Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to see that you are so filled with fear. I suppose that nothing I write will diminish your fear, but, consider the actions of the family and friends of full-blown ebola victims in Africa. They sleep with, handle w/o protection, clean up after, and bury victims. They wallow in ebola virus, yet most of them will be fine. Ebola is not terribly contagious, not like measles, or the flu. One very sick ebola victim will transmit the virus to 1-2 people, about like HIV. Ebola is not going to destroy life as we know it. It's quite managable in countries like ours. Once the media tires of this disease, a new one will take its place in the press. I predict it will be Chikungunya.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

Disease ridden West African countries have a 50-90% mortality rate from Ebola and that's probably under-reported due to lax record keeping.

Yes, they wallow in it. They wail and scream for their Ebola relatives to be returned home so they can "prepare the bodies" at home. In the meantime, those families handle the remains, become infected and just pass it on to their other family members, friends, and total strangers.

Am I the ONLY one alarmed by this?

Oh boy, look at they comments on that PPE video from Parkland. They are getting slammed!

The article you quoted supports what I posted last week, but yet several people took issue with me stating that there's been no known cases of Ebola being transmitted by dogs or cats.

In fact, I was attacked for my opinion last week. I had stated that almost NO diseases can be transmitted inter-species, but yet someone brought up rabies to bombast me and refute my observation.

I'll repeat that unless you're keeping bats or street rats in your home as pets, there's virtually no chance of rabies being transmitted. I'm speaking as a person who has a long history of rescuing feral cats and have been bitten more than a few times by feral cats during rescues.

The worst that has ever happened to me is severe nerve damage to my hand when bitten by a feral cat. The bacteria in the feral cat's mouth caused severe nerve damage, and yes, it took months before I regained full used of my hand, but I was never in danger of dying. But the key word here is "bacteria", not a virus. The feral cat had a bacterial infection which in my case was treated by antibiotics. It was a long recovery period, but never was I in danger of dying, and I DID regain full use of my hand once the nerves healed.

My point, again, is that HUMANS spread this disease, not animals. I read over the week-end that some animals have been known to have contact with Ebola, yet have never developed the disease themselves.

I guess you can just call me the crazy cat lady. I work regularly with feral cats and other DOMESTIC rescues and I fear more from humans than any animal.

As the person who "bombasted" (?) you, please let me remind me of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeah View Post
Is it insensitive of me to say I'm more worried about the harmless and blameless dog than the woman?

Almost NO diseases are transmittable cross species. "putting the dog down" is a knee jerk reaction, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeah View Post
I despise ignorance. This was so unnecessary and thoughtless. I'm new here so I'm just finding my way around. Not sure how to quote every post, BUT someone posted earlier that some dogs contracted Ebola from eating flesh from corpses.

Obviously, this poor dog didn't eat any flesh of a corpse since this woman is still alive. I also am skeptical about these claims.

Almost ZERO human diseases can be transmitted to animals, just like almost ZERO animal diseases can be transmitted to humans.

Forgive me for what may seem like an over-reaction to this news. I am an animal lover who fosters dogs and cats until they can find forever homes, and I've been exposed to a lot of diseases that dogs and cats carry. The worst I've ever gotten from an infected animal was ringworm.

Although unpleasant and uncomfortable, it's treatable with topical meds. I don't mean to diminish the Ebola virus in humans, but killing the dog seems like a knee jerk reaction.

Perhaps you made a mistake in what you were TRYING to say, I don't know, but what you said above is categorically false.

I provided links to back up my counter-assertion.

From WHO, "The virus [ebola] is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

From web md, here are 39 diseases you can get directly from animals. Rabies was the first one that popped in my head.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/f...animals-primer

I never said ANYTHING about cases being transmitted by dogs or cats - I was merely pointing out your blanket observation was incorrect.

I can certainly agree to disagree and move on. Can you?

Meredith Land ‏@MeredithNBC5 10m10 minutes ago
Nina Pham's dog RT @DallasShelter: FAQ's about Ebola and Bentley the dog. ”
Bz7lQa2CQAAttuE.png

Guys,

Was the thread for you all doing 1 minute ago etc etcv - or was it something I did and did not know. I would love to have it by the miunte again instead the way it just went back to -- notions?

Oh boy, look at they comments on that PPE video from Parkland. They are getting slammed!

I see many issues with this video.........maybe they should remove this, review protocol and try again. This is not how I was trained. MOO

I think she got ebola on her nose when she took off the cap.

I wish they could spray HCW with Luminol to make sure they didn't have any bodily fluids on them.

That's an interesting prospect! I wonder how expensive luminol is - if it would be cost prohibitive?

Oops, just a thought - luminol only shows blood, doesn't it? So it wouldn't work for sweat, tears, traces of vomit?

Thinking about Zuckerberg's $25 million donation to CDC... it would have been nice if he did some sort of challenge to other $$$$ people.

How much did bill gates contribute last monrh ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the link. To be clear, I was hoping for a link showing your comment,
"Primate meat from Africa is the most know cause of Ebola."
What this article says is that
bush meat is once again suspected to have been the bridge that caused the deadly disease to go from the animal world to the human one.
Bush meat also includes bats and rats, not just primates. The article goes on to say that
Human-to-human contact then becomes the primary source of infection.
So the most common cause of Ebola in humans is person to person contact, not eating bush meat. MOO

"Human-to-human contact then becomes the primary source of infection."

I'm sorry to see that you are so filled with fear. I suppose that nothing I write will diminish your fear, but, consider the actions of the family and friends of full-blown ebola victims in Africa. They sleep with, handle w/o protection, clean up after, and bury victims. They wallow in ebola virus, yet most of them will be fine. Ebola is not terribly contagious, not like measles, or the flu. One very sick ebola victim will transmit the virus to 1-2 people, about like HIV. Ebola is not going to destroy life as we know it. It's quite managable in countries like ours. Once the media tires of this disease, a new one will take its place in the press. I predict it will be Chikungunya.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

o/t My brother in law contracted chikumgunya virus just last week. I had never heard of it before.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member