Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't they test negative a lot of times right at first and then later positive. I know I've read that.

This pt is still in iso and the result is considered prelim according to the tweets I am reading.

I believe that they do, but Texas Law trumps the CDC. Texas is running the show, for now. JMO

Well they need to stop running the show and let the big heads move this along. We have already proven that we can not handle it here in TX alone. Though I will say as days go on right now and no others coming down with it my worry is going down. But every time I hear any of the local leaders talking only makes me think they have no clue how to tie their shoe and it only makes me freak out until I remember no one new came down with it.

Thank god those two were negative. Now lets hope the D.C one is negative too. Obama needs to shut down the boarder travel IMO.

What about all of the probably dozens of times the patient flushed the toilet prior to hospitalization?

The city's waste water treatment facility chlorinates the waste water, so the chlorine will destroy any virus that may have been flushed.

The city's waste water treatment facility chlorinates the waste water, so the chlorine will destroy any virus that may have been flushed.

Not according to the infectious disease Dr who said the waste treatment facilities weren't enough.. That waste had to sit five to ten minutes in a special solution before being flushed.

The stigma is weird this one village refuse to acknowledge Ebola was there, but were super pissed off because they were certain someone had poisoned there well causing all these people to die. I don’t doubt this guy from Liberia didn't think he had been exposed the family told him she didn't have it and he believed them because he didn't want to believe otherwise or just couldn’t. Now he has spread it here, so you see what a problem this is.

Perhaps that someone was also practicing black magic. When illness or a disaster strikes in an African village it is not at all uncommon to accuse someone of witchcraft and cast them out or worse (same goes for many children that have nightmares or become a problem).

When a deadly disease hits, it could be witch craft or the U.S. or just a conspiracy, everything but actual germs, that explains why Ebola Wards were raided and patients "liberated".

When misfortune hits a village, there is a tendency in some countries to suspect a "witch" of casting a spell.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19437130

This has the potential to get stupid really quickly because at any given time, don't probably a few million citizens have ' flu like ' symptoms from FLU or other bugs? At what point do you draw the line or will they quarantine everyone who has diarrhea ? Or a fever? Messy!

if they have recently been to liberia guinea sierra leone nigeria and possibly Senegal just to be safe. I'd also just throw in CAR DRC and south sudan and sudan just just out of CYA.

Ok so we have one in utah, one in kentucky, two in DC area and one in Jail in GA .
So far GA is negative and one in DC is negative? Right ! Batting 40% :)

ETA Not to be disparaging to inmates, but some are notorious for doing and saying anything to get out of their cell. So hopefully the jailers verified he actually traveled like he said he did ;)

Well, the national healthcare system has gone to electronic records, so maybe the nurse didn't ask him about his travels to countries that have Ebola. Somehow a lightbulb didn't go off when he said he was from Liberia. I'm thinking the nurse is more at fault for not catching that info. rather than the doctor, but the doctor should have been the safety net to isolate him the first time.

I wonder if it wasn't that the nurse was someone who doesn't follow the news much so it was not on the top of her mind. Also someone posted her at the time he did not have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. So that makes it a little more understandable.

You and I are thinking alike today, Schmae. The media is creating panic with all these reports and why are the hospitals releasing the information at all. They should wait and only report if there are confirmed cases.

I agree it just makes people coocoo

Just saw this.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - As the CDC continues to track down the people who had contact with Thomas Duncan, America’s first diagnosed case of Ebola, the health agency has identified 10 people as “high risk.”
The CDC has made contact with about 100 people that had possible contact with Duncan, and has now whittled down the list of people it needs to monitor daily to 50. Of those, 10 individuals who had the closest contact with Duncan have been classified as “high risk.”
The CDC says none of the people under observation is sick at this time. But the agency will continue to monitor all 50 of them for the full 21-day incubation period of the virus. Daily monitoring includes a temperature reading twice a day. A public health worker will also offer education about the virus and ask about symptoms.
“We have cast a wide net, and we have decided on a group of people that we have a very low bar for deciding to follow,” said Dr. Beth Bell from the CDC, during the agency’s daily conference call about the Ebola situation in Dallas. She says the agency has a very “low level of concern about the vast majority of these people.”

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/03/cdc-identifies-10-people-as-high-risk-from-dallas-ebola-case/

Maybe it's coming together now.

Thank you - I wasn't sure if the outbreaks in Africa were concentrated more in cities or rural areas.

I said "average" or "most" as I'm aware that there are plenty of populated cities in Africa but at the same time I would think that some of the more rural areas have people that would have a lot less person to person contact beyond their immediate area. I mean, in the U.S. even people living in very rural areas usually have cars and can potentially have quite a bit of contact with other people. I think of some of the village areas in Africa having a lot less of that contact outside of their area, but I admit I could be quite ill-informed of what the demographics are in Africa.

Hope that makes sense....I'm not always the best with words. :)

I see where you are coming from.

I was answering from the viewpoint of looking at those countries which (apparently - fingers AND toes crossed) have contained their outbreaks. I don't believe the US is any more populous than the areas of Nigeria and Senegal which had the outbreaks, so I remain pretty hopeful that this can be contained.

I am somewhat dismayed by some of the apparently bumbling foolishness being displayed by those that should be in charge and on top of this - but I really hope this is just teething problems and everything gets into gear.

As a side note....seems there is no recent news about China and Ebola. Last I heard they have quite a lot of mining operations in Africa (run by Chinese Nationals). So what are their policies? Google doesn't seem to know and I am quite sure the Chinese government has some strict policies/procedures in place by now.

Thank you Le singe for sharing the results of your cultural research. Very much appreciated.

I am going to post links to two extremely informative in-depth articles for the benefit of those who want to delve a little deeper into knowledge of the ebola virus and the disease syndrome. These articles are not written at the layman's level, but there is enough within each that is understandable enough that many will still learn from the article. (Just skip on over the parts that you don't understand, there's plenty that you will understand.)

Article in New England Journal of Medicine written in May 2014:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1405314

Article discussing clinical aspects of care and lab testing for the original cases from 1976. This one is super good for nurses in terms of what to expect:
http://www.itg.be/internet/ebola/ebola-12.htm

Thank you for responding. Very informative post as someone else above me mentioned. Especially the part about the burial ritual - that would explain the blurb I reposted before about 2/3 of the cases being thought to have come from contact during burial practices.

Thanks you! and yes.

Heres another example i don't know if you hear about the information team in Guinea that got murdered by villagers because they believe and the health teams are spreading Ebola and they also were saying the is no ebola here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member