Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NTA News ‏@NTANewsNow 21m21 minutes ago
BREAKING: Nurse in Spain tests positive for Ebola; the nurse was part of team that treated Ebola victim in Madrid

Governor -Many of the circumstance can only be tackled at the federal level.

That's a strange statement coming from our governor. Just a couple of years ago he was wanting to secede from the United States. Just saying...............

There is an interview on BBC News with an Economic Analyst and virology expert. I will try to transcribe the main points:

Risk analyst : people are starting to take the risk seriously now.

Level of panic generated by the case in Dallas is starting to concentrate minds.

If we don't attack Ebola in Africa we are going to have to deal with it in the West.

Virologist: Nigeria is one of the success stories. Risk to UK drops substantially because Nigeria has dealt with the problem. However, wise countries need to be prepared.

Q Should we curtail flights?

A: what effect would that have? We cannot cut the countries off completely - need to balance economic needs with PH needs.
Even with PH measures, some people will get through - Liberian patient who got to US showed no signs of the disease either leaving Liberia or arriving in US.

Risk analyst:
Health systems of all three most affected countries have been decimated by war and they do not have the resources to have mounted the response Nigeria did, even if they had caught the outbreak early enough.

Q: US Health officials are talking about the threat - is it worse now?

A:Most of PH advice has been about how little risk there is of Ebola harming the West, but the real issue is that in West Africa they do not have the resources to deal with it. There is a lack of personnel, of isolation facilities, of personal protective equipment.

This is getting close to being the medical equivalent of a Tsunami, but we are not seeing an equivalent global response.

We need rapid deployment of support and facilities. Most of the pledges are minimal compared to what is needed and the sense of urgency simply isn't there. We are not seeing the emergency global disaster response that we would expect for a major global disaster.

Virologist:
Now cases have been seen in the eastern provinces of Guinea and Liberia which means that the border with Ivory Coast may be crossed soon and another country will be affected. IC is not like Nigeria - it does not have the wealth to deal with an outbreak in the way that Nigeria did.

The CDC has enterovirus D-68 to deal with also, looks like it mutated?........... CNN..........sorry O/T

Jumping off your post, Would it be that much of a travesty to ALL countries to close borders for 3 weeks to stop the spread globally, come on 3 weeks is nothing. jmo idk

I wonder if the government, paying the airlines for lost revenues,comes in to play here at all.....

It's called being negligent and if someone's negligence killed your loved one a major lawsuit might keep it from happening again to others

It's probably better that the hospital use that money for infection control. That might be more successful.
:/

That's a strange statement coming from our governor. Just a couple of years ago he was wanting to secede from the United States. Just saying...............

Incorrect--do some research. Just saying.....

Just watching the news.

Showing a family bringing their relative to a treatment centre in Sierra Leone. The centre was full so they turned them away without any protective equipment.

The correspondent ended up giving them her alcoholic rub and five single latex gloves (well she dashed up, dumped them on the bonnet of the car and retreated rapidly, bless her. Not taking any chances!) and off they went.

The good news was the sight of three little girls who had recovered in the treatment centre after receiving supportive care and that one of the workers at the centre found out about a bed becoming available and could let the family at the beginning of the report know - so hopefully their relative will get the care he needs.

We have a blog here called 'diary of an ER nurse'................very good, I feel for her big time............
yes with 2 sets of gloves feeling for a vein for IV................in her words through her eyes...............

It's probably better that the hospital use that money for infection control. That might be more successful.
:/

I doubt it and previously stated I wasn't planning on suing the hospital.. Money wasn't the issue either.

Does anyone know if this was the hiv drug the Dr in Africa had success with?

By 2011, the collaboration with NIAID had reached its conclusion and a new partnership with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) began with the goal to complete the development of brincidofovir as a medical countermeasure against smallpox. The Chimerix Smallpox Animal Efficacy Development Program plans to enter the equivalent of Phase 3 testing in 2014 in support of an NDA submission for brincidofovir for treatment of smallpox.

http://www.chimerix.com/c/discovery-clinical-trials/brincidofovir-smallpox.php

Questions related to Ebola

http://www.chimerix.com/c/discovery-clinical-trials/brincidofovir-ebola.php

He gets ZERO slack. He lied.

Bingo! Even if he didn't know Marthalene had Ebola, he still knew she was ill, bleeding out her mouth, and died that night. Even if he thought it was malaria- he still had a duty to report it. The question was "Have you been in contact with someone who was ill in the last 21 days?" Didn't specifically say Ebola, so even if he thought she had malaria, he lied. His selfishness/ignorance will cost him his life and needlessly take down others with him, probably including his girlfriend, so no pass from me and I still think it would be helpful to close our borders!!!

CNN Brooke whats-her-name just said that Duncan had not seen Louise in 16 years?? Hello? Didn't I read that Louise visited Liberia this last August? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste