Drew Peterson's Trial *FOURTH WEEK*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Session “With the bruises you observed in Kathleen Savio, would any of them be post-mortem?” “These are not post-mortem, no.” ‘Do you have an opinion to a reasonable degree of medical and scientific certainty as to the manner of death of Kathleen Savio?” “I do . . . my opinion is homicide, meaning that another person did this. It is not an accident or a suicide.” This ends the direct examination of this witness.
5 minutes ago · Like · 10

In Session The judge calls a recess at this time, to allow the defense to prepare for its cross-examination of Dr. Case. He leaves the bench.

It seems to be going pretty well, so far. Dr. Case has been able to make several good points. It's good that she was able to state that a fall in the tub couldn't have caused the injury Kathleen had.

This is the first time for me following a current case. How on earth do you guys handle all of the waiting while there's sidebars? I'm having a heck of a time!

It's usually NOT like that.
This is an unusual case.

This is going to be a brutal cross examination. The DT cannot just sit back and let all of this powerful evidence invade the juror's minds. lol They are going to be in desperation mode.

This is going to be a brutal cross examination. The DT cannot just sit back and let all of this powerful evidence invade the juror's minds. lol They are going to be in desperation mode.

agreed. Let's hope Dr. Case is up to the challenge and the defense makes no head way into disputing what she stated.

It seems to be going pretty well, so far. Dr. Case has been able to make several good points. It's good that she was able to state that a fall in the tub couldn't have caused the injury Kathleen had.

This is the first time for me following a current case. How on earth do you guys handle all of the waiting while there's sidebars? I'm having a heck of a time!

This is the first time I've followed a trial that is not being streamed. I'm finding it very hard to follow and the constant objections and sidebars are interfering with my concentration. I feel like I'm missing so much that it really isn't productive to sit here day after day........But, if I was on this jury I would be angry at the entire proceedings and upset that my taxes are being wasted on this circus.

agreed. Let's hope Dr. Case is up to the challenge and the defense makes no head way into disputing what she stated.

This quote has me a little worried:
Goldberg: “She’s a neuropathologist, not a crime scene reconstructionist . . . it’s outside her realm of expertise.”

Goldberg had to make an excuse for Case's prior error, mentioning it might take multiple falls to get that much bruising, by saying that this kind of testimony, crime scene reconstruction, is outside of her expertise. So I hope she can withstand the barrage that is coming at her.

witness Case says blood pattern in tub -- ie no blood on the tub walls -- does not suggest she hit her head, fell into water.

Case: location of blood not consistent with a fall.

Case: Savio's head injury wasn't caused by a knife. It was caused by a blunt object.

Case: Savio's head wound was made by a blunt object with a concentrated edge

BBM
Can she continue on to say there's no blunt/concentrated edges on that tub? What about the toilet? Other edges in that bathroom?

Defense attorney Darryl Goldberg has begun the cross-examination of Dr. Mary Case.

testimony continues with Dr. Case. She is testifying about reviewing the three autopsies done on Kathleen Savio.

Defense questioning Case and her expertise in child abuse cases. Attorney asserting that Case is too cozy with prosecutors.

In Session The witness and the jurors are back in the courtroom. Defense attorney Darryl Goldberg begins his cross-examination of neuropathologist Dr. Mary Case. “You are the medical examiner of St. Louis County?” “The chief medical examiner, yes” “And there are no limitations on your ability to do outside work?” “There are not . . . this case is a private consultation.” “Mary Case, Inc. is a business for you?” “It is for tax purposes.” “You’re only in business if you can produce results?” “I don’t know what you mean by that.” “If you were in the habit of giving unfavorable testimony for prosecutors, they wouldn’t call you?” Objection/Overruled. “The vast majority of your cases are for the prosecution?” “I would say that is correct; most of my testimony in criminal cases if from medical examiner work . . . I am called by the prosecution, not by the defense.” “You have testified as an expert for a defendant in a criminal case?” “I have . . .. [but] it’s a small number . . . I have been consulted on numerous cases by the defense . . . [but] it is a very small number [of times where she’s actually testified for the defense in court].”

In Session Dr. Case is next questioned about her C.V. “Would you take my word that . . .” Objection/Sustained. “Have you given a lecture where you spoke to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Southern Illinois?” The witness says she can’t remember off the top of her head, but the defense attorney directs her toward a specific passage, which jogs her memory. She also acknowledges giving a lecture to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Nebraska. “That is a federal prosecutor’s office, right?” “Yes.” “You’re on the advisory board for Shaken Baby Syndrome International?” “Yes . . . it’s abusive injury to the head . . . most of my lectures have to do with head injury of some kind . . . I have a special interest in head injury.”
5 minutes ago ·

Goldberg: accuses Case of having a "cozy association with law enforcement."

...Goldberg going over a list of groups to whom she's lectured. Defense attorneys groups aren't among them. Case: I would if I were asked.

Dr. Case is asked about a lecutre she gave at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Nebraska, and her cozy relationship...

Defense asking Case about other forensic pathologists who've come to different conclusions about manner of Savio's death.
[ what? Can they do that? ]

Case says she knows many of those doctors, says they're fine professionals but that she's drawn different conclusions.

trial witness Case acknowledges respected pathologists she knows and/or has worked w/ disagree that Savio death was homicide.

In Session The witness is asked about some of the article she’s written (specifically about ones pertaining to head trauma in young children). She is then asked about some of the many awards she has received in the past. “Generally, if anybody asks me, I will lecture. I’m happy to talk to anybody who will ask me.”
10 minutes ago · Like · 3

In Session “You’ve never lectured to the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, have you?” “I’ve never been asked. I would be happy to do so.” “Because of your cozy relationship with prosecutors?” Objection/Sustained.

In Session The witness denies that she is an arm of law enforcement. “I don’t know what their [the prosecution’s] theory is, their plan.” “You understand that Mr. Peterson is on trial for murder, not for an accident?” Objection/Overruled. “Yes.” “And you know how important your testimony is to that?” “Yes, I understand that.” The witness explains the single time she was not allowed to testify in a case. “You were prepared to testify as to a cause of death without performing an autopsy?” “Yes.

Is that really necessary? Do we really have to resort to being a hardass with every witness? The intensity of their defense further proves how guilty they are......a softer touch would be much more powerful if they knew that they weren't fighting against THE TRUTH.

Dr. Case has years of experience and hard work.....much more so than this slimey sleezy schmuck of a lawyer.

In Session The witness is asked about some of the article she’s written (specifically about ones pertaining to head trauma in young children). She is then asked about some of the many awards she has received in the past. “Generally, if anybody asks me, I will lecture. I’m happy to talk to anybody who will ask me.”
10 minutes ago · Like · 3

In Session “You’ve never lectured to the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, have you?” “I’ve never been asked. I would be happy to do so.” “Because of your cozy relationship with prosecutors?” Objection/Sustained.

Is he really saying 'cozy relationship' over and over? LOL. Such a technical term.

Is that really necessary? Do we really have to resort to being a hardass with every witness? The intensity of their defense further proves how guilty they are......a softer touch would be much more powerful if they knew that they weren't fighting against THE TRUTH.

Dr. Case has years of experience and hard work.....much more so than this slimey sleezy schmuck of a lawyer.

I agree, this isn't going to work well with the Jury.

Dr. Case is asked about a lecutre she gave at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Nebraska, and her cozy relationship...

Defense asking Case about other forensic pathologists who've come to different conclusions about manner of Savio's death.
[ what? Can they do that? ]

BBM:

Not if you are the prosecution, you can't. The defense team would have objected, sidebar, jury out of the room, and the judge going to chambers!

(sarcasm)

In Session The witness names the other pathologists whose work she reviewed for this case. “I would like to see whatever evidence is there.” “You are aware that Dr. Jeffrey Jentzen is a forensic pathologist?” “I do know Dr. Jentzen; he’s a very good friend of mine.” “And you’re aware that he’s come to a different conclusion than you have?” “Yes.” “You certainly don’t quarrel with his qualifications?” “Not at all. Dr. Jentzen is a very fine forensic pathologist.” She says that Dr. Vincent Demaio is also a fine pathologist, although she notes that she and Demaio have had many disagreements over the years. She says that she also has problems with the opinions of Dr. Jan Leetsma (she particularly disagrees with his opinions regarding abusive head trauma in children).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste