Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is giving antibiotics considered "minimal treatment"? To me that seems Duncan was examined by a doctor who had to prescribe them.

All of what you stated would be minimum treatment. Antibiotics are the wrong thing to give patients who may have a virus. Would like to know what diagnosis was given by the doctor.

Hope this board does not go into attack mode on the family who has just lost a loved one, I can see it heading that way already.

JMO It has been that way for quite a while now, and now that the despised Duncan is dead and there will be no prosecution, the vitriol and denigration has turned to poor Louise. Reading is a study in group dynamics. Sad, but interesting, nevertheless. JMO

??? From WHO, "The virus [ebola] is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

From web md, here are 39 diseases you can get from animals. Rabies was the first one that popped in my head.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/diseases-from-animals-primer

Yes, bats and bushmeat. People living in third world countries don't have the luxury of going to clean grocery stores for food.

JMO It has been that way for quite a while now, and now that the despised Duncan is dead and there will be no prosecution, the vitriol and denigration has turned to poor Louise. Reading is a study in group dynamics. Sad, but interesting, nevertheless. JMO

Well said.

Can someone help me out here? The deputy entered the apartment without protective gear, but wasn't watched by anyone because he didn't have direct contact with Duncan? What?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CDC has said it is transmitted through human waste such as sweat, vomit, etc... And the virus can live on surfaces. So I'm not understanding why he wasn't watched. They sterilized the apartment, but aren't worried about those who went in it prior? Ugh. This whole thing just isn't making sense to me.

Yes, bats and bushmeat. People living in third world countries don't have the luxury of going to clean grocery stores for food.

Right. I was just refuting the poster's assertions that diseases aren't transmitted from animals to people.

Quoting myself in response.
This is a family that has received a free furnished house in a gated community, donated food, free medical care including experimental drugs, ventilator, and dialysis as as result of Duncan's actions. They have nothing to complain about IMO.
and did not honor the quarantine when asked, facts.

Re: a pair of $2 bbq tongs

I understand that is beyond most of our imagination -- that there is a notion that what these folks need to do is run to a supermarket and get some tongs, gloves, masks and bleach etc. This is a third world country there is nowhere to do any of this stuff

IMO

The $2 bbq tongs comment was about the Spanish NURSE that got infected in the Spanish HOSPITAL while supposedly removing her own hazmat suit.

In a first world hospital employees dealing with this sort of pathogen should have ASSISTANCE and DISINFECTANT and AVOID coming into contact with the outside/contagious portion of the suit. They have a staff, they have supplies, they can figure out how to REMOVE a Hazmat suit without making the suit wearer touch the outside.

Of course in Liberia and other nearby countries BBQ tongs, bleach, basic disinfection would be unreasonable.

So why are you so concerned about the dog thing?

Are you worried that DOGS might introduce the virus into your state or into your home? Are you worried about dogs from West Africa arriving on international flights to Louisiana and infecting the local populace?

This isn't about dogs, if you want to kill or get rid of your dog you don't need to use Ebola as an excuse.

There is NO clinical link to canine infection or transmission whatsoever, but if you want to kill your dog you don't need to find a reason, and using Ebola as a reason is stretching things to an extreme.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

I own two of the most adorable, affectionate and smart dogs in the world. It would KILL me to see them suffer, or be put down.

That being said, if there was proof that this disease is zoonotic, between canines and humans, I could not live with myself (and probably wouldn't have to!) if I knew my dogs could take out the city, state, etc.

God, please don't let this be!!!

Can someone help me out here? The deputy entered the apartment without protective gear, but wasn't watched by anyone because he didn't have direct contact with Duncan? What?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CDC has said it is transmitted through human waste such as sweat, vomit, etc... And the virus can live on surfaces. So I'm not understanding why he wasn't watched. They sterilized the apartment, but aren't worried about those who went in it prior? Ugh. This whole thing just isn't making sense to me.

Why did they not give the deputies at the very least gloves and face masks?
They already knew Duncan had Ebola by the time they send deputies in.

So many mistakes and miscalculations have been made around the world.

Ignorance is bliss. . .

I could not agree more.

I have yet heard them say thank you for all the help they have been given.

Your statement is false. Louise has thanked the community numerous times over the past week. How cruel to paint her this way.

I want to thank the Dallas Community, the church and the Liberian community; and, in particular, County Judge Jenkins; Mayor Rawlings; my pastor, George Mason; Saymendy Lloyd; Stanley Gay; and Alben Bush for all the love and support they have shown me and my family during this ordeal. Without their help, I can’t imagine how we could have endured.
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/dallas-church-plans-vigil-for-ebola-victims-family.html/

I have no idea. On www.wfaa.com they said "Sgt. Monnig says they were assured by health officials that no one inside the apartment was showing symptoms of Ebola and that the danger was remote." I don't know if I'm just dumb, but I'm just not understanding any reasoning behind this. We know so little about the disease. IMO this was irresponsible of the officials in charge of keeping everyone safe. Btw please forgive my errors, I'm typing on my phone!

I could not agree more.

AS you can tell, many citizens in my country suffer from severe xenophobia......unfortunately, like ebola, there is no vaccine for it. JMO

Quoting myself in response.
This is a family that has received a free furnished house in a gated community, donated food, free medical care including experimental drugs, ventilator, and dialysis as as result of Duncan's actions. They have nothing to complain about IMO.

And this family did not ask for any of this, they did not want the attention and were forced into the "freebies" by virtue of Mr. Duncan's illness. Would you or I accept this? Certainly would, we would not have a choice. Yes, they do have things to complain about, how about losing a loved one?

This family is suffering and you say these disparaging remarks about them? I do not know them but I can put myself in their position, they had no choice. If they go on to sue for various and sundry things, then that is a different thing.

I am just saying to have some empathy for this family in their loss, it has not been fun for them being away from their loved ones and friends, the freedom to go shopping etc. Along with that, they have the possibility of contracting Ebola hanging over their head.
You make it sound like they were sent on an all expense paid cruise around the world!

And this family did not ask for any of this, they did not want the attention and were forced into the "freebies" by virtue of Mr. Duncan's illness. Would you or I accept this? Certainly would, we would not have a choice. Yes, they do have things to complain about, how about losing a loved one?

This family is suffering and you say these disparaging remarks about them? I do not know them but I can put myself in their position, they had no choice. If they go on to sue for various and sundry things, then that is a different thing.

I am just saying to have some empathy for this family in their loss, it has not been fun for them being away from their loved ones and friends, the freedom to go shopping etc. Along with that, they have the possibility of contracting Ebola hanging over their head.
You make it sound like they were sent on an all expense paid cruise around the world!

They should have educated themselves before doing anything. That being said, it looks like our healthcare officials are poorly educated in exactly what Ebola is and how Ebola is spread. I can barely listen to the CDC head guy w/o thinking he doesn't know either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste