Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people living in West Africa. The bats are for them a "delicatessen". That is one of the main reason why Ebola breakouts are happening. The bats, among other bush animals, are hosts of the Ebola virus.

Cause the bats eat infected mosquito's..and we know one strain of ebola (mubar?) is spread via mosquito s.....couldn't this one be too? Some folks tested positive for malaria first then later tested positive for ebola too? coincidence? or what?

ommon symptoms of malaria include:
  • shaking chills that are moderate to severe.
  • high fever.
  • profuse sweating.
  • headache.
  • nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • diarrhea.
  • anemia.

So in a way it makes sense there might be some problems, especially in a third world environment, differential diagnosis is even more diffucult, IMO

Yoda TY- provided insight

Doctor wears camera in ebola clinic in Monrovia to show what it is like.

Wow huh - just horrid, those poor people, both health pros and the suffering ( i only watched the first part - it was heavy - and profoundly sad).

And I bet there is a shortage of pain meds, so man what they are going through on their way to death is just horrible.

Sad stuff.....................................

I dont know is it just me but this visualization of them being able to take the temps of people from the area just seems like realistically not "doable". How on earth dre they going to do this ? Lets say 5 seconds , on plane with 300 people -- , just time wise

Cause the bats eat infected mosquito's..and we know one strain of ebola (mubar?) is spread via mosquito s.....couldn't this one be too? Some folks tested positive for malaria first then later tested positive for ebola too? coincidence? or what?
I have not read that there is any strain of ebola spread by mosquitoes. Do you have a link to that? I'm curious because i heard one strain was not a danger to humans but never that it was carried in mosquitoes. I have only heard of ebola being found in mammals.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html
"Can Ebola be spread through mosquitos?

There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus."

Spain killed poor dog for no reason.
There is some evidence dogs can get infected, but those dogs were eating contaminated meat.
There is no evidence dogs are involved in transmitting Ebola to humans.
They didn't even test the dog for virus.
They could have put the dog in isolation and tested it before killing it.
If they wanted to be cautious, they shouldn't have been bringing patients who were near death into the country. Who died anyway. It's ludicrous of them to kill the innocent animal.

“There is no biological reason for the dog to be infected that we understand,” he explained. “Pets and other domesticated animals in rural areas have not played a role in Ebola transmission that we know of.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/death-ebola-patients-dog-sparks-health-controversy/story?id=26043752

I don't know if the bats get Ebola-infected by eating mosquitoes.

I do know that Malaria if wide-spread in Africa and it's transmitted by mosquitoes. IMO, it's very possible that many people living in West Africa (and other countries in Africa) could get bitten by malaria-infected mosquitoes and get malaria as well as getting infected by Ebola.

Many years ago, I traveled to Kenya and did my research to be well protected from deceases which are present there. I started six weeks prior to my travel plans getting shots and medication for: Polio, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A, Malaria Prophylaxis (very important to continue with this preventative six weeks AFTER returning from Africa).

Here are the recommendations of Vaccines and Medicines given by the CDC for people traveling to Liberia:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/liberia#vaccines-and-medicines

Spain killed poor dog for no reason.
There is some evidence dogs can get infected, but those dogs were eating contaminated meat.
There is no evidence dogs are involved in transmitting Ebola to humans.
They didn't even test the dog for virus.
They could have put the dog in isolation and tested it before killing it.
If they wanted to be cautious, they shouldn't have been bringing patients who were near death into the country. Who died anyway. It's ludicrous of them to kill the innocent animal.

“There is no biological reason for the dog to be infected that we understand,” he explained. “Pets and other domesticated animals in rural areas have not played a role in Ebola transmission that we know of.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/death-ebola-patients-dog-sparks-health-controversy/story?id=26043752

This made me sad. IMO, there was no reason to put this poor dog down. Many people in Madrid were protesting against the euthanizing of this dog and many people signed the petition. They did it anyway. :(

CNN) -- More than 330,000 people have signed a petition on Change.org to save Ebola patient Teresa Romero Ramos' dog, Excalibur.

