Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jean Casarez just got a note that the denfense, in asking a question of Kathleen's sister, let it out that Drew supposedly had said that he'd make Kathleen's death look like an "acccident." However, the prosecution had not been allowed to bring in the "accident" part of that quote. So that's a good thing. :woohoo:

In Session That concludes the offer of proof, and the witness is asked to leave the courtroom. Once she’s gone, prosecutor Patton argues that this testimony is necessary to explain why Doman waited so long to go public. “I believe this witness should be allowed to testify why it happened to be . . . the defense is trying to avoid bringing up Stacy Peterson. But the whole reason she went over there, and the whole reason those people were there, was because of the missing Stacy Peterson . . . the defense has invited it. We can’t explain a lot of the things this woman did without Stacy.” Greenberg responds: “I don’t think that they should be able to get into it . . . we’ve all known that this issue’s out there.” Judge Burmila: “The State’s point is well taken. The defense cross-examined the witness in multiple ways and asked multiple questions that she withheld the information . . . the State is entitled to show, in light of all that cross-examination, why the woman would have come forward in 2007 . . . she hoped she would be able to encourage FOX News to go ahead with their plan, and have an exhumation . . . I think, however, that for her to say she acted because of Stacy Peterson is much too prejudicial, and that will not be admissible. But the other information, about why she acted, that is admissible.” So, in short, Doman will be able to explain how she came to speak to FOX News, and mention Dr. Michael Baden, but she may not say anything about Stacy Peterson’s disappearance.

That is just wrong...how do you seek the truth when you don't allow one of the key elements to this case to come out and that is the person of Stacy Peterson!

Hmmmm.... maybe the papers were the insurance policy?

(thanks again to ACR for the this awesome site)

GRETA: Did she have an insurance policy on her life?

ANNA: She had a one million dollar insurance policy.

GRETA: Who was the beneficiary of that policy?

ANNA: Well everybody thought it was Drew but nobody knew she changed it to her two boys. She did that just prior to her death.

GRETA: Did you know she done that just prior to her death?

ANNA: Oh yeah she told me.

GRETA: Why did she do that?

ANNA: Because she didn't want Drew to get it because she said he was going to kill her.

http://www.acandyrose.com/kathleen_savio_103107doman_greta.htm

Interesting. Did the defense just open the door to bring in the above info by mentioning papers given to GVS?

10 a.m. Defense cross-examines Savio's sister

On cross-examination, Doman said she never turned over a briefcase she retrieved from Savio's SUV to police at the time of Savio's death, but instead stored the case in her garage until 2008 when she gave copies of some of the documents to a producer for the Greta Van Susteren show, and later, to state police investigators.

Doman had testified earlier that Savio asked her to get the case from her vehicle if anything happened to her.

When defense attorney Joe Lopez asked whether Doman turned any of the documents from the briefcase over to the coroner's office during the 2004 inquest into her sister's death, she paused briefly, then said that she did not.

"Don't look at the state to determine whether you should answer, Ma'am," Judge Edward Burmila told her
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...avio-stacey-mistrial-20120803,0,1019573.story

BBM. Until this point I haven't wanted to slap him. I do now. WTF? Maybe she was looking at the state because she thought they would object? What an :censored: .

In Session The jurors are now back in the courtroom, and Kathy Patton resumes her redirect examination. “You were asked some questions about meeting Greta Van Susteren. Before you met her, did you even know who she was?” “No, I didn’t even know who she was.” “You were going to the home of a woman named Sharon?” “Sharon Bychowski . . . I went over there to check on the welfare of Tommy and Chris.” “Why did you take along a death certificate?” “I wanted to use it as a form of identification, so she wouldn’t think I was a crazy lady . . . I had that and my driver’s license.” “How did you meet Greta?’ “When I went in, there was all these people in there. And she was just sitting there . . . and I just started talking to her . . . about the events that were going on. She asked me who I was.” “Did you talk to her about your sister, Kathleen, and her death?” “Yes, I did.” “Was there also conversation about investigating that?” “Yes, I did tell her that.” “Did you talk to her about exhuming her?” Objection/Overruled. “Well, exhumation wasn’t exactly what we talked about. But I did tell her I wasn’t happy with what was on the death certificate.” “Did you talk with her about getting another opinion from someone else?” “Yes . .. she said she could put me in contact with someone who might possibly help me . .. Dr. Michael Baden. He’s a world-renowned pathologist.” “So you didn’t go over there to meet her, or to get on television, anything like that?” “No . . . I thought she was a friend of Sharon’s.”

In Session Doman repeats that she called the state police (as did other family members) to try to get someone to look into Savio’s death. Objection/Sustained. “Did you have a conversation with your family about calling various police departments?” “Yes.” Objection/Overruled. “Did you talk to Henry about you and Henry doing that?” “I talked to Henry about him doing it, yes.” “And in addition to him doing it, you did it as well?” “Yes.” “And they didn’t listen to you?” “Yes . . . that’s what I said.”

In Session “When the defendant called you and said that Kitty was dead, he said that you shouldn’t come over?” “Yes, that’s what he said.” “But he didn’t tell you not to come over at all tomorrow?” “No.” “Did the police ever come to your house to interview you?” Objection/Overruled. “No, they never did.”

In Session “You said you were looking for a will?” “Yes.” “You weren’t looking for cash or jewels?” “No.”
“You said you didn’t follow Drew around the house?” “Yes.” “Did you tell the State Police you did follow him to rooms and saw what he did?” “Yes, I did follow him, to a point. Not constantly.” “And you told the state police you observed him doing things?” “Yes, I observed him.”

In Session “What did the defendant say to you he was looking for that day?” “He needed stuff for kids; they needed stuff for school.” “He went into the master bedroom and the master bathroom?” “Yeah. I thought that was a little strange.”
“When I was leaving toward the end, I saw her car, her SUV. It just hit me. There was just so much stuff going on in my head . . . you’re thinking about all this other stuff. And when I looked at her car, the briefcase just hit me. And so when I walked out and saw the car, I just thought about it . . . I’d never had anybody that close to us die . . . it’s just horrible.”

In Session “Counsel asked you about Kitty putting her hair up . . . she did put her hair up when she was preparing for showers or baths?” “Normally.” “If she didn’t use a towel, was there anything else she might have used?” Objection/Sustained.

“You don’t have any law enforcement training, do you?” “Not at all . . . not even close.”

In Session “Kathy said that Drew was going to kill her?” “”Yes, she said that to me. She told me Drew told her he was going to kill her. She was not going to make it to the property settlement, she was not going to get his pension or his children . . . she made me say it over and over and over again, ‘Tell me you’ll take care of my kids’ . . . she was very scared.”

In Session “Did she also say that he was going to kill her and make it look like an accident?” “She said that on many occasions.”

This ends the redirect.

BBM. Until this point I haven't wanted to slap him. I do now. WTF? Maybe she was looking at the state because she thought they would object? What an :censored: .

I agree! I thought judges were supposed to be neutral but for him to smack down the witness like she is being coerced by the prosecution is disgusting!!!! If this guy is an elected judge I hope people in his district are taking note!!!!!!!! I am furious!

Haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been suggested...since the trial could last for a month or so, can we have a thread for each day? Mods?

In Session The jurors are now back in the courtroom, and Kathy Patton resumes her redirect examination. “You were asked some questions about meeting Greta Van Susteren. Before you met her, did you even know who she was?” “No, I didn’t even know who she was.” “You were going to the home of a woman named Sharon?” “Sharon Bychowski . . . I went over there to check on the welfare of Tommy and Chris.” “Why did you take along a death certificate?” “I wanted to use it as a form of identification, so she wouldn’t think I was a crazy lady . . . I had that and my driver’s license.” “How did you meet Greta?’ “When I went in, there was all these people in there. And she was just sitting there . . . and I just started talking to her . . . about the events that were going on. She asked me who I was.” “Did you talk to her about your sister, Kathleen, and her death?” “Yes, I did.” “Was there also conversation about investigating that?” “Yes, I did tell her that.” “Did you talk to her about exhuming her?” Objection/Overruled. “Well, exhumation wasn’t exactly what we talked about. But I did tell her I wasn’t happy with what was on the death certificate.” “Did you talk with her about getting another opinion from someone else?” “Yes . .. she said she could put me in contact with someone who might possibly help me . .. Dr. Michael Baden. He’s a world-renowned pathologist.” “So you didn’t go over there to meet her, or to get on television, anything like that?” “No . . . I thought she was a friend of Sharon’s.”

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that she thought GVS was just a friend....weren't there other people in the crew? Cameras? Etc.?

In Session Lopez begins his redirect. Once again, the witness concedes that she had not seen her nephews after the funeral. “You didn’t even send them a Christmas card?” “ No.”

In Session “How many shows have you been on?” “What show . . . I wasn’t quite sure what show he was talking about.” “You went on TV, didn’t you?” One of the jurors is once again having a coughing fit, so the judge asks the jury to leave the courtroom. He also excuses the witness. “We’ll be in recess for five minutes.”

[snipped by me]
“You knew Kathy’s [at first, Lopez misspeaks, and said ‘Stacy’s” rather than ‘Kathy’s’] friend Mary Pontarelli, didn’t you?”

Imagine the reaction from the DT if the Prosecutor slipped and said Stacy instead of Kathy.

In Session “You know that when Kathy died she had a gold necklace around her neck with a cross on it?” “I didn’t know that.” “Were you ever told that?” “No.” “You knew Kathy’s [at first, Lopez misspeaks, and said ‘Stacy’s” rather than ‘Kathy’s’] friend Mary Pontarelli, didn’t you?” “I met her two or three times.” “You never told her that Kathy said Drew was going to kill her and make it look like an accident?” “Not that I remember.” “And you knew that Kathy and Mary were very close friends?” “I knew they were friends.” “You weren’t really that close to your sister, were you?” “Yes, I was close to her.” “You didn’t know her boyfriend, did you?” “Yes, I knew him.” “But you didn’t’ know him well?” “It depends on what you consider well.”

In Session “During that six week period from the time you claim she made this statement to the time of her death, you didn’t go to her house at all, did you?” “I don’t remember.” Doman concedes that she didn’t call up Drew to warn him not to do anything, didn’t call the Bolingbrook P.D., and didn’t file any kind of report. “You didn’t call a family meeting, or call your father up and tell him that?” “No.” “You didn’t attempt to contact your sister’s boyfriend and relay that information, either, did you?” “No.” This ends the cross-examination.

In Session Lopez suddenly realizes he has one more question. Doman repeats that Drew cleaned the bathtub while she was at the house, and claimed he was doing it because he didn’t want the kids to see the blood. “You knew the police had been in there the night before, right?” “Yes.”

BBM. Whoops, does this open a door to bring more info in regarding Stacy?

Gosh reading what is happening is so different than watching....the cough fit reads HINKY to me. LOL

In Session Lopez begins his redirect. Once again, the witness concedes that she had not seen her nephews after the funeral. “You didn’t even send them a Christmas card?” “ No.”

In Session “How many shows have you been on?” “What show . . . I wasn’t quite sure what show he was talking about.” “You went on TV, didn’t you?” One of the jurors is once again having a coughing fit, so the judge asks the jury to leave the courtroom. He also excuses the witness. “We’ll be in recess for five minutes.”

Geez, someone get this guy a cough drop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18