Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I thought it was a pretty straightforward statement.

I think the costs of treatment/cleanup/quarantin/etc are the least of our concerns right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, right now they are, but soon could become a huge issue.

Sorry, I thought it was a pretty straightforward statement.

I think the costs of treatment/cleanup/quarantin/etc are the least of our concerns right now.

How can it be the least of our concerns? This was one person, and the costs are huge. What if more people come up with it?

Liberian Community in Texas Raises Concerns About Dallas Ebola Patient's Treatment

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/liberi...cerns-dallas-ebola-patients/story?id=26078938

The attitudes expressed by the 'Liberian community (because I guess they don't consider themselves Americans? or perhaps they aren't Americans, I don't know) just make me sad. The family thinks Mr. Duncan received substandard care because he--as the first patient in the country to be undiagnosed before he got here--wasn't immediately admitted and treated for Ebola. Did he tell the ER staff that he was very intimately in contact with someone in Liberia who died a few hours after his last contact? I doubt that, but here is a wake-up call for the Liberian community and every other community in this country--our hospitals, urgent care clinics, physicians, and walk-in clinics in grocery stores and pharmacies around this country are NOT accustomed to seeing or treating Ebola patients, and it is NOT going to be the first, second, third, tenth or even 20th diagnosis that comes to mind if you go in describing symptoms of fever and stomach pain. And let's be real here--flu is going to kill many, many more people in this country this year (as in every year past in history) than Ebola and there is no cure for flu, either. There IS a vaccine, but even that isn't 100% effective, and many people are more afraid of that than getting the disease that could kill them.

If every medical provider in this country is to now consider Ebola a primary suspect every time a patient comes in with stomach pains and/or fever and has to order tests, quarantine, hospitalization, etc. then our medical system would soon collapse. I don't care whether you have insurance or not, or are a citizen or not, it is just not logistically or economically possible to do that. So what are the alternatives? Quarantine every person who has traveled to or through West Africa for the past 30 days and in the future? Seal our borders? (We'll all take a moment to laugh at that concept.) Or maybe, just possibly, people who have handled critically ill, vomiting, bleeding individuals in one of the countries where Ebola is known to be rampant should very clearly and honestly state that instead of just magically expecting a country's medical establishment with no experience with this disease at all to diagnose it out of thin air.

As for the family's demands to know why Mr. Duncan wasn't transferred to Emory? Emory is a fine hospital, and we in this area are proud of it. But is is NOT the only hospital in the U.S. that is more than capable of treating Ebola if--and this is key--they already know the diagnosis when the patient arrives, which was the case with the two patients who survived there. Emory isn't the magical place where every Ebola patient automatically gets well, and ZMapp--even if there were still a supply of it, which there isn't--isn't a magical cure-all. Some of the patients who received it died anyway, and who knows? Maybe the ZMapp killed them.

It's just sad that there is this whole belief of persecution when the hard truth is that most of the patients who get Ebola are going to die no matter what treatment they receive.

How can it be the least of our concerns? This was one person, and the costs are huge. What if more people come up with it?

Well we can either spend now and halt outbreaks, or pay later.

Somehow I think we can find the money to pay to halt it now.

You are in your state or ebola is in your state? Sorry just popped in so not sure what is going on.

I am in my state and Ebola is in my state. Sorry for the confusion.

Just jumping of your post...

Really, I wish media / officials / anyone would not compare this to Aids.

I understand how this guy is comparing it to aids, originating in Africa and the world slow to react to it, yada yada, but if people start getting it in their head that this is "just like aids", they're going to have it in their thinking that it's only transmitted via sexual contact or contact with blood products.

This is worse than aids in terms of ease of transmission and how quickly it acts.

Sorry, I just think it's a dangerous comparison to make and I wish they wouldn't do it. Not everyone is out there reading up on exactly what Ebola is and how you catch it, and if all they hear is "this is just like Aids", they're going to think it's "just like aids" in more ways than one.

He was communicating to folks with over an eight grade education level perhaps..which is the target of media. It is VERY comparable to AIDS/HIV as to the steps the US government took :moo: That was his point. Hopefully, those with more than an eight grade education in the US understand...as the education level and language barriers etc that exists in Africa. But you perhaps are right... that too many potential folks have an educational level and cannot understand what is being said... that to most of folks here consider substandard.

More information in the article on the desperate situation, but this really annoyed me. Jmo
Sierra Leone officials finally released a shipping container filled with medical gear and mattresses that had been held up at the port for more than a month.

Ibrahim Bangura, an official who handles medical supplies, said the container’s contents were finally in his possession on Thursday. Bureaucracy and political infighting were blamed for delay in distributing the aid.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/09/u-s-military-planes-arrive-at-epicenter-of-ebola/

Fears that the Ebola outbreak will spread globally rose on Thursday with the deteriorating health of an infected Spanish nurse, a British man who died in Macedonia being tested for the virus and more demands by U.S. lawmakers for travel bans.

At least 26 members of the U.S. House of Representatives want travel bans and visa restrictions on citizens of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the impoverished West African nations hardest hit since the worst Ebola outbreak on record.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-fears-spread-as-briton-with-symptoms-dies-1.2794023

Cook author of the book Contagion was just on CNN. And he said the same thing some of the other stuff that I have read says. But it seems just the opposte. He said that because the host dies quickly- thats worse.

But, if folks are the most contagious, when symptomatic ( this sounds harsh not meant that way just tying to understand this) how could passing quicly not be better, for lack of a better word,
than remaining highly transmitable make it worse?

If it took six weeks typically in terms of mortality, then it seems like you would have weeks longer of being able to transmit it. Does this question make sense? What am I missing? It feels like a word problem (which I was not good at)..

shifting gears....It seems like media is playing the media like the deputy, solely because he is deputy sought to know a whole bunch more than all us the general population. If he was a CDC emplyee then this angle to the story has much merit, where does the expectation that he would know compared to the most of the rest of the world. We have already observed that a hospital, in a m major here in America totally messed up in the beginning with one case – why should the deputy have known more than the rest of us, newscasters, the man on the street................

100K to clean a one bedroom WOW there has to be some “overbilling” my understanding is it picking up some furniture, putting in bags, spraying a lot of stuff and departing what on earth could a 100K bill be !!!

[h=2]Health officials say there are 'high chances' that Briton who died in Macedonia did not have Ebola, but 'necessary measures' taken - @BBCBreaking[/h]

Which man are you referring to?

If it is the British man who died in Macedonia, then he has not actually been named yet from what I can see. He was described as a businessman on our UK news rather than a doctor.

I have had a quick look and the latest press reports were from the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail an hour ago and neither of them named him.

If he has been named in a source which isn't main stream press, I think I might treat the information with a bit of caution for the moment - particularly with the 'coincidence' of the name.....

I also cannot find any recent news reports relating to the British nurse Will Pooley. The last was about a week ago praising him for donating his plasma to help another patient. I am sure if anything had really happened to him it would be all over our news.

Train immune Ebola survivors to help medics, says UK nurse Will Pooley

Briton, who hopes to return to Sierra Leone, recalls tragic story of Douda Fullah, who lost family to virus but helps in hospital

The Guardian, Thursday 9 October 2014 16.18 EDT

The British nurse who survived Ebola has said he believes immune survivors should be trained to assist healthcare workers in the fight against the disease.

Will Pooley hopes to return to Sierra Leone after doctors advised him he would have antibodies to make him immune to the virus for months to come.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...la-survivors-help-medics-uk-nurse-will-pooley

Not with Samaritans Purse
Melissa Strickland, a spokeswoman for Boone-based Samaritan's Purse, said that the patient is not associated with the international relief agency.

"Right now we don't have anyone here who has been in that area (West Africa) in the past 30 days." Strickland said. "We have a team (in West Africa) now, but no one from that team has returned. ... Everyone here in Boone has been here for at least 30 days. When they do travel back we take all precautions."

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news...65e-5022-11e4-9aed-eb62bde154c9.html?mode=jqm

BBM: are CDC guidelines tantamount to state or federal law? <snipped>

No, they are guidelines. Other areas of the government are those that have the legal footing for enforcement. :moo:

RBBM - I keep seeing this repeated. How is this known for a fact. Link please vs. rumor as I don't believe that HIPPA would allow this to be released, and if from family... I consider...well... not a fact.

Do you mean the part about being sent home with antibiotics? It was reported many places - here's one....

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/health/ebola-us/

Duncan was sent home with painkillers and antibiotics, only to return in worse condition on September 28. That's when he was isolated.

ETA: I don't recall seeing in any links where that information came from.

At least 26 members of the U.S. House of Representatives want travel bans and visa restrictions on citizens of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the impoverished West African nations hardest hit since the worst Ebola outbreak on record.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-fears-spread-as-briton-with-symptoms-dies-1.2794023

Well, considering there are 435 representatives in the US House, that doesn't seem like very many; certainly not enough to effect significant change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72