Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 2h 2 hours ago
Next witness: Major Frank Hughes, Mass. State Police.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes was/is Director of Investigative Services; he's called to respond to MIT on the 18th for an officer shot.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 2h 2 hours ago
Hughes says he was alerted about the MIT shooting & the carjacking on April 18 & 19, 2013 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes says he was listening to radio traffic on his way to Watertown, heard about the explosions @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes next gets the call about a carjacking... and after that he gets call to Watertown.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes says investigators responded to Spruce & Lincoln St where the stolen black Mercedes SUV was found @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes gets to Watertown to find roads shut down over fear of explosive devices being in the street.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes says tactical teams - SWAT - were coordinated & deployed overnight. The area was cordoned off into 4 quadrants @NECN #Tsarnaev

Intersection of Spruce and Lincoln Streets is where the Mercedes SUV is found abandoned, Hughes tells jury.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes says the teams began going door to door about an hour before sunrise. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes explains how police officers are stationed around all these streets, search teams are sent out. #Tsarnaev

Hughes: we next progressed to house-to-house searches, during which we try to get into homes to look for the suspect who fled.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes: Governor Patrick is consulted every hour or so by this point; then, a 5am meeting with police chiefs & law enforcement.

Hughes says there was a meeting with high ranking officials sometime before 5am to decide what to do. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes: "The governor had requested that a shelter in place take place in 6 communities" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 1h 1 hour ago
Hughes explains the shelter in place was lifted at about 6pm, manhunt not over @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 1h 1 hour ago
Hughes: we took several security steps; incl. MBTA police, MSP at Logan airport, undercover at airport, et al.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes: Governor asks for "shelter in place" in 6 communities; ask public to stay at home, not drive, until further notice.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes: Shelter-in-place ends around 6pm on 4/19 but manhunt continues; MSP airwing takes back to the sky; more house to house searches.

Hughes: we get a call from a resident on Franklin Street; he calls 911 to say he thinks someone is in his boat in his backyard.

Hughes: Watertown police received a 911 call from a gentleman at 67 Franklin St in Watertown @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes says the air wing was deployed over the house, neighborhood shut down & police agencies surrounded the area @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes on the Watertown boat discovery: "I believe every type of law enforcement agency in the area was there" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes: we set up a perimeter around that boat.
#Tsarnaev

Hughes: suspect was taken out of boat.
Do you see him in court?
Hughes points at #Tsarnaev, who stares ahead.
That's it from govt.

Watkins will cross examine MSP Major Hughes for the defense.
#Tsarnaev

Prosecution is done with direct questioning. Tim Watkins is doing cross examination for the defense @NECN #Tsarnaev

Hughes says it may have been an hour & a half from when #Tsarnaev was found & when he was arrested @NECN

How long from when everybody arrived to #Tsarnaev arrest?
- Maybe an hour and a half.
Most were self-deployed?
- I don't know.

Watkins: you arrived after the gunfire at the boat?
-Yes.
W: you did not see the boat?
-No.

Hughes on seeing #Tsarnaev that night: "I saw him travel by me on a stretcher" @NECN

Watkins is asking Hughes about "flash-bangs" - Hughes says it disorients the person @NECN #Tsarnaev

Watkins: they used flash-bang grenades at the boat scene; are they used to make blinding flash of light?
Hughes: they disorient people, yes.

Watkins: there were several thrown into the boat, right? and there was no reaction from #Tsarnaev?
Hughes: they were done over time.

Hughes agrees on cross examination that there was no reaction from #Tsarnaev after several flash-bangs @NECN

The jury is now seeing #Tsarnaev as he is coming out of the boat, bloodied, with his hands up @NECN

Hughes is now shown one of the famous images of #Tsarnaev leaving the boat.
#Tsarnaev

Jurors seeing that picture now; he's got right hand up, wearing what looks to be same grey/blue/yellow hoodie from that ATM surveillance.

Re-direct:
What's the purpose of a flashbang?
- To disorient someone and encourage a surrender.

Defense presses Hughes on what #Tsarnaev was wearing & if he was bloody - Hughes said he had a blanket on when he saw him on stretcher @NECN

Was there a concern #Tsarnaev was armed?
- "Absolutely".

Defense done with cross. Prosecution asks if #Tsarnaev surrendered. "Numerous requests were made, they were ignored" @NECN

W: And there was never a reaction from #Tsarnaev?
Hughes: not that I know of, no.

Hughes agrees law enforcement thought #Tsarnaev was armed. Hughes is done. @NECN

That is all from both sides; the major is excused.

Next witness will be the owner of the Slipaway II where #Tsarnaev hid.

The government calls boat owner David Henneberry, then asks for a sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Lawyers call for sidebar; more jazz piano.
#Tsarnaev

Post-sidebar: turns out, the boat's owner David Henneberry is not here today. So court ends early.

After sidebar, judge says we will stop for the day before Henneberry's testimony. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge reminds jurors not to visit locations in Watertown that were mentioned today. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: before I send u home, "Please don't go to Watertown" to see any of these locations for yourself.
#Tsarnaev

Court stands in recess until Tuesday at 9am.
#Tsarnaev
-----------------------------

https://twitter.com/jimarmstrongwbz

https://twitter.com/alyshanecn

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 19m 19 minutes ago
Witness James Floyd describes watching Watertown firefight with #Tsarnaev brothers, reviews photos from street.

CAPuvLuWYAAo4_a.jpg:large

Jim Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 2h 2 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ
Some of the photos from Andrew Kitzenberg.

CAPXeHgWUAA3CSf.jpg

CAPXeKrWMAAevYM.jpg

CAPXeKXWoAAgScz.jpg

CAPXeJRWgAAT0zX.jpg

More from AM boat tour.

CAPQuToWoAAuzgU.jpg

CAPQuTuWUAAV_AE.jpg

The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe 22m22 minutes ago
"If I had seen blood out there, I wouldn’t have investigated it” David Henneberry said in 2013 http://ow.ly/KpkA4

CAPhmdiVEAAU-gP.jpg

BostInno ‏@BostInno 3h3 hours ago
The government could rest its case against Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev in a week & a half http://buff.ly/1BJgChT

CAO3vmPXIAA_aZn.jpg

Peter Wilson ‏@PetesWire 2h2 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ
Sketch: Jury views boat where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured.
Credit: Jane Rosenberg

CAPNn87UIAIthlO.jpg

New details emerge from Boston bombing trial

Alex Witt and New England Cable News reporter Alysha Palumbo discuss the latest details from witness testimony at the Boston bombing trial.

http://www.msnbc.com/alex-witt/watch/new-details-emerge-from-boston-bombing-trial-413215299575
---------------------

Tsarnaev and Jury View Boat at Undisclosed Location

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...story.html?s_campaign=bcom:socialflow:twitter
---------------

Cops Recall Deadly Shootout with Boston Bombing Suspects

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bo...ects-boat-where-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-hid-n324231

140411-boston-marathon-bombing-mn-1200_685a919a05317cc062bd61284cdaff29.nbcnews-ux-800-600.jpg

(Police officers guard the entrance to Franklin street where there was an active crime scene search for the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings on April 19, 2013, in Watertown, Mass.)

140414-watertown-shootout-main_f0026382234f7ce8a89e4b4d50455eaa.nbcnews-ux-800-600.jpg

(Police with guns drawn search for a suspect on April 19, 2013 in Watertown, Massachusetts.)

150316-boat-bombing-trial-mn-1050_e66d2193420c16013cf362847e21b3af.nbcnews-ux-800-520.jpg

(Jurors see the boat where DzhokharTsarnaev was hiding when he was captured.)

Jim Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 19h 19 hours ago
NEW: A pipe bomb tossed at police during Tsarnaev shootout.
@JimArmstrongWBZ wraps today's testimony at 6 pm on #WBZ

CAP9OIRUYAAhOv3.jpg:large

Jim Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 19h 19 hours ago
NEW: The evidence markers after #Watertown shootout with Tsarnaevs
@JimArmstrongWBZ wraps testimony at 6 pm on #WBZ

CAP-X0FUgAAfCLJ.jpg:large

Jim Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 21h 21 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ
The capture and arrest.

CAPlAhTU8AA9jkl.jpg

CAPk_2HVEAAiHqb.jpg

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 5h 5 hours ago
Day 8 of trial to begin w/ testimony of #Watertown man who found #Tsarnaev hiding in his boat (now in evidence).

CATAATzXIAAIA5m.jpg:large

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 4h 4 hours ago
I'm back at federal court for the 8th day of the #Tsarnaev trial. Watertown boat owner David Henneberry is expected to testify first @NECN

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 4h 4 hours ago
Courtroom 9 is filling up in anticipation of a very busy day - lots of testimony about forensics & the various crime scenes.
#Tsarnaev

No explanation for the delay in #Tsarnaev this morning; lawyers are here and gallery is pretty much full; no defendant, judge or jury yet.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 3h 3 hours ago
We are still waiting for the jury & judge so testimony can begin. #Tsarnaev has not been brought in yet either @NECN

Bill & Denise Richard are talking with AUSA Nadine Pellegrini as we await the start of court @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 3h 3 hours ago
#Tsarnaev enters court; rubbing his hands together, looking down.
Jurors enter, Judge says "Happy St. Patrick's Day."

#Tsarnaev is in court in a black suit & light blue button down collared shirt. Jury and judge are in court now too. @NECN

The government's first witness of the day is Watertown boat owner David Henneberry. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt immediately calls David Henneberry, the Watertown boat owner.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry is a lifelong Watertown resident; calls his neighborhood around Franklin Street busy but quiet.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry says he owned a 1981 Seabird boat called Slipaway II back in April 2013 @NECN #Tsarnaev

HenneberryL I always kept the boat in my yard for the winters, after having it shrink-wrapped.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry says in the winter he would have the boat shrink wrapped & towed to his yard @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry says the boat covering had a zippered opening so he could check on the boat @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry: We got shelter-in-place call on 4/19, watched police activity out his window. Noticed part of boat's shrink-wrap looked loose.

But Henneberry did not go out to investigate, "I didn't wanna be in the back yard" until they called off the shelter in place at 6pm.

Henneberry said he noticed two of the "chaffing guards" were out of place and the shrink wrap looked loose @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry says when the shelter in place was lifted he went to inspect his boat, got a ladder & put it up to the boat @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry: I went out to fix the boat; I thought something came loose in the wind. I got my ladder to look...
#Tsarnaev

H: "I noticed a lot of blood...on the deck of the boat, inside."
#Tsarnaev

H: "It like somebody got a bad cut, dripping, smudge. Not a huge amount, but enough."

Henneberry on the blood: "I'm standing on the ladder looking in the door, where does it come from?" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry: "My eyes looked at the other side of the boat, that's when I saw the body in the boat" @NECN #Tsarnaev

H: I followed the path of the blood, there was more as I looked.
"That's when I saw a body in the boat."
#Tsarnaev

H: "I could see his boots, or shoes, black. I could see his pants..." A hooded sweatshirt pulled up over his head.
"No movement at all."

Henneberry says he got off the ladder as quick as he could, his wife handed him he phone & he called 911 @NECN #Tsarnaev

H: I quickly went back inside, my wife could tell something was wrong, I called 911.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry now sees photos from night of 4/19, his ladder still resting against his boat.
#Tsarnaev

The jury is now seeing photos of Henneberry's house, boat, backyard & ladder @NECN #Tsarnaev

The jury is now seeing this photo of Henneberry's boat, look closely & you can see the bullet holes @NECN #Tsarnaev

CATdXGOWEAAnUj8.jpg:large

Here's another angle of Henneberry's boat after the Watertown manhunt @NECN #Tsarnaev

CATd2w0WMAAg9q_.jpg:large

Henneberry now sees police photos of his boat from the day after the capture, surrounded by police tape.
#Tsarnaev

A close up photo of the pencil shows blood on the tip of it @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry says he knows this was his pencil because it has his step son's company name on it - Duffy Plumbing Corp @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev was lying in his boat along side the engine block, which runs the length of that part of the vessel.

Weinreb asks Henneberry if that solid engine is enough "to stop bullets".
#Tsarnaev

Now seeing pictures taken from inside the forward berth of the boat; inside, pictures of a sharpened pencil, blood on the tip.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry: I left that pencil in the boat when I prepped it for winter; the pencil has a logo from my stepson's company.
#Tsarnaev

im Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 4h 4 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ
The boat.

CATd-VOVEAAbdiJ.jpg:large

Jurors are seeing the bloody pencil tip now; they are scrutinizing it.
Henneberry says there was no blood on it when he put it there.

Pencil says "Duffy Plumbing" on it; it is Henneberry's stepson's company.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry now sees the handwritten note on his boat; says it was certainly not there when he wrapped up the vessel for winter.
#Tsarnaev

Henneberry is looking at photos of blood stained, bullet-riddled writing in his boat - says not there when boat was wrapped @NECN #Tsarnaev

The jury is now seeing a photo of wooden slats inside the boat that have writing carved into them @NECN #Tsarnaev

Carving in wooden slats reads, "Stop killing our innocent people and we will stop" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jury seeing photos of two wooden slats now; you can see writing carved into both boards. Capital letters.

That's it for Henneberry by the prosecution; Defense atty. Tim Watkins will cross-examine him.
#Tsarnaev

Watkins: you looked at your boat on the 20th?
H: no, I didn't.

Henneberry: I never looked at the back of the boat on April 20th; I wasn't allowed there. But I can recognize these pictures.
#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong retweeted
Peter Wilson @PetesWire · 3h 3 hours ago
@JimArmstrongWBZ
Another shot of boat.

CATgPP3UMAAaoG-.jpg:large

Henneberry says under cross examination he was never allowed to go back to his boat to see what it looked like in person @NECN #Tsarnaev

Henneberry says he has seen the photos of the boat, blood & bullet holes @NECN #Tsarnaev

Another photo of Henneberry's boat, with torn shrink wrap hanging down & ladder propped up to it @NECN #Tsarnaev

CATgod4XEAAkRif.jpg:large

Jury is looking at a photo of the back of the Slipaway II with the swim platform facing them. Defense points out blood drops @NECN #Tsarnaev

Watkins: This blood, these bullet holes - they weren't there before April 19th?
Henneberry: No they were not.

#Tsarnaev

Watkins is now showing Henneberry pictures taken inside the boat after "the incident" had ended. Blood, debris, evidence markers.
#Tsarnaev

In this next picture, Henneberry recognizes his boat toolkit he had left packed in his boat. It is open.
#Tsarnaev

Defense points out bullet holes in the name of the boat, more blood smudged on the edge of the boat @NECN #Tsarnaev

The jury is now seeing a photo of blood smeared on the deck of the boat, near some clothes & a life vest @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jury is seeing a photo of a tool kit & pencil that had been in his boat. Perhaps what was used to write & carve the messages @NECN #Tsarnaev

Watkins: "Nothing further"

Henneberry steps down.

#Tsarnaev.

Defense is done with Henneberry @NECN #Tsarnaev

The next government witness is Stephen Silva. He looks at #Tsarnaev as he's brought into court @NECN

Next witness: Stephen Silva, arriving cuffed and in gray prison garb. He shoots an angry stare at #Tsarnaev as he walks past defense table.

Silva is 21, from Boston.
He's incarcerated on gun and drug (heroin) charges, he tells jurors. He's pleaded guilty. Case is pending.

Silva was brought into court in handcuffs & a tan prison outfit, says he's been in jail 8 months for heroin & gun possession @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he made a plea agreement with the government @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he understands if he cooperates he may get a better sentence at sentencing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva keeps looking over at #Tsarnaev, who is now sitting forward in his seat, kind of hunching his shoulders.

Jury is reading Silva's plea agreement; he gets a better sentencing deal, maybe, if he cooperates in this case.
#Tsarnaev

Silva: "I was close friends with him, I recognize him," he says of #Tsarnaev
First met in 8th grade; saw each other every day.

Silva says he was good friends with Dzhokhar, met him in the 8th grade, remained friends through high school @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva: "He's a person I would consider one of my best friends back in the day" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva and jury see June, 2011 graduation photo of the two men in their robes, locking hands.
#Tsarnaev

Dzhokhar's head is down as Silva testifies @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he kept in touch with #Tsarnaev even though they went to different colleges @NECN

Silva says his twin brother Steven was good friends with #Tsarnaev too @NECN

im Armstrong retweeted
@JimArmstrongWBZ
Stephen Silva, from a previous run-in with law enforcement.

CATjoX1UQAAgUt2.jpg:large

Both men went off to college, but kept in touch on Facebook, text messages.
#Tsarnaev

Silva testifies he made money in college by selling weed and lifeguarding at a Harvard pool, with #Tsarnaev.

Silva made money selling weed here in high school and then in college in Florida during freshman year.

Summer after freshman year, the men were back hanging out together, smoking, drinking, going back to the pool.
#Tsarnaev

Silva says on a typical day in the summer he & #Tsarnaev would drive around, smoke weed, drink, jump off cliffs @NECN

Goes to Florida, but Silva is back in Mass by late 2012, lives w/ brother & friend in apartment together.
Silva is back selling marijuana.

Silva: it felt necessary to leave Boston "my mother told me police came to my house looking for me, something drug related" @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev would visit that apartment a few times a month, Silva testifies.

Silva says he went to Florida for a while, sold more marijuana, then came back & lived with his brother & friend in Revere @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says #Tsarnaev would come to his house a few times a month, they would communicate a couple times a week @NECN

Silva says his brother was robbed in October 2012, after that they talked about getting a gun for protection @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva & co. were scared about getting robbed of cash and weed, due to their business and clientele.
They talk about getting gun for safety.

End of 2012, Silva is given a gun by a friend who needs to get rid of *his* gun. From his friend Howie, he tells jury.

Silva said a friend asked for a favor to "hold down" a gun for him because "he needed to get it out of his house" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he put it in a ceiling panel in his apt in Revere. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he told his brother and a few close friends, including #Tsarnaev @NECN

Silva's fast-paced talk and mumbling force the court reporter to ask him to repeat himself. That almost never happens.
#Tsarnaev

Silva tells #Tsarnaev he has a gun.

Silva uses that gun "to commit a robbery" at a drug deal in 12/2012.

Silva says he used the gun "to commit a robbery" at a drug deal in Cambridge with his friend Nicholas @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva & accomplice "Nicholas" take the gun to Cambridge; they robbed a couple people who "were in a state of shock".
#Tsarnaev

Silva says he took the money, put it in his pocket, Nicholas pulled out the gun, left the car @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva tells #Tsarnaev about robbery; "he laughed," Silva says.

Silva says he also took the gun to a New Years Eve party "I was just being stupid, wanted to show it off" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva next takes gun to a friend's New Year's Eve party in Medford.
"I was just being stupid; I wanted to show it off."
#Tsarnaev sees it.

Silva says #Tsarnaev was at this New Year's Eve party when he brought the gun @NECN

Throughout his testimony Silva seems very put out to be here, often answers questions in an annoyed tone @NECN #Tsarnaev

In January, Silva says he & #Tsarnaev talk about the gun again.
#Tsarnaev asks to borrow the gun.

Silva "He said he wanted to rip some kids from URI."
(Rip = rob, he explains.)

Silva says #Tsarnaev asked in January 2013 if he could use the gun "he wanted to go rip (rob) some kids from URI" @NECN

Silva says #Tsarnaev came to his apt to pick up the gun a few weeks later with Dias Kadyrbayev @NECN

Silva: #Tsarnaev brings friend Dias to "hang out, chill, smoke weed" one day at Silva's apartment.

Silva shows them all the gun, which he kept in a ceiling panel hidden in a sock. #Tsarnaev handles it, tried to pass to Dias, who refused.

Silva and friends talk about the ammo he had.
"Gun was black...looked a little rusty...serial number was obliterated."

It said "P-95" and it also said "Ruger".
#Tsarnaev

Silva says he took the gun out of the ceiling panel, it was stored in a sock, about 10 rounds of ammo was in another sock @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says the gun was black, a little rusty, serial number was obliterated @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says #Tsarnaev took the gun, didn't really say anything @NECN

The jury is now looking at a photo of the rusty gun. Prosecutor Aloke Chakravarty brings out an evidence box @NECN #Tsarnaev

AUSA Chakravarty now puts on a rubber glove, opens a white box marked evidence/biohazard and "suspect firearm".
#Tsarnaev

Defense attorney Miriam Conrad examines the gun, before Chakravarty holds it up to Silva @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense team inspects the Ruger; #Tsarnaev doesn't seem to be looking.

Silva says he gave that gun to #Tsarnaev in February 2013 @NECN

Ruger is held up in front of Silva; he immediately recognizes it as his gun.
Says he gave it to #Tsarnaev in Feb., 2013.

Silva: I thought I would get the gun back in "a couple weeks at most."
#Tsarnaev

Silva says he was expecting to get the gun back shortly after he gave it to him "within a couple weeks at most" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says #Tsarnaev came back to the apartment to pick up the gun & ammunition @NECN

Silva: #Tsarnaev eventually comes to get gun and asks "for food for the dog", his code for bullets.

Silva says #Tsarnaev picked up the gun alone in a friend's car @NECN

Silva: #Tsarnaev was alone when he came to get the gun; he was driving a UMass Dartmouth friend's black Camaro.

Silva: a few weeks later, I ask #Tsarnaev if I can have my gun back.
"Howie" (original owner) was looking for it by this time.

Silva says his friend Howie was asking for the gun back, so he asked #Tsarnaev for the gun @NECN

Silva says he kept asking #Tsarnaev for the gun back, "he just kept coming up with excuses, beating around the bush" @NECN

Silva: Howie originally had to get rid of the gun because his mom searched his room, FYI.
#Tsarnaev

Silva: I kept asking for the gun back, but he wouldn't give it.
#Tsarnaev "just kept coming up with excuses. I was in a rush..."

Silva: #Tsarnaev "was a very good student in high school." He had a high GPA, high 80s; struggled early in college, got better 2nd semester.

Silva says he knew #Tsarnaev was pretty good student in high school, kind of struggled 1st semester of college, improved 2nd semester @NECN

Silva says during a terrorism discussion in high school #Tsarnaev criticized American foreign policy @NECN

Silva took high school class with #Tsarnaev; conversation turned to terrorism.

Silva: we were asked is terrorism ever justified.

Silva: #Tsarnaev said "American foreign policy tends to be a little hostile to the middle east, persecuting Muslims"

Silva: #Tsarnaev said US "tends to be a little hostile towards the Middle East, going to war, trying to take over people's culture" @NECN

Silva: #Tsarnaev said "Americans shouldn't be able to go anywhere they want to force them to believe what they believe" @NECN

The jury is looking at photos of the Cambridge home where the #Tsarnaev brothers lived @NECN

Silva: At #Tsarnaev's house, I once met his brother's wife.

Silva: I was in #Tsarnaev's room on top bunk, we were watching "The Walking Dead".

Jurors now seeing still photos of #Tsarnaev family home; interiors of the bunk beds; the computer on which they watched "Walking Dead".

The jury has now seen photos of Dzhokhar's bunk bed, computer & black flag with white writing on it hung on his wall @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva testifies he lived in the apartment building next to the Shell & Mobil gas stations where carjacking victim escaped @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says #Tsarnaev often went to his apt. off Memorial Dr. in Cambridge; it's a stone's throw from gas stations visited night of carjack.

Silva says the two men went to the gas station there all the time, bought snacks, drinks, blunts.
#Tsarnaev

“@RalphHornsby: @AlyshaNECN @NECN Is this cross or direct?” Still direct

Prosecutor asks if Silva ever saw #Tsarnaev wearing a knit Red Sox hat. Silva says yes @NECN

Silva also positively IDing a Red Sox knit hat often worn by #Tsarnaev. Next, a photo of #Tsarnaev in his bedroom.

Silva says he went to the New Bedford apt of Dias Kadyrbayev & Azamat Tazhayakov 1 time in spring 2013 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva: I have also been to apt. of Dias and Azamat, down in New Bedford; they were #Tsarnaev's friends from UMass Dartmouth.

Silva recognizes most people in a NYC Times Square photo of 5 people, in which you see #Tsarnaev, Dias, and Azamat.

Silva has now identified Azamat & Dias from the widely publicized photo of #Tsarnaev on a trip to NYC @NECN

Silva says the last time he saw #Tsarnaev was a day or two after his 20th birthday in April 2013 to buy marijuana with Dias @NECN

Silva: Last time I saw #Tsarnaev it was early April, 2013 at the parking lot of my mother's apartment complex (behind the Mem Dr. Shell).

Silva: #Tsarnaev wanted to purchase marijuana that day; he had Dias with him.

Silva says he & his twin brother were selling marijuana to Dzhokhar & Dias that day, Silva asked again for the gun @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva: #Tsarnaev wanted to purchase marijuana that day; he had Dias with him.

Silva asks #Tsarnaev again about the gun. He gave me "another excuse".

Silva: "I told the defendant I loved him" and then he left.
#Tsarnaev

Silva: "I told the defendant I loved him & got out of the car" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says after the marathon Dzhokhar's phone had been turned off so he reached out to him through Twitter @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva: Thursday night, 4/18, I see photos of him at the Shell gas station on the news.
He does NOT recognize Tamerlan.

Silva says he had talked to #Tsarnaev about the marathon but only when Dzhokhar went to it in 2012 with his brother @NECN

Silva says he had never met Tamerlan before.
#Tsarnaev

Shown a photo of Tamerlan, Silva says he doesn't know him and has never met him. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says when he saw Dzhokhar was a suspect in the marathon bombings "I was in a state of acute shock disbelief, paranoia" @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev is carrying the energy drink Red Bull in this picture from the Shell convenience store.

Silva sees the picture of #Tsarnaev and freaks out; he throws out his phone, stops selling weed, becomes paranoid.

But by late 2013, Silva is selling again: cocaine, Molly, Rx drugs. "I had to accommodate my clientele," he tells jurors.

Silva says he stopped selling marijuana in April, then started selling cocaine & Molly in the fall of 2013, was arrested @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva gets arrested at JFK/UMASS station at end of 2013, posts bond, gets out and keeps selling...through 2014

When he got out Silva sold heroin to a confidential informant, was arrested again. Charged w/conspiracy to distribute heroin @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev seems to be looking in Silva's direction as he continues on the stand @NECN

Jim Armstrong retweeted
@JimArmstrongWBZ
The Times Square photo.

CATuhmMUQAAbgrO.jpg:large

We circle back to Silva's plea agreement now. He faces 5-7 years he believes; hoping to get less time by cooperating here.

Silva says he faces mandatory sentence of 5-7 years in prison, says sentence could be reduced if he cooperates with govt @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva also bragged to that confidential informant about the gun he gave to #Tsarnaev; says he was being stupid then too.

Silva: "I have not received no promises," just told to be cooperative and helpful.
#Tsarnaev

The judge has decided we will take our morning break. Silva is brought out first then #Tsarnaev @NECN

Before leaving the courtroom Silva testified "I discussed the possibility of whacking somebody" with confidential informant @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva looked sad & disappointed as he entered and left court, looking in Dzhokhar's direction @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva is led out of court; #Tsarnaev lingers in courtroom, then is escorted out himself.

#Tsarnaev is back in court after the morning break, adjusting his collar as he walks in, then chatting with his attorneys @NECN

#Tsarnaev re-enters courtroom, adjusting collar of the suit jacket he presumably puts on seconds before entering.

#Tsarnaev is engaged in conversation w/ lawyers - doesn't look up at old best friend Stephen Silva as he re-enters court and passes him.

Witness and inmate Stephen Silva has been brought back into court. Again he's dressed in a tan prison outfit @NECN #Tsarnaev

Awkward silence: Silva on stand, US Marshals everywhere, we await judge/jury.
#Tsarnaev

We begin.
#Tsarnaev

Silva admits he also told the confidential informant that he considered "whacking" someone, paying someone to do it.

Back from morning break, Silva says he never followed through on his threat to have someone whacked @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva: I've seen #Tsarnaev get angry a couple times, like when I called him a Russian refugee.

Silva says #Tsarnaev was proud of his Chechen heritage "he would get upset, get angry, say shut up, I'm not Russian" @NECN

Silva: He'd get angry, tell me to shut up, I'm not a Russian.

Silva: When #Tsarnaev got mad at me, he'd call me a name that meant infidel, or non-believer.

Silva says #Tsarnaev called him a "caffer" a "non-believer or infidel" @NECN

Prosecution done. Miriam Conrad is doing cross examination for defense @NECN #Tsarnaev

Direct exam is done, Miriam Conrad rises to handle the Silva cross examination. She has her laptop and three full binders with her.

Conrad: did #Tsarnaev ever talk to you about religion?
Silva: not really, no.
C: You told the same thing to Rolling Stone magazine?
S: Yes.

Conrad gets Silva to admit he talked to Rolling Stone about #Tsarnaev under the pseudonym "Sam" @NECN

Silva went by "Sam" in the Rolling Stone article.

Conrad: You were shocked post-bombing b/c you'd never seen #Tsarnaev do anything like that?
Silva: Yes

Silva says of Dzhokhar "I've never seen him violent" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Under cross examination Silva admits he posted on Facebook that he thought Tamerlan had influenced Dzhokhar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Didn't you say at the time, even post on Facebook, that it must have been #Tsarnaev's brother who got him into it?
-Yes, I did.

Conrad: You told FBI you felt "150% that Tamerlan" influenced #Tsarnaev?
Objection.
Sustained.

Under cross Silva admits Dzhokhar never showed animosity for the U.S. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: #Tsarnaev was well-liked, popular, "one of the realest and coolest kids you knew"?
Silva: yes.

Was he violent?
"No, I never seen him violent."

#Tsarnaev

Conrad: He was humble?

Silva: "Yes, he was."

C: You never heard him say he had resentment about America?
S: No.

Conrad: you guys smoked weed, went up to Swampscott to jump off cliffs, chased girls?

Conrad:"In fact it was you who introduced him to smoke marijuana" Silva says he doesn't think he smoked w/him his 1st time @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad asks if Silva knew he was easily influenced, was someone who was easily corrupted -government objects, judge sustains @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: didn't you tell the govt you used peer pressure to get #Tsarnaev to smoke weed?
Silva: I can't recall.

Conrad: you knew #Tsarnaev was easy to influence?
Objection.
Sustained.

Conrad: didn't you post online how easy it was to corrupt #Tsarnaev?
Objection.
Sustained.

Conrad: "Did he tell you you don't want to meet my brother?" Silva: "Yes he did." @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva:he said his brother was very strict very opinionated & since I wasn't a Muslim he would give me a little s*** for that @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: did you use peer pressure to get Dzhokhar to smoke marijuana? Silva starts to refute that claim, Conrad interrupts @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: that's what you told the prosecutor. Silva: I didn't force him to smoke weed, we were smoking weed together @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad got Silva to agree when he went to Dzhokhar's Cambridge apt he didn't know if the flag, computer, etc were his @NECN #Tsarnaev

C: you were friends for 6 or 7 years and you never went to his house until that one time?
S: correct

C: did he tell you, 'you don't want to meet my brother?'
S: yes.
C: did you ask him what that meant?
S: yes

Conrad wants Silva to talk about the fear #Tsarnaev had of his older brother, but keeps getting objected to.
Judge finally calls a sidebar.

Very fast sidebar; just a few piano notes.
Conrad is back.

Conrad is showing Silva a copy of an earlier statement he gave; "This is for impeachment" she tells the judge over another objection.

Last August Silva told govt he used peer pressure to convince #Tsarnaev to smoke weed; now he says he misspoke last August.
Conrad pounces.

Govt objections are now being overruled

Conrad flips through binder, moves on to pics from #Tsarnaev bedroom.
"That was the only time you'd been there, right?"

- Do you know who else might have used the computer in there?
- No I do not.
- Or whose items were there?
- No I do not.

#Tsarnaev

Conrad: Now to the gun.
You showed #Tsarnaev the gun long before he asked to borrow it, right?
- I don't remember exact date.

Conrad is now asking Silva to clarify his timeline of when he showed Dzhokhar the gun, talked about loaning it to him @NECN #Tsarnaev

-You kept asking for the gun back?
- Yes I did.
- But he never gave it back?
- No.

#Tsarnaev

Silva now says it was sometime in January or February. Originally said January. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says he didn't believe Dzhokhar's excuses. Conrad: "What if he gave it to somebody else?" Objection. Sustained. @NECN #Tsarnaev

- You didn't believe his excuses?
- No, he was BSing me.
- Did you believe he still had it? Gave it to someone else?
- objection

Silva says he didn't believe Dzhokhar's excuses. Conrad: "What if he gave it to somebody else?" Objection. Sustained. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: Would you have loaned him the gun if he told you it was for his brother? Objection. Overruled. Silva: No. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad is now reviewing the lies Silva admits he has told prosecutors - recently - about using the gun for robbery himself.

Conrad: You did this to get your sentence lowered?
Silva: "I'm hoping to get the best deal I can possibly get."

#Tsarnaev

Conrad: your original sentencing date was today - but you wanted to testify here first to get yourself a good deal, & govt wanted that too?

That earns an objection, and Conrad moves on, now reviewing Silva's plea agreement that requires "substantial assistance" from him.

Conrad points out Silva's sentencing date was originally scheduled for today, it was postponed so he could testify. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad shows Silva's plea agreement saying request for a reduced sentence "rests solely in the discretion of the U.S. Atty" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: so it's up to the prosecutor to decide to recommend a lower sentence?

#Tsarnaev

Conrad: I have nothing further for you, Mr. Silva. Thank you very much.

Defense is done with cross examination. Prosecution is doing redirect with Silva @NECN #Tsarnaev

Chakravarty shows Silva his plea deal, asks him to explain what it means to him. Silva says he can't lie, hide the truth @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jury now reading along... Silva says he knows his testimony here can't be used against him and he must tell the truth today.
#Tsarnaev

Silva says as he understands it, a judge is ultimately able to reduce his sentence - or not - regardless of what US Atty's office suggests.

Chakravarty has Silva read a heading in the plea deal "court not bound by agreement" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Chakravarty "does that say the sentence to be imposed is in the sole discretion of the court?" Silva: yes @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva says his understanding of the plea deal is "if I give truthful testimony I stand the best chance at sentencing" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Prosecution done. Defense is doing re-cross of Silva, asking more about plea agreement @NECN #Tsarnaev

Redirect is done, Conrad wants to do recross now.
#Tsarnaev

Conrad: the govt. can cancel your plea deal if you do something they don't like?
Silva: Yes.

Conrad: you have in fact lied to them right? Silva: yes. @NECN #Tsarnaev

C: You have in fact lied to them, right?
Silva: (long pause) yes.
C: You lied about robbery, right?
S: yes.

Conrad: has gov't told you they won't help you now because you've lied already?
Silva: No.

Conrad: you have violated the terms of the plea agreement. Has the government informed you it's going to cancel your plea? @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva gets a very confused and almost angry look on his face, as he explains he knows nothing about any of that. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Conrad: or because you've had friends visit you with fake IDs? or because you're making homemade alcohol?
-Objection.
-Sustained.

Defense is done with Silva and he is taken back to holding with US Marshals @NECN #Tsarnaev

Silva steps down, with a sideways glance at #Tsarnaev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141