Dylan Redwine's father arrested in connection to son's death 22 July 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I am actually OK with his 2nd Degree Murder charges. Here's why.

One, it will help prevent any of these high profile, attention grabbing, sleazy Defense Teams from swooping in and trying to set this free.

Two, if he is found Guilty, even of 2nd degree, he will never see the light of day again. He will die locked up.

I've always assumed Mark would have to be tried outside of LaPlata County, since this case has weighed heavily on the residents there. Maybe Denver or Jefferson counties would be better able to handle the intense media interest and be able to find newcomers who were not familiar with the case. Surprisingly, it looks like there has to be a diligent effort to have the case in the county where the offense occurred. Unless the defense and prosecution agree, at least the voir dire process goes forward.

James Holmes was tried in Arapahoe County, despite defense counsel's fear of prejudice.
https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...endants Motion For Change of Venue D-206.pdf

Michael Blagg was re-tried in Jefferson County after his Mesa County conviction thrown out as a local gal wasn't candid on her jury affidavit.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/01/...es-murder-gets-new-trial-in-jefferson-county/

These smaller cases got moved to a nearby county.
http://www.postindependent.com/news/judge-grants-change-of-venue-for-moreau-trial/

Anyone got thoughts as to how this might proceed?

At this point, I am actually OK with his 2nd Degree Murder charges. Here's why.

One, it will help prevent any of these high profile, attention grabbing, sleazy Defense Teams from swooping in and trying to set this free.

Two, if he is found Guilty, even of 2nd degree, he will never see the light of day again. He will die locked up.

I agree so much. I'd rather see an conviction on murder 2 than nothing. It's hard to prove murder one and I don't know how Colorado is but it seems like many states don't do a murder one any more except Texas where we will put you to death. I wonder if his lawyer will try for a change of venue or whatever they call it.

2nd degree murder makes some sense here, because it is usually an easier case to prove, and many jurors feel more comfortable with the evidence and with the defendant's connection to the same when the charge is not as serious. Hopefully, Mark Redwine will realize that this case is pretty strong, and just plead guilty.

Using this post as a springboard. I'm confused on why this is 2nd and not 1st degree murder. Wouldn't the one way airline ticket indicate he knew Dylan wasn't returning to his mom after the visit?

I think 2nd degree will be easier for them to prove. Based on the arrest affidavit, it looks like their theory is that once they got back to Mark's house, they had a fight and he killed Dylan in a rage.

The evidence they have supports that, but trying to go to first degree would be a lot harder to prove.

I rarely follow cases involving children because it upsets me so much. In Dylan's case I got drawn in before I could move on. And this case represents a moral struggle that I have yet to resolve. My belief system tells me "thou shall not kill". Period. Anyone.
But I can honestly say that is this were my child I would administer the lethal injection myself, and then spit on his grave. Still not there yet....conflicted.

Again, I don't want this thread to get too far away from Dylan, but I'm so thankful that some of you have felt comfortable enough to share your experiences here. Back before the new and improved Websleuths I had a little thread going in a section that I'm not sure exists anymore, with links to resources DV centers, legal research, policy and advocacy orgs, conferences, books,etc. My hope was that anyone facing domestic violence and/or child abuse would find it to be an empowering resource and it might help spark needed discussion or be a place to seek support from other survivors and allies. If this would be useful we can always ask Tricia if there is some place such a thread might find a home again.

I didn't mean to derail the topic. I have been following this case, and I cringe whenever I look back on the choices I had to make when I was younger. The situation required that I either defy a court order and become a de facto criminal, or possibly have funerals for children. This was only about 12 years ago, too; yet some people told me I was exaggerating. Looking at Dylan Redwine's case, and a few others over the past couple of years, I would have to say I was not exaggerating. In Dylan's case, there were many red flags that were apparently ignored by the judge.

2nd degree murder makes some sense here, because it is usually an easier case to prove, and many jurors feel more comfortable with the evidence and with the defendant's connection to the same when the charge is not as serious. Hopefully, Mark Redwine will realize that this case is pretty strong, and just plead guilty.

I agree about the juries. I have seen a few recent cases where the main sticking point seemed to be the ability/inability to accept the evidence of premeditation and intent. That is hard to really nail down.

And no matter how perverse or disgusting someone is, it is really hard to accept that they would plan the murder of their precious child. No one wants to believe that. Much easier to believe they lashed out in anger.

I agree about the juries. I have seen a few recent cases where the main sticking point seemed to be the ability/inability to accept the evidence of premeditation and intent. That is hard to really nail down.

And no matter how perverse or disgusting someone is, it is really hard to accept that they would plan the murder of their precious child. No one wants to believe that. Much easier to believe they lashed out in anger.

Plus there has to be consideration on what would be admissible. Defense lawyers always seem to find ways to put the squash on some things. The comment he said to his brother about not finding the skull would that be hearsay? Reading about the blood found and the scent dogs hitting on a deceased person seems like slam dunk to me but something made them wait to charge him. I ha e to believe the DA takes this all into consideration and knows what he/she is doing and brought 2nd degree charges because that's what they can make stick. Moo.

My understanding of 1st degree murder v. 2nd degree (based mainly on hearing lawyers comment on the difference on TV) is that 1st degree doesn't require an elaborate plan - a killer can formulate the idea even a minute before the act, and if he/she has even a sketchy plan of how to carry it out, that's enough for premeditation. 2nd degree would be a genuine split-second act of rage or passion, without any idea of what would come next. Given the lengths that MR went to cover himself in the minutes and hours immeditely after Dylan's death - plus, yes, such things as the one-way airline ticket, I think a 1st degree murder charge would have been well within reason. Maybe the DA didn't think he could prove intent, though, whereas it was quite obvious to everyone that this was murder and not an accident.

I live 20 miles from where this murder took place, and as you can imagine, the whole town is rejoicing that finally an arrest has been made.

You are well blessed to live in the area of such beauty and grandeur. I adore Durango. And Telluride. And Boulder. Well, just love Colorado and have most all of my life.

No doubt in my mind that MR had this event planned well in advance down to what he would say once he picked up DR from the airport and when he would report DR as missing. He is a sociopath who lashed out with vengeance but, thankfully, he didn't get away with it.

MR had his mind set on how it would go down and he spent just enough money to get it done. I think he bought Dylan's McDs meal and a movie at WalMart plus the 1-way air fare. I didn't realize it was a one way ticket until someone earlier posted it. That is a huge flashing red flag that the child was never going home again.

He wanted half of Elaine's shoes when they divorced. Whiskey. Tango.

I wonder, if even given the evidence, the former DA still couldn't believe that Dylan's father had murdered his own son. Mark is a very smooth liar. How many people believed him?

It doesn't even appear that this went to a Grand Jury until now. Wtf was wrong with the previous DA?

It doesn't even appear that this went to a Grand Jury until now. Wtf was wrong with the previous DA?

That has me curious as well. They had blood evidence and the cadaver dog hits. What changed recently that finally made the da file charges? Was MR a flight rush? He was arrested in Washington. Did they think he would have fleed to Canada? I don't understand how charges weren't brought earlier. It seems they had a lot of physical evidence.

Plus there has to be consideration on what would be admissible. Defense lawyers always seem to find ways to put the squash on some things. The comment he said to his brother about not finding the skull would that be hearsay? Reading about the blood found and the scent dogs hitting on a deceased person seems like slam dunk to me but something made them wait to charge him. I ha e to believe the DA takes this all into consideration and knows what he/she is doing and brought 2nd degree charges because that's what they can make stick. Moo.

Death Penalty cases are far more costly to the county. It could have been a political decision based on county finances. I am satisfied with LWOP for this blood sucker if it saves the public a dime. I wish he were sentenced to a tent city.

The comment he said to his brother about not finding the skull would that be hearsay?

Legally, those spoken words are hearsay unless MR testifies to the utterance. The importance of the skull is for a definitive COD. A jury wants to know how a victim suffered and died. We know MR clobbered his son's head twice. We know he used a sharp knife due to indentations. We know he dismembered his son's head, at some point. We know his deceased son's body was in the bed of his truck. Also, DRs cell ph records tell a story, too, by shutting down contact at 9:34PM.

I caught someone's post earlier about the fishing pole. There was no fishing pole missing. Right? That was part of the planned set up in Mark's head. DR never went to sleep that fateful night, jmho. Perhaps DR died on, or near, the sofa and was carried right on out to the bed of his bio dad's truck until he could be Taken deep into the mountain, under the cover of darkness.

I remember posters stating they must not have found anything when they searched MR's house. Seems they most certainly did.

This case shows that there may be a ton of evidence in a case - like Kyron's, Abby and Libby's, Kaytlynn's, etc., that we just aren't privy to. And that lack of an arrest doesn't mean there isn't enough to charge. That perhaps it comes down to timing, and/or to who the prosecutor is and their personality, etc. Or just needing one more piece of an almost complete puzzle.

I'm thankful to know how much work they do and how they don't give up on these cases.

I agree with you it seems like there are quite a few cases that when the perp is found you find out LE has quietly been building the case against that person, making sure it is airtight.

Denver7 legal analyst on Dylan Redwine case: Most harmful evidence against father is son's blood
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...harmful-evidence-against-father-is-sons-blood

"Redwine is scheduled for his first court appearance in Whatcom County Superior Court in Bellingham, Wash., on Monday at 3 p.m., where he will officially learn he’s charged with second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

Each charge could bring 48 years in prison.

Redwine will also have to answer if he will waive extradition. If he says yes, that will get him back to Colorado faster and start the speed trial clock."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisacfuller