Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay since we know almost everything about everyone else, I want to know about Louise, her son, the nephew and his friend.

With ebola, what exactly is going to happen as the disease progresses seems to vary. Their organs start failing because everything is so imbalanced, so we try and keep those functioning while the body fights off the virus - if the bleeding and vomiting eventually stop, the patient would be able to stabilize. It's not like advanced cancer where the related organs are being destroyed such that there is no possibility of stabilization. So it makes sense to use those measures, since it seems like there is some level of hope until the end that the person could recover. And I would think that they end up sedating the patients heavily for everyone's safety, which then can necessitate ventilation because if not it would be euthanasia.

I don't know if people have ever read about the one or two people who survived rabies, but it is interesting. The final stages of rabies involve the brain's activity going awry and ending in death. But the brain isn't actually damaged, when viewed at autopsy. The signalling just goes crazy. So they sedated these patients to the point that their brain couldn't be very active, and waited for the body to fight off the virus, while keeping them on support measures. Then they woke them up. One girl was pretty much fine. That's the best way I can think of to illustrate it - you are keeping the systems going long enough to hope that the virus can be overcome and the systems can function on their own. The signalling is off - the organs themselves may not be damaged.

We have admitted a patient with common flu-like symptoms (but no fever) who is being tested for Ebola on the basis of self-reported casual contact with a West Africa traveler. This patient is in isolation and is being monitored closely for their protection as well as the safety of our team members and the community."

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/health/2014/10/13/fl-patient-being-tested-for-ebola/17189203/

I really wish hospitals and the media would stop reporting on possible cases. It really isn't helpful IMO.

Can someone transcribe the Presser pleas? Not able to watch atm unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish hospitals and the media would stop reporting on possible cases. It really isn't helpful IMO.

Right ! It's causing more panic . It's curious this gal in Dallas was not reported as a possible, but only after a' positive' test result. So for about 10 to 15 ' possibles' over the last week, we had ONE positive. Be responsible with your words, MEDIA !

What does Ebola do to the immune system?

Once the virus enters the body, it targets several types of immune cells that represent the first line of defense against invasion.

How does Ebola cause hemorrhaging?

As the virus travels in the blood to new sites, other immune cells called macrophages eat it up. Once infected, they release proteins that trigger coagulation, forming small clots throughout the blood vessels and reducing blood supply to organs.

Does the virus target certain organs?

Ebola triggers a system-wide inflammation and fever and can also damage many types of tissues in the body, either by prompting immune cells such as macrophages to release inflammatory molecules or by direct damage: invading the cells and consuming them from within.

What ultimately kills Ebola patients?

Damage to blood vessels leads to a drop in blood pressure, and patients die from shock and multiple organ failure.

Why do some people survive infection?

Patients fare better with supportive care, including oral or intravenous rehydration that can buy time for the body to fight off infection. read more... at link

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/08/what-does-ebola-actually-do

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/08/what-does-ebola-actually-do

It's interesting that suddenly they are reporting so many "possibles". Apparently CDC has fielded quite a few "possibles" since the spring, and all Of course came back negative. They never got any press, until of course August/September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all defer to the CDC on all things virus and germ related. But does the rest of the world? Is there a body bigger or more competent than the CDC? Also is there a central disease body for continental Africa? If so, I'd like to see their page on ebola and its spread.

A non-US-centric organization would be the World Health Organization (WHO). Here is their page on Ebola: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/

Infection occurs from direct contact through broken skin or mucous membranes with the blood, or other bodily fluids or secretions (stool, urine, saliva, semen) of infected people. Infection can also occur if broken skin or mucous membranes of a healthy person come into contact with environments that have become contaminated with an Ebola patient’s infectious fluids such as soiled clothing, bed linen, or used needles.

More than 100 health-care workers have been exposed to the virus while caring for Ebola patients. This happens because they may not have been wearing personal protection equipment or were not properly applying infection prevention and control measures when caring for the patients.

CBS News ‏@CBSNews 6m6 minutes ago
CDC director: Still no idea how Dallas nurse became infected; her condition is stable

Well , that's not true because they've all been saying for 24 hrs straight it was a BREACH in protocol , which makes it seem as if she , herself, did something she was not supposed to. But the truth is they have no idea, so how do they know there was a breach? Maybe there is a " BREACH" in what protocol they are teaching nurses and doctors? I'd be pretty upset if I was her and everyone is acting like she made an error that caused this. It's clear very few in Dallas managing this are up to speed on what to do, so why blame her ? Grrr

Well, CDC says that important all hospitals in US check patients travel records. Not important to close borders because people are checked at their point of departure. ---- stresses that to stop Ebola in US have to stop it at the source in Africa. ---- looking at best way for instance best way to go in and out of room of patient with Ebola ----- imo how about same way as at level 4 labs?--- airport screening will check for fever---

CDC says no risk of getting Ebola for regular US citizens unless we go to Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member