Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the treatment folks overthere a getting:

We administer treatment for malaria, start patients on antibiotics, paracetamol, multivitamins, rehydration supplements, food, water and juice while they wait for their results. Sometimes people have arrived too late and die shortly after arriving.

Antibiotivs do nothing for virus.
paracetamol is Tylonal.
Juice and food.

WIth what we have seen at Emory, a location which has been dealing with this for long time as a "speciality" it IMO, is easy to understand the numbers over there. Enviroment plus treatment above - pretty well confirms the prognosis -especially in terms of how long it took the Emory folks to to cure several people

http://www.sott.net/article/285977-...e-computer-models-are-predicting-Ebola-deaths

Why is Washington one of the 5 airports screening. The way they are reporting it the busiest airports were selected

In terms of passenger boardings they come in at 22 and 23?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busie

They come in at 9 in international travelers?

With all this going on folks that want to avoid screening just do a different routing. Would it not make sense to truly do the top 5 busiest peroid?

I thought it had to do with who had the most incoming international passengers. Or that's what I thought they said on the news.( My listening is not always the best.)

I live in Richmond and am now beyond worried about ebola! I also work in a library...scares me to think that ebola could be on materials returned that I have to handle. I saw the RVA news last night and they had video footage of two people about to leave the Crossover Ministry Clinic in a van. A man with a baseball jacket over his head, with a woman clinic worker helping him keep the jacket covering his face as he got in behind the wheel. Another woman, without hiding her face, got into the passenger seat. The reporter asked the clinic worker where the two were going, and I can't remember her exact response. Then the two were followed as they were entering the emergency room at MCV/VCU Medical Center. Neither the man nor woman had masks on, or were covering their faces. IMO it is the woman who is suspected of having ebola. The reporter, for NBC12, also with no mask or gloves, reported that the patient was not going to be tested for ebola because she did not meet the criteria...eg she only had a low grade fever, she was not bleeding, did not have diarrhea, wasn't vomiting. He said the CDC determined that she did not need to be tested. This was on the 11:00 pm o'clock news. I was livid because these symptoms don't necessarily show up early on. But it turns out we were not being told truthful information, because apparently she was tested for ebola, and the press conference will be soon. We deserve and need the truth...why all the misinformation? My son works at VCU University and will soon fly to CA. Luckily he doesn't have a layover in Dallas, but at this point should he even go to work? He has gotten no info from mgmt about precautions to take. There is a total breakdown in communication, and if I get ebola I want to go to one of the 4 facilities trained for this. End rant. JMO

I need to correct myself, as I rewatched the newscast and both the man and woman were wearing masks when they entered the ER at VCU/MCV. However, last night we are told she didn't meet the criteria to be tested, then this morning they announce that she tested negative for ebola. If the director of the CDC urges all hospitals to "think ebola" then why on EARTH would someone who had recently traveled from Liberia, presenting with a low-grade fever, NOT be tested??? Just because she stated she wasn't around anyone with ebola? And (sarcasm here) we all know that everyone in Liberia is honest about their health status when it pertains to ebola? Quite frankly, I don't trust what the CDC, gov't, or media has to say!

Humans can transmit parvo from a dog to another dog, right? Humans cannot catch parvo but can carry it between dogs on their shoes and such.

I also volunteer at a no kill shelter. It's true that if a dog has parvo that a human can carry the disease into their home and infect their own pets or other animals in a shelter. The way parvo is carried is via the caretakers clothes and skin. Obviously, people volunteering in animal shelters are not covered in CDC approved Hazmat suits.

That's STILL not a case of inter-species infection. Humans cannot catch parvo. They can only carry the disease to other animals they come into contact with via clothing and skin contact.

I also volunteer at a no kill shelter. It's true that if a dog has parvo that a human can carry the disease into their home and infect their own pets or other animals in a shelter.

That's STILL not a case of inter-species infection. Humans cannot catch parvo. They can only carry the disease to other animals they come into contact with.

I see. I guess I missed the point of the initial question. I thought it was pondering whether or not the nurses' dog could ' transmit ebola' to another human, even though the dog cannot catch it herself. It would be a case of inter species transmission, NOT inter species infection, correct?

My point, again, is that HUMANS spread this disease, not animals. I read over the week-end that some animals have been known to have contact with Ebola, yet have never developed the disease themselves.

I guess you can just call me the crazy cat lady. I work regularly with feral cats and other DOMESTIC rescues and I fear more from humans than any animal.

You are very wise. Thank you for the good work that you do and for spreading COMMON SENSE which is apparently all too rare in this country these days, at least among the folks that claim to be in charge.

My faith in the Governments ability to handle a crisis was pretty low before this....and now it is non-existent.

The talking points! on this angle I believe were airports with the most fomr there. Once determined to get somewehere, they will just go to another airport except 5! But IMO this is a waste of money and resourves, and typical knee jerk reaction. I would rather have all that money spent on educating the public about the siturion.

Moreover the notion that folks from the second poorest nation on the planet has the resources to do so, in conjunction with it is probably reasonable to conclude that many have stopped school in the 5th grade, just the capablilty of a 10 year old (educationally) to navigate all that is involved in internationial air travel these days-IMO I doubt lots and lots of folks are planning to do so - not being snarky- just realistic-where would then put thier clothes, in a garbage bag prior to takeoff.

On the other hand if we are talking about folks over there that have both financial resources and educationl background those folks also have the ability to fly into one of the 874 airport options.

Lets be honest we have not really done all that well with keeping terrorist cells from forming here so its not realy something we have done all that well.

TSA is good with taking shoes off!!