Ramos, a nurse's assistant, is in isolation in Spain after testing positive for the deadly Ebola virus earlier this week. Health authorities in Madrid are worried her dog also may have become infected.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/save-excalibur-ebola-dog/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This made me sad. IMO, there was no reason to put this poor dog down. Many people in Madrid were protesting against the euthanizing of this dog and many people signed the petition. They did it anyway. :(

CNN) -- More than 330,000 people have signed a petition on Change.org to save Ebola patient Teresa Romero Ramos' dog, Excalibur.

Ramos, a nurse's assistant, is in isolation in Spain after testing positive for the deadly Ebola virus earlier this week. Health authorities in Madrid are worried her dog also may have become infected.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/save-excalibur-ebola-dog/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

None whatsoever. They should have been so overcautious to begin with and not allow dying Ebola patients (who died anyway) into the country.
Not take it out on innocent dog.

AAAAhhhhh you mentioned that dreaded word that I have been hoping would not come up: mosquitoes!!!! Last night on one of the forums a scientist of some sort was speaking about it mutating to be spread by mosquitoes and he was even questioning if it wasn't already possible, as the other disease which is similar is spread by mosquitoes and a lot of hemorrhagic fevers are transmitted by mosquitoes.

I live in north queensland at the top of Australia which is really bad for mosquitoes and every summer here when it rains we have outbreaks of denque and Ross River Fever........not only that we also have thousands upon thousands of flying foxes (bats) which love our native trees, especially mango trees which we have in abundance here. Every night I have to listen to them squeaking and squawking as they are in our bottlebrush trees that we have at the front of our house. They are very scary here as we have also had humans die from diseases linked to the bats.....Hendra and lyssavirus....so far it has been quite rare in humans about 4 or 5 cases and contained in horses and dogs. Scary stuff...

This is OT, but we get the US show "Doomsday Preppers" here and my husband loves it, I usually laugh and say "its all scripted for telly, its too over the top", but if this is transmitted by mossies, then yep I'm joining them....

Trying to find link read it a few days back..still looking. But it does make sense honestly to me anyway..
This person thinks its possible but not the article I was looking for
http://www.mcb.uct.ac.za/ebola/ebonew17.html

Can it spread through mosquitoes?

There is no evidence to support this.
Humans, bats, monkeys and apes have the ability to spread the Ebola virus, but evidence so far indicates that mosquitoes and other insects can’t transmit it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/03/ebola-answering-10-basic-questions

I thought I would post this link as it has a photo of full protective gear if you scroll to the bottom of the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29531671

------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree it's absolutely necessary to use full protective gear. CDCchat on twitter today gave this link below as the hospital guidance for ALL health personnel to use. I know others already mentioned their guidance is lacking but until seeing it for myself I had trouble believing it. No foot wear for one. I'm really shocked. Good for hospitals in adding their own required gear to the list. I applaud them.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ppe-poster.pdf

I don't know how I feel about you guys (US) sending in 4000 troops as well. While I know that borders etc are going to need to be watched and it seems like they are going to be doing more of a policing job, it just doesn't sit right with me to take the risk with that amount of people from another country going into an area with a contagious disease and the risks associated with them taking it back to the US.... I am sure other countries will send in troops as well, as this worries me.......it could be a very bad outcome.

I also feel for those troops and their families!!!

Sneezing, Droplets-
Today, 10/8 in Twitter CDCchat the CDC infectious diseases rep stated sneezing, coughing in Very Close Proximity can transmit the virus, paraphrasing. This is the first time I've heard them say this.

On a slightly different note I've been thinking about immunosuppressed patients and how concerned they must be. Already just a minor bug can make them very sick.

Did anyone else watch the PBS show on Ebola tonight? It was quite interesting. (I haven't watched TV in a long time). Gotta love PBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member