Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit that I had assumed a lot about the "monitoring" criteria. I assumed also that "any" fever along with "having had just been involved with treating an Ebola patient" would have put a person directly into quarrantine and not on an airplane full of unsuspecting people. What exactly did "monitoring" really mean? Trusting the exposed personnel to do whatever they please? go where ever they want? I had incorrectly assumed that these people being monitored would not be allowed to travel on public transportation of any kind until the possibility of Ebola infection had been ruled out. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

I 'm with you . I thought monitoring meant something else. Apparently it means ' call us if you vomit or run fever' and otherwise , live your normal life. :(

Amber must be VERY advanced in the disease. I wonder if they have calculated how long she has had it. EEK JMO

Amber must be VERY advanced in the disease. I wonder if they have calculated how long she has had it. EEK JMO

Why do you say that? I've been trying to keep up with the posts, but I must have missed something along the way...
If nurse #2 survives this, I wonder if she'll have a job to go back to.

Per CDC, they have to have a fever of greater than 101.5 for there to be concern

Which is clearly ridiculous guidelines.
Mr. Duncan didn't have that fever first time he arrived (even thought it spiked during his visit).
Spanish nurse didn't have this fever.
This woman didn't have this fever.

If there are any lurkers here who work in hospitals who feel they are unprepared, please go to your hospital admin. If you get no results, then contact your local media. This is the only way to hold them accountable.

Per CDC, they have to have a fever of greater than 101.5 for there to be concern

I know that. What I posted was that I had assumed that "any" fever put with any contact with an Ebola patient, would have been justification for quarrantine of the affected person. I think that the "threshold" should be changed to "any" fever.

If there are any lurkers here who work in hospitals who feel they are unprepared, please go to your hospital admin. If you get no results, then contact your local media. This is the only way to hold them accountable.

Well, from what we are hearing, that would be "most."

I admit that I had assumed a lot about the "monitoring" criteria. I assumed also that "any" fever along with "having had just been involved with treating an Ebola patient" would have put a person directly into quarrantine and not on an airplane full of unsuspecting people. What exactly did "monitoring" really mean? Trusting the exposed personnel to do whatever they please? go where ever they want? I had incorrectly assumed that these people being monitored would not be allowed to travel on public transportation of any kind until the possibility of Ebola infection had been ruled out. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

I think there was a level of trust. Nurses are licensed and there were protocols to be followed including the one about self-reporting and avoiding commercial aircraft. The nurse knew it and did what she wanted.

JMO

Why do you say that? I've been trying to keep up with the posts, but I must have missed something along the way...

Not cady, but having the same thought. They're staying Duncan- patient zero - was most contagious September 28-30. Nina and Amber were heavily involved with his care during this time. On Friday- October 10th- Nina Pham went the the Presby ER with Ebola-like symptoms. On that same day- Amber Vinson boarded a flight to Cleveland, Ohio.

The progression of ebola can vary from person to person but I believe Amber could be further along in her illness than Nina.

jmo

This last case sort of resembles Typhoid Mary and Gaetan Dugas, that is, selfishly going on with your life without concern for others.

An air ambulance landed at Love Field 20 minutes ago. News says nurse 2 is being prepped to go by ambulance to Love Field. kxas.com

I know that. What I posted was that I had assumed that "any" fever put with any contact with an Ebola patient, would have been justification for quarrantine of the affected person. I think that the "threshold" should be changed to "any" fever.

Yes, and we posted earlier about 'normal' temperatures vary from person to person. My normal is 97.1. Is my threshold still 101.5?

Real question from our healthcare peeps.

NBCdfw at 4pm has spotted an air ambulance at Love Field. There are also several police cars so they 'suspect' that this is the air ambulance that will take the nurse to Atlanta. This has not been confirmed but the news station is keeping watch.

Which is clearly ridiculous guidelines.
Mr. Duncan didn't have that fever first time he arrived (even thought it spiked during his visit).
Spanish nurse didn't have this fever.
This woman didn't have this fever.

Factor in acetaminophen and ibuprofen use and the 'threshold temperature rule' goes out the airplane window.... moo

Didn't Friedman say one time that you can't get ebola when riding on the bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87