(dont know the number but your with me)
I thought it had to do with who had the most incoming international passengers. Or that's what I thought they said on the news.( My listening is not always the best.)

[h=3]Nigeria[/h] 2m [h=2]WHO may declare Nigeria and Senegal Ebola-free within days - @Reuters

[/h]
http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2014/10/14/liberias-transport-minister-put-herself-into-voluiberia's transport minister put herself into voluntary quarantine after driver died from Ebola, per statement - @Reuters[h=2][/h]

PPE Procedures for Suspected Ebola Patients for Parkland Memorial Hospital. Doesn't seem like these procedures are enough to protect our health care professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNKJL1_ejg

Seems like it would be safer to have as many layer of gloves as you do layers plus one. Here 3 to start seems like it would be better.
This video she starts with only 2 sets of gloves. First one comes off first thing. Followed by gown and boots. Last set of gloves comes off the normal way. Hands washed another set of gloves put on to take off safety glasses, bonnet and mask.
They need to spray them down once they get out b/c if this was real the bottoms of her pants and shoes could be contaminated. She did a pretty good job not having to touch her face to get any of it off but could particles be displaced and dropped off those items onto her clothing?

After watching all these how to take them off videos we need to have more protection for the Drs and nurses helping infected patients.

From the link. :)
Can I get Ebola from my dog or cat?
At this time, there have been no reports of dogs or cats becoming sick with Ebola or of being able to spread Ebola to people or animals. The chances of a dog or cat being exposed to Ebola virus in the Unite States is very low as they would have to come into contact with blood and body fluids of a symptomatic person sick with Ebola.

Can my pet’s body, fur, or paws spread Ebola to a person?
We do not yet know whether or not a pet’s body, paws, or fur can pick up and spread Ebola to people or other animals. It is important to keep people and animals away from blood or body fluids of a person with symptoms of Ebola infection.

ETA Obviously with more cases and more of them having animals, these can be changed.
BBM, they do not KNOW if it can happen or can not happen.

Can my pet’s body, fur, or paws spread Ebola to a person?
We do not yet know whether or not a pet’s body, paws, or fur can pick up and spread Ebola to people or other animals. It is important to keep people and animals away from blood or body fluids of a person with symptoms of Ebola infection.

Read the above statement again and let us insert the word "door handle/gas pump" instead of "pet's body, fur or paws".

Should we destroy door handles and/or gas pumps just to be sure NONE of those things become infected with Ebola body fluids and then get touched by the public?

Has anyone, in any report heard reporter mention that only half of the reported 8000 case were laboratory confirmed, ion the second poorest nation on earth. A place is the riddled with all sorts of maladies that have fever, bowel, stomach symptoms. Half is prey significant number

[h=6]Total Cases: 8400[/h] [h=6]Laboratory-Confirmed Cases: 4656[/h] [h=6]Total Deaths: 4033[/h] http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/index.html

While over here in the last couple weeks we have been testing like crazy, quarantine etc and been wrong!

If we put that in context we can say we KNOW of 4000 cases, in last t e la hast 10 months, in three impoverished locales that –

[h=2]Military medic who has tested positive for Ebola at Freetown peacekeeping training center is not part of force being sent to Somalia, Sierra Leone armed forces spokesman says - @Reuter[/h]
Thus far as it continues we are seeing a pattern in that the positives do seem to be coming from folks in healthcare, which had in one or anther direct contact with a infected person

Ebola-Infected Nurse Nina Pham Says She Is 'Doing Well'

The Dallas nurse infected with Ebola virus while treating patient Thomas Eric Duncan says she is doing well and grateful for her care. "I'm doing well and want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and prayers,” Nina Pham said Tuesday in a statement released by the hospital. “I am blessed by the support of family and friends and am blessed to be cared for by the best team of doctors and nurses in the world here at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...d-nurse-nina-pham-says-she-doing-well-n225571

That link is to a forum and the post dates are from 2011 - probably not current info.

But it gives a pretty good idea about direct flights from and to Europe and USA.

I knew about direct flights from Amsterdam/NL to Houston, TX. Or Frankfurt/Germany to San Fransisco, CA. Some years ago, I fly from Basel/Switzerland directly to Los Angelos, CA. Those are just a few examples. On the link I posted are many more.

Read the above statement again and let us insert the word "door handle/gas pump" instead of "pet's body, fur or paws".

Should we destroy door handles and/or gas pumps just to be sure NONE of those things become infected with Ebola body fluids and then get touched by the public?

I didn't say dogs of ebola patients should be destroyed. But I would not be surprised if they , in fact, can carry it from one patient to another. The CDC does not know if they can but knowing what dogs do if they see vomit anywhere, I would not be surprised at all to learn that they can carry it from person to person.

Just curious - has Duncan's family made a statement about the nurse who contracted Ebola while caring for him? Or. . . just nothing? It seems like it would be a gracious thing to do.

Hi Sonya!

Again, I'll repeat I fear HUMANS more than animals. At this point, I fear that by handling currency at the grocery store that I'll be infected by sweat from someone who handled the currency.

I fear that groceries that I pick off the shelf may have been touched by an Ebola contaminated person. I fear almost anything I touch outside of my own home may be infected.

I know the CDC CLAIMS that the disease isn't contagious until symptoms develop. The CDC also claims by the time someone has symptoms they're too sick to get out of bed.

I don't trust that presumption, though. A lot of people have to show up at work, whether deathly sick or not because they're living paycheck to paycheck and have to pay their bills, rent, and feed their families.

I no longer feel safe with human contact. Not worried at all about animal contact as I've mentioned previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB