Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my, she's so young. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then she has a better chance for recovery, being young and healthy. Even though ZMapp is not available, we have a whole bunch of different antivirals. They should definitely start her on antiviral meds right now without waiting for decline.
by the way, she is Asian. Remember there is a poster who was asking whether nurse was Asian, because posters' daughter met in a bar with an Asian nurse who said she worked at the hospital?
Did daughter met with this nurse?
Yikes.

CDC Freiden

I feel awful that a HC worker became infected in the care of an ebola patient. She was there trying to help the first patient survive. She has become infected.

The enemy here is the virus ebola.

Not finding fault with hospital or staff. Im sorry if that was the impression

CDC says no risk of getting Ebola for regular US citizens unless we go to Africa

Is that a joke ? Did the CDC just now say that ? If that is true then why is anyone going into apartments of patients in protective gear? Why splatter the neighborhood with information about Ebola? Why quarantine and watch any ' contacts' of the patients? They must think we're stupid!!!!!!!!!

CDC Freiden

I feel awful that a HC worker became infected in the care of an ebola patient. She was there trying to help the first patient survive. She has become infected.

I think it was wrong for CDC to claim there was a breech of protocol, when they can not identify what this breech was. But at least he apologized.

Is that a joke ? Did the CDC just now say that ? If that is true then why is anyone going into apartments of patients in protective gear? Why splatter the neighborhood with information about Ebola? Why quarantine and watch any ' contacts' of the patients? They must think we're stupid!!!!!!!!!

I think it's true in general unless you are a contact of a patient. But there are only two patients (so far) so for general population risk is very low.

CDC Freiden

I'll forgive only when he suits up the same as this nurse did and go in and visit and assist in her care as she is struggling to survive, then maybe i'll forgive him. jmo idk

Then she has a better chance for recovery, being young and healthy. Even though ZMapp is not available, we have a whole bunch of different antivirals. They should definitely start her on antiviral meds right now without waiting for decline.
by the way, she is Asian. Remember there is a poster who was asking whether nurse was Asian, because posters' daughter met in a bar with an Asian nurse who said she worked at the hospital?
Did daughter met with this nurse?
Yikes.

That was me I sent her the pictures she said no its not her.. Thanks for thinking of us though.

It almost seems like people with Ebola are doing everything they can to get to a westernized country so they have access to better treatment. That should be enough to close the borders.

"The threat of Ebola has sparked fear and paranoia among many people in countries outside of Africa, with calls to halt airline traffic with places affected by the epidemic. "

http://rt.com/news/195452-ebola-scare-prague-railway/

Well, CDC says that important all hospitals in US check patients travel records. Not important to close borders because people are checked at their point of departure. ---- stresses that to stop Ebola in US have to stop it at the source in Africa. ---- looking at best way for instance best way to go in and out of room of patient with Ebola ----- imo how about same way as at level 4 labs?--- airport screening will check for fever---

I still do not get the reasoning behind not allowing people with a passport from one of the effected countries to come to the US! And we are supposed to believe that these other countries are screening properly? And if they are asymptomatic when they arrive and 2 days later start developing symptoms its our people,our money that are being sacrificed. Nobody is saying people can't go to those countries to help,just don't send them here.
Am I missing something? To me it makes perfect sense,but maybe that's why I'm not the head of the CDC!

I listened to part of the CDC presser and what I did hear wasn't truthful. Frieden said that CDC guidelines for PPE are the same as those used by MSF/Doctor's Without Borders. I'm pretty sure that is not the case. If you look at the CDC page on guidelines for healthcare workers, it is clearly different from what MSF does in the field. CDC instructs workers to wash hands if contaminated during removal and immediately after removal of all PPE. MSF decontaminates before removal of ANY PPE. Futhermore, they also wear aprons over their jumpsuits, head covers, and heavy duty boots. CDC doesn't recommend any of that at this time.

It does sound like they are working to change protocols, though. He mentioned having a buddy observe the person donning and doffing gear and spraying down the person to decontaminate before removal.

I listened to part of the CDC presser and what I did hear wasn't truthful. Frieden said that CDC guidelines for PPE are the same as those used by MSF/Doctor's Without Borders. I'm pretty sure that is not the case. If you look at the CDC page on guidelines for healthcare workers, it is clearly different from what MSF does in the field. CDC instructs workers to wash hands if contaminated during removal and immediately after removal of all PPE. MSF decontaminates before removal of ANY PPE. Futhermore, they also wear aprons over their jumpsuits, head covers, and heavy duty boots. CDC doesn't recommend any of that at this time.

It does sound like they are working to change protocols, though. He mentioned having a buddy observe the person donning and doffing gear and spraying down the person to decontaminate before removal.

I agree. It's not the same. Doctors without borders wear a suit. Not just a gown.
"The yellow suit that MSF [Medecins Sans Frontieres] uses is [made of] a woven plastic fiber. And they throw a laminate on it. It's very fluid impervious. But to work, it has to be used in conjunction with a set of behaviors and procedures."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandso...ebola-out-so-how-can-a-health-worker-catch-it

Well , that's not true because they've all been saying for 24 hrs straight it was a BREACH in protocol , which makes it seem as if she , herself, did something she was not supposed to. But the truth is they have no idea, so how do they know there was a breach? Maybe there is a " BREACH" in what protocol they are teaching nurses and doctors? I'd be pretty upset if I was her and everyone is acting like she made an error that caused this. It's clear very few in Dallas managing this are up to speed on what to do, so why blame her ? Grrr

Probably because people just love to BLAME. Seriously, why cast aspersions on ANYONE? This is an old disease that has probably mutated numerous times, and this is a new GLOBAL event, for humans to deal with. We are learning as fast as we can. Especially the professionals. And the media are flubbing up as much as everyone else. I just hope when we finally get the real scoop, that the disease will not have mutated again. So far, these nurse cases just don't make sense. UGH. JMO

This is interesting. Sorry if it's been posted.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/loca...k-ebola-waste-disposal-in-louisiana/17180885/

'''Louisiana attorney general Buddy Caldwell is filing a temporary restraining order to keep incinerated Ebola waste in Texas.

Caldwell plans to block the disposal of potentially contaminated items from Thomas Duncan's apartment at a landfill in Louisiana, citing "too many unknowns" about the disease in a press release.''''

Oh FGS!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Way to play in to the hysteria, although I'm not surprised. Politics being played as usual.......

that applies to non health care people - did recently read somewhere another quote from him - along the lines of you can sit next to someone with ebola on a bus and not get it

oh here it is:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ebola-spreads-26135907
Ebola: How It Spreads
Oct 12, 2014, 11:04 AM ET
By The Associated Press

WHAT ABOUT MORE CASUAL CONTACT?

Ebola isn't airborne. Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has said people don't get exposed by sitting next to someone on the bus.
"This is not like flu. It's not like measles, not like the common cold. It's not as spreadable, it's not as infectious as those conditions," he added.

It almost seems like people with Ebola are doing everything they can to get to a westernized country so they have access to better treatment. That should be enough to close the borders.

"The threat of Ebola has sparked fear and paranoia among many people in countries outside of Africa, with calls to halt airline traffic with places affected by the epidemic. "

http://rt.com/news/195452-ebola-scare-prague-railway/

Please provide a link to back up the bit in bold.

There has been ONE person so far - Mr Duncan. There is no cast iron evidence that he knew he had Ebola when he arrived in the US.

Where are all these people with Ebola trying to get to a Westernised country?

This article refers to some poor guy with a cold who was not even from a country with any cases of Ebola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay