce that. So much is babysitting, even back in the 70's. It sucked. And yes, it is hard to homeschool when you have an outside job and yet people do it.

I didn't mean he'd be multi-tasking. In fact, people have posted that he's a controlling person, so I can't imagine he'd slack off about his kidlets. I suppose anything is possible. Remote office work can be done before school starts, after school, the evenings, the middle of the night. I know you know that :) Same as any other parent who homeschools and works job away from home.

My point is that homeschooling can be SO much more content-rich than traditional school depending on how dedicated the parent is. There's much more focus for one thing. They can work at their own pace and be further ahead than their peers.

Of course, it all depends on the individuals involved: the parents and the children.

In public school you're stuck at the pace of everyone else. You're one of maybe 30 to a teacher who may or may not really care.

I remember stopping by a friend of a friend's house and I was immediately depressed and felt like crying. She homeschooled her kids in the living room that was dark, poorly lit, shabby, disorganized and dirty. There was a A-B-C banner draped across one wall, and a couple of posters, but nothing like I'd seen at my friend's homes who homeschooled. There was real dedicated space, a clean, bright cheerful environment, serious about education. When it was school time, it was all business. No phone calls, no laundry, no cooking (except lunch) and it was really impressive.

It all depends on the human beings involved. And the state. In my state, homeschool parents have an incredible support system and beyond that, there is a local support network personally amongst the parents. Fabulous!

I can see him doing abc and 2 + 2. But besides that. I don't see him skilled enough to teach 2 different aged kids 4 different subjects at 2 different levels at the same time. Jmo.

I think he had them on internet tutorial home school learning websites where you can google the answers when you get into a jammy jam. Jmo.

They even make pbs shows and home school dvds for different age groups that the kids can learn from.

I can see him doing abc and 2 + 2. But besides that. I don't see him skilled enough to teach 2 different aged kids 4 different subjects at 2 different levels at the same time. Jmo.

I think he had them on internet tutorial home school learning websites where you can google the answers when you get into a jammy jam. Jmo.

They even make pbs shows and home school dvds for different age groups that the kids can learn from.

Maybe he did that, I dunno. But, I had to reply because you made me giggle and it felt good: lolled@ "jammy jam" :giggle:

it just struck my funny bone

I am not attaching this to a particular post and I am starting with the latest and working my way back, so forgive me if this has been stated.

I had a discussion with TS in 2014 regarding education, she told me she had taken her kiddos out of a local charter school and HIRED a private tutor. It is possible that she was referring to MS, but I did not get that impression.

I am not attaching this to a particular post and I am starting with the latest and working my way back, so forgive me if this has been stated.

I had a discussion with TS in 2014 regarding education, she told me she had taken her kiddos out of a local charter school and HIRED a private tutor. It is possible that she was referring to MS, but I did not get that impression.

An in-home tutor would make more sense if MS was working full time at the office and the girls were not in an actual school. Someone would need to be home with them.

An in-home tutor would make more sense if MS was working full time at the office and the girls were not in an actual school. Someone would need to be home with them.

Today there are so many different avenues for homeschooling, a personal tutor for one day a week would be reasonable. When my son was in public school, I met many parents through my child's activities who were homeschooling their kids. Some of the children would meet with a teacher once a week to get assignments and for tutoring. That might have been what TS and MS were doing with their daughters.

Today there are so many different avenues for homeschooling, a personal tutor for one day a week would be reasonable. When my son was in public school, I met many parents through my child's activities who were homeschooling their kids. Some of the children would meet with a teacher once a week to get assignments and for tutoring. That might have been what TS and MS were doing with their daughters.

Did the Sievers have a nanny to watch after the girls then while TS and MS were both in the office all day?

I have heard that Florida schools are really pretty bad.

Did the Sievers have a nanny to watch after the girls then while TS and MS were both in the office all day?
As I recall, the office was only open 24 hours per week, so not exactly all day every day. Also, a couple verified patients have posted saying MS was rarely in the office and that he worked from home a lot. So he probably was able to manage the girls with the help of the tutor and an occasional babysitter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have heard that Florida schools are really pretty bad.
I've heard that as well... large number of retirees who tend not to vote for increased school funding. Don't know how true it is, but that's what I've heard.

Slightly OT but I have a question & an observation about homeschooling: first we will go with the observation which is about my nephew who wanted to get into the Marines. They would not accept him being homeschooled with a GED & recruiters can be picky. They strongly preferred a recruit that had a regular high school diploma from a brick & mortar school. True.
Now the question--I know that high ranking Ivy League Colleges/Universities like to see a student who has come from a renowned prep school or private fancy high school for their choice of admissions. They look at a students academic history to see if the schools from kindergarten all the way up suits them and is a good fit. They look at what Clubs you belonged to, how your grades were, various standardized tests throughout the years, your sports standings, etc, etc,. True.
Where does home schooling come in? Are the big Ivies just going to look at the SAT's and GRE's? And what about all of those reference letters from Professors I had to get ( granted that was for Grad School admissions)? It is really competitive & surely my parents could not teach me Calculous & Biostatistics. No way!

What say you---parents please tell me how goes this homeschooling for admissions into undergrad & grad schools? I'm curious....

Homeschooling is really random. From people who can barely read and write themselves , people who stick their kids on a computer all day, to some who actually have the understanding of different subject matter.

Hardly anyone has skills, understanding, and interest in different subjects. That is why as kids get older, they have teachers that have specialized areas they teach.

I suppose it is possible that there are parents that are good in English, history, math, art, science, music and foreign language.

I think the parents and students need to think ahead to what kind of university and program they want to get into, and do what they need to meet the admission standards. Might be better to do a last year in high school, or have a qualified tutor who can provide recommendations. Many universities assume most 1st year students are going to be pretty marginal, so it won't make much difference for the mainstream post-secondaries. For the Ivy League, you need to have done very well at your fancy high school, simply attending won't get you in. So if the homeschooler can demonstrate very high calibre through variety of references and tests, they can also get into Ivy League.

Homeschooling is really random. From people who can barely read and write themselves , people who stick their kids on a computer all day, to some who actually have the understanding of different subject matter.

Hardly anyone has skills, understanding, and interest in different subjects. That is why as kids get older, they have teachers that have specialized areas they teach.

I suppose it is possible that there are parents that are good in English, history, math, art, science, music and foreign language.

So true! Even teachers have their strengths. I used to advertise real estate and we had three teachers with real estate licenses. One lady, bless her heart, couldn't spell to save her life. Another one was kind of ditzy. The third one was professional, polished and skilled.

One more note on homeschooling: not all kids are homeschooled through high school graduation. Some parents want or need the break! Some parents give the kids the choice to go to public high school or in one case I knew, just the senior year. One family's kids went to sophomore year public and hated it. Two of the kids said the students were barbaric, the teachers uncaring if they learned or not. All three were ahead scholastically and bored academically in regular school, but the third child loved the social aspect of it and remained until graduation.

As far as the Marines go: that's why the have their reputation, I guess. I started to say that it's interesting that they wouldn't do their own testing of him so they could be satisfied. They must have their reasons and it may have to do with discipline or the necessary exposure to all kinds of personalities and the accompanying conflict resolution skills. That kind of exposure is not available for the same amount of time as public school. I wonder if they accepted homeschooled before and had enough problems that they said no more. Or, psych evaluations and recommendations just say don't bother. I wonder if the other branches of Armed Forces feel the same.

Article from 2007... the text of a US Marine Corp press release is included.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/issues/m/marinerecruiting.asp

Myth—Homeschool students don’t have a high school diploma so they can’t join the Marine Corps.
Fact—If you are a homeschool graduate, you can join the Marine Corps.

“It’s not that our recruiters aren’t interested in homeschool students,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Patrick S. Arbec, Operations Chief, Marine Corps Recruiting Command, Quantico, VA. “If they don't come to us for information or if one of our recruiters doesn’t run into them in the local community—we don’t have a chance to present our opportunities to them.”

Homeschool graduates are afforded the same opportunity to enlist as graduates from public and private schools. They can sign up for all enlistment programs, as long as they are mentally, morally, and physically qualified for enlistment and score appropriately on the required Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery Test (ASVAB). And they can often receive an enlistment bonus.

And from 2011...
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2013/201304260.asp

In 2011, HSLDA worked with Congress to include an amendment in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to ensure that homeschool graduates could enlist in the military. Congress included the amendment in the bill it sent to President Obama for his signature, and it was signed into law in early 2012.

Homeschool Enlistment Requirements:

• High School Diploma

• High school parent generated transcript to prove their homeschool status, click here and here. Though notarization is not required, it is recommended to verify the legitimacy of the parent signature.

• Score 50 or above on AFQT portion of ASVAB (advisable to take test before enlisting; can be retaken at 30 day interval)

• Advisable not to take GED, which can alter recruit status

If student has acquired 15 or more college credit through a community college or 4 year college, he/she will be enlisted on the merits of the college transcript.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member