Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx lyra. I've been worried I suddenly couldn't count. It does help.

Best
Hc

She also nursed th second priest according to the BBC and he died on 25th September. Not sure if that helps at all, but it does fit the 2-21 day incubation period.

I read she started developing symptoms Sept 30th

sorry for the false info, i posted too quickly and double checked too slowly.

its a horrific disease.
initially i thought ebola can never spread that fast in our first world countries, but after hearing about that health care worker i am not so sure anymore. she treated him in a fully equipped hospital in madrid, wearing protection and still she got the disease. .i live in austria and we have a person here who is currently being tested for ebola, disease has not been confirmed yet. he supposedly fled liberia and his parents have already died as a result of ebola.
i wish there was a 100% cure..
thats just my worries, i cant even begin to imagine what it must be like for the people living in the affected countries in africa.

Other people did not start to get ill and die until after Marthalene had died and been buried - so none of that alters the fact that her family could have believed she had malaria when she died. Nobody else was ill at that point.

I think Sonny her brother was the first to die. He started having symptoms at about the same time as Thomas Duncan - so around nine days after Marthalene died. Her mum and dad are currently being observed but have only recently started getting ill. A couple of neighbours got ill and I seem to recall that they died at about the same time as Sonny.

Ebola patients have red eyes. That symptom would be pretty hard to miss.

That's exactly why I didn't think it was a good idea to bring Ebola patients into countries that didn't have Ebola.
I knew it was going to happen.

Girl (his niece I think)who was in ambulance with Duncan has been given clear to go back to work as a CNA. She was around him when he was puking all over the place.

Seriously? Do these people understand what quarantine means?

Other people did not start to get ill and die until after Marthalene had died and been buried - so none of that alters the fact that her family could have believed she had malaria when she died. Nobody else was ill at that point.

I think Sonny her brother was the first to die. He started having symptoms at about the same time as Thomas Duncan - so around nine days after Marthalene died. Her mum and dad are currently being observed but have only recently started getting ill. A couple of neighbours got ill and I seem to recall that they died at about the same time as Sonny.

Here is some more interesting info about the Ebola outbreak in Liberia and why I believe Thomas Eric Duncan KNEW about Ebola. This was on September 1. He had contact with the landlord's daughter on September 15 and four days later, he came to the USA:

Funerals, ghost towns and haunted health workers: Life in the Ebola zone

By Lilian Leposo and Nima Elbagir, CNN
September 1, 2014 -- Updated 1951 GMT (0351 HKT)

ango Town, Liberia (CNN) -- At the gravesite in a northern Liberia village, there are no religious or traditional burial rites. No ceremony, no mourning, no family members, and no final goodbyes.

Nothing but a group of men dressed in space-suit-like outfits, cautiously throwing the dead body into the grave, they pause only to toss in anything else they are wearing that came into contact with the deceased.

These men are part of the country's Ebola response team, specifically tasked with burying anyone suspected to have died of the Ebola virus.

The virus is spread through contact with the blood and body fluids of people infected with Ebola, and it is still transferable even from a dead body.

To help combat the spread of the disease, the Liberian government has directed that its citizens should not bury anyone who dies of, or is suspected of having been infected with, Ebola.

For months Liberians ignored the directive, fearing that they would be ostracized by their communities if they admitted that their relatives had died of Ebola, but here in Lofa County -- ground zero of the country's outbreak -- almost everyone has witnessed the devastating suffering and numerous deaths caused by the virus.

Now almost anytime there is a suspected Ebola death in the community, they call in the Ebola response team to come and bury the body safely.

More info at link:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/01/world/africa/ebola-ghost-town/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

It is clear that Americans are afraid of Ebola, but the only way to stop this is to quash the epidemic in West Africa. Who is willing to donate to organizations like Doctors Without Borders that are on the ground at the epicenter of this epidemic?

Seriously? Do these people understand what quarantine means?

I dont get it. I really don't.

IMO, this is going to get ugly.
Quarantining seems like the first line of defense. It hurts no one to stay put for 3 weeks, enjoy the time off-pray you live through this and your loved ones don't suffer. Pay her to stay home. How can so many levels be taking this so lightly? Why is there no action plan anywhere? The world governments must have an agenda.IDK...

jmo

I dont get it. I really don't.

IMO, this is going to get ugly.
Quarantining seems like the first line of defense. It hurts no one to stay put for 3 weeks, enjoy the time off-pray you live through this and your loved ones don't suffer. Pay her to stay home. How can so many levels be taking this so lightly? Why is there no action plan anywhere? The world governments must have an agenda.IDK...

jmo

Seems like people are completely clueless.
We saw Duncan's puke power washed off by men with no protective gear.
The journalist that got Ebola thinks he got it by washing the infected car.
There were sheriff's deputies going into Duncan's apartment without any protective gear.
They could all get Ebola now.
Now I find out that people in direct contact with Duncan are going to go to work before 21 days is up?
What gives around there?

How much does a round trip ticket (Liberia) and visa/passport cost these days?

okay answer to my own question I looked through google..........

$250. for a visa and about $900 for airline ticket approx.

The average income in Liberia is $454 per year. He flew on United and the cheapest one way ticket on Brussels Airlines, which partners with United (he did fly through Brussels) was $1320 + fees. And that was just to Washington DC, not Dallas.

sorry for the false info, i posted too quickly and double checked too slowly.

its a horrific disease.
initially i thought ebola can never spread that fast in our first world countries, but after hearing about that health care worker i am not so sure anymore. she treated him in a fully equipped hospital in madrid, wearing protection and still she got the disease. .i live in austria and we have a person here who is currently being tested for ebola, disease has not been confirmed yet. he supposedly fled liberia and his parents have already died as a result of ebola.
i wish there was a 100% cure..
thats just my worries, i cant even begin to imagine what it must be like for the people living in the affected countries in africa.

Is Austria just itching to prosecute the unfortunate person? I really hope not. JMO

That is so sad, to know your loved one has no proper burial, just tossed away.
But it is to save lives. I think that is why the pepole won't say the word Ebola.

The average income in Liberia is $454 per year. He flew on United and the cheapest one way ticket on Brussels Airlines, which partners with United (he did fly through Brussels) was $1320 + fees. And that was just to Washington DC, not Dallas.

IMO, coming on a one-way ticket to the US would be very suspicious as Immigration wants to make sure a person returns to their homeland after a certain time (being here as a tourist only).

To just get married here in the US as his fiancee indicated would be illegal without the proper paperwork first being in place.

Ebola patients have red eyes. That symptom would be pretty hard to miss.

Ebola sufferers may have red eyes. From what I have read, some patients during later stages of the disease will show that symptom. The first symptoms shown by an Ebola patient are indistinguishable from the flu.

If his sole goal was to get to the US to marry Louise, he could've waited 3 weeks to fly. I think he did sneak into the US to get treatment because he'd heard Dr. Brantley and the others survived by getting treatment here.

I seriously doubt that this was the case. As soon as I read the article about neighbors of the
Williams screaming at them from a nearby hill, furious that they had not mentioned the Ebola, I realized that the diagnosis from the clinic was accepted by M. Williams' family and that is what they had told everyone. The brother of M. Williams, Sonny-Boy, only died last week, and had symptoms at the same as Mr. Duncan. Mr. Duncan didn't even know that Sonny-Boy had symptoms, because he had already traveled.

It is clear that Americans are afraid of Ebola, but the only way to stop this is to quash the epidemic in West Africa. Who is willing to donate to organizations like Doctors Without Borders that are on the ground at the epicenter of this epidemic?
Is this post a personal challenge??? My brother has donated his time to Doctors Without Borders.

IMO, coming on a one-way ticket to the US would be very suspicious as Immigration wants to make sure a person returns to their homeland after a certain time (being here as a tourist only).

To just get married here in the US as his fiancee indicated would be illegal without the proper paperwork first being in place.

It's possible that he had obtained a fiance Visa, but I just don't know. Another way to look at it is that the round trip ticket would cost twice as much, $2600+. I have no idea which type he had.

I seriously doubt that this was the case. As soon as I read the article about neighbors of the
Williams screaming at them from a nearby hill, furious that they had not mentioned the Ebola, I realized that the diagnosis from the clinic was accepted by M. Williams' family and that is what they had told everyone. The brother of M. Williams, Sonny-Boy, only died last week, and had symptoms at the same as Mr. Duncan. Mr. Duncan didn't even know that Sonny-Boy had symptoms, because he had already traveled.
But he did know that at least Marthalene died. He was there the night she died because he helped bring her back home, he carried her legs. Even if he thought it was malaria, he lied because he still knew she was ill and Liberia has been ravaged by Ebola. If he really believed it was only a miscarriage with her bleeding mouth and bloodshot eyes, <mod snip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18