Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"While under voluntary quarantine guidelines, which called for our team to avoid public contact for 21 days, members of our group violated those guidelines and understand that our quarantine is now mandatory until 21 days have passed. We remain healthy and our temperatures are normal.
As a health professional I know that we have no symptoms and pose no risk to the public, but I am deeply sorry for the concerns this episode caused. We are thrilled that Ashoka is getting better and our thoughts continue to be with the thousands affected by Ebola whose stories we all went to cover."

I think the Doc needs to use her "I" statements, like "I violated the guidelines." Her team must just be loving this - not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/14/nancy-snyderman-ebola-quarantine_n_5981154.html

JMO

"While under voluntary quarantine guidelines, which called for our team to avoid public contact for 21 days, members of our group violated those guidelines and understand that our quarantine is now mandatory until 21 days have passed. We remain healthy and our temperatures are normal.
As a health professional I know that we have no symptoms and pose no risk to the public, but I am deeply sorry for the concerns this episode caused. We are thrilled that Ashoka is getting better and our thoughts continue to be with the thousands affected by Ebola whose stories we all went to cover."

I think the Doc needs to use her "I" statements, like "I violated the guidelines." Her team must just be loving this - not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/14/nancy-snyderman-ebola-quarantine_n_5981154.html

JMO

Not accepted.

In a nutshell, he is claiming that if we prohibit legal air travel from these countries, they will get here via alternate routes, illegally, and then they will be here and we won't know it.

That is silly! What alternative routes? Without air travel they aren't even going to TRY to flee to the U.S. The closest they will get is to Europe by boat IF they can cross through North Africa to reach the ocean (and if refugees try to cross into Egypt, Libya, Algeria and bring a risk of infection they will be dealt with very harshly in those countries).

Nobody agrees with this more than me. That said, I just came across this (long) article this morning where Dr. Friedman claims this won't work. You can read his reasons why, some I which I call 'bs'.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2014/10/13/ebola-travel/

In a nutshell, he is claiming that if we prohibit legal air travel from these countries, they will get here via alternate routes, illegally, and then they will be here and we won't know it. Or...they will escape to other neighboring countries and create an outbreak there. In my view, these things can/will happen regardless of whether we ban legal air travel.

I'm just hearing a discussion about banning air travel and Dr. Friedman . Apparently at some point in his trying to rationalize why we aren't stopping flights, he says he consulted business leaders and it would have economic consequences if we cut off air travel from these countries!! Are you kidding me?!!! Are we really basing this on economics? What about the economic impact if this continues to spread?
Can anyone find out if he really said this?!!

Does anyone know why Nina's significant other is in iso at the hospital and yet Duncan's gf and the others were just left in the apt?

Does anyone know why Nina's significant other is in iso at the hospital and yet Duncan's gf and the others were just left in the apt?

The hospital said Sunday that one “close contact” of Pham had been “proactively placed in isolation.” Ngo described that person as a friend of Pham.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-dallas-ebola-20141013-story.html

Before Pham became ill, Ngo said, her mother had urged her to quit, saying the work was dangerous. She refused.

“She was not scared to care for Mr. Duncan,” said Kim Tran, a parishioner and a friend of Pham’s mother.

“I recall her words exactly,” Tran said. “‘Mother, I assure you I am OK. I am taking care of the patient. He needs me.’”

Same reason they didn't disinfect the apartment that Duncan was sick in for 5 days, yet they disinfected the nurses apartment building asap.

They are making up the protocol as they go along.

That is silly! What alternative routes? Without air travel they aren't even going to TRY to flee to the U.S. The closest they will get is to Europe by boat IF they can cross through North Africa to reach the ocean (and if refugees try to cross into Egypt, Libya, Algeria and bring a risk of infection they will be dealt with very harshly in those countries).

Maybe he's afraid they will come here by snowmobile over the polar icecap. :scared:

Same reason they didn't disinfect the apartment that Duncan was sick in for 5 days, yet they disinfected the nurses apartment building asap.

I believe that. One thing I noticed was the difference in the protective wear the health care workers wear versus what the clean up workers wear. If I had to do either job it would be the clean up people, much better protection to me from the pics that have been shown. jmo idk

They are destroying/destroyed all her possessions, correct? Only 2 things were saved from the Dallas apt, a photo album and I forget what the second item was. Just something I wondered.

WHO ‏@WHO 18m18 minutes ago
Dr Aylward: By December 2014, 5,000 to 10,000 #Ebola cases per week anticipated in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone

I'm just hearing a discussion about banning air travel and Dr. Friedman . Apparently at some point in his trying to rationalize why we aren't stopping flights, he says he consulted business leaders and it would have economic consequences if we cut off air travel from these countries!! Are you kidding me?!!! Are we really basing this on economics? What about the economic impact if this continues to spread?
Can anyone find out if he really said this?!!

I'm sure the expense to the hospital and to Dallas that was incurred with Duncan is more than enough to offset any money that was made at all. So ridiculous the US more concerned about money than lives..AGAIN! I still say this is not the reason, and they have these lame *advertiser censored* excuses for their stupid logic...like Hey our country is broke, lets get in debt further by bailing out banks and printing money!! And you citizens can pay us back later for it..since you got NOTHING I repeat NOTHING out of the deal except more debt..but you helped out the crooked banksters that rob you blind again and thats all it is about anyway.
SORRY for the rant! JMO!

Just want to add, every time we have to quarantine a plane/passengers due to ebola scare..MORE money down the tubes..this is not making us money, this is pure one hundred percent waste...for all involved. How many thousands of dollars have been lost due to all these ebola scares? LOTS!

They are destroying/destroyed all her possessions, correct? Only 2 things were saved from the Dallas apt, a photo album and I forget what the second item was. Just something I wondered.

But why??? They say the Ebola virus dies a few hours after drying out on a hard surface, so why destroy everything in an apartment that will be empty for weeks? That makes no sense, but then sadly very little of this does.

IDK just speculating that the home where Louise is staying is set up to monitor them all very closely, like I said earlier, I imagine that home set up as a study lab.
JMO

JMO

I would think it's going to be very difficult for the good doctor to keep her job after this display of arrogance. I live where this happened and just the sheer panic it has caused among the children in our town and those towns nearby should be enough for heads to roll, IMO. I wonder if Dr. Snyderman is ashamed of her blatant disregard of the imposed voluntary quarantine and of the public's outcry or if she really is just that out of touch? Her kids must be mortified.

[h=3]Hospital officials: Kansas City patient at risk for Ebola[/h]
While the hospital cannot rule out Ebola at this time, Dr. Lee Norman, chief medical officer of The University of Kansas Hospital, says the patient is at low to moderate risk of Ebola.
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/26...ola?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They will have his test results later today. I watched the PC yesterday and was so very impressed with this hospital and Dr. He said when the pt arrived he was too weak to even walk. I really hope he doesn't have Ebola.

Searched but can't find any media references to what became of her household belongings. Anyone?

ETA: I agree with the poster who mentioned the fact that the EBV is not contractible on hard surfaces after a period of time, therefore why destroy them...however, I'd definitely be concerned about fabric items, such as sofas, chairs, mattresses, pillows, etc.

The hospital said Sunday that one “close contact” of Pham had been “proactively placed in isolation.” Ngo described that person as a friend of Pham.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-dallas-ebola-20141013-story.html

Before Pham became ill, Ngo said, her mother had urged her to quit, saying the work was dangerous. She refused.

“She was not scared to care for Mr. Duncan,” said Kim Tran, a parishioner and a friend of Pham’s mother.

“I recall her words exactly,” Tran said. “‘Mother, I assure you I am OK. I am taking care of the patient. He needs me.’”

A mothers instincts?

This is so sad and should never have happened.
The young nurse, Nina, wanted to help care for Duncan, yet she was trusting blindly in an unprepared system.
Big prayers for you Nina, and for the family!

JMO

But why??? They say the Ebola virus dies a few hours after drying out on a hard surface, so why destroy everything in an apartment that will be empty for weeks? That makes no sense, but then sadly very little of this does.

Great point.
Is it cited anywhere just how long it does live on surfaces? The grocery cart, a gas pump, CASH?
My daughter and I had this convo last night, she can barely grasp it at her young age.

JMO

Admin. Was winging it the first time around? After that they put their heads together and made a plan? Like Katrina, there is always a first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay