Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was an eventful afternoon. LOL

My theory on why Fitzgeorge is fighting so damn hard to keep these FBI experts off the stand. I think they are going to testify regarding the GPS data and that phone that was wrapped in foil. Unless I missed something (which is possible), I think that is Taylor's phone. As we know, Jimmy's phone was destroyed...only pieces were found. No data could be retrieved. However, he was texting/calling Taylor. And he had loose lips. Careless. I think there is a gold mine of evidence on that GPS, phone & whatever other electronics on which they are going to offer testimony. I didn't think *that* much about it until Fitzgeorge nearly commited hari kari in a desperate attempt to keep them off the stand.

Here's the thing - as a defense attorney I imagine she is pretty good at intimidating/manipulating witnesses, especially ones as unworldly as Taylor Shoemaker. She is confident she can make the jury doubt/disregard her testimony. Same with Wayne. She will paint him as a convicted felon who struck a sweet deal - tons of motive. BUT....BUT...She can't do anything about the data retrieved off the elecronics. BLACK & WHITE - the data, nor the FBI experts -no motive. When you have witnesses that may have motives and/or maybe they don't come across well when testifying under cross-exam, jurors that feel uneasy will almost always rely on physical evidence. Fitzgeorge would like to get rid of the physical evidence. She won't be able to, but that is her hail mary pass. If there is a conviction, she will probably cite this as an appellate issue. I don't think that will work either, but heh...it's her job.

Let me be clear, I respect that she is fighting vigorously for her client BUT...BUT, BUT, BUT...you NEVER want to piss a Judge off the way she did today. Judge Kyle saw straight through what she is doing, however, his job is to make sure a defendant charged with a capital crime & facing the death penalty, gets a FAIR trial. Otherwise, we will all be back here again, on appeal. That said, Fitzgeorge went too far today. I don't even know if she realizes in the heat of the moment how far she overstepped. It spiraled so bad so fast...she was completely disrespectful to the Court. Whew...it was BAD.

One last thing - I cannot tell you how infuriating this is for the jurors. Before I started my career in law, I was seated on a jury in a high profile local case. Went 2 weeks. Life sentence in the balance. The most frustrating this for jurors is all the waiting. Think about it - you arrive at court at 8:30a. On a good day, it is usually 9:30 before a witness is sworn in. Then morning break around 10:30. Testimony from 10:45-noon. Lunch is usually 1-1.25 hours. Rinse & repeat after lunch. All that is peppered with endless Sidebars and whatever other reason the attorneys can find to delay. It gets real old, real fast. That is exactly why you hear Judge Kyle ALWAYS falling on the sword and telling the jury it is his fault. Even when we know it isn't. Being a juror is stressful enough. Waiting only makes it more stressful and, frankly, irritated as heck at whoever is causing it. If they knew for a minute who was causing the delay, they would subconsciously punish the side who they felt was at fault for the delay. It's hard to put yourself in the place of a juror. Know how it feels waiting in line at the DMV or a restaurant? Multiply that feeling x 100 and then do it everyday for 3 weeks. Jurors feel disrespected. Hope this is the last of these type delays or I fear we will lose some.

I was watching the end of the penalty phase in the Markel trial and missed the defense’s temper tantrum. Hoping it is on You Tube a little later.

Fitzgeorge was pretty unprofessional, lost her temper a bit and implied she was being called a liar.

It's already up. Skip to the last 25 minutes, the majority of the 3+ hours is the seal anyway.

Both JRR and his lawyer bothered me today. He was visibly angry when the FB analyst was testifying and his lawyer was so full of disrespect. I was also angered by the lunchtime incident re the juror (alternate) . Many others agree with me that 2 alternate jurors is not enough in this case. I fear that this jury will not work out.

The FBI analyst spoke about the fact that they did fiber and FTIR Infrared testing. If you listen to the opening statements, didn't Hamid say that a blue fiber was found on Teresa and a hair was found on the jumpsuit? I suspect that the reason that Fitzgeorge wants this evidence to be questioned or excluded is because she knows that this testimony will both tie the blue suit found on the side of the road to Teresa (the fiber from the blue suit found on Teresa's body) and the hair found on the jumpsuit will be tied to Jimmy (DNA testing). And as Beach pointed out, in the face of any concern about girlfriend or co-conspirator testimony, the physical evidence doesn't lie. Just like the emphasis today on the Budweiser T-shirt and the plaque hanging in Jimmy and Taylor's home. Both of those items are on the Wal-Mart receipt (from Walmart shopping trip by Jimmy and Wayne, in Florida). Also the white shirt and the black and white tennis shoes taken from Jimmy's house that were brought up in testimony today look to be what Jimmy was wearing in the Wal-Mart video. They can try, but the physical evidence points to Jimmy lying about his trip to Florida, covering up his trip to Florida, covering up about the items purchased/used during the trip, and a proximity to Teresa on the day of her death - if I remember all that has been released correctly. I also went back and listened to the FBI testimony and the State and Fitzgeorge. The State pointed to Bates pages 84282 through 89079 as the FBI data turned over. Seems really simple to me. Question the FBI witness as to whether or not pages 84282 through 89079 represent 100% of the material the FBI turned over to the state. If yes? Trial proceeds as defense had materials and appropriate time (over 30 days) to depose witness. By the way, the FBI witness also said the material (a) was NOT password protected (b) was 100% in pdf format and (c) included all of the lab and exam notes as well as their standard operating procedures. The state took the time to index all of the materials before uploading to the system (as Bates pages 84282 through 89079). This is being made much more difficult than it actually is on purpose. And although Kyle appears to be frustrated with the stalling tactics of the defense, he also seems equally frustrated with the State Attorney's (Ms. Ross) plodding approach on items that never seem to get to the salient point. Hamid Hunter is much more fluid and exacting. I hope he is used more frequently in Mark's trial.

You’re probably right about the hair & fiber evidence. They spent a lot of time with LCSO witnesses about how it was collected and protected the integrity of the evidence. Setting the stage for these FBI experts.

Agree about Hamid Hunter. I’m hoping he will be the one to question both Taylor and Wayne. Usually I can tell by the way they divide the witnesses up, but not so much this trial. Hunter WISELY kept his lips zipped during this fiasco today. IDK why Ross kept butting in when Kyle wasn’t addressing her directly. She should’ve shut up & let Fitzgeorge sink her own ship. Ross became an unnecessary distraction.

BEACH.....so appreciate your opinions. Fitzgeorge has already back tracked from saying "I didn't get all the information"....(and it was shown it wasn't password encrypted either) so that blew the "they locked me out" claim, to NOW SAYING, "I couldn't access the information that was given." Interestingly, she already admitted she saw some of the information from the disc, but is kind of saying....Okay, I may have to admit it is there, but something is wrong with my computer??? (Ya' know, the dog ate my homework along with my completed essay, :D). And then subtly slips in, if she has it.....then she will need more time to go over it with her expert. Does anyone else remember something about an expert witness needing more time because they were attacked? Delay? Yep, it does seem strange, the defense would ask for a delay for an expert to look over the files they now claim they never had in the first place. To me IMHO, a lot of excuses are being made concerning the FBI reports. Oh well, I am just an onlooker and will have to see how this plays out... curious.
PS... I just found a MSM article about "expert witness brutally attacked."
Day 4's proceedings are under way, and it began with the defense reporting that one of their expert witnesses recently got brutally attacked, and cannot return to work until next week.
Jimmy Rodgers murder trial Day 4: Jury selection continues

Last edited:

My theory on why Fitzgeorge is fighting so damn hard to keep these FBI experts off the stand. I think they are going to testify regarding the GPS data and that phone that was wrapped in foil. Unless I missed something (which is possible), I think that is Taylor's phone. As we know, Jimmy's phone was destroyed...only pieces were found. No data could be retrieved. However, he was texting/calling Taylor. And he had loose lips. Careless. I think there is a gold mine of evidence on that GPS, phone & whatever other electronics on which they are going to offer testimony. I didn't think *that* much about it until Fitzgeorge nearly commited hari kari in a desperate attempt to keep them off the stand.

Here's the thing - as a defense attorney I imagine she is pretty good at intimidating/manipulating witnesses, especially ones as unworldly as Taylor Shoemaker. She is confident she can make the jury doubt/disregard her testimony. Same with Wayne. She will paint him as a convicted felon who struck a sweet deal - tons of motive. BUT....BUT...She can't do anything about the data retrieved off the elecronics. BLACK & WHITE - the data, nor the FBI experts -no motive. When you have witnesses that may have motives and/or maybe they don't come across well when testifying under cross-exam, jurors that feel uneasy will almost always rely on physical evidence. Fitzgeorge would like to get rid of the physical evidence. She won't be able to, but that is her hail mary pass. If there is a conviction, she will probably cite this as an appellate issue. I don't think that will work either, but heh...it's her job.

Let me be clear, I respect that she is fighting vigorously for her client BUT...BUT, BUT, BUT...you NEVER want to piss a Judge off the way she did today. Judge Kyle saw straight through what she is doing, however, his job is to make sure a defendant charged with a capital crime & facing the death penalty, gets a FAIR trial. Otherwise, we will all be back here again, on appeal. That said, Fitzgeorge went too far today. I don't even know if she realizes in the heat of the moment how far she overstepped. It spiraled so bad so fast...she was completely disrespectful to the Court. Whew...it was BAD.

One last thing - I cannot tell you how infuriating this is for the jurors. Before I started my career in law, I was seated on a jury in a high profile local case. Went 2 weeks. Life sentence in the balance. The most frustrating this for jurors is all the waiting. Think about it - you arrive at court at 8:30a. On a good day, it is usually 9:30 before a witness is sworn in. Then morning break around 10:30. Testimony from 10:45-noon. Lunch is usually 1-1.25 hours. Rinse & repeat after lunch. All that is peppered with endless Sidebars and whatever other reason the attorneys can find to delay. It gets real old, real fast. That is exactly why you hear Judge Kyle ALWAYS falling on the sword and telling the jury it is his fault. Even when we know it isn't. Being a juror is stressful enough. Waiting only makes it more stressful and, frankly, irritated as heck at whoever is causing it. If they knew for a minute who was causing the delay, they would subconsciously punish the side who they felt was at fault for the delay. It's hard to put yourself in the place of a juror. Know how it feels waiting in line at the DMV or a restaurant? Multiply that feeling x 100 and then do it everyday for 3 weeks. Jurors feel disrespected. Hope this is the last of these type delays or I fear we will lose some.

I have been in Southwest Florida for 20+years. One thing I've noticed is that there are case management conferences scheduled at 8:30, the same time trials are to begin. Is this a "norm"? I have been in Judge Kyle's courtroom. He is a no nonsense, observant judge. He takes note of everyone coming in and out of his courtroom. He leans way back in his chair, b

I have been in Southwest Florida for 20+ years. I have noticed that there are case management conferences at 8:30, the same time as trial. Is this the "norm"? Probably why trial is starting late. I have been in Judge Kyle's courtroom. He is no nonsense and very observant. He notices everyone coming in and out. He leans back in his chair, barely peering over the "bench". He is comfortable and confident as a judge. I feel he will make sure there is justice for Dr. Sievers.

The FBI analyst spoke about the fact that they did fiber and FTIR Infrared testing. If you listen to the opening statements, didn't Hamid say that a blue fiber was found on Teresa and a hair was found on the jumpsuit? I suspect that the reason that Fitzgeorge wants this evidence to be questioned or excluded is because she knows that this testimony will both tie the blue suit found on the side of the road to Teresa (the fiber from the blue suit found on Teresa's body) and the hair found on the jumpsuit will be tied to Jimmy (DNA testing). And as Beach pointed out, in the face of any concern about girlfriend or co-conspirator testimony, the physical evidence doesn't lie. Just like the emphasis today on the Budweiser T-shirt and the plaque hanging in Jimmy and Taylor's home. Both of those items are on the Wal-Mart receipt (from Walmart shopping trip by Jimmy and Wayne, in Florida). Also the white shirt and the black and white tennis shoes taken from Jimmy's house that were brought up in testimony today look to be what Jimmy was wearing in the Wal-Mart video. They can try, but the physical evidence points to Jimmy lying about his trip to Florida, covering up his trip to Florida, covering up about the items purchased/used during the trip, and a proximity to Teresa on the day of her death - if I remember all that has been released correctly. I also went back and listened to the FBI testimony and the State and Fitzgeorge. The State pointed to Bates pages 84282 through 89079 as the FBI data turned over. Seems really simple to me. Question the FBI witness as to whether or not pages 84282 through 89079 represent 100% of the material the FBI turned over to the state. If yes? Trial proceeds as defense had materials and appropriate time (over 30 days) to depose witness. By the way, the FBI witness also said the material (a) was NOT password protected (b) was 100% in pdf format and (c) included all of the lab and exam notes as well as their standard operating procedures. The state took the time to index all of the materials before uploading to the system (as Bates pages 84282 through 89079). This is being made much more difficult than it actually is on purpose. And although Kyle appears to be frustrated with the stalling tactics of the defense, he also seems equally frustrated with the State Attorney's (Ms. Ross) plodding approach on items that never seem to get to the salient point. Hamid Hunter is much more fluid and exacting. I hope he is used more frequently in Mark's trial.

The additional discovery material had been filed on 08/21/2019, 84282 through 89079:

FBI JR DNA Tst Docs.pdf

The additional discovery material had been filed on 08/21/2019, 84282 through 89079:

FBI JR DNA Tst Docs.pdf
Hey there NIN!:);):) Hmmm, so let me get this right? You have had access to "proof" the discovery material filed 2 months ago and have been able to post them here? I wonder how the defense missed them? Wouldn't the defense be on alert for FBI findings, from day one? Curious:rolleyes: & perplexing.

Last edited:
Hey there NIN!:);):) Hmmm, so let me get this right? You have had access to proof" the discovery material filed 2 months ago and have been able to post them here? I wonder how the defense missed them? Wouldn't the defense be on alert for FBI findings, from day one? Curious:rolleyes:

Hey IQ, I am wondering myself. Perhaps we should ask Kathleen..

-Nin

I have been in Southwest Florida for 20+years. One thing I've noticed is that there are case management conferences scheduled at 8:30, the same time trials are to begin. Is this a "norm"? I have been in Judge Kyle's courtroom. He is a no nonsense, observant judge. He takes note of everyone coming in and out of his courtroom. He leans way back in his chair, b

I have been in Southwest Florida for 20+ years. I have noticed that there are case management conferences at 8:30, the same time as trial. Is this the "norm"? Probably why trial is starting late. I have been in Judge Kyle's courtroom. He is no nonsense and very observant. He notices everyone coming in and out. He leans back in his chair, barely peering over the "bench". He is comfortable and confident as a judge. I feel he will make sure there is justice for Dr. Sievers.
Yes, it’s the norm to schedule case management (status conferences) at 8:30 with a trial scheduled at 9:00. Status conferences are usually very brief.

I meant to comment on Judge Kyle in my long diatribe post. Haha I LOVE him and the way he conducts his courtroom. He is wonderful with the jurors and he appears to be very fair to both sides. So far, one of my favorite judges I’ve seen while following trials here on WS.

Last edited:
MsArk and Oregonmama.... thnx, guys. I found it earlier. Boy, that defense attorney! Is it Fitzgeorge? I think that’s who Beach referred to earlier, above.... oh the games! I think Judge Kyle was ready to blow a gasket with her. This trial’s going to be a bumpy ride.
Beach.... loved reading your comment above, agree! And I love Judge Kyle, not gonna put up with stuff. I remember when MS didn’t have a certified DP attorney on board & said something to the effect that he didn’t need that, was satisfied with his defense. Kyle told him to get one OR he would appoint one whether MS who it was or not. Kyle let him know he wasn’t going to hear anything about a mistrial due to that sort of thing.

Last edited:

FBI JR DNA Tst Docs.pdf
Question: Does every attorney on the defense team have access to discovery material that is sent/filed? Could anyone of KF's team have looked at those documents or does she have the only password and access to the defense's computer system? I'm thinking all attorneys should have access in case one gets ill or has an inkling to stay up late and review current filings.
Good night fellow sleuths....exhausting day. IQzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member