Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe this is the wrong spot for this and if so I apologize. But, what good are these GPS's or whatever they are on these sicko-pedofiles' ankles. Am I not understanding what they are capable of doing or not doing in keeping track of these nutjobs? We are going to the expense of purchasing and attaching these tracking devices on these 'animals' yet to what good? Have they actually saved someone or convicted someone? My curious mind wants/needs to know.

Maybe this is the wrong spot for this and if so I apologize. But, what good are these GPS's or whatever they are on these sicko-pedofiles' ankles. Am I not understanding what they are capable of doing or not doing in keeping track of these nutjobs? We are going to the expense of purchasing and attaching these tracking devices on these 'animals' yet to what good? Have they actually saved someone or convicted someone? My curious mind wants/needs to know.

In my daughters case it saved her life. It depends on who puts it on IDOC or circuit court. And who is watching and that they don't use the GPS as an excuse not to do their job and check on the parole.

I think they are very useful if used properly. They're a tool just like a pencil is a tool it won't draw a picture the person needs to use it.

They do help to convict those who run or violate the safe zones and the prisoners hate them because they (or most have curfews). There is no legal recourse for them to have them removed once in place by DOC. Prisoners don't like that. Go see what prisoners talk about. That's how I found out about GPS from them on www.prisontalk.com prisoners find many ways around the system. We need to be a step a head not behind them.

What I've found is you as a victim have to be involved in the process and check and dbl check everything. Many people don't want to do that and just want to move on with their lives. Or some die. It's very sad.

I personally believe they are a good tool if used properly. I also wish there was more accountability and less passing the buck when things go wrong.

Many GPS are being used in phones and postal service for $4.99 a month. Many states have the criminal pay for it. It's a good tool if used properly. I think it gave a false sense of security just like the officers visiting Garrido did the neighbors. Follow through and accountability and transparency between justice divisions is a must. I don't understand why it isn't being done.

Here's a story about a rapist who was let out and they forgot to put the GPS on him. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-lincoln-park-rapesep04,0,2129655.story

This is an epidemic and all of you ought to be able to see that.

• Look at all the crimes you help investigate
• Look at the huge numbers of the missing
• Look at the rise in sex trafficking
• Look at the stories you watch on dateline and like shows

We need to find a way to help deter crime just like you do with health. Like not smoking to decrease lung cancer.

Good to hear that Patrick McQuaid took note of it...Shame he didn't find it within himself to do something about it; given that he knew that "creepy Phil" was a registered sex offender. How many people in this case have performed as EPIC FAILS!???

Most of all - those in a position to do something at both a federal and a state level. SHAME ON THEM ALL!

MOO

The linked article in the examiner fails to mention that he (McQuaid) was 9 years old at the time.

updated 3 hours, 10 minutes ago
By Stephanie Chen
CNN
There were at least 16 visits from parole officers and seven by the fire department. There was also one by the sheriff's office responding to an allegation that people were living in the backyard. State and local authorities have now begun internal investigations to find out why none of these visits uncovered the existence of Dugard, now 29, and her children, Starlet, 15, and Angel, 11. more at link: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/07/garrido.dugard.missed.opportunities/

Tightening The Parole Watch On Sex Offenders

Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 12:37 pm
Filed under: Parole, Probation

Efforts by probation and parole officers to improve their public image took a big hit with the 18-year abduction of Jaycee Lee Dugard in California. Defendant Phillip Garrido, a sex offender, was visited periodically by a parole officer, but it took nearly two decades to catch on to the fact that he had abducted the then-11-year-old Dugard and later fathered two children with her.

Granted that it was a parole officer who finally discovered the scheme this summer, why did it take so long?

.” More

I am wondering if the PO he had maybe had listened to PG's discussions on religion, his 'voice box' and maybe thought he might be a harmless kook, who was too far gone to be a danger now?

I do wonder how long he had been PG's PO, how much attention he had paid to PG's previous conviction, and how much he considered the fact that a sex offender, esp a violent sex offender, just doesn't change over and go straight.

Veteran parole officers know that sex offenders typically are “manipulative and secretive,” says Bill Burrell, former director of adult probation in New Jersey, who now trains officials. “They don’t want people looking around” to find violations of their release conditions. Agents appear to have done only superficial checking on Garrido, Burrell says, adding, “They should have done more aggressive searches of the property.”

Another longtime parole official, who declined to be identified, called the California case a “major screw-up.” Said this official: “One of the main reasons to do home visits is to ensure there is nothing out of the ordinary occurring at the residence. The fact that they did not see the tent [where the young women were living] is unbelievable. Thorough examination of the residence looking for signs of wrongful activities specific to the offender’s criminal history is vital.” More
About time somebody from LE admits it was a major screw-up, instead of the attititude we're hearing along the lines of: "but look, it was a parole agent who busted him now!":mad::mad::mad:

Tightening The Parole Watch On Sex Offenders

Burrell says, adding, “They should have done more aggressive searches of the property.”

Another longtime parole official, who declined to be identified, called the California case a “major screw-up.” Said this official: “One of the main reasons to do home visits is to ensure there is nothing out of the ordinary occurring at the residence. The fact that they did not see the tent [where the young women were living] is unbelievable. Thorough examination of the residence looking for signs of wrongful activities specific to the offender’s criminal history is vital.” More

It's sad to say - because (imo) a PO with common sense would do this (and I don't want to hear the tired they have too big a case load argument) - but it looks like a new Policy needs to be drafted.

If an offender is living in a single family residence, follow up on the residence. Check available resources, i.e. County Records for the total square footage of the residence and the property (ya mean it didn't stop right out at that there fence :waitasec: ?) , check Google Maps for an overview of the area.

The same goes for task forces that sweep the offender's home, and the list goes on ...

IMHO this PO should be retired, and given a plaque on a tree for having no "B**LS".
Yes an embarrassment award. He is a loser.
He did not do a job, he showed up for work so he can get a pension. :furious:
SOB should be fired.

The entire Parole enforcement should get a brand new Job description that they must do, or lose their pension.
PO's are always working with those that need to be monitored, and checked and not just stroked.

How many parole officers have "supervised" this guy over an 18-year period? I am sure it's not just one. What is their role? What exactly are they instructed to do? How exactly are they charged to carry out their job? What were they doing? How were they doing it? What reports did they/did they not file? How many times has this convicted rapist kidnapper been psychologically evaluated since his release? How many times was he questioned? Where and when? How many times was his home surveyed? Inside and out? Did anyone ever look at where he was while on GPS? Was it recorded? Did someone ever look into this and write a report? Why didn't the parole officer (responsible at the time) never interview the neighbor that made the report of girls in the backyard ever interview the neighbor? Is there any report that includes questioning of the two legitimate individuals living with PG (NG and PG's mother)???

What the hay?

ETA - I hope that this horrific result manages to bring about changes to parole regulations that will help ensure that such a horrendous travesty of justice does not occur again.

I've read pretty much everything available to read since JC was "found" and despite having enormous respect for the Berkeley officers and the po that eventually "clued in" to something being off...I remain convinced that PG wanted to be caught. He dropped off his "manifesto" to the FBI the week before he hit Berkeley to distribute pamphlets, he met with the Berkeley officers with "Allisa" and the girls and he showed up to the "scheduled" meeting with his parole officer, of his own volition, with his ENTIRE entourage!

If this isn't an example of a guy that wanted to get caught (for whatever reason he may have had) I don't know what is!

MOO

I've read pretty much everything available to read since JC was "found" and despite having enormous respect for the Berkeley officers and the po that eventually "clued in" to something being off...I remain convinced that PG wanted to be caught. He dropped off his "manifesto" to the FBI the week before he hit Berkeley to distribute pamphlets, he met with the Berkeley officers with "Allisa" and the girls and he showed up to the "scheduled" meeting with his parole officer, of his own volition, with his ENTIRE entourage!

If this isn't an example of a guy that wanted to get caught (for whatever reason he may have had) I don't know what is!

MOO

I've also thought this from the beginning. I think he was so delusional that he really thought once the public and LE heard of his discovery he would be exonerated of his past and become famous for his discovery. I think he had all his ducks in a row and thought it was now time to go public. He tried to do this without being caught but no one would give him the time of day.

This guy screwed-up big time and there is no excusing it away! Jaycee could have been rescued years earlier if officer Santos had done any one of the following things: 1) check with other agencies regarding complaints, 2) talk to his next door neighbors- they saw and heard girls, tents, sheds, and loud parties back there, 3) checked property records/Google Maps/ Google Earth for the square footage of the property. 4) talked to his business associates- they would've told him about Garrido's "daughter Alissa".
Stephens said:
Actually, parole officers are required by CA law to interview neighbors and business associates when dealing with high-level threats, which Garrido was one of. In the past 20 years, neighbors and others have said no PO ever interviewed them.

MOO

I read somewhere that PG had just recently started taking the girls out and about with him, to 'socialize' them. I think that was also part of it.

I just reread the interview that PG did in jail. IMO PG thinks he is the 2nd coming.

People are going to be coming forward at this trial and that’s not all. I am going to give them at least in a state of shock when you see how many hundreds of thousands of people are going to come out and start testifying about something.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...40/Phillip-Garridos-interview-transcript.html

So he thinks that hundreds of thousands of people are going to read his document and it will so change their lives that they will flock to his rescue and he will lead them.

I hate to say this. But PG may have been somewhat normal, or at least cognizant and capable of telling right from wrong when JC was kidnapped. But I am wondering if he will be found capable of standing trial? He goes off topic of the questions, has grandiose thinking. It is going to be close whether they will determine if he is capable of understanding and assisting in the defense strategy.

I think the parole officer saw similar behavior from PG and thought the same thing. This 'kook' isn't capable of planning and carrying out a crime so I can get some slack here. Visits probably consisted of something like "How ya doin Phil, any problems, anything I should know about? Ok then see you whenever. You stay out of trouble now."

I think the Garridos will probably end up like that pair that kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. No trial if that happens.

Garrido stayed under the radar, despite contacts
updated 12:46 p.m. EDT, Tue September 8, 2009
By Stephanie Chen
CNN

The parole agent who most recently entered Garrido's backyard didn't notice any children's toys or items to indicate that minors were living in the house. The agent saw a shed but assumed it belonged to a neighbor.

Entire article: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/07/garrido.dugard.missed.opportunities/index.html.

Parole agents are not paid to "assume." :banghead:

The "parole agent" was filling out forms and I hope that he gets his chance to explain himself to Jaycee's family.

MOO

Garrido stayed under the radar, despite contacts
updated 12:46 p.m. EDT, Tue September 8, 2009
By Stephanie Chen
CNN

The parole agent who most recently entered Garrido's backyard didn't notice any children's toys or items to indicate that minors were living in the house. The agent saw a shed but assumed it belonged to a neighbor.

Entire article: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/07/garrido.dugard.missed.opportunities/index.html.

Parole agents are not paid to "assume." :banghead:

The photos released today really make it hard to defend the (non)actions. Looking at the backyard you would easily notice that parts are fenced off separately - like where the carports are. If he was looking he easily would have seen bikes and toys. Also, there had to be easy access to get to the far back of the property. I'm sure he didn't jump the fence as someone on here said the PO would have had to do!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back