Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
British 'Ebola victim' in Macedonia did NOT have the disease and died after massive drinking binge, health officials say

Officials say Colin Jaffay, 58 did not die of the deadly Ebola virus
Mr Jaffray had been suspected of being the first UK victim to die
But tests have shown that he had not contracted the infection
It is believed that a drinking binge may played a part in this death
Had 'all symptoms of Ebola', but also been seen drinking 'large quantities'
Public Health England investigating but believe death 'unlikely' to be Ebola
The epidemic has killed 4,000 and infected at least 8,000 so far

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...binge-health-officials-say.html#ixzz3G8IZzfne

British 'Ebola victim' in Macedonia did NOT have the disease and died after massive drinking binge, health officials say

Officials say Colin Jaffay, 58 did not die of the deadly Ebola virus
Mr Jaffray had been suspected of being the first UK victim to die
But tests have shown that he had not contracted the infection
It is believed that a drinking binge may played a part in this death
Had 'all symptoms of Ebola', but also been seen drinking 'large quantities'
Public Health England investigating but believe death 'unlikely' to be Ebola
The epidemic has killed 4,000 and infected at least 8,000 so far

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...binge-health-officials-say.html#ixzz3G8IZzfne

That's way too much drinking going on there.. Way too much!

[h=1]Why was one ‘ebola dog’ saved while the other was euthanized?[/h]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

You can keep an exposed dog in isolation — but when do you let them out?

We know so little about dogs and Ebola that we've got no idea how long to quarantine a suspected carrier of the disease. There just hasn't been enough research done.

The same way they know when to let PEOPLE that have been infected out! Test them to SEE if they are infected and if they are test them again to make SURE the live virus is gone before releasing them.

Just like the Dr. Brantly case, they tested to make SURE he wasn't carrying the live virus anymore. They didn't just "guess" at it and say "well, he is probably okay now, so let's let him leave with his family".

I live in Richmond and am now beyond worried about ebola! I also work in a library...scares me to think that ebola could be on materials returned that I have to handle. I saw the RVA news last night and they had video footage of two people about to leave the Crossover Ministry Clinic in a van. A man with a baseball jacket over his head, with a woman clinic worker helping him keep the jacket covering his face as he got in behind the wheel. Another woman, without hiding her face, got into the passenger seat. The reporter asked the clinic worker where the two were going, and I can't remember her exact response. Then the two were followed as they were entering the emergency room at MCV/VCU Medical Center. Neither the man nor woman had masks on, or were covering their faces. IMO it is the woman who is suspected of having ebola. The reporter, for NBC12, also with no mask or gloves, reported that the patient was not going to be tested for ebola because she did not meet the criteria...eg she only had a low grade fever, she was not bleeding, did not have diarrhea, wasn't vomiting. He said the CDC determined that she did not need to be tested. This was on the 11:00 pm o'clock news. I was livid because these symptoms don't necessarily show up early on. But it turns out we were not being told truthful information, because apparently she was tested for ebola, and the press conference will be soon. We deserve and need the truth...why all the misinformation? My son works at VCU University and will soon fly to CA. Luckily he doesn't have a layover in Dallas, but at this point should he even go to work? He has gotten no info from mgmt about precautions to take. There is a total breakdown in communication, and if I get ebola I want to go to one of the 4 facilities trained for this. End rant. JMO

Dr. Gupta demonstrates cdc protective gear and how easy it is to be exposed.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/health/2014/10/14/sgmd-gupta-ebola-suit-demo.cnn.html

ETA, If this is the best he can do, there is no way I would let this guy operate on me.

He was trying to illustrate how easy it is to get infected.
I am pretty sure he can do better because he had years of training. His point is, that it's hard to do, especially for someone without years of training.

Anything? This makes me very nervous. If it was a no,it seems like it would be easy. If its delayed does that mean they are getting ready for the backlash?

Per twitter presser is back on and he will give link once he has it

Why is Washington one of the 5 airports screening. The way they are reporting it the busiest airports were selected

In terms of passenger boardings they come in at 22 and 23?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...iest_US_airports_by_total_passenger_boardings

I think it's because of location. DFW is a huge airport in terms of passengers. But , to get to DFW you have to come through one of the ' port' ( i believe this is the term ) airports for international travel. Anyone flying in from that direction, like Africa or Europe, has to go through NY or DC or ATL to go through customs and then hop another plane to get into the more interior airports. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone who knows better. tia

I think it's because of location. DFW is a huge airport in terms of passengers. But , to get to DFW you have to come through one of the ' port' ( i believe this is the term ) airports for international travel. Anyone flying in from that direction, like Africa or Europe, has to go through NY or DC or ATL to go through customs and then hop another plane to get into the more interior airports. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone who knows better. tia

There are direct flights from DFW to & from Europe. Just speculation on my part but I wonder if the airline flights are less expensive when you use connecting flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB