Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachel Ray Ad

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It just looks stupid anyway. Fashion police needed!!!

No kidding. Maybe Rachel was in the midst of a huge powdered sugar storm and was just playing it safe?

I mean, I'd understand if she were in the desert.

(as much as I detest her, that's where I think she oughta be, permanently)

Isn't it interesting how that has pretty much been excluded in teaching American History? I bet if you asked 100 people what caused the civil war, 99 would answer slavery.

Isn't it interesting how that has pretty much been excluded in teaching American History? I bet if you asked 100 people what caused the civil war, 99 would answer slavery.

They do! My daughters are constantly having to set their classmates straight on it.

It really is one of my pet peeves. People have heard it for so long, it's become the "truth" now.

They do! My daughters are constantly having to set their classmates straight on it.

It really is one of my pet peeves. People have heard it for so long, it's become the "truth" now.

My daughter tried to educate her history teacher ... that didn't go over well. :eek:

My daughter tried to educate her history teacher ... that didn't go over well. :eek:

Mine haven't learned the art of "shut your mouth unless specifically asked about something controversial", yet.

I do not know where they get it. :)

It's disgraceful. By the time my daughter hit HS, her brothers set the pace so the teachers all know she is conservative, and the poor kid along with a few others are constantly up against the "new" revised history of the world.

Such a shame.

This actually raises a the topic of symbols and their meanings and connotations.

A noose has never meant anything but "wild west hangings" until the issue was raised in Jenna, to me.

The cross would be offensive if you took it into Saudi, nor the Jewish star of David, nor the rainbow flag.

The Mao symbol isn't welcome in Peru.

The nazi symbol isn't welcome anywhere but in Hindu nations.

The Che symbols, the communist symbols.

None are inherently evil, but some do evoke negative feelings.

A two minute search on Google for "offensive symbols" gave me a boat load of Confederate links.

It's disgraceful. By the time my daughter hit HS, her brothers set the pace so the teachers all know she is conservative, and the poor kid along with a few others are constantly up against the "new" revised history of the world.

Such a shame.

Yah, mine too. I started my oldest out with "tell me what you learned in civics today, so I can tell you what really happened". It's trickled down.

:)

No worries, it will make them stronger people.

Yah, mine too. I started my oldest out with "tell me what you learned in civics today, so I can tell you what really happened". It's trickled down.

:)

No worries, it will make them stronger people.
Stronger smarter people.

mphffff ... I think the topic we strayed to, is more interesting than Rachel in a scarf.

Just a theory, but perhaps if people don't like the scarf she is wearing they could change the channel :eek:...
I know, that's just crazy talk :rolleyes:

Just a theory, but perhaps if people don't like the scarf she is wearing they could change the channel :eek:...
I know, that's just crazy talk :rolleyes:

Since she wasn't wearing it on her show, it'd be more effective to not purchase anything from Dunkin Donuts.

Or write about it in an opinion forum.

Since she wasn't wearing it on her show, it'd be more effective to not purchase anything from Dunkin Donuts.

Or write about it in an opinion forum.

I absolutely agree with you-but I find changing the channel a quicker solution. I guess I just have bigger fish to fry and can't stop to throw a temper tantrum every time I find something offensive.

I absolutely agree with you-but I find changing the channel a quicker solution. I guess I just have bigger fish to fry and can't stop to throw a temper tantrum every time I find something offensive.

Again, changing the channel from what? Their commercials? That's a given for any commercial anyway in my house.

I don't see anyone here throwing a "temper tantrum". I see a civil discourse on a valid issue (for the most part).

Those scarves are everywhere now! Even at Forever 21! *rolly eye* And yes, I see young girls wear them ALL THE TIME...and they really have no idea that they are wearing a MEN'S article of clothing. The kaffiyeh is not neccesarily Palestinian, thought it has come to be associated with the Palestinian movement for independence because of Arafat's high profile in the West. That style of scarf (with small modification) can be found all over the Arab world..the thing is, it is strictly worn by men. I joke with my friends that I am going to start a new fad by wearing a jaunty yarmulke.

The thing I find most offensive about this whole brouhaha, is that people would dare to consider a traditional piece of Arab clothing as automatically "terrorist".

The thing I find most offensive about this whole brouhaha, is that people would dare to consider a traditional piece of Arab clothing as automatically "terrorist".

Well that's the thing. Symbols only have the meaning we give to them. How is a piece of rope, racist?

Rightly or wrongly, it's what we use to identify people. If you see a guy walking down the street wearing a swastika, you make assumptions about him.

(Maybe he's Hindi, see?)

Those scarves are everywhere now! Even at Forever 21! *rolly eye* And yes, I see young girls wear them ALL THE TIME...and they really have no idea that they are wearing a MEN'S article of clothing. The kaffiyeh is not neccesarily Palestinian, thought it has come to be associated with the Palestinian movement for independence because of Arafat's high profile in the West. That style of scarf (with small modification) can be found all over the Arab world..the thing is, it is strictly worn by men. I joke with my friends that I am going to start a new fad by wearing a jaunty yarmulke.

Great point! I totally agree with you.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom