Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO I cannot understand why the woman and her son and nephews are all penned up together! If there was a chance that any of them had not been exposed while Duncan was symptomatic, it is almost a guarantee NOW that they ALL will become symptomatic from exposure to each other!! Am I crazy?? It seems to me that they all should have been isolated immediately. The most likely person to have contracted it is the woman, and as soon as she has a fever, all the others are exposed. OOPS, too late,so sorry. Boy that makes me angry. JMO

No - I think your question makes perfect sense.

I am fairly sure that penning up 'potential' Ebola patients together in some of the containment facilities in West Africa has been quoted as a cause of spreading the disease in some cases. It is common sense really because unless you spot someone immediately as they become symptomatic, there must be a real risk that whoever is with them could contract the infection.

Not likely, article says he recently returned from Nigeria (I thought we heard Nigeria had this all under control???).

We did! I am therefore hoping that this is just a false alarm - better to treat it like Ebola until they are sure though.

Your thoughts on less people in Africa would be true for previous outbreaks (which is why they were easily contained) BUT this time it has gotten in to cities that are every bit as dense as Americans if not more (part of the reason it has gotten so bad). But it will not spread so quickly over here for several reasons:

1. General hygiene and sanitary conditions are so much better here.
2. Most Americans trust the healthcare system and will listen to their advice; also hospitals will save many more people here so everyone will realize that their best chance to live is to go to the healthcare system immediately after feeling symptoms which means they will be isolated very soon after becoming contagious. In Africa in many cases seeking the healthcare system is simply going away somewhere to die so even some educated and most uneducated people think what’s the point I’ll just stay home. This causes them to infect many members of their family and if they die at home their dead body is super dangerous.
3. I have followed the Ebola outbreak closely for several months to the point of reading African newspapers (oi vey), and there is something that I can't quite understand but is very real. There is a huge stigma on Ebola and many even educated people, who should know better, refuse to acknowledge that Ebola is real and around. One of the nurses who got it in Nigeria and eventually died gave it to her husband (possibly fiancé I don’t remember) who got very sick, but survived. I saw and interview with this guy and he totally refuses to believe he had Ebola and you can tell he believes it to his core ... He even totally accepts that his wife had it and he got sick after tending to her but cannot even entertain the thought that he had Ebola ... he was a university graduate and worked in marketing for an oil company so we're not talking about some dude in the bush with a bone through his nose. It’s almost like some of the people think if they just refuse to accept that they are getting sick they won't. Needless to say this causes them to go around and expose many more people.
4. In the US culturally we have little contact with dead bodies, often they will die in a hospital and then they are taken to a morgue. I don't think there is even such a thing as a morgue in Africa. People bury their own and tradition is that the family washes the body and people kiss the corpse at the funeral. The body of someone who just died of Ebola is massively filled with the virus and is the most contagious thing there is. But again there is the stigma and all kind of people try to hurry up and quickly bury their family members because they refuse to accept that they died of Ebola and it’s almost like if they can bury them before the crews come to test them they won't have to accept that they died from Ebola. And if they don’t accept they had Ebola they wash the body and kiss the corpse.

The stigma is weird this one village refuse to acknowledge Ebola was there, but were super pissed off because they were certain someone had poisoned there well causing all these people to die. I don’t doubt this guy from Liberia didn't think he had been exposed the family told him she didn't have it and he believed them because he didn't want to believe otherwise or just couldn’t. Now he has spread it here, so you see what a problem this is.

Thank you for responding. Very informative post as someone else above me mentioned. Especially the part about the burial ritual - that would explain the blurb I reposted before about 2/3 of the cases being thought to have come from contact during burial practices.

Your thoughts on less people in Africa would be true for previous outbreaks (which is why they were easily contained) BUT this time it has gotten in to cities that are every bit as dense as Americans if not more (part of the reason it has gotten so bad). But it will not spread so quickly over here for several reasons:

1. General hygiene and sanitary conditions are so much better here.
2. Most Americans trust the healthcare system and will listen to their advice; also hospitals will save many more people here so everyone will realize that their best chance to live is to go to the healthcare system immediately after feeling symptoms which means they will be isolated very soon after becoming contagious. In Africa in many cases seeking the healthcare system is simply going away somewhere to die so even some educated and most uneducated people think what’s the point I’ll just stay home. This causes them to infect many members of their family and if they die at home their dead body is super dangerous.
3. I have followed the Ebola outbreak closely for several months to the point of reading African newspapers (oi vey), and there is something that I can't quite understand but is very real. There is a huge stigma on Ebola and many even educated people, who should know better, refuse to acknowledge that Ebola is real and around. One of the nurses who got it in Nigeria and eventually died gave it to her husband (possibly fiancé I don’t remember) who got very sick, but survived. I saw and interview with this guy and he totally refuses to believe he had Ebola and you can tell he believes it to his core ... He even totally accepts that his wife had it and he got sick after tending to her but cannot even entertain the thought that he had Ebola ... he was a university graduate and worked in marketing for an oil company so we're not talking about some dude in the bush with a bone through his nose. It’s almost like some of the people think if they just refuse to accept that they are getting sick they won't. Needless to say this causes them to go around and expose many more people.
4. In the US culturally we have little contact with dead bodies, often they will die in a hospital and then they are taken to a morgue. I don't think there is even such a thing as a morgue in Africa. People bury their own and tradition is that the family washes the body and people kiss the corpse at the funeral. The body of someone who just died of Ebola is massively filled with the virus and is the most contagious thing there is. But again there is the stigma and all kind of people try to hurry up and quickly bury their family members because they refuse to accept that they died of Ebola and it’s almost like if they can bury them before the crews come to test them they won't have to accept that they died from Ebola. And if they don’t accept they had Ebola they wash the body and kiss the corpse.

The stigma is weird this one village refuse to acknowledge Ebola was there, but were super pissed off because they were certain someone had poisoned there well causing all these people to die. I don’t doubt this guy from Liberia didn't think he had been exposed the family told him she didn't have it and he believed them because he didn't want to believe otherwise or just couldn’t. Now he has spread it here, so you see what a problem this is.

Thanks for a very informative post. You answered some of the questions I was thinking about. The thanks button wasn't enough.

So did this second patient have any connection to Duncan? Was he on the plane or at the airport? I wish the news would give more details, just tweeting without more info is irresponsible and will just feed the panic. IMO

no they are just being super cautious because he just came from nigeria AND in no small part because everyone is going out of their way to make sure they get egg on their face like the hospital in dallas.

EDIT: lol that should say " ..... make sure they don't get egg on their face ..."

They're all starting to show up with USA having a neon sign to come here for treatment.. This is already starting to become a nightmare.

I have just got back from work and am catching up, so please forgive me if this one has already been done to death.

I don't think that people in US come into contact with more people that in the capitals of Nigeria and Senegal - yet both of these countries managed to contain their outbreaks. Lagos is one of the most over populated cities on earth isn't it - yet they managed to do the required contact tracing and isolation.

Thank you - I wasn't sure if the outbreaks in Africa were concentrated more in cities or rural areas.

I said "average" or "most" as I'm aware that there are plenty of populated cities in Africa but at the same time I would think that some of the more rural areas have people that would have a lot less person to person contact beyond their immediate area. I mean, in the U.S. even people living in very rural areas usually have cars and can potentially have quite a bit of contact with other people. I think of some of the village areas in Africa having a lot less of that contact outside of their area, but I admit I could be quite ill-informed of what the demographics are in Africa.

Hope that makes sense....I'm not always the best with words. :)

So Jallah who was with ebola patient is a health care worker and so is her husband and they're not in quarantine? She dealt with the ebola man while symptomatic right?

No Jallah is quarantined with her mother Louise, her husband Aaron, and some others. But they were in the emergency room too when Duncan was brought in the 2nd time.

Holy eff at the other cases popping up. I do think it's good that they are being cautious of it and testing people no matter what. At least things are being handled.

Holy eff at the other cases popping up. I do think it's good that they are being cautious of it and testing people no matter what. At least things are being handled.

As long as they quarantine them and retest accordingly

Well I am just glad they sent 3,000 U.S. troops over there....with the overall lack of knowledge I think that will work out very well. :rolleyes:

I also decided this was a good time to buy latex gloves and face masks just in case casual visits to the grocery store become worrisome. Am considering adding gloshs (sp) to the mix. Ain't nobody gonna be spewing body fluids onto me or touching me so I think that is a good start.

you need a hood, but maybe you could just use a plastic bag or something in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appt